Bond gadgets that blatantly serve as a plot device, or push the plot forward.

Comments

• edited May 2014 Posts: 2,341
    That magnetic watch in LALD. Bond activates it to get the gas pellet. Was there any other magnetic items on the table? Imagine if Bond had ended up getting every metal object on that table instead of just the pellet. Imagine even a typewriter flying up and hitting him right in the face. lol
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    @OHMSS69, LOL, good point.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    It's not a Bond gadget, but I wanted to say you don't get much more hi-tech than the "exploder button" in YOLT. Sounds like a five-year old named it.
    edited May 2014 Posts: 17,691
    Must have been a Sixties thing like groovy or some such.
    I still love the magnetic watch in LALD. Maybe more than it deserves.
  • edited May 2014 Posts: 11,189
    I love Bernard Lee in the scene it's introduced:

"Powerful enough to even deflect the path of a bullet"
    "I'm very tempted to test that theory right now"
    There is one blatant instance in which I wish to applaud the producers, in Goldeneye.

I love how they go through the trouble of giving Bond the Q scene, setting up the super gadgeted BMW, and then later on Joe Don Baker just drives off with the car, whose only purpose was transportation.

I wonder if they had other plans for it that got cut, or if they intentionally wanted to misguide the audience into thinking they were setting something up.

Intentional or unintentional, it's brilliant. It'd be even more brilliant in Bond 24 to have Q give Bond all these gadgets, and later in the field we see Bond consciously not use them, or, as CraigBond does, throw them to the side. Maybe throw in a later scene with Q scolding him.
    Martin Campbell says in the commentary that the BMW deal came in too late to change the script.
    I'm glad it was not used as well.
    Besides we got a BMW chase sequence in TND.
    BAIN123 wrote:
    Martin Campbell says in the commentary that the BMW deal came in too late to change the script.

I wonder if the Ferrari scene with Xenia was shot before the deal. It would look silly to have the BMW 'racing' against a full on super car anyway, I guess. And I suppose Bond doesn't get the car until later in the film.. but really the plot leaves no place for a rocket-propelled-car chase. I'm glad they decided to keep on without changing anything major, simply because it would look VERY shoehorned in.
    Ludovico wrote:
    Most contrived was the sonic ring in DAD.

Probably one of the worst scenarios, convenient that the villains main room in his lair had glass flooring. Then Bond using Jinxs slip line that conveniently shoots Bond to the top of the ice palace, though it is DAD.
    chrisisall wrote:
    A gadget totally failing! That'd be GREAT.

Trying to think of a time a Gadget failed there must have been one, though that would create a ironic spin on the gadgets and no doubt a great moment that would get a audience reaction. Gadget fails Bond curses Q and says F this and gets out of situation using his physicalallty or intelligence. Future script writer take heed lol
    DAF + MR = DAD
    chrisisall wrote:
    DAF + MR = DAD

I would include CR Jimmy Bond in that equation also :-)
    chrisisall wrote:

Trying to think of a time a Gadget failed there must have been one, though that would create a ironic spin on the gadgets and no doubt a great moment that would get a audience reaction. Gadget fails Bond curses Q and says F this and gets out of situation using his physicalallty or intelligence. Future script writer take heed lol

LALD. The watch.
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    When does the watch fail?
    I suppose when Bond tries to get the boat to move over when he's trapped on the island with the crocs. That's not so much the gadgets fault though - just bad luck.
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    Yes, the watch did what it was supposed to do. The boat couldn't move any further because it was tied up. I suppose it failed to get him out of a tough spot so I understand where @Ludovico is coming from.
    chrisisall wrote:

Yeah I think that's a good idea. Have one of the gadgets break so Bond has to improvise and use his wits to get out of a tough spot. It'd put the new Q in his place too as he's a bit too full of himself for my liking.
  • edited May 2014 Posts: 11,189
    Well the closest we've had to a gadget "breaking" was when the Lotus blew up in FYEO.
    That was a great & unexpected moment.
    Does anyone consider the anti-theft system for the exploding car in For Your Eyes Only a formal gadget?
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Of course it was, and one of the best.
    Well, yes, it's something NO ONE ELSE has... :))
    pachazo wrote:
    Yes, the watch did what it was supposed to do. The boat couldn't move any further because it was tied up. I suppose it failed to get him out of a tough spot so I understand where @Ludovico is coming from.

That is what I meant. One could argue that ultimately the gadgets laden Aston Martin fails in GF. Bond still ends up captured and defenseless.
    At least the ejector seat got rid of one goon...
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    BAIN123 wrote:
    I suppose when Bond tries to get the boat to move over when he's trapped on the island with the crocs. That's not so much the gadgets fault though - just bad luck.

I typed the exact same thing last night and deleted it after realizing it's not necessarily the watch's fault, because it did do its job.
    bondtheory wrote:
    Does anyone consider the anti-theft system for the exploding car in For Your Eyes Only a formal gadget?

That was a crazy anti theft device, anyone could accidently bump into that car.
    bondtheory wrote:

That was a crazy anti theft device, anyone could accidently bump into that car.

I believe you had to enter the vehicle, as in breaking the glass, to set it off.