Is it just me or has Hollywood shied away from Chinese villains?

edited June 2014 in General Movies & TV Posts: 2,341
The post about Bond versus Al Queda got me to thinking. I looked back at the recent films and franchises and it seems that everyone is shying away from portraying the Chinese as the bad asses.

Hear me out here, The Die Hard films use Germans, Americans; Jack Bauer gets off on fucking up Middle Eastern types; Bond fought rogue North Koreans in DAD. Though its actually a Canadian broadcast and I've yet to watch this week's Orphan Black episode but they seem to have veered away from those Chinese villains in Season 1; Cold War adventures had no problem dealing with evil Russkies; for years prior to WW1 British literature portrayed French and then Germans as bad guys. In USA we like to beat up on evil Nazis/Germans and now and then Russians (Indiana Jones); . The Taken films deal with bad Albanians.

I can't help but ask, what makes the Chinese so "hands off"?

Our leaders see the Chinese as a legitimate threat however our movies and TV won't touch them. I would think that Hollywood would be all over the Chinese but no... Not them. I just want to know Why not?

Comments

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Probably because they wants to stay on China's good side. ;-)

Weren't the invading armies in the 'Red Dawn' remake Chinese, then they changed them to North Korean before the film was released?
    Although he wasn't the main villain, the character of Lau in The Dark Knight is somewhat villainous. Of Course, the previous film, Batman Begins had Ra's al Ghul as the main villain, who was of Chinese or Asian origin in the comics, but they decided to give the role to Liam Neeson.

The 2006 Scorsese film The Departed was based on a Hong Kong film called Infernal Affairs. It's a really great foreign film for those who haven't checked it out. Plenty of villainy in that film.

O-Ren Ishii from Kill Bill Vol. 1 is half Japanese half Chinese, however, since she is the leader of a Japanese gang, the subject of her Chinese heritage is one that she tries to suppress and she even kills someone for bringing it up.

I get what your saying about American films not portraying Chinese as villains. It might be because the Asian market is one that they want to draw rather than repel. A villain in an action movie can easily fall prey towards portraying sterotypes. The purpose of this is because naturally the filmmakers want the audience to root for the hero and despise the villains. We see this with Middle Eastern villain all the time. It mIght also have to do with all the money USA owes China. It could also have to do with perceived stereotypes from the audience perspective as well. Many Americans don't readily associate Chinese individuals as physically threatening. Maybe filmakers don't think Chinese villains to be credible in the traditional sense (as most films tend to lead to a physical confrontation between the hero and villain). Could be a combination of all those things. Who knows. I suppose one day they might come up with a Chinese villain that can be sort of an anti-hero that audiences could love to hate. Just because the villain is the antagonist of the story doesn't mean that they should have to fall into the formulaic trappings of portraying stereotypes. I'm sure there will be a filmmaker who will realize this eventually.

It's an interesting subject though. Thanks for bring it up.

• chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    OHMSS69 wrote:

Money.
    Chinese villains were also a cliché back in the early 20th century. And way until the 40s-50s at least. Look at these pulp magazines covers: http://www.philsp.com/mags/detective_tales.html

But now it is the Brits that are the clichés villains, to the point when they play practically every villain of every ethnicity! Even Khan Noonien Singh was played by Benedict Cumberbatch in the last Star Trek movie. With a name like that (not to mention his background), I thought they'd be a bit more daring and cast someone a bit less white looking.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    chrisisall wrote:
    OHMSS69 wrote:

Money.

Absolutely, they even admit it with a straight face.
    If I was a Chinese actor, I'd be offended. I'd rather play a villain than a good guy, for one. Why would only the Brits have all the fun?
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Political correctness as to not hurt anyone's feelings. 8-|
    Murdock wrote:

No, that is the muslims.
    Murdock wrote:

No, that is the muslims.

I disagree. It's rapidly becoming everyone who isn't white. In this age of social justice warriors, everything has to be clean and safe.
    You do have a valid point. As for the Chinese, it is mostly about not depicting China in a bad light as the film makers do not want to risk their films being withdrawn from the lucrative Chinese market. It is not so much about PC as about profits.
    You do have a valid point. As for the Chinese, it is mostly about not depicting China in a bad light as the film makers do not want to risk their films being withdrawn from the lucrative Chinese market. It is not so much about PC as about profits.

True. Movies today need to stop being about the money and being about the art. that's my opinion.
  • Murdock wrote:
    [
    True. Movies today need to stop being about the money and being about the art. that's my opinion.
    There are lots of movies that are not Hollywood blockbusters, remember :)
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited June 2014 Posts: 17,816
    So no film version of Colonel Sun on the stocks for Eon Productions then? ;)

I suppose, though not Chinese, we did have North Korean villains in the otherwise lamentable Die Another Day (2002).
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited June 2014 Posts: 17,816
    Ludovico wrote:
    Chinese villains were also a cliché back in the early 20th century. And way until the 40s-50s at least. Look at these pulp magazines covers: http://www.philsp.com/mags/detective_tales.html

But now it is the Brits that are the clichés villains, to the point when they play practically every villain of every ethnicity! Even Khan Noonien Singh was played by Benedict Cumberbatch in the last Star Trek movie. With a name like that (not to mention his background), I thought they'd be a bit more daring and cast someone a bit less white looking.

Yes, I don't really think we'll see a repeat of the Yellow Peril era somehow as it was viewed (rightly, of course) as inherently racist and deeply suspect. I think we've moved on from tarring a whole peoples with a particular brush. All nations contain villainous peoples, including your own.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Political correctness has made villains very monochromatic; ironically, isn't that a form of discrimination?
    I do feel discriminated against. But I can take it, unlike some other cry-babies.
    chrisisall wrote:
    OHMSS69 wrote:

Money.

You hit the answer firmly on the head there! It's all about the box office take!
    Dragonpol wrote:
    Ludovico wrote:

Yes, I don't really think we'll see a repeat of the Yellow Peril era somehow as it was viewed (rightly, of course) as inherently racist and deeply suspect. I think we've moved on from tarring a whole people with a particular brush. All nations contain villainous peoples, including your own.

Yes, Chinese villains are a bit passé, because at some point they were overused. Now the issue is that too many Brits play villain, whatever the nationality of the characters. My main issue with Cumberbatch is that he looked nothing like Khan did.
    chrisisall wrote:
    OHMSS69 wrote:

Money.

Many of you bring up good points but I think chrisisall has hit it on the nose. Money. Hollywood execs want to make sure their films get shown in China. The Chinese are probably more sensitive and worry about the image that may be portrayed on the big screen. They must think that their 1.8 billion souls will be influenced and see that they are not such good guys after all. (Don't need movies to show them in a bad light just look at their history, Tiannamen Square for example)

Now that we've talked about the lack of Chinese bad guys I want to throw another one out there:

ISRAELIS
    We never see any Israelis villains either.
    OHMSS69 wrote:
    ISRAELIS
    Not in film so much, but more common in television shows.

OHMSS69 wrote:
    The post about Bond versus Al Queda got me to thinking. I looked back at the recent films and franchises and it seems that everyone is shying away from portraying the Chinese as the bad asses.

Hear me out here, The Die Hard films use Germans, Americans; Jack Bauer gets off on fucking up Middle Eastern types; Bond fought rogue North Koreans in DAD. Though its actually a Canadian broadcast and I've yet to watch this week's Orphan Black episode but they seem to have veered away from those Chinese villains in Season 1; Cold War adventures had no problem dealing with evil Russkies; for years prior to WW1 British literature portrayed French and then Germans as bad guys. In USA we like to beat up on evil Nazis/Germans and now and then Russians (Indiana Jones); . The Taken films deal with bad Albanians.

Our leaders see the Chinese as a legitimate threat however our movies and TV won't touch them. I would think that Hollywood would be all over the Chinese but no... Not them. I just want to know Why not?
    If I´m not mistaken, even Eon made some clear and open statements about that years ago: They would like to participate in the Chinese market, an unbelievably rich field if harvested properly. The Chinese on the other hand react allergic to anyone of their kin shown as a bad guy.
    When the Russians were the big film baddies, no one thought of marketing western films to the Russians. That´s a big difference to China today. And all those other countries are not interesting enough as a potential market, or they don´t react as sensitive as the Chinese.

Murdock wrote:
    OHMSS69 wrote:
    ISRAELIS
    Not in film so much, but more common in television shows.

The second season of The Wire has an Israeli henchman in the Greek syndicate.
    If they don't want to offend anyone then they have no problem showing African-Americans as thugs, and in prison movies and shows, they had no problem showing Germans, Russians, Brits, Middle Easterners as villains.

But stay away from the Israelis and Chinese.

I just think its bullshit.
    China owns Hollywood that is way.
    LeChiffre wrote:
    China owns Hollywood that is way.

Is that true, Mel Gibson? If you read this...
    OHMSS69 wrote:
    If they don't want to offend anyone then they have no problem showing African-Americans as thugs, and in prison movies and shows, they had no problem showing Germans, Russians, Brits, Middle Easterners as villains.

But stay away from the Israelis and Chinese.

I just think its bullshit.

Watch The Wire. You have Black villains, Greek villains, one Israeli villain and one of the most negative character is a Jewish lawyer.