Steven Spielberg says Bond series cannot afford him as director

JamesPageJamesPage Administrator, Moderator, Director
edited June 2011 in News Posts: 1,380
During an interview with JJ Abrams and Steven Spielberg about their new film "Super 8", Entertainment Weekly quizzed the Indiana Jones director about his early career goals.

EW: J.J. got his directorial start making two franchise movies, Mission: Impossible III and Star Trek. If you were starting out today, with a shot at directing a franchise, which one would it be?

Spielberg: When I first started making movies, the only franchise I cared about and wanted to be part of was James Bond. When I started out as a TV director, my pie-in-the-sky dream was to make a little movie that would get some notoriety, and then [the late Bond series producer] Cubby Broccoli would call me and ask me to direct the next James Bond picture. But I could never get Cubby Broccoli to hire me—and now, sadly, they can’t afford me.

Comments

"Can´t afford me" - I like that :-D .
  • To be honest, i wouldn't want a 'Steven Spielberg Bond', it just doesn't fit.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    They couldn't afford him? That's asuming they'd want him. Cubby wasn't interested in him back in the 1970's, and I suspect Babs isn't interested in hiring him in the 2010's.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited June 2011 Posts: 13,350
    If Spielberg wanted it that badly he'd accept whatever he was given and be happy just happy his name on the film and for being part of the Bond series. Now though I think other people than Spielberg would be better.
    Mr. Speilberg is a very fine director. He has brought the public ENORMOUS entertainment.
    But after all, his work is really a James Bond 007 License to Kill ersatz.
    The 007 Gendre is set in the anals of Film History and Legend.
    It is a PATENT.
    Everything else is Copyright infringement and Intellectual Property theft.
    In my humble opinion.
    James Bond will live as long as there are intelligent species on Earth to enjoy Fun, Excitement, Danger, and Bleached Blondes. \m/
  • KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    re: CoH_GHOST_007

"To be honest, i wouldn't want a 'Steven Spielberg Bond', it just doesn't fit."

After what he did with the Indiana Jones franchise, I wouldn't want him touching Bond either.
    is super 8 good? JJ is great director maybe he can direct 007 movie someday?but on second hand he is like 2nd spielberg and i think he isnt capable of directing action film he is more into some sci-fi movies with many twists after all i really liked lost
  • edited June 2011 Posts: 9
    What a.

Mod edit: Let's not use that language, shall we?
  • is super 8 good? JJ is great director maybe he can direct 007 movie someday?but on second hand he is like 2nd spielberg and i think he isnt capable of directing action film he is more into some sci-fi movies with many twists after all i really liked lost
    he did a great job with Mission:Impossible III, but i see your point
  • PrinceKamalKhanPrinceKamalKhan Monsoon Palace, Udaipur
    To be honest, i wouldn't want a 'Steven Spielberg Bond', it just doesn't fit.
    They couldn't afford him? That's asuming they'd want him. Cubby wasn't interested in him back in the 1970's, and I suspect Babs isn't interested in hiring him in the 2010's.
    Spielberg's salary considerations aside, I think there would probably be way too much fighting between him and EON for artistic and creative control over the film itself for it to be a successful partnership.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Spielberg is correct - EON will never afford an A-list director like him, or Scorsese, Eastwood, Coppola... Bond will never be directed by such huge stars.
  • St_GeorgeSt_George Shuttling Drax's lovelies to the space doughnut - happy 40th, MR!
    edited June 2011 Posts: 1,699
    Yes, he's right, they couldn't afford him. Which is partly why, after he made it big with Jaws in the mid-'70s, the producers were never particularly interested in him, I'd imagine.

The other major reason is because as you point out @PrinceKamalKhan, as a big-time, impressively creative director, he'd want more artistic control than they'd be willing to give him. The Bond series, certainly mostly for better than worse in my opinion, has always been dominated by its producers rather than its directors. The talents, vision and drive of Cubby Broccoli, Harry Saltzman, Barbara Broccoli and Michael G Wilson are why it's lasted as long as it has - and is still in existence today...
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited June 2011 Posts: 4,442
    Bring Spielberg out of dreaming: Bond can mabey afford him but don't whant him.

There are things i understand what there like from him, but not everthing of it i like to see in Bond. In specialy the freedom he have with Indiana Jones and his artistic ideas for Potter. I also don't whant Peter Jackson, George Lucas, Paul Greengrass (or any other Politic directer. This be why i whas not happy in the first place with Paul Haggis as writer) for Bond. Mabey if have been a starting directer, because he can mess less with the moost inportent Bond standards. Standards are more inportent then producers that proofs DAD and CR for a part. This same DAD/CR made that iam more worried about Spielberg and P&W then Spielberg and the producers. After CR i have mixed feelings or i whant to see another Bond from Martin Campbell or it should be another Goldeneye.
    Corregere.
    What we really need is ALL 23 films in BOND 23 (or 24 if you count NSNA). B-)
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    We are watching EON Bond films, not Spielberg's Bond film, or Coppola's Bond film... So yes, EON simply cannot afford to give such creative space for the director.
  • edited June 2011 Posts: 4,619
    Spielberg is correct - EON will never afford an A-list director like him, or Scorsese, Eastwood, Coppola... Bond will never be directed by such huge stars.
    Sam Mendes may not be a huge star but he definitely is a better director than Eastwood.
  • To get Spielberg, Eon would have to make him a partner. Eon could have gotten him say around 1971-74 (prior to Spielberg's first theatrical feature).
  • j7wildj7wild Suspended
    To get Spielberg, Eon would have to make him a partner. Eon could have gotten him say around 1971-74 (prior to Spielberg's first theatrical feature).
    his first Theatrical feature was The Sugarland Express with Goldie Hawn - to this day, it's still a Hell of a Movie!!

IF any of y'all haven't seen it, you should!!
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Corregere.
    Negative - Does not compute.

What are you talking about, sir? You want another film loaded with obvious references to the rest? Forget it. Nothing suites the 50th B-day of the cinematic Bond better than a darn good film, without additional silliness.

• NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    I would imagine Speilberg said this with a twinkle in his eye and a sly smile.
  • edited June 2011 Posts: 11
    Corregere.
    Did you see Die Another Day? Do you want to see it again? Of course nothing was included from NSNA because it's not even a Bond movie.

And if Spielberg is too expensive for Bond, if he actually wanted to do it could he not lower his price? Or is partnership his price?
  • At this point, not only would EON not want Spielberg, but I can guarantee that Spielberg wouldn't be interested in directing a future Bond film, even if it would put his name in the credits of two out of three of the top grossing film franchises in history. (He has been involved in three out of the top ten, so far: Star Wars, Jurassic Park, Indiana Jones.)

Most likely, Spielberg would get bored not having creative control over the movie, and negotiations would be a nightmare.
    I'm sure spielberg was joking.
    Spielberg is a brilliant storyteller I am quite sure that he doesn't need the 007 series to work. Once upon a time long ago when he was still a young director he might have fitted the series. These days I prefer his own output.
    I know he likes the 007 series and would have loved to have been part of it. And he can be critical of the series simply because who he is and the experience he has making films. I would always take time listening to his opions and don't dismiss them because my fanboyish side would disagree with him. What do I know really.
    I rather have a brilliant Indy 5 by Spielberg.
  • edited June 2011 Posts: 3
    U backdated hypo Mr. Speilberg!! we know why u made this remark to ignite fuel among BOND fans...ur "super 8"(kidS film) publicity GIMMICK isn't it ???? So just shut - up & get a life

Edit by Luds: Please refrain from using profanities.
  • edited June 2011 Posts: 5,767
    U backdated hypo Mr. Speilberg!! we know why u made this remark to ignite fuel among BOND fans...ur "super 8"(kidS film) publicity GIMMICK isn't it ???? So just shut - up & get a life

Edit by Luds: Please refrain from using profanities.
    With all due respect, if you think he did it to ignite fuel then why do you surrender and let yourself be ignited to write that post ;-) ?
  • j7wildj7wild Suspended
    I just watched Raiders of the Lost Ark DVD Special Features and Spielberg said Raiders was born out of his desire to direct a Globe Trotting Bond film.

Maybe EON can learn something from Raiders since they seemed to have partly lost their way in the past 10 years!!
  • Forget the money jibe - let's have a look at the creative side. SS has lost it; see last Indiana movie - awful. He's leeching off JJ for his ideas now. I think he should make a movie about how a powerful army state has created the world's biggest CC and built a huge wall to imprison the people there and treat them like animals.

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    NicNac wrote: »
    I would imagine Speilberg said this with a twinkle in his eye and a sly smile.

Me, too. Maybe he is available after all? I loved Crystal Skull. No idea why people are rambling about that one.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Refrigerators, ants, Shia.....