The Farewell Thread (or taking a hiatus)

Comments

• DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    The possibility to save a handful of posts and threads couldn't even be available for more than half a day. I was in the middle of searching for some posts when the archive disappeared.
    That sux.
    I'm not a fan of the new layout but I'll give it a chance. The old one was much easier to use. It was easier to navigate and it looked cleaner.
  • I seem to have picked a bad day to return. Sometimes it's nice to just have a break from the place and great to some familiar figures still here, despite all the changes. I'm sure it'll just take a while to adapt to. Anyway nice to be back.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Quoting JackWade: I'm not a fan of the new layout but I'll give it a chance. The old one was much
    easier to use. It was easier to navigate and it looked cleaner.

I think as MI6 grows again and with that more sections, navigation will be easier - at least I hope so.

It takes a while to get used to but at least you're not jumping overboard JW! We'd hate to lose you.
  • WillardWhyteWillardWhyte Midnight Society #ProjectMoon
    I am sorry to hear about some of the veteran members like Python deciding to leave. To be honest though, I may be right behind you. This is not the change I was expecting, I figured they would just upgrade some of the features (like search function) on the old forum and leave the basic design ( which was so much easier to navigate).
  • LudsLuds MIA
    @WillardWhyte I know it's a lot to cope with at first, but after a while it really grows on you. Lots of nice features. I like the @ links, post flagging should be handy, custom avatars, etc. It take a bit to sink in for sure. Hope to see you around WW!
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    edited March 2011 Posts: 23,525
    @WillardWhyte Do stay around, friend. This place is like getting Office 2007 installed after having been familiar with the old software for years. You'll get used to it. What's changed? Same bar, same people, same drinks, same talk. Only difference is, the bartender decided to hang up a few other paintings on the wall, replace the old jukebox for a modern music player and refurnish the bathroom.
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    Quoting WillardWhyte:
    I am sorry to hear about some of the veteran members like
    Python deciding to leave. To be honest though, I may be right behind you. This
    is not the change I was expecting, I figured they would just upgrade some of the
    features (like search function) on the old forum and leave the basic design (
    which was so much easier to navigate).

Hmm, I know, but hopefully they will be back. Shame about FieldsMan..
  • edited March 2011 Posts: 3
    I only joined the old forum about a month ago and it was much, much better than this forum which is really rather crap. I'll stick around and see what happens but I'll be spending most of my time back on the IMDb James Bond board.
  • edited March 2011 Posts: 886
    Quoting Shark: We've all been evicted from an old house, which only needed some paintwork and new doors, and sent to live in an abandoned orphanage.
    Well put Shark.
    Personally I'll only be popping in on a less regular basis to check on the CapCon threads, which IMHO, I doubt they will be as popular as they were.
    I'll miss the members who are leaving especially you Shark and Fieldsman.
    Thanks for the memories.

I can't think of being more bewildered unless all the takeaways closed near me. That would be on par with losing the old MI6.
    And where are some of the old guard? Will they register under the same names?? I mean where's Mr.Brown for example?

I'm thoroughly lost.

:-<
  • edited March 2011 Posts: 4
    Thanks for the shout-out, Python. I'm leaving, too, which I've already stated elsewhere but as this seems to be the thread for such statements I thought I would let my decision be known here as well.

It was annoying to not be able to choose your own avatar. But that was made up for by the sheer number of them available. And I could live without a search or ignore function. So in exchange for these new features, every old discussion has been wiped out? Not worth it. I frequented MI6Forums long before I joined it. The reason I loved the place was because it had the best aesthetics of any Bond forum, as well as the best community. And a backlog of interesting discussions. Now MI6 has only one of those things (we'll see if that lasts) - and, no offense meant, it's not worth the hassle of such a horrible interface.

This move might have been a good business decision, but it showed complete disregard for the core of friends that was the old board's lifeblood. What was a forum for discussion has been replaced by a glorified comments section for the main site's news feed. Happy webmastering, James Page, and I hope you get all the hits you deserve.
    Quoting barryt007: I think you all need to sit back and relax for a minute here,it's all new and will take getting used to,but you can still copy and paste your threads and bring them over to here.
    So much for new beginnings eh?
    Quoting FourDot: Goodbye, MI6.
    Where else can I find you on the internet, FourDot?
  • MrBondMrBond Station S
    Hmm, the legends has left.... Not good, all of you guys that has done a massive work with the old forum now just gonna leave it? I sincerly hope that some of you gonna return sometime in the future!
    It's sad to see so many go. Hopefully in time, they'll return. I wonder what James Page makes of all this?...
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited March 2011 Posts: 15,690
    I'm sorry, but you don't just delete 1,000,000+ posts, without telling anyone, and only giving us a few hours to save a handful of posts. The way this change was made is a disgrace. I'm not complaining on the new site's layout. But deleting 9 years of posts is just, simply said, ignoring and insulting the entire MI6 community that existed. Change is good, perhaps, but deleting a decade's worth of discussion, games, whatnot is just wrong, and I feel insulted and cheated.
    I won't make any permanent statement of good-bye, but this transition doesn't please me, and I'm not certain I'll stick around.
    edited March 2011 Posts: 13,350
    Quoting harmsway: I won't make any permanent statement of good-bye, but this transition doesn't
    please me, and I'm not certain I'll stick around.

*** *** ********* ***** ********* ***** *** * **** ******* ******** **** **** *****

Fill that in however you want and for the love of all things MI6 I hope you stay, harms. Give it time and see what you think.
    Quoting harmsway: I won't make any permanent statement of good-bye, but this transition doesn't please me, and I'm not certain I'll stick around.
    That's where I stand at the moment. I'm really not happy with how this was handled. When first hearing about this change through e-mail, I was excited, but not able to go online at that point. I've had a busy last few days.

First look at it...I don't like it. It isn't easy on the eyes. That said, I would likely get used to it eventually. However, the fact that all our old posts are gone, not even kept for posterity, is really upsetting. We all spent a lot of time and effort there, posting some really well thought out things that are now gone forever. That doesn't seem necessary. I had no chance whatsoever to save anything.

The fact that this change is so drastic and no one was polled or allowed to give any input or warning about what we would like is insulting. Discussion Boards are primarily user generated content, so why wouldn't the users get some sort of say in what happened? Not a smart move at all. I'm extremely disappointed, and while I'm going to give it a few days to sink in, I can't see myself accepting this, especially with so many others leaving.
  • edited March 2011 Posts: 70
    You can probably count me out as a regular member. Sorry, guys and dolls. This seems to have been a colossal screw up. I believe that the admins here are sincere and I hold no ill-will towards them. I've been to dinner with James Page and his wife and they're great folks. But I hate this new format, and the loss of everything... I don't know where to begin.

The old site links to CommanderBond. That boggles my mind. I have never had anything against CB.n, aside from their awful design, but that surprised the hell out of me.

It all comes down to the fact that I hate this new format. It's crap and looks cheap. If MI6 were to adopt a more modern version of what we had, which is what I thought the plan was, I could see MI6 continuing. Maybe even in the face of the whole database being nuked.

Well, I'll drop in to say hello to the old peeps, but this new forum just sucks.

Screw it, I'll say more. I flat out don't like the complete and utter lack of any warning. I got a private message to save any messages I wanted to keep. And I thought it meant private messages. I wasn't told why I should do it. I wasn't told the entire database was going to be flushed down the toilet.

We're not kids, ya know. I don't like the lack of info and brush off. That's what it feels like we get here. A brush off. I'm aware there is a lot going on behind the scenes, and that this is probably not how the admins wanted things to go down. But we're a community here. We built MI6 up over a course of years and it was great and fun and idiosyncratic. And all of it was just nuked out of existence. And I get the feeling that some don't think it's a big deal. Oh, it's nothing. Just smile and accept the new site.
  • retrokittyretrokitty The Couv
    Tux, stay in touch in other ways... I'm sticking it out for a bit because I have hope and feel that I have to give it a chance... and I simply can't believe that the old archives won't be back up.... So, if/when they are up again this will be the first place that knows about it. Optimistic, I know. [-O<

Funny that you got a message saying to save stuff. I did not. :-S
  • j7wildj7wild Suspended
    I don't know who owns or owned MI6 forum but just the fact that the old Forum now links to Commander Bond, I have to presume there were some other issues we don't know about. Maybe the owner needed $$$ and he sold out to Commander Bond or Commander Bond offered to buy him out as a way to get rid of its main competition!
    Quoting retrokitty: Funny that you got a message saying to save stuff. I did not.

There's a thread, somewhere on this forum, kitty, that mentioned you could access the old threads for an unknown amount of time, so you had to get what you could while you had the chance. They were only up for an hour I believe, then gone - forever.

I was too late as I came online after they went down, so I'm in the same boat as you along with many other members!
  • WillardWhyteWillardWhyte Midnight Society #ProjectMoon
    I thought about it and I think I will stick around, my postings may be limited until I can figure this new board out. Besides James Bond has been a huge part of my life and I am not about to throw that out the window.
  • Quoting lalala2004:
    Quoting harmsway: I won't make any permanent statement of good-bye, but this transition doesn't please me, and I'm not certain I'll stick around.

That's where I stand at the moment. I'm really not happy with how this was handled. When first hearing about this change through e-mail, I was excited, but not able to go online at that point. I've had a busy last few days.

First look at it...I don't like it. It isn't easy on the eyes. That said, I would likely get used to it eventually. However, the fact that all our old posts are gone, not even kept for posterity, is really upsetting. We all spent a lot of time and effort there, posting some really well thought out things that are now gone forever. That doesn't seem necessary. I had no chance whatsoever to save anything.

The fact that this change is so drastic and no one was polled or allowed to give any input or warning about what we would like is insulting. Discussion Boards are primarily user generated content, so why wouldn't the users get some sort of say in what happened? Not a smart move at all. I'm extremely disappointed, and while I'm going to give it a few days to sink in, I can't see myself accepting this, especially with so many others leaving.
    this is where i am, mostly, as well... i don't want to say goodbye, but as someone else said, it's like we were all just evicted from our homes... i'll go a step further and say it's more like our homes were burnt down... thankfully, most of us got out alive, and a few of us were aloud to run back in and save what was important to us from the archives, but for most of us, we lost everything we had built, and that's difficult to take...

i wouldn't go so far as to say we had a right to have a say about what happened, but like so many others said, at least a warning would have been something!

when i talked about leaving before, i couldn't really leave because KTBEU was like home, and all my stuff was there, but now...now my stuff is all gone, so maybe leaving won't be so hard... like i said, i'm not ready to say goodbye for good, i don't think, but with less to tie me down, i guess maybe it'll be easier to phase MI6 out of my life...

y'all feel free to PM me if you wanna keep in touch, as i've set it to email me when i get a PM... otherwise, i may be here for a few visits, but i just don't know that this is gonna stick for me... guess time will tell, but i'm skeptical...

thanks for the memories!
    Quoting TheWhiteTuxedo: You can probably count me out as a regular member. Sorry, guys and dolls.
    Now cracks a noble heart. Good-night, sweet prince;
    And flights of angels sing thee to thy rest.
    Quoting DarthDimi: This place is like getting Office 2007 installed after having been familiar with the old software for years.
    the best thing i heard.it is true,cause i know how i felt when i first saw Office 2007 after having office 2003 ;)
  • edited March 2011 Posts: 11
    i still run Office 2003, and have no intentions to change...

i ran on Windows 2000 until just last year, and now have XP, but see no reason to upgrade to anything newer... didn't even really want to go to XP, because 2000 was fine with me, but i was kinda forced into it...

maybe that tells you something about me... ;)

• TubesTubes The Hebrew Hammer
    I seem to be taking this a bit better than some of you are. Maybe being ingrained into *chan culture, where everything is deleted within a day and discussion is fast and brief, taught me to remember with my head instead of my hard drive.

I'm not saying goodbye. I'm not saying I'm staying. I've just lost several of my mates on the Film board and their contributions cannot be replaced in such a short time. I'll try and make this work for the sake of keeping this community alive.
  • St_GeorgeSt_George Shuttling Drax's lovelies to the space doughnut - happy 40th, MR!
    edited March 2011 Posts: 1,699
    Quoting Tubes: I seem to be taking this a bit better than some of you are. Maybe being ingrained into *chan culture, where everything is deleted within a day and discussion is fast and brief, taught me to remember with my head instead of my hard drive.
    I'm with you on that one, Tubester. Having an editorial/ writing background, I'm used to the ephemeral culture of something you write being published and then you have to move on ('today's papers are tomorrow's fish and chips wrappers'). And, yes, that's how writing professionally works. It's brutal and real in that regard.

Just the same, to the heart this feels harsh, indeed. But using the head, I appreciate the difficulties and realities the admins faced in keeping the website, magazine and forums going. Will I miss being able to look back on my old posts (all those tournaments X_X )? Of course. But life does go on; we always have to look to the future. The world around us moves quickly and changes - and I'm afraid even that had to come to MI6 one day. But you know what? It's still here, albeit in an altered form in some ways; but it is still here.

Bond 23 is around the corner and MI6 is still here as a place to discuss that and much more. That's reason enough for me to stick around - for sure...
  • retrokittyretrokitty The Couv
    Not sure where to put this but a "last viewed" or "last post" button is desperately needed sooner than later.