Making Connections (Potential Spoilers) - Why Quantum Could Feature In Bond 24

124»

Comments

• RC7RC7
    Ludovico wrote: »

SPECTRE is Blofeld. Quantum is... ?

This is precisely why I'm unconvinced by Quantum as a cinematic proposition. In QoS they were set up much like that of a modern terrorist organisation, whereby they have a figurehead of sorts, but the organisation continues irrespective of that figurehead being assassinated, much like a government.

Blofeld was always the end game, the conclusion. He was the individual whose elimination signalled a suppression of the SPECTRE threat. An old fashioned good beats bad scenario.

Quantum, having been set up as a more omnipotent entity, is just not suitable for the franchise as it stands. They would be great televisually - the writers being able to flesh them out to twenty hours plus programming a year, interweaving many strands and building a satisfying arc worthy of such an organisation. But doing that on film would take ten years. Who wants to wait two/three years, in this day and age, to find out where the Quantum story goes next? Not the general public, that's for sure. They are simply not the right threat to carry multiple Bond films IMO.

I'd be happy with standalone films, unless they have a faceless villain who can carry the correct level of menace to warrant getting excited across two or three movies. I don't want to wait two years to find the evil genius is a government bod who looks like a local councillor. I want him to have white hair, green contact lenses and a syphilis-ravaged nose. Thank you, please.
    It was my understanding that it was Forster and Amalric. But even in QOS they needed to have the odd looking Elvis, tagging along, as if they couldn't get rid of the benign bizarre. Bond tropes are powerful. And the head of Quantum could easily be Blofeld or a proto Blofeld.