Pierce Brosnan admits he can't bear to watch himself as Bond

Comments

• edited June 2017 Posts: 19,339
    DELETED - WRONG THREAD.
  • edited June 2017 Posts: 12,837
    Getafix wrote: »
    I find the comparisons between the iconic, pop culture defining Connery and Craig a bit daft.

By all means feel free to big up Dan, but these comparisons, similar to ones made when Brosnan were around, tend to ring hollow after a few years.

Give it a couple of decades and then come back and reassess. I'm sure Dan will remain a popular Bond amongst many fans, but by then the dust will have settled and perspective will have allowed for some more sober judgments on his era.

I suspect he will be seen as one of the better Bonds but perhaps not as different or radical as some now feel.

Yeah in terms of public opinion/how iconic they are, I don't think any will be able to touch Sean and Roger imo. I think in the wake of SP, we're already seeing a gradual reassessment of the Craig era and more comments criticising the approach they took. This will die down eventually, just as criticism of the Brosnan era in public circles is beginning to die down now that the hype around Craig has calmed down, but we seem to be past its peak of popularity now.

I think that in the future the Craig era will be seen by the public as a definite step up from Dalton and Brosnan, but still a notch below Connery and Moore (Moore is a weird one, his movies are often joked about but still on the whole seem to be remembered fondly). I do think CR and SF will still be highly regarded and mentioned when talking about the best Bond films, but I think the follow up will always be "shame about the last one". I actually started a thread on the subject

https://www.mi6community.com/discussion/15961/if-the-craig-era-is-over-do-you-think-it-will-stand-the-test-of-time

I think that if QoS and SP had been better recieved then he'd stand a chance of being up there with the big two. As it stands I'm not so sure.

It's worth noting that I'm on about public opinion here, not my own. Dalton is my favourite Bond, and I loved SP. I'm not talking about quality here, just what the masses think/remember.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    I agree with your assessment @thelivingroyale, and for the reasons you note. I must mirror the public, because I personally feel the same way too.
    Getafix wrote: »
    I find the comparisons between the iconic, pop culture defining Connery and Craig a bit daft.

By all means feel free to big up Dan, but these comparisons, similar to ones made when Brosnan were around, tend to ring hollow after a few years.

Give it a couple of decades and then come back and reassess. I'm sure Dan will remain a popular Bond amongst many fans, but by then the dust will have settled and perspective will have allowed for some more sober judgments on his era.

I suspect he will be seen as one of the better Bonds but perhaps not as different or radical as some now feel.

Yeah in terms of public opinion/how iconic they are, I don't think any will be able to touch Sean and Roger imo. I think in the wake of SP, we're already seeing a gradual reassessment of the Craig era and more comments criticising the approach they took. This will die down eventually, just as criticism of the Brosnan era in public circles is beginning to die down now that the hype around Craig has calmed down, but we seem to be past its peak of popularity now.

I think that in the future the Craig era will be seen by the public as a definite step up from Dalton and Brosnan, but still a notch below Connery and Moore (Moore is a weird one, his movies are often joked about but still on the whole seem to be remembered fondly). I do think CR and SF will still be highly regarded and mentioned when talking about the best Bond films, but I think the follow up will always be "shame about the last one". I actually started a thread on the subject

https://www.mi6community.com/discussion/15961/if-the-craig-era-is-over-do-you-think-it-will-stand-the-test-of-time

I think that if QoS and SP had been better recieved then he'd stand a chance of being up there with the big two. As it stands I'm not so sure.

It's worth noting that I'm on about public opinion here, not my own. Dalton is my favourite Bond, and I loved SP. I'm not talking about quality here, just what the masses think/remember.

I get the feeling outside of us Bond fans, the general public seem ready to move on from Craig. If he does return for a 5th outing (which I imagine/hope he will) I do wonder if the public will be on his side. I can't count the amount of conversations I've had with casual viewers who are absolutely under the impression that Craig has retired from the role. These same people believe that Elba and Hiddleston are being courted by producers. It's the consensus among the non die-hard Bond fans that this is the case, and in fairness talk of a new 007 actor is getting the regular folk excited. It may tarnish his legacy if he comes back for one more.
  • edited June 2017 Posts: 11,425
    I am sure you're right but I think if Craig intended to move on he would want to make that clear and not have it hanging over him. For that reason it's clear IMO that he is leaning towards doing another one, or at the very least wants to keep his options open. I suspect Babs is still keen for him to do one more. So the public may be 'disappointed'.
    I don't think it's entirely his decision, based on what I've read and pieced together. I agree though - I think he is open to coming back for one more.
    Of course it's not just his decision, just saying that if he felt the door was now closed on him coming back he'd want it out in the open and would have said so himself by now. So fair to assume he is up for another with the right script and director and that He thinks EON are as well.

Equally Babs might just be stringing him along. She appears to have a ruthless streak. It might suit her to have an official Bond at all times and not leave a long interval between Craig and any newcomer.

She certainly didn't seem to hesitate about getting rid of Brosnan when the time came.

As you and others have noted, EON have boxed themselves into a corner again with SP as they sort of did with DAD as well. You can see how they might feel another fresh start is necessary.
    I would think his market value & profile is higher as the incumbent Bond (helps him to get other parts). That may have something to do with it as well. You're right in saying that they all benefit from there not being a vacancy at this time, particularly as they negotiate a distribution deal.
  • edited June 2017 Posts: 11,425
    True. But he hasn't seemed very interested in leveraging Bond to get other work anyway. Would be odd that he intended to step down and just started adopting that approach (which Brosnan handled so well) right now.
    Yes, he took a long break between SF & SP, but he seems to be back on his game these days, perhaps realizing the clock is ticking.
    There really isnt anyone that great to take the walther form Craig these days anyways. Hardy might have had a chance before Mad Max
    is he in the new mama Mia?
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    @Getafix

Yes, I believe he is.
    glad he's still knocking them out. couldn't stand him as Bond but otherwise I rather like him
    He should do the next title song for the last Craig vehicle. It would be a laugh.
    If he doesnt like to watch himself as Bond then who are we to judge..done.
    SaintMark wrote: »
    He should do the next title song for the last Craig vehicle. It would be a laugh.
    Daniel Craig is James Bond in It Used to Be So Nice
    mattjoes wrote: »

Craig's ageing is scaring me atm.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    edited May 2018 Posts: 10,588
    barryt007 wrote: »

Have you not seen the recent pics of him at the Christies auction? He looks totally fine.
  • edited May 2018 Posts: 19,339
    jake24 wrote: »

Have you not seen the recent pics of him at the Christies auction? He looks totally fine.

Yes and i'm thinking +1 or 2 years not now .
  • peterpeter Toronto
    When my friend saw DC at the Drake here in Toronto a couple of weeks back I was like a school girl with a crush (I’m man enough to admit), and one of my questions was, well how did he look? My friend’s direct line was “he looked good, he looked like Daniel Craig “.
    It was said almost with a shrug.
    My point is, the average film goer doesn’t notice whether he’s aged or obsess over lines or creases in his face. When he’s tanned up, tight n toned, to them he’ll look just like Daniel Craig.
    While they’re enjoying the next film we’ll be on this site arguing about how good or bad he looked and obsessing over costume design, hair and what kind of eye makeup he used.

I was not impressed, but then again I'm not as forgiving of his current look as others are. It was certainly not as bad as BAFTA, but he looked gaunt and significantly older. Then again, I didn't think he looked good in SP either and I know many disagree.

Pierce on the other hand is aging very well.
  • peterpeter Toronto

Yes, and only to look better @jake24 -- from what I've been hearing, he's just started his training regiment and within weeks he looked better than at BAFTA. In a few more weeks he'll look even better.

@Talos would know a little bit about super-compensation training. And this is how Craig, and other middle-aged men, get in shape fast.

When this type of training takes places, the skin tightens, the muscles become more full from hypertrophy.

Craig could not continue training on all his large muscle groups to create super-compensation in the last film because he had a mangled knee. The best he could do was maintenance.

He'll be fine.

I do look forward to what Boyle has in store.
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    bondjames wrote: »

I was not impressed, but then again I'm not as forgiving of his current look as others are. It was certainly not as bad as BAFTA, but he looked gaunt and significantly older. Then again, I didn't think he looked good in SP either and I know many disagree.

Pierce on the other hand is aging very well.

Totally agree. Him and Connery are the only two Bonds, so far, that seem like they age very well. They look better as older men than they did as young ones, IMO. I know this is an unpopular opinion, but I honestly think Brosnan could come back and do one more Bond film. Sort of like what Connery did with NSNA. Maybe then he could finally make the Bond film he always wanted to make.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    The cool never left Connery, and so he always looked great. He looked great when he was young, great even when hairy and pudgy in DAF; looked great in Zardoz, or ten years later in Highlander; in the 90s he bulldozed over most of his co-stars, and looked amazing doing it.

It’s coz he was and always will be, cool.
  • RC7RC7
    peter wrote: »
    The cool never left Connery, and so he always looked great. He looked great when he was young, great even when hairy and pudgy in DAF; looked great in Zardoz, or ten years later in Highlander; in the 90s he bulldozed over most of his co-stars, and looked amazing doing it.

It’s coz he was and always will be, cool.

The only time I thought he looked peculiar was in NSNA. A little bit drag act, with the wig off. They went overboard with the eyeliner.
    Great in Zardoz ?

With string up his arse crack ?
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Yes @barryt007 : you try that look. I guarantee Connery makes a string up the ass look class; and yes @RC7, didn’t like the hair nor make-up in NSNA. But still... Connery!
    peter wrote: »
    Yes @barryt007 : you try that look. I guarantee Connery makes a string up the ass look class; and yes @RC7, didn’t like the hair nor make-up in NSNA. But still... Connery!

I look great with a string up my arse crack i will have you know ! ;)
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Pictures @barryt007. Pictures...!