Pierce Brosnan admits he can't bear to watch himself as Bond

Comments

• suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    The car chase in QoS is one of my all time favorite pre-title sequences.
    suavejmf wrote: »

Agreed,a brilliant sequence...

• BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    barryt007 wrote: »

If anything could be recognised :P edits all 0.3 seconds

If anything could be recognised :P edits all 0.3 seconds

Rubbish,Mr Kleenex...it is perfect nervous tension and panic,as that situation would be ;)

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    QoS fits in the top 5-10 in action for me in the series, pretty easily. The opening car chase, the Siena cat and mouse game, the Slate fight, the hotel finale and all the moments in between. It's by far the most visceral Bond film for me, where I feel every second of it right in my chest.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    QOS PTS is one of my favourites, I've got used to the fast editing and that opening swoop over Lake Garda is gorgeous.

Plus Craig 'sonly line to White is delivered so brilliantly, QOS is in my top 10, I'd warmed to it before SPECTRE arrived but I see it even more keenly in the light of that film.

I also find the dialogue at times the best of the era, the dialogue in SPECTRE is easily the worst and that is even taking the awful clunkers in CR into account.

If Bond 25 is a blend of CR & QOS you'd get no complaints from me.
    One of the main action sequences is drop if I was editor is the opening car chase.

Yes the opening shot is nice but it's all quite gratuitous and does little if anything to establish a story.

I agree with those who say the film should have started in the safe house.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    The film should've been made by the same crew who made Royale. And Martin Campbell should've returned to direct.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart

I actually love that poster. Better than the bland blue one we got in the states
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited April 2017 Posts: 23,883
    Brozza comments on his Bond interpretation and frustration with the increasingly outlandish scripts during his tenure. I must say I'm a bit dumbfounded, because I thought they tried to give him something more 'real' with TWINE, and it was botched all round.

http://www.femalefirst.co.uk/movies/movie-news/pierce-brosnans-bond-frustration-1055519.html

"I tried to bring the Connery gravitas and Celtic soul to it, mixed in with the light touch of Roger Moore. I wanted to keep both of their spirits within my Bond, and at first I was very aware of it, and I was nervous about indicating or playing impressions of those guys.

"But then I made peace with it, and rather came at it with my own rhythm and sense of timing. You need the confidence of the gods to just stand there and try to deliver the lines as simply as possible.
    "

What about Dalton and Laz, Pierce?
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    I think, because he grew up watching them, Sean and Roger meant the most to Pierce and he felt that those men were Bond to him. He also knew that the tone of the films was going towards a weird Connery/Moore mix, and tried to conform his Bond to fit it.

It makes sense he doesn't name Dalton. He'd just came after the man, and couldn't have copied him, as that approach wouldn't make him stand out, and the numbers showed the public weren't hungry for that kind of Bond anyway. Being traditional-not experimental-was what was called for. And funnily enough, too much of that tradition necessitated EON experimenting again in 2006.
    BAIN123 wrote: »
    One of the main action sequences is drop if I was editor is the opening car chase.

Yes the opening shot is nice but it's all quite gratuitous and does little if anything to establish a story.

Crazy talk. The opening is brilliant. QoS is for me the most enjoyable Craig entry
    Totally agree.....QOS PTS is an adrenaline rush of pure panic and survival...its brilliant...
    But what purpose does it actually serve? It's just action for the sake of action. At least the Mitchel chase came after an important plot revelation.
    I think, because he grew up watching them, Sean and Roger meant the most to Pierce and he felt that those men were Bond to him. He also knew that the tone of the films was going towards a weird Connery/Moore mix, and tried to conform his Bond to fit it.

It makes sense he doesn't name Dalton. He'd just came after the man, and couldn't have copied him, as that approach wouldn't make him stand out, and the numbers showed the public weren't hungry for that kind of Bond anyway. Being traditional-not experimental-was what was called for. And funnily enough, too much of that tradition necessitated EON experimenting again in 2006.
    Fair points. He was a victim of circumstance. I've always wondered if he would have been given more opportunity and leeway to shine under Cubby's tutelage & with Glen's direction in the 80's (if had become Bond then as was intended). I think so.
    edited April 2017 Posts: 28,694
    But what purpose does it actually serve? It's just action for the sake of action. At least the Mitchel chase came after an important plot revelation.

Bond has to survive, that's the motivation. If he doesn't get White to Italy alive, his leads that Vesper offered up die. What more story is needed?

This isn't to even say all action has to have some obvious story connection, either. It serves no story purpose for Bond to ski off a cliffside and pull a Union Jack chute, but it's iconic and glorious.
    bondjames wrote: »

Fair points. He was a victim of circumstance. I've always wondered if he would have been given more opportunity and leeway to shine under Cubby's tutelage & with Glen's direction in the 80's (if had become Bond then as was intended). I think so.

@bondjames, he would've had better material. Not dramatically better, maybe, but I don't think it would throw him into the circumstances of DAD, for example.

It just never seemed the right time for him. In the 80s he still looked boyish, and by the time he got the gig, the material wasn't there. GE was the perfect formula built for him, and they really just let it go after that point. Maybe Campbell just had the magic touch.
  • edited April 2017 Posts: 19,339

It shows how quick Quantum reacts to Bond getting hold of White at the end of CR ,and it's about Bond trying to get to the British safehouse,while under severe attack,with Quantum not even caring about all this happening in a public place .

Basically its showing the power and determination Quantum have ..how far they will go.

Which to me is a very important insight into how powerful they are.
    I agree to an extent @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, but I believe the late 80's were screaming out for Brosnan (or someone like him) rather than Dalton. To me, GE is the last of the old school flavour Bond films (I know some disagree). It has that throwback feeling while still being somewhat modern. From TND onwards they went into modern action territory and watered Bond down (to my chagrin) and then from CR onwards they went into full blown character dramas.

My point is Pierce was ready made for where the audience wanted Bond to go post-Roger in 1987. He could have easily pulled off TLD with a few modifications. In a way GE is the TLD of the 90's. A transition film of sorts.

If you see him in The Noble House (1988) the man has Bond written all over him (not just in looks but in the way he acted). Far more than Dalton imho.

c4fMq54.jpg

Anyway, it was not to be.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited April 2017 Posts: 13,894
    I have to agree with the "boyish" comment, back in the 1980's Brosnan looked like a slight breeze would have knocked him over. That photo has try hard written all over it. If he had been been cast in TLD, it would have lead to a watered down version of what we ended up with. For better or worse, it is Dalton we have to thank for TLD turning out as it did, as he wanted to take Bond back to some middle ground between the early films and books. That sort of attitude isn't Brosnan's style, he would have turned up, said his lines and nothing more.
    Maybe he might have given Kara a slap though...
    Somebody certainly should have.

It shows how quick Quantum reacts to Bond getting hold of White at the end of CR ,and it's about Bond trying to get to the British safehouse,while under severe attack,with Quantum not even caring about all this happening in a public place .

Basically its showing the power and determination Quantum have ..how far they will go.

That's a fair point but surely the notion of "having people everywhere" - including the same room - is even more powerful and not really something we were expecting. It just felt like another car chase to me with little actual relevance.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator

I think she'd slap him back, and knock him over.

That's a fair point but surely the notion of "having people everywhere" - including the same room - is even more powerful and not really something we were expecting. It just felt like another car chase to me with little actual relevance.
    If it was Quantum (Spectre?) shooting at the car and trying to tear it apart, didn't they realize their man was in the trunk/boot? Rather idiotic if I may so in that respect but I do really enjoy the chase, even if it is Bourne Supremacy (as is a lot of QoS) with Bond style.

She would have slapped him if we were to go by Paris and Electra ;)
  • edited April 2017 Posts: 19,339

It was BIG relevance Bain..Bond had White and as far as Quantum knew,who who knows what he might divulge to the British...they just didnt count on the one agent they didnt want to have White : 007.

She would have slapped him if we were to go by Paris and Electra ;)
    So true. Please don't remind me of those typical moments of 90's emasculation (I'd like to know which idiot said to do that in two consecutive films), which unfortunately deprived Pierce's Bond of a bit of his virility in my eyes.
    I've never really understood why Brosnan is seen as trying hard when posing but Craig does similar poses in certain images.
    Oh I definitely think Craig tries to hard, and not just in images. So don't think it's just Brosnan. When he (Craig) walks, he looks like he's trying to copy Connery's panther like way of walking.