The Farewell Thread (or taking a hiatus)

Comments

Farewell, j7.
    Well, James, best of luck, old boy.

Wherever you move onto, I hope you continue the tradition and supply them with high-res images of busty blondes and brunettes. B-)

God bless ya. =D>
  • Quoting Bartleby: This is is how this thread reads:

I don't think that's accurate at all.
  • I hope all those that are leaving are in the end merely taking a hiatus. I'm sure if you return in a few weeks' or months' time, you'll find MI6 to still be the best tavern in town. That said, the contributions of Python, FieldsMan, Balje, FourDot, SirHilary, Shark, Armstrong, Tux, kyvan, trevanian, Vesper, and j7wild will surely be remembered for a long time. I know I've learned a lot from some of these fine people.
    @TheWhiteTuxedo This thread is terrible. Those who want to leave should simply leave. Anyone who writes a long diatribe about how and why they are leaving is just being a drama queen. I don't care if you don't want to post here anymore. My energy (and everyone else's, for that matter) should be spent on making this a better place, not listening to the whining of martyrs.
  • edited March 2011 Posts: 92
    @Barrtleby:
    No, this thread is about people informing the community if they are leaving ... for whatever reason. At the moment the new forum is the main reason but in my case - as I posted up there I was just saying I wouldn't be around over the next few days a lot due to a rowing regatta. As I am friends with people here I like to personally have an idea their comings and goings - for whatever reason.

In time this thread will become more like the old one of mi6 in terms of why people are leaving but at the moment this is the way it is.
    Quoting Bartleby: This thread is terrible. Those who want to leave should simply leave. Anyone who writes a long diatribe about how and why they are leaving is just being a drama queen. I don't care if you don't want to post here anymore. My energy (and everyone else's, for that matter) should be spent on making this a better place, not listening to the whining of martyrs.
    Stay out of it then?
    I'm taking a hiatus for the night and going to bed.
    STOP WHINING!
  • edited March 2011 Posts: 202
    Likes this.
  • edited March 2011 Posts: 70
    Quoting Bartleby: @TheWhiteTuxedo This thread is terrible. Those who want to leave should simply leave. Anyone who writes a long diatribe about how and why they are leaving is just being a drama queen. I don't care if you don't want to post here anymore. My energy (and everyone else's, for that matter) should be spent on making this a better place, not listening to the whining of martyrs
    I've been on MI6 nearly 8 years. I think I'm allowed a paragragh to express my intent to give up being a regular after the old site was nuked without warning and replaced by a facebook forum. Thank you very much. I was a Mod from 2004 to 2009, and I spent a lot of time on that froum and I did my part in making it a better place.

What has happened to this site!?
    @TheWhiteTuxedo Okay. Continue to post about how you are not going to post anymore.
  • What is your problem?
  • retrokittyretrokitty The Couv
    edited March 2011 Posts: 380
    Who is Bartleby? If it's a new person, it's a strange way to make friends. If it's an old MI6 member it's strange to take up a new name... unless there is something to hide.

Could it be MI6book's first troll?
  • edited March 2011 Posts: 202
    Trolls are supposed to be funny, though.
  • Quoting retrokitty: Could it be MI6book's first troll?
    Could be.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    I think part of the issue here is that alot of people are put out by the changes.
    It has to be expected.
    Though to be honest, as hard as changes are I'm a little disappointed that some of the long time regulars haven't given this site a chance.
    It's been running for little more than 24 hours and people are jumping ship.
    People will go, and new members will come on board.
    Old members who've leapt off may at some point return.
    But to fight about it whether you want to stay or go is not getting anywhere.
  • JamesPageJamesPage Administrator, Moderator, Director
    ...and then there are those who have left for greener pastures but continue to pop back here with the goal of riling members up and/or stealing them away. If you leave, leave.
    Quoting JamesPage: If you leave, leave.
    So that's that? Just leave? Wow.

I'll probably lurk here and there. See how the site shapes up. But wow. Just leave?
    edited March 2011 Posts: 380
    Some are giving the site a chance but still voicing their concerns about the format and lack of navigation assistance as well as no notice that the old site was going to crash.

It's very hard to believe that they had no notice. What would have happened if it crashed before this site was up? Right... that would not have happened.

And for the mods to blow it off like it's nothing is a bit strange when you guys have spent a lot of time and personal energy there too. I'm sure some don't care that their efforts are never to be seen again... But some of the mods likely care but are towing the line. That also is a bit distressing.

So it's not just that this type is ugly, the page is only half used and that it's hard to navigate, it's the condescending attitude that what anyone who's not a mod says or thinks or feels is pretty much unimportant. (I know that's not entirely true but it's how it has felt, and it's fair to express that.)

So we waiting for years hearing about an update. We get no warning to save any threads for posterity... and then you guys complain that some are jumping ship. If a few of the mod team had never been modded I suspect they would be too. So.. Why the surprise?

James... I for one want to see what happens here. Can't someone give it a chance without drinking the koolaid?

• JamesPageJamesPage Administrator, Moderator, Director
    I hope you all give it a chance. But some are running around elsewhere saying quite the opposite of what they are here.
    I regret that this has turned ugly. I hold ill will towards you guys.

I guess I'll head out now. :(
    Whether anyone else thinks it's valid or not... we are dealing with hurt feeling that continue to be hurt.

That the mods would fall all over a trolling teenager in the last forum to protect their feelings but make it out that this isn't a huge deal is beyond comprehension. It's a huge deal. Sure we are all going to live but we've lived with that old forum as a resource for years. It should be understandable that members are pissed/disappointed/hurt/whatever.

But you know what? I see this all the time nowadays... people talk all the time through facebook, texting, emails etc... so they feel they are communicating at all time when they really aren't and, more often than not, they leave out the major bits of communication. I experience this at work with my boss all the time. We talk about the little things and then miss out the big things.

Whittle that down to a one-sentence post, Kitts, and you may get your point across.

MICROBLOGGING. FOR YOUR HEALTH.
    @retrokitty my personal feeling is that I'm sad, yes. I've been around on the forums for quite a while - and perhaps never as intensively as the likes of Tux - I do feel aggrieved, but I can't help but feel that as a community we're best placed to try and make good of what we have in the new boards, and at day two it's a bit too early to judge. That's my opinion, it's not towing a line. I don't think it's been the easiest 48 hours for the community and it will continue to be hard to rebuild something that still remains a significant part of our members day-to-day lives.

I really hope you and others who are at the end of the day some of the members whose posts I've enjoyed reading the most over the last few years do stay and continue to contribute - I for one will miss a lot of the folk who have said they're not willing to give the changes a go.
    @Dusty59

It's not the changes. It's the fact that we were not given ANY warning...not even a slight mention that it was possible that we could lose the old data. If they didn't know, fine. But then the lack of communication to members about the issue and the complete disregard for the feelings of the members has been what's upset most of the people who are leaving.

This format is ugly but I'm still here and so are others that will give it a go. But please understand that what's happened isn't a change in format, it's a PR disaster. How on earth can anyone expect people to want to rebuild if the library of information and the people putting in the effort to build it are worthless to the hosts?
    I'm out. When there are prats like Bartleby being more than disrespectful to forum legends (that's KTBEU by the way, not this Facebook crap), I don't fancy sticking around. I know I haven't given this place a chance, but I've lost my temper. I'm sorry how this had to end.

• Quoting MrBrown: Likes this.
    There you are Mr Brown, good to see you. :-D

Farewell to j7wild and others who decided to leave. All very sad.

• edited March 2011 Posts: 886
    Quoting Gsection: I'm out. When there are prats like Bartleby being more than disrespectful to forum legends (that's KTBEU by the way, not this Facebook crap), I don't fancy sticking around. I know I haven't given this place a chance, but I've lost my temper. I'm sorry how this had to end.
    Not you too. Reconsider, please do.

I've double posted as I can't find the erase button for this post to add to my previous one. Sorry.
    This is such a shame. We weren't mad about the databases or the post. We could live with that.

But for some reason, perhaps the embarrassment over losing domain names has led to old members being ignored and treated so rudely. It is a shame. I really don't see why the tone has become so hostile.