The World War II Discussion Thread.

Comments

I like WWII because we won. Otherwise this forum would be German. ;)
    SaintMark wrote: »
    I like WWII because we won. Otherwise this forum would be German. ;)

Hahaha i couldnt think of a better reason !
    It was 2-0 by 1945 and I am glad there will not be rematch anytime soon.

Hear hear !!
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    edited October 2017 Posts: 9,117

The score is currently 3-0 - don't forget 1966 and all that.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com

And not forgetting Brexit where we stitched up the Krauts yet again!
    Dragonpol wrote: »

And not forgetting Brexit where we stitched up the Krauts yet again!

I am not sure you will be considering BREXIT a win ever. The Germans recreated themselves as an economic force after WWII and they had no Empire to worry about at all.
    The EU started of as A European dream not involving the UK and it will continue after the UK has left and has to rebuilt it entire infrastructure and factories.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Besides, Hitler was against centralization.

Wrong he wanted to decide everything and anything pretty central I would say. He was a dictator and those governments tend to be very centralist driven.
    edited October 2017 Posts: 17,803

Not heard of the Führerprinzip then? That sounded pretty centralised.
    This just in :

Amber Room: Priceless Russian treasure stolen by Nazis 'discovered by German researchers'

German researchers believe they have found the legendary Amber Room, thought to be most valuable piece of art stolen by the Nazis during the Second World War.

The ornate panels, embellished with amber and gold leaf, were gifted to the Russian Tsar Peter the Great in 1917 and are estimated to be worth €250m (£224m).

Mystery has surrounded the whereabouts of the Amber Room for the last 70 years.

Now, three treasure hunters say a series of clues has revealed the room to be hidden in a network of tunnels under a cave in the Ore Mountains, eastern Germany.

Leonhard Blume, 73, Peter Lohr, 71 and Günter Eckhardt, 67, examined witness reports complied by the Stasi and KGB.

They then used radar to see what lay beneath the so-called "Prince's Cave" outside Hartenstein, a town close to the Czech border.

"We discovered a very big, deep and long tunnel system and we detected something that we think could be a booby trap,” Mr Blume told The Times.

Evidence of an explosion fits with witness accounts that a shipment of crates had been hidden in the tunnels and the entrance blown up to hide them, he said.

Now, the three men are seeking funding to excavate the site. “We want to go on but it’s all very complicated and we need a sponsor,” Mr Blume said.

The East German and Russian secret police each spent a decade hunting for the Amber Room.

Historians are divided on its fate. Some believe it was destroyed in an air raid on Königsberg in 1944, while others think it was destroyed by Soviet soldiers at the end of the war.
    barryt007 wrote: »
    This just in :

Amber Room: Priceless Russian treasure stolen by Nazis 'discovered by German researchers'

German researchers believe they have found the legendary Amber Room, thought to be most valuable piece of art stolen by the Nazis during the Second World War.

The ornate panels, embellished with amber and gold leaf, were gifted to the Russian Tsar Peter the Great in 1917 and are estimated to be worth €250m (£224m).

Now, three treasure hunters say a series of clues has revealed the room to be hidden in a network of tunnels under a cave in the Ore Mountains, eastern Germany.

Leonhard Blume, 73, Peter Lohr, 71 and Günter Eckhardt, 67, examined witness reports complied by the Stasi and KGB.

They then used radar to see what lay beneath the so-called "Prince's Cave" outside Hartenstein, a town close to the Czech border.

"We discovered a very big, deep and long tunnel system and we detected something that we think could be a booby trap,” Mr Blume told The Times.

Evidence of an explosion fits with witness accounts that a shipment of crates had been hidden in the tunnels and the entrance blown up to hide them, he said.

Now, the three men are seeking funding to excavate the site. “We want to go on but it’s all very complicated and we need a sponsor,” Mr Blume said.

The East German and Russian secret police each spent a decade hunting for the Amber Room.

Historians are divided on its fate. Some believe it was destroyed in an air raid on Königsberg in 1944, while others think it was destroyed by Soviet soldiers at the end of the war.

What a fascinating article Barry007. After watching the "Monuments Men" only a few weeks ago? I sincerely hope they get the funding to find out?
    RogueAgent wrote: »
    This just in :

What a fascinating article Barry007. After watching the "Monuments Men" only a few weeks ago? I sincerely hope they get the funding to find out?

So do I..this is as good as if they found the 'Secret Nazi Train' which is still out there somewhere,or being able to totally search the bottom of Lake Toplitz !!

This just in :

So do I..this is as good as if they found the 'Secret Nazi Train' which is still out there somewhere,or being able to totally search the bottom of Lake Toplitz !!

Indeed, especially seeing as all the art across Europe that was stolen....etc in the dying days of the second world war. It really is worth a chance in rediscovering these priceless lost historical works for the world to appreciate again, we owe our history that much atleast!
    This just in :

Indeed, especially seeing as all the art across Europe that was stolen....etc in the dying days of the second world war. It really is worth a chance in rediscovering these priceless lost historical works for the world to appreciate again, we owe our history that much atleast!

I will keep an eye on it,as I study Hitler and the Nazi's (although not as much as I used to).

That would be a massive deal in Russia. Whoever gets hold of it should expect a knock on the door from Vlad asking for it back and my advice would be to accept his offer.
    This just in :

I will keep an eye on it,as I study Hitler and the Nazi's (although not as much as I used to).

Yeah please do, will be interested indeed to see how the expedition down there played out?
    That would be a massive deal in Russia. Whoever gets hold of it should expect a knock on the door from Vlad asking for it back and my advice would be to accept his offer.

To be honest? You would think that the Kremlin would already be in touch about this?
    This just in :

Yeah please do, will be interested indeed to see how the expedition down there played out?

To be honest? You would think that the Kremlin would already be in touch about this?

Vlad will not stand for such a piece of Russian history to be owned by a private collector (unless it's one of his oligarch mates) or go on display in a museum outside of Russia. Period.
    This just in :

Vlad will not stand for such a piece of Russian history to be owned by a private collector (unless it's one of his oligarch mates) or go on display in a museum outside of Russia. Period.

Unfortunately I agree.
    Which means they wont be able to get a sponsor (unless it's the Russians) ,which means the whole thing probably wont go ahead.

• CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    hahaha this thread is turning into a Indiana Jones story. There've been so many of these stories (remember the Spitfires?) and none of them came true. It would be great but the chances are far bigger the Amber Room was blasted to oblivion in a bombardment.

• edited October 2017 Posts: 4,600
    There was a very very good interview with Robert Harris on the radio yesterday. He was saying that the role of WW2 within Brexit is very big. He said we are the only country in Europe then tends to remember WW2 as a positive and the rest of Europe wants to forget it. He said he went to see Dunkirk at the cinema and there was a trailor for the new Churchill film (Gary Oldman) and he thought of how much we still want to look back at the "glory" days.
    I tend to agree with him. If WW2 was "our finest hour" then , by defintion, it's behind us and we are declining. It would be better to think our finest hour is ahead of us. I dont think looking forward is a skill we really have developed and we, as a nation, prefer to look back. In many ways, we are still paying the price for our WW2 efforts and other countries have moved on. Plus we still have politicaions likle Boris who try to recreate the Churchillian spirit in a time when we are not at war.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    Adolf was pretty much far ahead of his time, posting on the internet already! And in English too!
    Adolf was pretty much far ahead of his time, posting on the internet already! And in English too!

Better than his paintings at least ;)

He was pretty good at it. He was a multitalent.
  • edited October 2017 Posts: 19,339
    He was something alright.

But to be fair,he was a very good tactician and Chancellor,IF he had stopped after Czechoslovakia,he would have brought Germany right up to speed.

But power-crazed people don't know when to stop.

A pity for the world that he didn't stick to painting.
    Gerard wrote: »

Well, that's the TV/movie version, and though it's partly true, it fails to show how Germany under Hitler managed to go from completely corrupt, inefficient, economic chaos to mildly corrupt, rather efficient and economic booming.

SUre, he did so by cheating/ or just denying the political 'obligation' that was put in the Versailles treaty, but the building of the Autobahn network did boost the economy (and made fast troop movements possible). I know little about their train schedules but I bet the trains were doing better in 1935 then they were in 1929.

Oh and civil servants (speaking) are not there to annoy people, they're just very afraid to make decisions. For if they make a positive decion, their boss gets the credits, if it turns negative they are to blame.
    comics-WUMO-war-alternative-medicine-361050.jpeg