the NFL thread

Comments

• edited September 2014 Posts: 2,341
    @timmer I am not gonna knock you but why pick a different team every year. Why not find one and stick with them. I adopted the 49ers when I was in High School growing up in Texas. I've been with them so long, I just can't root for anyone else.

@Kerim, we are gonna have to settle with the first place Cards this week. Hearing that division foe, Seattle had gone down in flames too made me feel a little better but I am still upset at our sloppy play and Kaep's genrosity.
    Congratulations to San Diego on beating Seattle yesterday.
  • edited September 2014 Posts: 4,622
    OHMSS69 wrote: »
    @timmer I am not gonna knock you but why pick a different team every year. Why not find one and stick with them. I adopted the 49ers when I was in High School growing up in Texas. I've been with them so long, I just can't root for anyone else.
    I pick a different team every year because I have no natural loyalty to any NFL team. I grew up with the CFL. My team are the Toronto Argonauts. I watch all their games along with as much NFL as I can add.
    Even though Buffalo is only a two hour drive, have never had any loyalty to the Buffalo Bills or any Buffalo team for that matter. They are a regional rival in hockey. We don't cheer for anything Buffalo here, at least most of us don't. The Bills don't have any homefield advantage when they play games here, which is one of the reasons the Bills in Toronto series has been scrapped.
    We need our own NFL team. I would fold the CFL Argos and continue the franchise as the NFL Argonauts. The CFL could get by without a Toronto team.
    I came too late to the NFL party to have formed any team loyalty. The Argos have always been my team.

RogueAgent wrote: »
    Congratulations to San Diego on beating Seattle yesterday.

That was somewhat unexpected. Thought the Seahawks might romp thru the schedule, but the Rivers-Gates combo proved lethal.
    Years ago when they used to televise CFL games, I had an affection for the Calgary team (Roughriders, I think) anyway, I would still root for that team if I were to ever followthe CFL again. So how are the Rough Riders doing these days?

As for defending champs Seattle, they are new at this and now they will see how difficult it is to repeat. Every week the opposing team is gonna be playing "above their heads" especially in front of their home crowd. As the season wears on attrition and this constant playing teams at their best will take its toll.
    As a fan of a five time champion team, I know.
    Years ago when they used to televise CFL games, I had an affection for the Calgary team (Roughriders, I think) anyway, I would still root for that team if I were to ever followthe CFL again. So how are the Rough Riders doing these days?

As for defending champs Seattle, they are new at this and now they will see how difficult it is to repeat. Every week the opposing team is gonna be playing "above their heads" especially in front of their home crowd. As the season wears on attrition and this constant playing teams at their best will take its toll.
    As a fan of a five time champion team, I know.

Its the Calgary Stampeders and the Saskatchewan Roughriders. Both teams are doing quite well in the CFL West. Roughriders are the defending Grey Cup champs while the Stamps are powerhouse this year with 10-1 record. Riders are a couple of games behind them.
    Stampeders overcame a 26 point 2nd quarter deficit to beat the Argos on Saturday. Frustrating as hell to watch. Once they got rolling, you just knew they were coming back all the way which they did. Argos are a bad team. They are only 3 and 8. Not a schock that they can't hold a big lead.

Every CFL team is allowed I think 12 Americans. We get all the guys that can't stick with NFL teams. Many of the Americans have great careers here and make good money. All the CFL quarterbacks are Americans. We developed both Warren Moon, and more recently Jeff Garcia for you.
    Joe Theisman broke in with the Argos but I don't count that as development, as Toronto threw so much money at him he had to come here, before he returned to where he belonged, to NFL fame and fortune in Washington.
    Argos had Doug Flutie for a bit too, between his NFL stints.
    I guess you are right about Russell Wilson and company. Everyone will be gunning for them this year, especially after what they did to the Packers on opening night.
    btw my Redskins loyalty could change midstream. My NFL loyalties are very fickle. I just know I will never cheer for the Bills.

I can speak for everyone here in Chicago that last nights game was a huge (pleaant) surprise. Love seeing this city when football is in full swing
    Will someone tell me why the high powered Saints cannot win on the road? In their history they have only won one road playoff game (last season BTW). The tell tale was back in 2010 when as defending champs they came to Seattle for a playoff game and got their butts handed to them by a 7-9 team. Shameful...the next week Seattle goes to Chicago and gets the stuffings beat out of them. Seahawks looked like what they were against the Bears, a 7-9 team that had no business in the playoffs.

Half the regular season games are on the road. Payton and company figure that if they can run the table at home, win say 3-4 road games they will be 11 or 12 wins and hopefully they won't have to face a playoff opponent on the road. Crappy thinking.

• KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    edited September 2014 Posts: 2,629
    For you NFL fans, here's a pretty good website. Pro Football Mock.com. During the season, they do a "Facebook" conversation with the quarterbacks and other players.

profootballmock.com/category/nfl-qbs-on-facebook/

To give you an example synopsis of characters:

Peyton Manning - Self-proclaimed king of the Facebook page
    Tom Brady - Screws the other QB's wives
    Tony Romo - Everyone hates him
    Ben Roethlisberger - Explains everyone's jokes
    Cam Newton - Answers all questions in Jeopardy style.
    Aaron Rodgers - Perceived homophobic
    Sam Bradford - A really, really sick puppy.

If you have time, read through the last couple of seasons. They're pretty good for a laugh.

Warning: Occasional foul language and reference to naughty body parts are involved.
    bondbat007 wrote: »
    I can speak for everyone here in Chicago that last nights game was a huge (pleaant) surprise. Love seeing this city when football is in full swing

Bears fans congrats on your big win on SNF...but I must say and I'm not being a bitter Niners fan, but your QB Cutler, I thought He was just misunderstood but no, he has the type of face one just wants to put their fist through. He is talented and has skills but his demeanor and general attitude really rubs most people the wrong way.

Maybe a lot of folks feel that way about our coach also...
    bondbat007 wrote: »

Bears fans congrats on your big win on SNF...but I must say and I'm not being a bitter Niners fan, but your QB Cutler, I thought He was just misunderstood but no, he has the type of face one just wants to put their fist through. He is talented and has skills but his demeanor and general attitude really rubs most people the wrong way.

Maybe a lot of folks feel that way about our coach also...

I don't know how you feel about your coach, but he definitely "rubs" me the wrong way.

@FoxRox, like most Niner fans we love Harbaugh. After years of famine he managed to return our beloved team to relevance. However, I can see where he would grate on folks' nerves.
    If there's an active coach, I despise it would be
    Pete Carroll
    He has the morals of a flatanance rhino and is evil incarnate.
    @OHMSS69 well I'm not really a Pete Carroll fan and I don't know much about him, but there was some cheating scandal in his past wasn't there?
    Kerim wrote: »
    For you NFL fans, here's a pretty good website. Pro Football Mock.com. During the season, they do a "Facebook" conversation with the quarterbacks and other players.

profootballmock.com/category/nfl-qbs-on-facebook/

To give you an example synopsis of characters:

Peyton Manning - Self-proclaimed king of the Facebook page
    Tom Brady - Screws the other QB's wives
    Tony Romo - Everyone hates him
    Ben Roethlisberger - Explains everyone's jokes
    Cam Newton - Answers all questions in Jeopardy style.
    Aaron Rodgers - Perceived homophobic
    Sam Bradford - A really, really sick puppy.

If you have time, read through the last couple of seasons. They're pretty good for a laugh.

Warning: Occasional foul language and reference to naughty body parts are involved.

:)) :)) nfl quarterbacks chatting on facebook - that is too funny. Poor Romo sure gets a rough ride from the others. What do they do, update after every weekends games? Its right up to date with last weekend results.

a taste of the banter:

BRIAN HOYER
    ALL HAIL HOYER THE DESTROYER!

BRIAN HOYER
    LEADER OF BROWNS. DEFEATER OF SAINTS. AND MIGHTY KEEPER OF MANZIELS ON BENCHES!

DREW BREES
    THIS DOESN’T MAKE SENSE. WE WERE WINNING THAT GAME!

DREW BREES
    How could we possibly blow a lead to the BROWNS of all losers?

CARSON PALMER
    Brees, did you hang out with Romo again this week?

DREW BREES
    Yes, unfortunately.

TONY ROMO
    We went to the science museum. They showed us this totally cool machine that transports your molecules across a room. Drew and I rode it together!

NICK FOLES
    Holy crap. That explains it! TONY ROMO AND DREW BREES’ MOLECULES HAVE BEEN INTERMINGLED, LIKE IN THAT FAMOUS MOVIE!

JOE FLACCO
    “The Fly?”

NICK FOLES
    I was thinking of “Brokeback Mountain” but yeah “The Fly” works too.
    @FoxRox
    Everything Pete Carroll touches turns to crap. He was our Defensive coordinator back in 1995 then he took the head job in New England. They turned to crap. He ended up with the Jets, they sucked too. He took the job at USC and after years of dominance he saw the clouds gathering re Reggi Bush, so he packed his bags and got out of dodge just as the shytt hit the fan. He got the head job in Seattle, Bush went on to NFL stardom while the school, USC had to die for their sins.
    He may have won a super Bowl but half the team is "juiced up". PED, drunks, the works. By the time he leaves, Seattle will be in ruins too.
    edited September 2014 Posts: 2,629
    If there's an active coach, I despise it would be
    Pete Carroll
    He has the morals of a flatanance rhino and is evil incarnate.

We have common ground on something. Carroll is a colossal d-bag for bailing on USC when the probation hammer was ready to drop. And I hate USC.

Personally, I find a gassy rhino to be more dignified.

@timmer. Glad you liked those. They update those every Monday after all but the MN game take place. The best ones are the Sam Bradford ones. They are so sick, vile, disgusting, perverted and just wrong that I'm not sure if I can post an example of them on here.

Here's an example of one:

SAM BRADFORD

Oh, you guys are talking about Taiwan Bob, right?

SAM BRADFORD

Manziel, next time you see him/her, can you get my card punched? Two more deep tissue anal massages, and I get one free.

@timmer. Glad you liked those. They update those every Monday after all but the MN game take place. The best ones are the Sam Bradford ones. They are so sick, vile, disgusting, perverted and just wrong that I'm not sure if I can post an example of them on here.

Here's an example of one:

SAM BRADFORD

Oh, you guys are talking about Taiwan Bob, right?

SAM BRADFORD

Manziel, next time you see him/her, can you get my card punched? Two more deep tissue anal massages, and I get one free.
    The player banter is probably best linked to only, but it sure is funny. Great idea for satire, having the quarterbacks gather on FB to both brag and take shots at each other every Monday morning. I'll be checking that out each week for sure.
    Quarterbacks, and their supermodel girlfriends, can be such prima donnas in real life, giving the whole schtick a tinge of authenicty too.

SuperBowl rematch this weekend! Major grudge for the Bronco's i'm sure!
    Seahawks really feed off the energy when they are in their own house. I expect them to win this game. Not a shellecking as Denver got in the Super Bowl but still a Seahawks win. I'll go out on a limb 24-7
    The Arizona Cardinals have provided an excellent example as to how to deal with their woman/child beaters.

sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/cardinals--jonathan-dwyer-questioned-in-domestic-violence-case--report-214923183.html
    Seahawks really feed off the energy when they are in their own house. I expect them to win this game. Not a shellecking as Denver got in the Super Bowl but still a Seahawks win. I'll go out on a limb 24-7

We are pretty awesome at home, but i think it will be a tight encounter! Genuinely not sure what the score will be?
    I found the Arizona-San Francisco game to be most uplifting, didn't you OHMSS69?
    @Kerim I know I don't mind. Was very disheartened to see Dennis Pitta go down though; he's my favorite tight end in the league :(
    As i thought! What a tight game between Seattle and Denver compared to the Superbowl! A good hard fought victory boys! Well done!
    I found the Arizona-San Francisco game to be most uplifting, didn't you OHMSS69?

I'm so angry at our Offensive Coordinator. That fat faced jackass. We were 1-2 last year also. We finished 12-4 and were the 2nd best team in the league. I much rather take the losses in Sept than in December.
    New Orleans is 1-2, Green Bay 1-2 also. Dallas at 2-1? Trust me the Cowboys are mired in mediocrity and they will finish 8-8 again.

Yep, 7-1
    A tighter affair than i thought it would be against the Raiders last night. Still? A win is a win at the end of the day!
    Sad Ravens fan here; would expect our luck to change against the Titans next week...
    edited November 2014 Posts: 2,629
    I don't mean to brag, but the Cardinals are 9-1.

OK, I do mean to brag.
  • edited November 2014 Posts: 4,622
    Nice to see Bears get off the mat today. Was real ugly versus Packers.

And how about those Montreal Alouettes! Who saw 50 points coming against the BC Lions in today's CFL playoff openers?
    Sorry, back to regularly scheduled NFL talk. :\">