Cleese vs. Whishaw - Who is your favourite Q's successors?

Comments

Wishaw. I look forward to him in the next one

Cleese was an embarassment
    It's Whishaw for me. He fits in very well with the current way of Bond storytelling, and he has great chemistry with Craig. He's also extremely alluring.
    They were far too comedic with Cleese, i am liking where they are going with Wishaw. So i am looking forward to seeing how they develope the interactions between the 2 characters?
    Neither but Cleese if I had to choose.
  • Sorry but I just hated Cleese, so it's Whishaw for me!
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    John Cleese is one my favorite actors but he was just too cheesy in TWINE and DAD. so Whishaw for me, can't wait to see him in Bond 24.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    Easily Wishaw, Cleese just played John Cleese, no real variety, the problem when you get someone as world famous as him to play an established character like Q, your not thinking that's Q your thinking that's John Cleese.

The idea was very silly and whoever came up with it obviously didn't think it through.

Shardlake wrote: »
    Easily Wishaw, Cleese just played John Cleese, no real variety, the problem when you get someone as world famous as him to play an established character like Q, your not thinking that's Q your thinking that's John Cleese.

The idea was very silly and whoever came up with it obviously didn't think it through.

A lot of the ideas that came up during the Brosnan years were not well thought out ( or followed through adequately).

Cleese was an insult to Desmond's memory. What exactly were they shooting for? All that budget and this is the best they could do?
  • John Cleese was not meant to be Q replacement. In the dialog he was addressed as 'R'
    Wishaw was cast as 'Q' . Cannot say much till at least two or three movies later.
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    Dseet3628 wrote: »
    John Cleese was not meant to be Q replacement. In the dialog he was addressed as 'R'
    Wishaw was cast as 'Q' . Cannot say much till at least two or three movies later.

Yes, in The World is not Enough. In Die Another Day, he's Q.
    I would have to go for Cleese as I really didn't like the nerdy, trainspotter "Richard Ayoade" rendition seen in SF. As an alternative Major Boothroyd I still prefer Peter Burton's take seen in Dr No. So my order is..
    Desmond Llewelyn
    Peter Burton
    John Cleese

And way down the list
    Ben Whishaw
  • edited August 2014 Posts: 11,189
    I get the sense Whishaw is someone you either love or are annoyed by. My friend (after mocking the line "so much for my promising career in espionage") said "god he was bad"
    I really loved that line. Llewellyn's Q was a father figure, the new Q is full of youthful arrogance.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Maybe I am ridiculous but a few years ago, I wanted Jeremy Clarskson as Q. Completly ludicrous I know, but I prefer my Q older than Bond, sort of an old techno geek. Probably why I really like the Harold Finch character from 'Person of Interest' so much. But I do admit I largerly prefer Whishaw to Cleese, who was just a caricature of himself.
    I was not keen about a younger Q either, but warmed up to Whishaw. I now understand the approach: you could not recreate Llewellyn.
    I thought his first scene in the museum was genuinely funny.
  • Ludovico wrote: »
    I really loved that line. Llewellyn's Q was a father figure, the new Q is full of youthful arrogance.

Don´t think Llewellyn´s Q was really a father figure, but rather someone who doesn't fall for Bond's debonaire attitude. Whishaw's Q is like that too, in my opinion. The difference is that Llewellyn could afford to act like that since he naturally came across as this wise genius guy. Whishaw isn't like that, which makes him seem arrogant. I don't mind him being a little cocky though, because it balances out Bond's huge ego all the same and makes for good banter.

Bottom line is that nobody could play Q the way Llewellyn did.
    I think Q became more of a father figure later on - particularly in the Dalton/Brosnan films.

- he drops in on Bond "to see how he's getting on"
    -he tells Bond that "he's always tried to teach him 2 things".

Although he was going that way in some of the later Moore films.
    Llewelyn became a father figure with Dalton and Brosnan, I agree. But I was more focusing on Q being a older techno geek. Technology is so present these days, whenever I see people talking about computers, cellphones and video games on TV it's mostly young nerds talking. So in this age I would really like a more serious, older techno-knowledgable guy as Q. The new Doctor Who actor, Peter Capaldi, would have been brilliant as Q!
    BAIN123 wrote: »
    I think Q became more of a father figure later on - particularly in the Dalton/Brosnan films.

- he drops in on Bond "to see how he's getting on"
    -he tells Bond that "he's always tried to teach him 2 things".

Although he was going that way in some of the later Moore films.

I think this was due to the age difference, much more marked with Dalton and Brosnan.
  • edited August 2014 Posts: 12,837
    I think David Jason could have been a good Q.

"007 you plonker!" ;-)
  • :)) And of course, the gadgets he gave Bond would be cheap, shoddily made and would never actually work :P

"007 you plonker!" ;-)

Him and Roger would have been quite funny in the 80s.
  • MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.
    He who dares wins 007.
  • edited February 2016 Posts: 1,386
    Ben Whishaw's Q being so young makes Bond seem like a curmudgeon to me so I say Cleese because he never made me dislike Bond in his scenes.
    Wishaw easily
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    edited February 2016 Posts: 11,139
    Cleese in the Bond movies he was in was a buffoon. I didnt appreciate or care for his character. Good riddance.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Cleese. Most definitely Cleese. If I could, I would just get him back.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Birdleson wrote: »
    Birdleson wrote: »
    I'd go with the Q we had in CR and QOS.

Just reposting what I said two years ago on this subject.
    You have a point. As fun as Whishaw is, we are moving into cliche territory very fast again.