It Seems There Are More QoS Appreciators Than Thought Before

Comments

Remington wrote: »
    Latin American setting, rogue agent and revenge plotline, fiery af finales in the desert, both written during writer's strikes.

They feel completely different but the similarities are there.

Oh there are similarities, but the feel is completely different. Both villains are miles apart in appearance, demeanor, etc. Their schemes are different. The atmosphere too. In fact, QOS reminds me more of Once Upon a Time in the West and Chinatown, at least when Bond is in America. Because the villain has the same scheme, but also because of the overall atmosphere.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Venutius wrote: »
    Literally every time I've watched QOS (and I've watched it a lot), I wish the plane sequence had been longer. Craig and Giannini are on absolutely top form, the late night stillness gives it a bit of breathing space and I wish I could just stay in that scene a few minutes longer. I need a QOS Redux, goddamnit!

I tell folks to look no further than that scene when they say QoS is all action and no substance. That's one of the best introspective looks we had with Bond throughout the entirety of Craig's time in the role.

I'd say it's THE best. Also, one of the few films to ever benefit from a writer's strike. It forced Craig & the director to come up with stuff on the hard fly. Innovative & creative.
  • chrisisall wrote: »
    Literally every time I've watched QOS (and I've watched it a lot), I wish the plane sequence had been longer. Craig and Giannini are on absolutely top form, the late night stillness gives it a bit of breathing space and I wish I could just stay in that scene a few minutes longer. I need a QOS Redux, goddamnit!

I tell folks to look no further than that scene when they say QoS is all action and no substance. That's one of the best introspective looks we had with Bond throughout the entirety of Craig's time in the role.

I'd say it's THE best. Also, one of the few films to ever benefit from a writer's strike. It forced Craig & the director to come up with stuff on the hard fly. Innovative & creative.

You've heard the documentaries etc....this was not a comfortable movie to make. And that was a plus given the nature of how Bond's state of being is.

The mood was rather somber on the set during many scenes. A couple of them in particular were Mathis' death and even in Pinewood studios for scenes like Kazaan, Russia.

This wasn't a fully staffed film crew wise. It really did feel lonely enough for David Arnold to pick up and exemplify the mood in post production filmed work as he was composing.

It pushed everyone to such a higher standard of working like it was an art house and independent film in a way that secured work for many people who were involved in QoS. If you don't believe me, just look at how many collaborations among QoS cast members there have been without DC necessarily....the Mission Impossible franchise....Olgya Kurylenko being cast in films like Oblivion with Tom Cruise and even November Man with Pierce Brosnan were not coincidental.
  • edited June 2023 Posts: 14,816
    Sometimes troubled productions make for better movies. I still think the movie has its flaws, but it's still a solid entry and we needed QOS at the time.

Oh and Delenda Carthago: a series of graphic novels set between QOS and SF would be great.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    It was an impossible task yet they delivered one of my all time favorite installments in the end. It's one of the most impressive movie-making feats for me.
  • Creasy47 wrote: »
    It was an impossible task yet they delivered one of my all time favorite installments in the end. It's one of the most impressive movie-making feats for me.

The producers need to be less worried about experimenting and need to take a huge step away from checking off boxes in this series' tropes.

The producers need to be less worried about experimenting and need to take a huge step away from checking off boxes in this series' tropes.

Box-checking/algorithm-safe attitudes in film and TV really kill my enjoyment anymore. I gave up on most Netflix action movies lately because it's the most generic, by-the-book stuff imaginable.

Of course, I'm not likening Bond to, say, that horrible The Gray Man but a little experimentation would be lovely to see. I hope this next era really shocks us and doesn't play it safe. I don't think we're returning to the formula-driven films of the past anytime soon, so if that's not the case, do something fresh, different, or at least not a copycat of the Craig era.
  • Junglist_1985Junglist_1985 Los Angeles
    edited June 2023 Posts: 1,006
    You all make a great point here… QOS was certainly a troubled production, forcing Craig and Forster to do quick rewrites on the fly, and I think it actually helps give it a unique flavor. They had to go with their gut vs. fine combing every decision. You know what else was a troubled production? FRWL. These films are my #4 and #2 respectively.

Also swinging back… the Mathis Italian villa scene flowing into the airplane moment is one of my favorite sequences in the series. It falls perfectly right in the middle of the film, and provides a crucial introspective moment.
    Writing stuff the day of/the day before and immediately bringing that script into reality helps make it so unique to me. It was devoid of endless rewrites, of too many hands in the cookie jar at once, and was made all the better as a result.

FRWL being a troubled production almost sounds like a made-up trivia bit simply because of how incredible that film is across the board.
    Writing stuff the day of/the day before and immediately bringing that script into reality helps make it so unique to me. It was devoid of endless rewrites, of too many hands in the cookie jar at once, and was made all the better as a result.

FRWL being a troubled production almost sounds like a made-up trivia bit simply because of how incredible that film is across the board.

And FRWL was one of the greatest movies in the franchise.
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    edited June 2023 Posts: 2,507
    I do love Daniel's performance in QOS, even though his CR and SF performances are my favourite, in QOS he just has that right level of almost unhinged in him that adds danger and excitement in every scene.

It's like you're waiting for him to snap, he's blinded by inconsolable rage
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    Yes, you know he's driven and unstoppable. QOS is CraigBond on all cylinders.
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    Yes, you know he's driven and unstoppable. QOS is CraigBond on all cylinders.

Absolutely mate. I love Skyfall but I do wish we'd had more this Bond from Daniel
    Yes, totally - he's absolutely at the top of his game, it's glorious stuff and we really did need to see more of that before SF. Like others have said, it's almost as if we missed out on CraigBond's prime years. I'll always wish we'd had more of this Bond.
    Maybe it's just me, but I always saw SP as Craig's Bond being in his prime. CR and QOS are his early years as a 00 but he's still a professional, y'know being a man in his 30s with a naval/secret service history. If anything it's the emotional lessons he learns, particularly from QOS, that shape him more in those films. SF marks the end of his early years and SP is a mid-career James Bond at his peak (he certainly manages to take out goons with ease starting in that film, and it's even a sort of thing that no ordinary SPECTRE henchman is able to take out Bond because he's too skilled). Craig's Bond just happens to retire at that point in this universe.

So in that sense I don't think we missed out. It's just that the style and even tone of the films slowly changed.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    007HallY wrote: »
    Maybe it's just me, but I always saw SP as Craig's Bond being in his prime. CR and QOS are his early years as a 00 but he's still a professional, y'know being a man in his 30s with a naval/secret service history. If anything it's the emotional lessons he learns, particularly from QOS, that shape him more in those films. SF marks the end of his early years and SP is a mid-career James Bond at his peak (he certainly manages to take out goons with ease starting in that film, and it's even a sort of thing that no ordinary SPECTRE henchman is able to take out Bond because he's too skilled). Craig's Bond just happens to retire at that point in this universe.

So in that sense I don't think we missed out. It's just that the style and even tone of the films slowly changed.

Nicely put. I can agree in ways.
  • We can still get a solid video game with voices of returning actors like Daniel Craig and Judi Dench made as a sequel to Bloodstone or closer sequel to QoS.

That would sell like hot cakes now especially since it wouldn't be releases alongside another Bond game as was done with GE007
    I still laugh at the thought of that bit in Bloodstone where he tosses the hard hat away just like Craig nonchalantly chucks things aside in the films!
  • edited June 2023 Posts: 1,280
    Which scene in QoS particularly made you miss a character the most whether or not they lived by the wnd of the movie?

• Venutius wrote: »
    I still laugh at the thought of that bit in Bloodstone where he tosses the hard hat away just like Craig nonchalantly chucks things aside in the films!

Bloodstone....the last best Bond video game.

I’ve been meaning to try Blood Stone for years now, and I actually own the game, but I just have never found the time to play it. I’m much more of an “EA Bond Era” Fan, and my automatic go-to is FRWL. But hearing word of mouth of Blood Stone, and having suffered through 007 Legends, I agree with you.

I’ve been meaning to try Blood Stone for years now, and I actually own the game, but I just have never found the time to play it. I’m much more of an “EA Bond Era” Fan, and my automatic go-to is FRWL. But hearing word of mouth of Blood Stone, and having suffered through 007 Legends, I agree with you.

007 Legends has no soul.
    It didn't feature Daniel Craig's voice.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.

Same - I've had Blood Stone on PC for ages but still haven't got around to loading it up. However, I've watched a lot of it on youtube over the years, and it gives off major QOS vibes in tone. For me, it balances the Craig era perfectly in two halves: a trio of early, hard-hitting adventures and then the latter three films. FRWL05 was great too.
    Which scene in QoS particularly made you miss a character the most whether or not they lived by the wnd of the movie?

"Miss" in what sense? It's an interesting question, not sure I'm fully understanding it though.

For example, when Mathis passes away so selflessly as Bond's friend.

When Camille gets dropped off at the train station in the middle of nowhere similar to the one in Spectre.

When Corrine finds out Yusef is a honey trap and wearily thanks a very emotionally-stormed Bond.

Bond and M talking surrounded by a cold world but keeping warm in their firm connection of professional loyalty that was underratedly needed for SF to make better sense later.

The lady who lost faceless loved one in the crowd at the dog race in Sienna.

"Miss" in what sense? It's an interesting question, not sure I'm fully understanding it though.

• [/quote]

"Miss" in what sense? It's an interesting question, not sure I'm fully understanding it though.[/quote]

[/quote]

When Camille gets dropped off at the train station in the middle of nowhere similar to the one in Spectre.

When Corrine finds out Yusef is a honey trap and wearily thanks a very emotionally-stormed Bond.

Bond and M talking surrounded by a cold world but keeping warm in their firm connection of professional loyalty that was underratedly needed for SF to make better sense later.

• mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    mattjoes wrote:
    Seems like you're having some problems with the quoting system. Let me help you, it
    's a piece of cake. You just add the text [ quote ] without spaces to start a quote, and
    mattjoes wrote:
    Seems like you're having some problems with the quoting system. Let me help you, it
    That might comes off a silly, but I found the receptionist in the Haitian hotel quite pretty. So I wished we'd seen more of her and for Bond to bed her.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    Ludovico wrote: »
    That might comes off a silly, but I found the receptionist in the Haitian hotel quite pretty. So I wished we'd seen more of her and for Bond to bed her.

Her eyesight wasn't too clever! Albeit, Bond and Slate had a slight resemblance...
    edited June 2023 Posts: 2,921
    I thought it was a pretty good gag, tbf - all blond white Westerners look the same to her, etc. A nice way to undermine an old racist trope.