Hand-to-hand Combat Fights: The Best of Bond

Comments

• edited April 2012 Posts: 163
    007 vs Red Grant on the Orient Express.
    But I l think Lazeby is best in this department!
    For me....OHMSS & big George against Tracy's goon in the hotel room, when Bond walks in and says.... Tracy....tracy....... And bang, off we go!!! Great stuff, and all due to GL, the stunt arranger george leach i think!? and Peter hunt direction & John glens editing!!!
    Brill..... :-B
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    00Beast wrote:
    An under-rated fight but nonetheless spectacular for me is in the PTS of The World is not Enough when Bond disarms Lachaise's thugs in the bank. Very well coordinated, especially when Pierce uses one thug's pistol to shoot another, that has always been really cool to me!

Ah that' a good scene! So many that have been listed on this thread I agree with.
    Maybe a few of my favorites are Red Grant and Bond on the train, the stairwell fight in CR (really viscereal), the sword fight in DAD (highlight of the film for me), Bond fighting Jaws at the pyramids ... hmm, more for sure, but those for now.
    00Beast wrote:
    An under-rated fight but nonetheless spectacular for me is in the PTS of The World is not Enough when Bond disarms Lachaise's thugs in the bank. Very well coordinated, especially when Pierce uses one thug's pistol to shoot another, that has always been really cool to me!

Ah that' a good scene! So many that have been listed on this thread I agree with.
    Maybe a few of my favorites are Red Grant and Bond on the train, the stairwell fight in CR (really viscereal), the sword fight in DAD (highlight of the film for me), Bond fighting Jaws at the pyramids ... hmm, more for sure, but those for now.

Bond and Jaws at the Pyramids is kind of strange in some sense, and I say that because it's visually stunning and over-the-top epicness, but it's way too short, so I've never known if I should consider it a fight, you know what I mean?
    The best 8 minutes and 11 seconds of James Bond history, bar none!

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    edited May 2012 Posts: 40,474
    00Beast wrote:
    The best 8 minutes and 11 seconds of James Bond history, bar none!

Thank you, brother, both for the agreement and this beautiful embedded video!
    Connery and Robert Shaw on the train (From Russia With Love) is the best hand to hand combat fight of the franchise, most well known, most well recognized, most famous, Ok it doesn't last as long as some of the later battles but for James Bond tussles it's hard to top
    Connery and Robert Shaw on the train (From Russia With Love) is the best hand to hand combat fight of the franchise, most well known, most well recognized, most famous, Ok it doesn't last as long as some of the later battles but for James Bond tussles it's hard to top

It was also the first of its kind.. sort of. Apparently the filming process was so out of order, and out of so many spots the editor of the film (his name escapes me, sorry) had to go with faster cuts. To try and cover what he thought was 'bad' editing at the time, they over did the sound effects of glass shattering, etc. Yet, when the film premiered, it was well taken, and its a fact that that style of film making is responsible for almost every edgy action flick since.
    Can we include Toby Stephens and Brosnan in this from Die Another Day

Ok, it wasn't fists so to speak, but at least 'hand to hand combat' by way of swordfighting, I thought it was worth an inclusion. It's not a bad ten minute sequence in an otherwise piece of crap Bond release, Keeps the interest and one of Brosnan's best battles of his tenure
    Do fights not involving Bond count?

Necros' attack in the MI6 safehouse in TLD where the butler/agent interrupts him is pretty brutal. I remember wincing when he throws a full pan of water at him. It looked a heavy pan and its so fast. Very energetic fight.

But my top fight is Bond and Necros on the Antonov. When they slid off into space the entire audience gasped.
  • edited December 2012 Posts: 12,837
    actonsteve wrote:

Necros' attack in the MI6 safehouse in TLD where the butler/agent interrupts him is pretty brutal. I remember wincing when he throws a full pan of water at him. It looked a heavy pan and its so fast. Very energetic fight.

But my top fight is Bond and Necros on the Antonov. When they slid off into space the entire audience gasped.

That's my favourite too. I also like the GE fight and the fight with Oddjob.
  • edited May 2012 Posts: 4,762
    actonsteve wrote:

Of course, there aren't very many fights without 007, but you're right, Necros against Green Four is really great!

EDIT: Sorry, the video won't work! It was the fight mentioned above, a shame it won't play!
    Could we consider Xenia Onatopp and Admiral Farrell's encounter a "fight?" ;)
    Apparently its 10 years to the day since shooting began on the Jinx Miranda swordfight at the end of DAD

"I can read your every move"

"READ THIS...BITCH" <:-P

How about the ice rink in FYEO?
    As many complaints as DAD had, it did have some pretty entertaining fights: the Jinx/Miranda knife fight, the sword fight between Graves and Bond, the chase scene on the ice between Bond and Zao, along with the fight they share in Cuba. Granted, it came with a multitude of fights that I didn't particularly care for: the laser sequence, and the finale between Graves and Bond.
    Red Grant on the train.
    The Ice Rink in For Your Eyes Only is indeed worth a mention

I can't stand the damn awful fight sequence on the airplane in Die another Day, watching that is always painful. The ugly, abhorrent Berry character getting one over on the nice Frost girl and 'Read this Bitch', etc, just makes me slump in my seat. WHY OH WHY COULDN'T THEY HAVE KILLED OFF HER AND KEPT FROST AS THE GOOD GIRL AND LET HER LIVE, I'm not even usually watching this horrid movie by that time, but know the film back to front and inside out of course

Tee Hee and Moore on the train in LALD for sure if it hasn't been mentioned, better than Jaws and Moore in '77 for me

Creasy47 wrote:
    As many complaints as DAD had, it did have some pretty entertaining fights: the Jinx/Miranda knife fight, the sword fight between Graves and Bond, the chase scene on the ice between Bond and Zao, along with the fight they share in Cuba. Granted, it came with a multitude of fights that I didn't particularly care for: the laser sequence, and the finale between Graves and Bond.

I actually enjoyed the end duel between Bond and Graves somewhat, I loved how the plane was getting torn apart, with glass flying everywhere and the winds raging around them as the fought, I thought it was really Bondish. It's funny though, Graves actually put up a better fight than 007 there!
  • edited May 2012 Posts: 12,837
    00Beast wrote:
    Creasy47 wrote:

I actually enjoyed the end duel between Bond and Graves somewhat, I loved how the plane was getting torn apart, with glass flying everywhere and the winds raging around them as the fought, I thought it was really Bondish. It's funny though, Graves actually put up a better fight than 007 there!

But he had a robo suit! it was an unfair fight!
    00Beast wrote:
    [

i thought it was ten barrels of fermented shit.

Had Bond come to this under Brosnan? Some naff DC comics rubbish? And the dialogue and delivery but the pantomine shititude of Toby Stephens (an actor I have alot of respect for but not in this) was just stab a knife in your eye painful....

• CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    @actonsteve, I usually don't agree with your views on anything Brosnan related, but I have to give you that one. Way too campy and way too much CGI involved. I rather liked the music in that scene but overall it was a disappointing end to a disappointing movie.

@actonsteve, I usually don't agree with your views on anything Brosnan related, but I have to give you that one. Way too campy and way too much CGI involved. I rather liked the music in that scene but overall it was a disappointing end to a disappointing movie.

I rather enjoyed the ending, I thought Graves' death was memorable and Bondish. I didn't see too much of the camp with the finale battles of Bond vs. Graves, except maybe the electricity suit, which wasn't necessary. Still, it's climatic, and I haven't found it to be a problem compared to the other previous scenes like the windsurfing or any dialogue with Jinx or Zao.
    @OOBeast, I agree about the actual death scene itself, it was pretty cool. My hate for Graves was satisfied when he was shredded to mincemeat. And I agree it wasn't as bad as any of the previous scenes, but still...come on. The silly suit and the CGI kill it.
    @OOBeast, I agree about the actual death scene itself, it was pretty cool. My hate for Graves was satisfied when he was shredded to mincemeat. And I agree it wasn't as bad as any of the previous scenes, but still...come on. The silly suit and the CGI kill it.

Yes, the suit is stupid, as my friend and I call it his "nerdy video game suit." As for the CGI, it may be noticeable, but it didn't bother me too much. I was too foucused on the fight itself, which is actually pretty brutal in some parts, if you ask me.
    For me it is a draw between SC in FRWL when he and Grant rebuild a train compartment, really tense and to live and death AND SC in DAF when he has to fight for his life in that elevator which once again is really tense.

Both fights give you the feeling that 007 might lose, which I never had again in the later movies.
    SaintMark wrote:
    For me it is a draw between SC in FRWL when he and Grant rebuild a train compartment, really tense and to live and death AND SC in DAF when he has to fight for his life in that elevator which once again is really tense.

Both fights give you the feeling that 007 might lose, which I never had again in the later movies.

I'd say that 007 vs. 006 in GE and 007 vs. Obanno in CR were both life-and-death tense.
    00Beast wrote:
    SaintMark wrote:

I'd say that 007 vs. 006 in GE and 007 vs. Obanno in CR were both life-and-death tense.

I found that fight between 006 and 007 lasting too long or it started to annoy me, and the Obanno fight was in the intermesso in the cardmatch and that took some of the edge of since the cardgame was far more exciting than the fight.

All imho. O:-)

00Beast wrote:

Yes, the suit is stupid, as my friend and I call it his "nerdy video game suit." As for the CGI, it may be noticeable, but it didn't bother me too much. I was too foucused on the fight itself, which is actually pretty brutal in some parts, if you ask me.

Fair enough, I guess our tolerances to the CGI are what separates us!
    00Beast wrote:

Fair enough, I guess our tolerances to the CGI are what separates us!

Probably so! Kind of like the CGI in GoldenEye when Bond is trying to catch the falling plane in the PTS. It's blatantly obvious, but I don't care! (It also helps that GE is my #1 favorite)