Hand-to-hand Combat Fights: The Best of Bond

Comments

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @00Beast, please do, prepare to cringe. Always makes me hurt when I see it happen!
    @Creasy47: Hope I won't feel the pain!
  • j7wildj7wild Suspended
    Hahaha! Yeah, that was really funny, especially when Lieutinant Hip just drove off and left Bond stranded! I never did get that, I mean, there was clearly more room in the car for good old Roger.
    Bond let the girls in on one side of the car, slammed the door and he was going to go around to get in on the other side when he could had just gotten in from that same side too.

When Lt. Hip heard the door slam, he thought everyone was in the car already and drove off!!

I guess Bond was trying to be Gentlemanly!!
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Yeah, it's another moment that doesn't do it for me. After I've seen two schoolgirls battle it out with a group of thugs, in a Bond film mind you, I get a police Lt. in corporation with the British Secret Service be all clumsy and inefficient. If Fleming had still lived, this would have given him a fatal stroke for sure.
    Thanks for listing these out 00Beast. Here's my top ones:

1. 007 vs Blofeld on bobsleds
    2. 007 vs Peter Franks in the elevator
    3. 007 vs Red Grant on the Orient Express
    4. 007 vs Oddjob in Fort Knox
    DarthDimi said:
    Yeah, it's another moment that doesn't do it for me. After I've seen two schoolgirls battle it out with a group of thugs, in a Bond film mind you, I get a police Lt. in corporation with the British Secret Service be all clumsy and inefficient. If Fleming had still lived, this would have given him a fatal stroke for sure.

:-j Much agreed!

JBFan626 said:
    Thanks for listing these out 00Beast. Here's my top ones:

1. 007 vs Blofeld on bobsleds
    2. 007 vs Peter Franks in the elevator
    3. 007 vs Red Grant on the Orient Express
    4. 007 vs Oddjob in Fort Knox

No problem. Glad to do it! Also, I think that's the first mention of 007 vs. Blofeld on bobsleds that I've seen. Glad to know someone likes that one as much as I do!
    After watching QoS the other day, I've come to really enjoy the fight between Bond and Dominic Greene. It's quick moving, brutal, and I love all the explosions going off in the background to give it extra danger!
  • edited December 2011 Posts: 3,169
    I prefer the Bob Simmons-staged fights of TB (pre-credit sequence) and the elevator fight in DAF! Great stuff!

Zekidk wrote:
    I prefer the Bob Simmons-staged fights of TB (pre-credit sequence) and the elevator fight in DAF! Great stuff!

Oh yes! Those are classics for sure!
  • edited December 2011 Posts: 3,169
    Honrable mention goes to "the pyyyyyramids" :))

@Zekidk: I like how the music ends right after the fighting is done! That's a good rescore, although it's not actually a rescore since that fight had no music to begin with! Nevertheless, good find! I've always thought this was one of Moore's better fist fights.
  • edited December 2012 Posts: 12,837
    TLD had a ton of great fight scenes. There was the opening fight in the truck, the fight without bond when the MI6 agent fights necros, when bond fought the KGB general in the cells, and of course the final fight on the plane.

Bond vs trevalyn was cool too, and the final fight on the sumbarine against renard in TWINE was brutal. Any of the jaws fights in TSWLM, and the karate sequence in TMWTGG.

OHMSS had some great fights, I like the one in the reception. I like the opening bathroom fight in CR and the stairwell fight later on. I liked bond and mitchells fight in QOS, and the final fight with greene was OK but could've been alot better if greene was a more convincing villian.

i'm sure there will be an awesome fight with bond and bardem in skyfall
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited December 2011 Posts: 15,690
    DarthDimi wrote:

Please... one of my favorite scene in the entire series !! Love live TMWTGG !! :)>-
  • All the bonds have great fight scenes and i would like to use this thread to call a christmas game of soccer in the trenches between hostile moore craig fans etc all the best to all bond fans
    TLD had a ton of great fight scenes. There was the opening fight in the truck, the fight without bond when the MI6 agent fights necros, when bond fought the KGB general in the cells, and of course the final fight on the plane.

Bond vs trevalyn was cool too, and the final fight on the sumbarine against renard in TWINE was brutal. Any of the jaws fights in TSWLM, and the karate sequence in TMWTGG.

OHMSS had some great fights, I like the one in the reception. I like the opening bathroom fight in CR and the stairwell fight later on. I liked bond and mitchells fight in QOS, and the final fight with greene was OK but could've been alot better if greene was a more convincing villian.

im sure there will be an awesome fight with bond and bardem in skyfall

Nice list! The only one I disagree on is the fight with Renard at the end of TWINE. I didn't really think it was that great. In fact, I thought Brosnan looked really weak and lame during that fight, and Renard wasn't used to his full potential, considering he was supposed to be near invincible. Nevertheless, your opinion is great with me! That's just my two cents on that particular fight.
  • If you want to see some Robert Carlyle aggressiveness I'd suggest Trainspotting or something, rather than James Bond, Renard, despite a handful of half moments wasn't up to much and was on the lines of a brad whitaker or Julian Glover as far as menacing Bond adversaries go, I thought King sometimes deserved to die more than he did at times by the time of films end, often thought that, i.e. I was more disgusted by her actions perhaps
    If you want to see some Robert Carlyle aggressiveness I'd suggest Trainspotting or something, rather than James Bond, Renard, despite a handful of half moments wasn't up to much and was on the lines of a brad whitaker or Julian Glover as far as menacing Bond adversaries go, I thought King sometimes deserved to die more than he did at times by the time of films end, often thought that, i.e. I was more disgusted by her actions perhaps

Yeah, and I think that's probably what the directors had in mind when looking at both villains. I think that they meant for you to hate Elektra more than Renard because she murdered her own father and turned Renard into an even nastier human being than he was before, thus causing him to get that bullet in the brain, if I remember correctly.
  • I really did hate King more for her actions at the pipeline center when she turned heel and killed some operatives and took Dench hostage, I was quite surprised when Bond killed her in cold blood in Turkey, we had never seen that level of agression from Brosnan before at least with an opposite gender

'CALL 'EM OFF' ~X(

'Bang', Electra is slain

subsequent nonsense unsues with Richards and Brosnan, Fireworks, 'Christmas in Turkey', 'It's getter redder', 'I thought Christmas only comes once a year' etc

Cringeworthy :-L
  • 00Beast wrote:

im sure there will be an awesome fight with bond and bardem in skyfall

Nice list! The only one I disagree on is the fight with Renard at the end of TWINE. I didn't really think it was that great. In fact, I thought Brosnan looked really weak and lame during that fight, and Renard wasn't used to his full potential, considering he was supposed to be near invincible. Nevertheless, your opinion is great with me! That's just my two cents on that particular fight.

I think bond looking weak worked well because it showed that he was human and was having a hard time defeating renard. But you have your own opinion.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited December 2011 Posts: 15,690
    If you want to see some Robert Carlyle aggressiveness I'd suggest Trainspotting or something, rather than James Bond, Renard, despite a handful of half moments wasn't up to much and was on the lines of a brad whitaker or Julian Glover as far as menacing Bond adversaries go, I thought King sometimes deserved to die more than he did at times by the time of films end, often thought that, i.e. I was more disgusted by her actions perhaps

- Carlyle : 'Did you bring the cards?'
    - What?
    - Carlyle : The cards, the last thing I told you was to mind the cards!
    - Well, I've not brought them.
    - Carlyle : It's f***ing boring after a while without the cards.
    - I'm sorry.
    - Carlyle : Bit f***ing late, like.
    - Why didn't *you* bring them?
    - Carlyle : CAUSE I F***ING TOLD YOU TO BRING THEM, YOU DOSS C***!
    - ...Christ.

Carlyle : 'You sorry enough for being a fat f***ing c***? '
    Bond vs Red Grant on the Orient Express
    Bond vs Oddjob
    Bond vs Draco's men on the beach
    Bond vs Draco's man in Tracy's room
    Bond vs Chang in the glass museum
    Bond vs Necros in the cargo plane
    Bond vs Travelyan on the satellite
    Bond vs Graves in the swordfighting club
    Bond vs Mollaka on top of the crane
    Bond vs Obanno in the stairwell
    I really did hate King more for her actions at the pipeline center when she turned heel and killed some operatives and took Dench hostage, I was quite surprised when Bond killed her in cold blood in Turkey, we had never seen that level of agression from Brosnan before at least with an opposite gender

'CALL 'EM OFF' ~X(

'Bang', Electra is slain

subsequent nonsense unsues with Richards and Brosnan, Fireworks, 'Christmas in Turkey', 'It's getter redder', 'I thought Christmas only comes once a year' etc

Cringeworthy :-L

Yeah, sometimes I think the movie really ends right after Elektra is killed. The submarine gunfight is good, and then the stuff where Bond has to fool around with the water level is somewhat thrilling, but that fight with Renard is absolutely blah! It ruins the suspense build-up of the few minutes prior to the fight.

@thelivingroyale: Thanks, and I don't mean to change your opinion, I just wanted to comment on that particular fight as to what I thought.
  • edited December 2011 Posts: 2,341
    Interesting post. I will list some of my Hall of Fame fights:
    1. Versus Red Grant aboard the Orient Express
    2. Versus Chang in the glass museum in MR
    3. Versus Zorin atop the golden Gate Bridge in AVTAK (the look on Walken's face really sells the scene for me)
    4. Versus Union Corse gunmen on the beach in OHMSS

These were some of my favorite tense fights now for the light hearted stuff:
    1. versus Kidd and Wint aboard the ocean liner
    2. versus the martial arts school in TMWTGG
    3.Jaws aboard the train in TSWLM
    @OHMSS69: Good to see AVTAK's climax so high up on your list! A favorite of mine as well!
    The BEST fight as in
    Intensity= RG vs Bond
    Epic scope = Crane CR/GE Dish
    Believable choreography = stair way fight (best fight ever too)
    complete joke of a fight = karate school moore.
    bottom two worst fighting bonds:

5. Bosnan- saved from the bottom by the GE Bond vs 006 dish fight.
    6. Moore- for someone that served in the royal navy during war time you would think he could fight a little better, a non-wet paper sack with knock his bond out.
    Char35t wrote:
    The BEST fight as in
    Intensity= RG vs Bond
    Epic scope = Crane CR/GE Dish
    Believable choreography = stair way fight (best fight ever too)
    complete joke of a fight = karate school moore.
    bottom two worst fighting bonds:

5. Bosnan- saved from the bottom by the GE Bond vs 006 dish fight.
    6. Moore- for someone that served in the royal navy during war time you would think he could fight a little better, a non-wet paper sack with knock his bond out.

Nice way to catagorize those! As for the worst fighting Bonds, I'd say you got it right. Even though Brosnan and Moore are two of my favorites, their fight scenes were pretty lame at times. Then again, they had their share of good ones. The already mentioned fight with 006 and the fight with Carver's thugs on the printing press are two good ones for Brosnan. As for Moore, I really like the fight with Tee Hee at the end of LALD, the fight with the three thugs in Saida's dressing room in TMWTGG, the fight with Chang in MR, and the fight with Zorin at the end of AVTAK.
    These stand out the most to me, especially in intensity: Red Grant, Emilio Largo, Osato's driver, Hans, Draco's henchman in the hotel room, Blofeld on the bobsleds, Peter Franks, Tee Hee, Chula, Apollo Jet Pilot, Mufti thugs at OP's palace, Zorin, Necros and Green Four, Trevelyan, Stamper, Mr. Kil, Obanno, Slate, and Greene.
    I enjoyed the fight with Chang in the glass factory as I watched Moonraker last night. I used to find it pretty lame, but it was much better to me last night. I love the ending where Bond punches him three times in the face consecutively and then throws him through the clock face!
  • edited March 2012 Posts: 5,745
    Slate
    Trevelyan
    Haines' Boyd Guard (short and sweet)
    Sumo Wrestler (YOLT)
    Grant
    African Guy at Hotel (CR)
    Crane fight (CR)
    An under-rated fight but nonetheless spectacular for me is in the PTS of The World is not Enough when Bond disarms Lachaise's thugs in the bank. Very well coordinated, especially when Pierce uses one thug's pistol to shoot another, that has always been really cool to me!