Cleese vs. Whishaw - Who is your favourite Q's successors?

124»

Comments

• edited February 2016 Posts: 4,599
    Its interesting how Q has developed. In Skyfall, he was portrayed as a sensitive chap who lounges in his pyjamas and drinks posh tea. From that, I would have extrapolated that he was "green" and a big fan of Tesla (expliting cutting edge tech for the good of the planet) etc, and not a subscriber to Autosport mags
    so in Spectre when the Aston is revealed and he says "Magnificent isn't she" , I was surprised as I thought he would have seen the Aston as a gas guzzling dinosaur. It also takes away the potential for interesting and conflicting dialogue as, by implication, the driver would also be considered a dinosaur (carrying on the theme from SF)
    I digress.
  • RC7RC7
    Birdleson wrote: »
    With Q comes gadgets. I prefer Bond without either. In Fleming's books we get a couple (at most) mentions of Q Dept. (no character named Q). Aside from the knives in the briefcase in FROM RUSSIA WITH LOVE, not much else comes to mind right now in terms of literary gadgets. Major Boothroyd shows up once, as an armourer, to swap out Bond's Beretta for the PPK. That's about it, and I always prefer hewing close to Fleming.

I actually enjoyed him quite a few of the scenes in SF and SP, namely the ones that don't involve gadgets or direct exposition around gadgets. But I mostly agree. I think they should get rid of him when they recast and install Tanner as a more prominent member of MI6, a confidante, friend and close ally, with a more authoritative M and a desk-bound Ponsonby.
  • JohnHammond73JohnHammond73 Lancashire, UK
    I prefer Whishaw. True, overused in SP as part of "Team Bond" (although I really enjoyed the movie) but I do like him in the role.

As for Cleese, while I love him as an actor, I didn't enjoy him as R/Q.
  • Birdleson wrote: »
    I did like him in SKYFALL, overused in the follow-up.

This, and I like the gadgets and stuff in the movies (many ecxeptions). Love Llewelyn's Q
    Q briefing Bond in the lab (or a museum) whilst being passed a gadget or two is one of THE iconic scenes within the Bond formula. I am not really comfortable when you see Q out "in the field", it never really feels right to me.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    Q in Skyfall was just bloody useless, idiotic and simply wrong.

Q in Spectre is brilliant, witty, funny, eloquent, intelligent, helpful and a great addition to the MI6 team.

Compared to Whishaw's depiction of Q in Spectre, Cleese was utterly unfunny and useless.

If they continue with Whishaw in that way, he will become the best Q ever. Yes, it's blasphemy to say that I know. Still...
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    patb wrote: »
    Q briefing Bond in the lab (or a museum) whilst being passed a gadget or two is one of THE iconic scenes within the Bond formula. I am not really comfortable when you see Q out "in the field", it never really feels right to me.

Well, if we think about it: Q is in the Bahamas in TB, in Japan in YOLT, Hong-Kong in TMWTGG, Sardaigna in TSWLM (and his lab is in Egypt), Brazil in MR, Greece in FYEO, India in OP, Isthmus City in LTK.
    As much as i like Cleese, I like Whisaw more.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    RogueAgent wrote: »
    As much as i like Cleese, I like Whisaw more.
    ^This.
    Its interesting how Q has developed. In Skyfall, he was portrayed as a sensitive chap who lounges in his pyjamas and drinks posh tea. From that, I would have extrapolated that he was "green" and a big fan of Tesla (expliting cutting edge tech for the good of the planet) etc, and not a subscriber to Autosport mags
    so in Spectre when the Aston is revealed and he says "Magnificent isn't she" , I was surprised as I thought he would have seen the Aston as a gas guzzling dinosaur. It also takes away the potential for interesting and conflicting dialogue as, by implication, the driver would also be considered a dinosaur (carrying on the theme from SF)
    I digress.

One word: geek. Q is a geek and obviously loves his high tech stuff, so this takes over any tree hugging feeling he may have.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Perhaps I am one of the few who doesn't really appreciate the modern-day geeky type character being cast as Q. Sure, Q's assistant works, perhaps. But, not Q. Whishaw, even though a great portrayal of a character he plays, isn't the Q for me. Sorry.

And all these dismissals Cleese gets, sure he did try to be funny but came off blandly in The World Is Not Enough as R, but I think fellows are overreacting to it because it's not half as bad as it gets credit for. As Q in Die Another Day, Cleese was just perfect and didn't perform anything funny that anyone would even cite.

"Now, a new watch. This will be your 20th, I believe?"
    "How time flies."
    "Yes, well, 007, why don't you establish a new record by actually returning this one?"

or...

"You know, you're cleverer than you look."
    "Still, better looking cleverer than you are."

And he did react to 007's comments without much of a care, knowing how reckless he is. For all there is, he was actually a Q figure. A laid back one at that, so to speak, unlike the 'R' of The World Is Not Enough.
  • SzonanaSzonana Mexico
    Cleese
    In The world is not enough he was just an apprentice but by die another day he became a very worthy successor to be Q
  • RC7RC7
    I can stomach most things, but the Cleese scene in TWINE is the epitome of cringe-worthy. It's embarrassing. "But you said!"
    Szonana wrote: »
    Cleese
    In The world is not enough he was just an apprentice but by die another day he became a very worthy successor to be Q

And this is part of the problem. I'm no stickler for overt realism, but the idea of someone undertaking an MI6 apprenticeship a couple of years shy of retirement age is just laughable. This is when they still felt bound by the legacy.

Making Q younger in this era makes total sense. I'm not fussed about them keeping the character on post-DC, although it wouldn't bother me, but if they did recast I'd ditch MP and get a younger female Q in. Slims down your cast, while maintaining the possibilities for abrasive interplay and sexual tension and rolling them into one character.
  • GBFGBF
    I'd probably prefer Cleese. I don't know but I have always liked an old Q who is kind of a father figure for Bond. Especially in the Moore and Brosnan era the chemistry between Q and Bond was always great and the sequences with Q and Bond have often been the highlights of the films.
    Everyone has their own tastes but, for me, there is no better example of how wide the spectrum of tastes is re Bond movies. The characters are poles apart and, for me, Cleese was just a clown who really devalued the legacy of the role, and, by implication, the series. I am really surprised that he has any fans...but there you go.
    Cleese was an embarrassment. Whishaw was a little too subdued for me in SF (Bit like the film!) But he was much better in SP, so I'll go with him! At a push though, I agree that the character should not have been brought back at all!
    Whishaw for me, enjoyed Cleese at that time but I was in my teens and so enjoyed the silly laughs at the time
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    Whishaw - easily. Love JC, but he was totally wrong for the part.
    Just watched the museum scene again from SF, for me it's one of the highlights of the movie. Great acting, decent dialogue and just time to let the characters develop plus some symbolism to add to one of the over arching themes.. I love DC's look at 8 seconds where Q sits close to him and Bond thinks that he is some nutter that you do get in museums or sitting next to you on the bus. He looks down on the seat as if to say "He's not actually going to sit there is he?" Compare that to Cleese's grotesque OTT music hall romp: when watched side by side, you would never guess they are from the same series of films. A perfect example of how the franchise has developed (and grown up IMHO) over time. I make no apology for posting the link for those who want to enjoy it again

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited February 2016 Posts: 23,883
    I love DC's look at 8 seconds where Q sits close to him and Bond thinks that he is some nutter that you do get in museums or sitting next to you on the bus. He looks down on the seat as if to say "He's not actually going to sit there is he?"
    I agree. Superb scene and great acting by both. I've given that look myself many times (particularly in half empty movie theatres when some idiot comes and sits next to me or just in front of me just before the film starts. Like there aren't any other seats in the freaking place!). Love it when Bond is just about ready to get up and walk away. He'd had enough of this pimply art loving geek.
    Whishaw, but I hope they get rid of Moneypenny and Q after these instalments - if they fully believe that'we don't go in for that kind of thing' then you don't need Q. I like the idea of Bond having his own secretary - i.e. Loelia Ponsonby.
  • edited February 2016 Posts: 11,189
    DELETE
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    I prefer Whishaw over Cleese, as Cleese was giving his impression of Q. Where as
    Whishaw is giving a totally different chacter, ( only my opinion, obviously) :)
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Ben Whishaw is my preferred Q. Plus, we share the same birthday! ;)
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    bondjames wrote: »
    I love DC's look at 8 seconds where Q sits close to him and Bond thinks that he is some nutter that you do get in museums or sitting next to you on the bus. He looks down on the seat as if to say "He's not actually going to sit there is he?"
    I agree. Superb scene and great acting by both. I've given that look myself many times (particularly in half empty movie theatres when some idiot comes and sits next to me or just in front of me just before the film starts. Like there aren't any other seats in the freaking place!). Love it when Bond is just about ready to get up and walk away. He'd had enough of this pimply art loving geek.

Agreed great scene, I much prefer Skyfall to SPECTRE but Wishaw's Q in SP is definitely more developed. With all the issues I had with that film he wasn't one of them.

It's not his fault he had to deliver that nonsense about scanning the ring and discovering everything about the organisation and how it's all connected to Bond.

Wishaw was fine it was just the material he had to work with.