"Play it again, Sam..." - The John Barry Appreciation Thread

Comments

I also recommend:

The Beyondness Of Things
    Eternal Echoes
    Across The Sea Of Time
  • ggl007ggl007 www.archivo007.com Spain, España
    I don't know if this has been posted, but we all have to listen this from time to time... ;)

Furthermore, I want to add this great web page for fans of the film... http://www.somewhereintime.tv/
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    John Barry is to the Bond franchise what Bernard Herrmann was to the Hitchcock movies.

Not sure I can find a higher compliment for Barry.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I agree. A lot of Barry's music evokes Herrmann to me. Well I found "Ready when you are JB." And it's fantastic.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    edited November 2016 Posts: 10,588
    I'll just leave this here...
    Listening to the score for Zulu. This might very well be my favorite Non Bond Barry score.
    My Barry collection is getting bigger everyday.
    lb3JUu1h.png?1
    Great @Murdock, next up you should try Born Free, The Knack and How to Get It, and Last Valley. :)
    @IGUANNA, I have all of those now. :)
    Yay!
    @Murdock - what is Murphy's War like?
    @vzok, It's a pretty simple and quirky Barry score. Not much to it only being 10 tracks long but it's not bad. Certainly not his best work though. I like the main title track though.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    I just came across this wonderful rendition by John Barry (from 1977) of his legendary OHMSS theme. It's from an lp entitled The Best of John Barry and has a bit more of a 70's sound.

It also has a little more horns and Moog Synthesizer (which I love the sound of):

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Nice find,
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    Nice to see a John Barry tribute in my Uni's library-

2aihdkx.jpg
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    edited March 2017 Posts: 6,718
    Big fan here. I don't know if this'll make sense to anyone else, but I've actually slowed down in seeking new Barry material to listen to. I kind of don't want to run out if it! I've listened to a lot of his scores, but there are still plenty I haven't listened to.

Since others are posting some of his compositions here, I'll do the same. Who Will Buy My Yesterdays, the version from Ready When You Are, J.B. I love the B-section at 1:16, and great touch with that tense chord at the end.

• BondAficionadoBondAficionado Former IMDBer
    John Barry's house will have a memorial plaque on it:

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-york-north-yorkshire-40341210

"Classic John Barry [Bond] scores include
    -FRWL
    -GF
    -YOLT
    -DAF
    "

That'll get people's blood boiling :)
    Good...thoroughly deserved.
  • Andi1996RueggAndi1996Ruegg Hello. It's me, Evelyn Tremble.
    One of the things I immediately recognized as to be a big pivotal part of the James Bond movies are the scores.

After I have seen DAF, which was the first Bond movie I have watched, I told to my buddies how incredibly fond I am of the movie's soundtrack, they all agreed.

All the films have wonderful soundtracks but it is the ones of John Barry that I have fallen in love with and I intend to buy them all.

I think DAF, MR and OHMSS I love especially. The OHMSS main theme that is played in various sequences during the film is breathtakingly good.
  • DwayneDwayne New York City
    Hi Guys (I’m a long-time lurker (but first-time poster),

FYI. For those of you in the US, on Friday, January 18th (8:00 pm EST), TCM (Turner Classic Movies) will be having a “Music by John Barry” themed evening. The following movies will be screened:

SEANCE ON A WET AFTERNOON (1964) @ 8:00 PM (EST)
    KING RAT (1965) @ 10:00 PM (EST)
    ROBIN AND MARIAN (1976) W/SEAN CONNERY @12:30AM (1/19 EST)

PS (TCM doesn't have the broadcast rights to any of the Bond movies, but I hope this is useful.)
  • zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade
    Great to see this thread deservedly pop up at the front again!

I want to draw your attention to this forgotten gem from John Barry, Highway 101 from the movie Petulia. It falls in the time between YOLT and OHMSS. The track became widely known when it was used prominently in the 1980s as the trailer music for the "ARD Film Festival" series on German TV.

Spy- & Crime-Barry at its best!

• peterpeter Toronto
    The guy was a bloody genius.
  • edited January 2019 Posts: 4,599
    @bondjames thanks for the OHMSS link, something a little different but still worthy of the original. Will Bond music ever be better than this? I don't think so. Imagine this live at the Albert Hall!
    edited January 2019 Posts: 23,883
    My pleasure @patb. It's a wonderful blend of his signature 60's punchy and brassy sound with a bit of his 70's experimental flavour. Love it.

RE: Bond music ever recapturing that brilliance again: Sadly the evidence suggests not, perhaps unsurprisingly. He was one of kind - my favourite composer along with Jerry Goldsmith and John Williams. I hope they step up and do better than they have been since Barry left though. There are composers who can create something new and memorable. Hopefully they tap them, either for the next film or for the reset after that.
    This is rather good and a well put together video of Barry's top tunes. Of course, there's plenty of excellent scores missing from this Top 15, but it's pretty good overall.

@bondjames The trouble is, I can't imagine any composer producing such quality which is sad in a way. In many areas, Bond has moved on, evolved and improved but Barry set the bar so very, very high so the music will never be as good as this.
    edited January 2019 Posts: 23,883
    bondsum wrote: »
    This is rather good and a well put together video of Barry's top tunes. Of course, there's plenty of excellent scores missing from this Top 15, but it's pretty good overall.

Thanks @bondsum. Wonderful montage. I had never heard the tune for The Adventurer before. It has a bit of The Persuader's sound to it. The cimbalon is such a vibrant instrument, and it's used beautifully in The IPCRESS File. I haven't heard Hanover Street or The Lion In Winter either (the latter reminds me of the theme from The Omen due to the chanting). The Beat Girl is really great - first time hearing that one too. Love Body Heat - I could imagine that in a Bond film.
    --
    patb wrote: »
    @bondjames The trouble is, I can't imagine any composer producing such quality which is sad in a way. In many areas, Bond has moved on, evolved and improved but Barry set the bar so very, very high so the music will never be as good as this.
    You could be right @patb, but I still live in hope no matter how unrealistic that may be. I honestly don't think Bond has necessarily improved however. I'm always amazed at how far ahead of the curve they were in nearly every dimension when I go back to the older films - they may have been pulp fiction, but it was done in a way which set the bar for a generation and then some back then.
    New to this thread so sorry if mentioned but sometimes the quality of his work was way ahead of the actual film so the soundtrack is rather forgotten. Enigma a good example IMHO
    patb wrote: »
    New to this thread so sorry if mentioned but sometimes the quality of his work was way ahead of the actual film so the soundtrack is rather forgotten. Enigma a good example IMHO
    So true. I came across the Enigma soundtrack first and enjoyed it for a few months. Then I sought out the accompanying film and couldn't even get through it - I regretted my purchase actually.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I wonder if the orchestra conductor in TLD is the same as in DEADFALL?