"Play it again, Sam..." - The John Barry Appreciation Thread

14567810»

Comments

• RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Amazing insight and music @Revelator
    very appreciated.

• zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade
    Excellent find, @Revelator . I did not know such a suite existed.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    This is great, thanks. I had only heard the abridged 1972 version previously.

It is amazing how much the 1972 gunbarrel sounds like OP, and also how some chords of it anticipate the LALD score, of all things.
  • zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade

• Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Cutty Sark (1995 Remaster)

Superb.
  • edited April 9 Posts: 85
    I know that '007 and Counting' from DAF is a favourite cue of many people here. It's been sampled a surprising number of times in electronic music. I remember hearing this wonderful track on Mary-Anne Hobbs' Radio 1 show many years ago and it came on shuffle the other day:

Wagon Christ - 'Shadows'

This is another beauty with the sample, at the peak of 90's 'trip hop':

Grantby - 'Timber'

Grantby was obviously a Barry aficionado. Note the bassline to '007' that creeps in halfway through.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    Thanks for sharing, I'd heard the second one but not the first one.
    Here's another one:

Unbelievably, John Barry doesn't receive any credit on the Jakatta album for this track. The strings are newly recorded with a very minor tweak to the harmony, but I'm surprised the lawyers didn't come calling!
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    @Bond_Scores
    Wow, sir, you've certainly done a lot of digging here. I'm happy with this find. I love the music. And yes, how come this didn't result in lawsuits?