Biggest change in opinion regarding anything Bond-y?

Comments

• BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    It's funny that the 3 most OTT Bond films in the canon - DAF, MR, DAD - all feature extremely charismatic and entertaining performances from their main actor. What would these 3 films be without Connery, Moore and Brosnan visibly having a ton of fun?

Exactly!
  • SzonanaSzonana Mexico
    I liked Diamonds are forever much more the second time around and while looks wise Tiffany doesn't fit the mold of a Bond girl she definitely had a certain spark which made her very fun to watch?

• Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    I used to hate OHMSS. There is a lot different about that film and it just didn't seem to fit. It was a long time before it clicked.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    I was the same @Mendes4Lyfe when I was younger, I hated it. No hollowed out
    Volcano, gadgets etc. Although a few years later it became my #1 Bond film. :)
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    I agree, and the same goes for LTK. Both top 10 for me these days but when younger I couldn't stand either of them.
    Yes same with me, and QOS . Hated it at first too. :)
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Yes same with me, and QOS . Hated it at first too. :)

With you there. After CR raised the bar so high the disappointment as I walked out of the cinema was crushing.

Over time it has grown from that awful beginning to be reasonably middle of the pack. Plus it looks so much better in bluray on a decent sized screen at home than it did on the big screen.
    Yes, you do need a big screen to fully take everything in.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    DIAMONDS ARE FOREVER
    LIVE AND LET DIE
    THUNDERBALL

DAF didn't go well with me when I saw it the first time, compared to the others I found it silly and cheap looking. Also I didn't get the humour nor did I try.

LALD I didn't like the voodoo stuff, didn't like the supporting cast, except Solitaire and the only thing I really like was the speed boat/police car chase with Sheriff Pepper.

With the arrival of High Definition I finally got to know them better and I was able to throw my prejudice against them over board.

LALD is my No 15 and DAF is my No 16 in the ranking. Both were at the bottom together with TMWTGG since the beginning of time.

LALD and DAF have gone into the club of 18 Bond movie that I consider flawless entertainment.

DAF even has become the movie I can re-watch the easiest, the other one being QOS.

TB on the other hand went from being in my Top 5 to No 19 in my ranking over the years.
    I find it rather boring in too many places and the finale is amongst the weakest in the series or it is even the weakest.
  • w2bondw2bond is indeed a very rare breed
    I didn't used to like Saunders, but I now feel that the change from Saunder's no-nonsense and Bond's don't-give-a-shit attitude towards each other, to one of mutual respect was well played, made even moreso by Saunders death. It's hardly the Kerim Bey of relationships but it's one of the better ones in the series.
    I tend to love the Connery films more and more, especially DN and DAF, GF and FRWL have always been near the top of my rankings. TB and YOLT though will stay in my bottom five.
    I appreciate DN and FRWL more, DAF I have a soft spot for but it's in the middle because I like other entries more. The other two have always been near the bottom
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I tend to love the Connery films more and more, especially DN and DAF, GF and FRWL have always been near the top of my rankings. TB and YOLT though will stay in my bottom five.

So its just two of them, isn t it?
  • edited October 2016 Posts: 11,189
    Used to like Licence to Kill much more. Now, aside from a few aspects, I think its good but not great.

So its just two of them, isn t it?

You mean four? DN FRWL GF and DAF.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    You love those other two more as well? On their own, or compared to other films?
    You love those other two more as well? On their own, or compared to other films?

I was probably unclear. I always loved GF and FRWL immensely, it was love at first sight so to speak with both.
    DN I always liked but now I love it as much as GF and FRWL.
    DAF was at the bottom of my ranking for ages. Only since I have it on Blu-ray I have gotten to know it properly and now it's my No 1 in terms of re-watchability. And it's as far up as 13 in my ranking.

TB is very good, but I find it also quite boring in many places, underwater scenes and the finale is just meh.
    YOLT I find rather boring, but the finale is the best in the series and so is Ken Adam's set of the volcano.
    Both stay in my bottom five, only AVTAK, TWINE and SF are lower.
    I really like the QOS PTS, and Arnold's soundtrack is a big reason why. I love the sound effects of the gunshots and glass shattering, and the scene itself has great camera angles and filmed beautifully. It's a very brutal and raw chase.

I even tolerate the editing, but I will never like it.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    edited November 2016 Posts: 6,786
    Pre-1990 my opinion about the films haven't changed much. Always been a defender of Laz and Tim. Always been a fan of TMWTGG, TSWLM and the classic first four.

There has been some change in opinion regarding the Brosnan and Craig eras. I used to be very critical of Pierce and thought Craig was right up there with Sean and Tim.

They've switched places now.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited November 2016 Posts: 8,087
    GoldenGun wrote: »
    Pre-1989 my opinion about the films haven't changed much.

There has been some change in opinion regarding the Brosnan and Craig eras. I used to be very critical of Pierce and thought Craig was right up there with Sean and Tim.

They've switched places now.

Totally agree. The Craig era has given me a new appreciation for Brosnan and his films. GE and TND have both risen substantially in the last few years for me.
    Having watched a ton of Bonds this year, I must say, sadly, my appreciation for the Craig films is going down a bit. I still love them, but now they're seeming overrated. I enjoyed recent viewings of DAF and MR far more than my last viewing of CR.
    Frankly, I'm not finding CR as true to Fleming as I used to. The first half of the film really has nothing to do with the novel, it's just plot set up (or padding).
    OP has risen to become my second favorite Moore Bond- a lot from nostalgia, but also it's just a fun film. Moore is extremely cool throughout and personifies what Bond meant to me as a kid and now. AVTAK has gone up alarmingly as well.
    Perhaps if we were at the height of the Craig era as, say when SF was in production, with the security of knowing there would be 2 more films in the era to look forward to, I might not have soured. But now with the series in limbo and the very real possibility the era has ended with SP, I've a feeling I may regard these films towards the bottom as I do TND, TWINE and DAD.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    I've watched about 215/220 Bond films this year. I didn't make major changes in my ranking. However, I did notice several outings seem to go by faster and faster each time I see them. GE, TND, QOS, FYEO, OP, LTK, SF in particular just fly by for me now. You could tell me these 7 films are an hour long and I would believe you. I really don't know what it is about Bond films, maybe I know them so well, but they are probably the only films where I just don't feel the time pass, and I'm always amazed how quickly the end credits arrive. Sometimes I feel I've barely sat down, and I've double billed 2 outings!
  • edited November 2016 Posts: 11,189
    I've watched about 215/220 Bond films this year. I didn't make major changes in my ranking. However, I did notice several outings seem to go by faster and faster each time I see them. GE, TND, QOS, FYEO, OP, LTK, SF in particular just fly by for me now. You could tell me these 7 films are an hour long and I would believe you. I really don't know what it is about Bond films, maybe I know them so well, but they are probably the only films where I just don't feel the time pass, and I'm always amazed how quickly the end credits arrive. Sometimes I feel I've barely sat down, and I've double billed 2 outings!

Funny that as there are only 24 official ones and 3 unofficial ones ;)
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    BAIN123 wrote: »

Funny that as there are only 24 official ones and 3 unofficial ones ;)

I wonder how much longer my Blu Ray's of these films will last until they get totally worn out. ;)
  • OHMSS.

I hated it the first two times I saw it. By the third time, it rocketed up in my rankings. Now it's a top-5 on my list.

I used to dislike Skyfall and found it totally boring.
    Now I detest Skyfall and find it utterly bland.
  • edited November 2016 Posts: 4,622
    Re thread title:
    I've finally warmed to DC. Took me 4 movies.
    He did good job as Bond in SP.
    I still think Babs is useless. Didn't Cubby have any other kids?
    I used to dislike Skyfall and found it totally boring.
    Now I detest Skyfall and find it utterly bland.

:)) I can relate sort of . I don't know what I think of Skyfall. It's just a really dumb Bond movie, is maybe how I'd put it. Dumb in terms of I don't find any of it's thematic pretensions remotely interesting. Old dog bores me. Prefer Bond as prime-age young dog.
    Dumb in terms of why make such a movie?
    Good idea to watch Moonraker after a SF viewing.
    Popcorn goes down better. Excitement level goes up

All good again!
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    IGUANNA wrote: »
    I think Dalton's performance in TLD was far more nuanced and refined than his rougher more one-note LTK.
    I think Dalton's performance in TLD was far more nuanced and refined than his rougher more one-note LTK.

Has always been my thoughts exactly @IGUANNA

His performance in LTK you can see the acting. Fatal case of 'trying too hard'

When Dalton is on, he's great. But he does have a tendency to overact sometimes.
  • edited November 2016 Posts: 4,622
    echo wrote: »

Has always been my thoughts exactly @IGUANNA

His performance in LTK you can see the acting. Fatal case of 'trying too hard'

When Dalton is on, he's great. But he does have a tendency to overact sometimes.
    Yes, that's is the problem. Bond is best when relaxed and unflappable. Sure Bond can get a little emotional at times, but the charm of Connery was that he always pulled it back together in short order.
    Like when Kerim got killed in FRWL. He flashed emotion and then was all business.
    Got aggressive with Tania, then pulled it back when he realized she was a dupe.
    You always got the impression he was focused and not unduly affected by events.

As @Birdleson once said, Connery and Moore (the 2 longest serving Bond) are the only 2 actors to never have personal missions, go rogue, or let anything get under their skin.