Change the actor in a movie and improve it!

Comments

Lee Van Cleef as Felix Leiter in GF and TB.
    Helen Mirren as M in the Craig Bond movies ( Judi Dench did not belong in the reboot since she was M during the Brosnan era ).
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited April 2014 Posts: 4,444
    Maggie Gyllenhaal in Batman Begins. She replaced Katie Holmes in The Dark Knight, but feels to much as new chacter, so better have her from the beginning.

Gary Oldman as Professor Lupin and David Thewlis as Serius Black.

Delete chacter from Harry Potter 4 i have liked to see played by Timothy Dalton and Judi Dench doing the voice of Dobby girlfriend or play chacter in the 7th novel.
  • edited April 2014 Posts: 11,189
    Liam Neeson replacing Steven Segal in Under Siege. Would have been great against Tommy Lee Jones.

Steven Segal is good with the martial arts stuff but doesn't really have much charisma. Jones upstages him in the scene with them together.
  • edited April 2014 Posts: 14,834
    BAIN123 wrote:
    Liam Neeson replacing Steven Segal in Under Siege. Would have been great against Tommy Lee Jones.

Steven Segal is good with the martial arts stuff but doesn't really have much charisma. Jones upstages him in the scene with them together.

Seagal does not really have acting skills either. But most of the issues with this film have nothing to do with the casting: Seagal's character never seems to be in any danger throughout the whole movie. He easily overpowers and dispatches Tommy Lee Jones in maybe one of the most anticlimactic climatic fights of action movies.
  • edited April 2014 Posts: 11,189
    Agreed, I never once genuinely thought Segal/Ryback was going to lose (even when Colm Meaney had him cornered).

In that final fight with TLJ Segal always seems to have the upper hand.
    I never liked the actress (Shelly something I just can't recall her last name) who payed Wendy Torrance in The Shining.
    The character in the book was much stronger and described as better looking.

Perhaps Linda Purl or Dee Wallace in her place.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Telly Savalas as Lex Luthor in Superman the Movie.
    OHMSS69 wrote:
    I never liked the actress (Shelly something I just can't recall her last name) who payed Wendy Torrance in The Shining.
    The character in the book was much stronger and described as better looking.

Perhaps Linda Purl or Dee Wallace in her place.

Shelly Duvall I think.
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    I know we haven't seen Ben Affleck as Batman yet (I'm hopeful he'll do great but not holding my breath) but I would like to see Karl Urban take on the role. He's got the looks for a playboy billionaire and the toughness for Batman.

28432.jpg
    karlurbanbatman.jpg
    I agree! Plus listen to his Dredd voice with your eyes closed- easy to imagine Batman!
    SlyFox007 wrote:
    Connery instead of Lazenby in OHMSS.

I know that OHMSS is held in high regards among those in these forums, but to me Lazenby's still the one actor to play Bond who never really brought anything new to the table. Can't help feeling Connery would have at least brought the same hard edges to the role that he always did.

Can't say it's an improvement per se, but the fact that Frank Sinatra was this close to playing "Dirty" Harry Calahan always makes me wonder what might have been. Of course, Clint Eastwood was absolutely awesome in the role. But still . . .

I do not agree at all. First thing, Connery wasn't interested. Second thing, a pedestrian effort by Connery would have seriously injured what turned out be a MASTERPIECE. Some people just don't realize the big favor Connery did us by staying AWAY from OHMSS.

As much as I like Connery's work as an actor, he should have call it quits right after Thunderball.

I know we haven't seen Ben Affleck as Batman yet (I'm hopeful he'll do great but not holding my breath) but I would like to see Karl Urban take on the role. He's got the looks for a playboy billionaire and the toughness for Batman.

28432.jpg
    karlurbanbatman.jpg

I've got to hand it to you friend, never considered this, never thought about it, but this is ONE HELL of an idea. Great suggestion!
  • edited April 2014 Posts: 1
    I think Alex O'Loughlin would be an excellent choice of a forthcoming James Bond?

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1533927/?ref_=rvi_nm
    SlyFox007 wrote:
    Connery instead of Lazenby in OHMSS.

I know that OHMSS is held in high regards among those in these forums, but to me Lazenby's still the one actor to play Bond who never really brought anything new to the table. Can't help feeling Connery would have at least brought the same hard edges to the role that he always did.

Can't say it's an improvement per se, but the fact that Frank Sinatra was this close to playing "Dirty" Harry Calahan always makes me wonder what might have been. Of course, Clint Eastwood was absolutely awesome in the role. But still . . .

I do not agree at all. First thing, Connery wasn't interested. Second thing, a pedestrian effort by Connery would have seriously injured what turned out be a MASTERPIECE. Some people just don't realize the big favor Connery did us by staying AWAY from OHMSS.

As much as I like Connery's work as an actor, he should have call it quits right after Thunderball.

Agree, Connery should have done OHMSS when he was at his prime. One problem with Lazenby is that they try too much to make him Connery, for example forcing him to do the one-liners that didn't suit him too well.

As for Karl Urban, he would be great as Batman, as all his portrayals have shown.
    edited April 2014 Posts: 1,812
    I agree! Plus listen to his Dredd voice with your eyes closed- easy to imagine Batman!

That was my thoughts as well. Also, that angry frown he has through half of Dredd would be great for Batman.
    I've got to hand it to you friend, never considered this, never thought about it, but this is ONE HELL of an idea. Great suggestion!

Thanks! The idea actually came to me in a dream I had about a year or so ago. Ever since then I've wanted him to play Batman.
    Is it wrong that I'm kind of hoping Man of Steel 2 (Superman vs Batman or whatever it's called) will bomb just so Urban can get his chance at Batman?

• MurdockMurdock The minus world
    edited April 2014 Posts: 16,331
    Thanks! The idea actually came to me in a dream I had about a year or so ago. Ever since then I've wanted him to play Batman.
    Is it wrong that I'm kind of hoping Man of Steel 2 (Superman vs Batman or whatever it's called) will bomb just so Urban can get his chance at Batman?

No It's not wrong. Man of Steel was an insult to Superman, the sooner this "reboot" sequel fails, the sooner people will get sick of these gritty reboots of superhero movies.
    I enjoy the gritty superhero movies like TDK trilogy but The Man of Steel didn't have much of a story. It was just an overload of action and CGI. I feel like the movie had all the right ingredients but failed in the cooking process.
    I've also never been a fan of Superman. The only Superman comic I enjoyed was Earth One (which I own), the only TV show I liked was Lois and Clark: The New Adventures of Superman (Smallville was good up to the 3rd season then went downhill fast), and the only good movie was Superman the Movie. The other comics, TV shows, movies, cartoons, video games, etc. have never been that good. I honestly don't know how he's become so popular. No offense to Superman fans out there.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I'm not much of a big Superman fan myself. Man of Steel was the first superman movie I ever saw and I just saw it as a big dumb mess. Then I saw the original Richard Donner superman film and was completely blown away.
    Karl Urban for Batman? That is a cracking suggestion! :-bd

28432.jpg
    karlurbanbatman.jpg

^ This.

I've been saying for years now that Urban should replace Bale once he hung up the cape. Dredd was practically an audition for Batman and Urban nailed it.

As far as this thread goes

George Lazenby instead of Sean Connery in Diamonds are Forever.

Any actor in the world instead of Hayden Christiansen in Attack of the Clones.

Sean Connery instead of Albert Finney in Skyfall.

Edward Norton instead of Mark Ruffalo in The Avengers (I know I'm in the minority there)

Josh Holloway instead of Colin Farrell in Miami Vice.

Josh Holloway instead of Taylor Kitsch in X-Men Origins: Wolverine

28432.jpg
    karlurbanbatman.jpg

^ This.

I've been saying for years now that Urban should replace Bale once he hung up the cape. Dredd was practically an audition for Batman and Urban nailed it.

As far as this thread goes

George Lazenby instead of Sean Connery in Diamonds are Forever.

Any actor in the world instead of Hayden Christiansen in Attack of the Clones.

Sean Connery instead of Albert Finney in Skyfall.

Edward Norton instead of Mark Ruffalo in The Avengers (I know I'm in the minority there)

Josh Holloway instead of Colin Farrell in Miami Vice.

I agree with Edward Norton, who in my mind is the true Bruce Banner.
    I've got nothing againts Ruffalo, but Norton made a much more likeable and credible Banner.
  • edited April 2014 Posts: 4,813
    I agree, although the guy they used was likeable enough too. I'll say this though: if an X-Men movie was made in the 90's (like a Jim Lee esque version) the Van Damme would have owned as Gambit!!

232323232%7Ffp%3A%3B7%3Enu%3D3246%3E9%3C3%3E%3A8%3A%3EWSNRCG%3D3468946463325nu0mrj
    People keep suggesting Bryan Cranston for villainous roles, like Lex Luthor, but I think he'd be a dead ringer for Dr. Banner. He even resembles Bill Bixby in the role

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQRkSFlNZ37tKZo-L9Hmit3qpUrcvumuKp8tnLuSRE9bDvDGMXuhqdefault.jpg
  • Oliver Reed and Kate Jackson instead of Michael Lonsdale and Lois Chiles in Moonraker.

Brian Dennehy instead of Joe Don Baker in The Living Daylights.

Linda Fiorentino instead of Denise Richards in The World Is Not Enough.

Stanley Baker or Robert Shaw instead of Roger Moore in Gold (good movie, though, and Moore's good in it).

Russell Crowe and Carey Lowell instead of Keanu Reeves and Sandra Bullock in Speed.

Bruce Campbell instead of James Franco in Oz the Great and Powerful.

Kenneth Branagh and Nicole Kidman or Elizabeth Hurley instead of Ralph Fiennes and Uma Thurman in The Avengers (1998).

George Clooney instead of Will Smith and Peter Dinklage or Michael J. Anderson (Twin Peaks) instead of Kenneth Branagh in The Wild Wild West.
    The Avengers was not bad because of its casting though. It was bad because of its writing. That said, Kenneth Brannagh looked a bit more like John Steed than Ralph Fiennes.
    Ludovico wrote:
    The Avengers was not bad because of its casting though. It was bad because of its writing. That said, Kenneth Brannagh looked a bit more like John Steed than Ralph Fiennes.

Even God couldn't have saved that film.
  • edited April 2014 Posts: 27
    Oh, I'm not claiming the casting would've made the The Avengers ('98) a good movie (ditto with The Wild Wild West), but it would've probably made it ever-so-slightly better than what we got, at least in that aspect of the film. Fiennes, while a fine actor, was too cold/aloof as Steed, and apart from her action physique, Thurman was seriously miscast as Mrs. Peel. The two also had no chemistry whatsoever.

Branagh in Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets seemed more avuncular, in a somewhat MacNee-like way, than the reserved Fiennes. I remember seeing Chamber and thinking Branagh would've made a decent John Steed.
    True, this thread is about improving a movie, not saving it. I could see Branagh as Steed, he has both the appearance and the attitude. But it is difficult for me to imagine anyone else than Diana Rigg as Emma Peel.
    I agree, although the guy they used was likeable enough too. I'll say this though: if an X-Men movie was made in the 90's (like a Jim Lee esque version) the Van Damme would have owned as Gambit!!

That'd be interesting. Although I'm not sure Van Damme would've been able to pull off Gambit's swagger and laid-back attitude.