Favorite Bond End Song

Comments

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    My favourites:

1. If You Asked Me To - Patti Labelle (just realized that this song was in this movie after rewatching it a few months ago. I have always known it as a Celine Dion song and Celine butchered it IMO. Labelle's version is soul perfection, as is Gladys Knight's opener)

2. Moonraker Disco Version - I truly prefer this to the opening credit version

3. The Living Daylights - If there was a man - great song that was used throughout the score of the movie

3. Adrenaline - SF Ending Credits - cyberfunk at its best

The worst without doubt is Eric Serra's shambles at the end of GE. I'm one of the few that did not mind the score, but that last song......nearly killed me.
    OF COURSE there's a disco version of Moonraker. Of course.
  • MooseWithFleasMooseWithFleas Philadelphia

1.) TLD - If There Was a Man - The Pretenders. Such a good Bondian song. It's pure 80's and I love it.
    2.) LTK - If You Asked Me To - Patti Labelle
    3.) MR - Moonraker Disco Version - Shirley Bassey. I love the original so much and the disco fits at the end. Certainly bias here, but it's my opinion of course!
    4.) TND - Surrender - K.D. Lang. Could make strong argument for this being the main Bond song for the film.
    5.) FRWL - From Russia with Love - Matt Munroe. Prefer the instrumental version honestly, but this is nice.
    6.) GE - The Experience of Love - Eric Serra. This one's a bit weird for me. I'll like it on a good day though.
    7.) DAD - Die Another Day Remix - Madonna. Meh.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited December 2014 Posts: 12,459
    My favorite is "Surrender"
    then closely followed by "If There Was a Man"

Then, it sort of goes:

"If You Asked Me To"
    "Moonraker" was okay and ...

and I guess the rest ... from what I can remember just now ...

I cannot for the life of me remember the ending song to For Your Eyes Only.
    I do pretty much hate the chorus singing "Nobody Does It better" at the end of TSWLM, which is a shame as it is my favorite Bond theme song, just a great song.

• MurdockMurdock The minus world
    @4EverBonded, FYEO played a recap of Easton's song over the end credits. :p
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited December 2014 Posts: 12,459
    Thanks, @Murdock. :)
    You know I think that song was lovely when interwoven into the score, which it was a bit. If I could get rid of the funky/clunky disco-esque edges to that score I would.
    1. Surrender- What an injustice to not have this slice of pure Bond as the title song!
    2. From Russia with Love- This is such a moving tune; I prefer it so much more than the instrumental opening theme.
    3. Moonraker (Disco Version)- I highly enjoy both Moonraker songs, but the disco version is simply chock-full of toe-tapping delight! It's one of the only reasons for watching Moonraker start to finish, if we're being real here.
    4. The Experience of Love- There's not much to it, but I always thought it fit the mood for the ending of GE rather nicely. It's strangely haunting and melancholy, which I've thought is probably how Bond feels at the end of GE, after killing Alec.
    5. If There Was a Man- Admittedly, I think I've only listened to this tune fully through the credits once, but still, it's a fairly neat ending for TLD.
    6. If You Asked Me To- This one is sort of a throw-away, but not too terribly awful; it's just not too terribly great either, hahaha.
    7. Die Another Day (re-mix)- Explanation needed?
    I think this is far better than TEOL.

Lovely song, and rightly at the end of the film.
  • BAIN123 wrote: »
    I think this is far better than TEOL.

Lovely song, and rightly at the end of the film.

Like I said last year I really wouldn't mind if they brought back the relatively short-lived "outro" theme to end a Bond film. I felt that each of them complimented their film in some way and gave a greater sense of closer and independence to each film. The same way the film's intro theme grandly opens up the movie the outro theme would close it. All 4 in a smaller way distinguished TLD, LTK, GE, and TND as movies and not just Bond movies.
    I don't know if this is a tangent, but I don't understand why the end title music from both QOS and SF are not on the soundtrack CD's.
  • brinkeguthriebrinkeguthrie Piz Gloria
    Surrender, not even close.
  • edited December 2014 Posts: 6,844
    1. Surrender
    2. From Russia with Love
    3. If You Asked Me To
    4. If There Was A Man
    5. Moonraker (Disco Version)
    6. Die Another Day (Remix)
    7. The Experience of Love

And though it's not a song with lyrics, I do love Four Tet's "Crawl, End Crawl" for QOS.
    Surrender without a doubt for me!!! Excellent song!
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    =bg= wrote: »
    Surrender, not even close.

Nail hit firmly on the head =bg=.

I would just add the same sentiment for Experience of Love in last place. Like listening to paint dry.

• I only just found out today that the trend of the Bond outro song was going to continue with TWINE. David Arnold originally intended to use "Only Myself to Blame" by Scott Walker to play over the end credits. But the producers opted to use that techno version of the Bond theme. I'm not crazy about the song. It would've probably ranked low on my list.

• edited December 2014 Posts: 11,189
    That song should be sung by Lee Tamahori at the end of DAD

:p

I don't really like this blokes voice. Sounds cheesy/film-noir-ish. You can see Humphrey Bogart walking in the rain to it.
  • BAIN123 wrote: »

:p

I don't really like this blokes voice. Sounds cheesy/film-noir-ish. You can see Humphrey Bogart walking in the rain to it.

Yeah I thought the same. The background music sounds kinda Bondian but as you said the voice is completely off.
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    Hmm.. I can see why they chose another song. It doesn't really fit. I don't mind the jazz music but I'm not a fan of his voice either.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    BAIN123 wrote: »

=)) :))
    1. Surrender- K. D. Lang
    2. From Russia With Love- Matt Munro
    3. If There Was A Man- Prettenders
    4. Crawl, End Crawl- Four Tet ( Quantum of Solace )
    Not mentioned before, but I like this instrumental piece of music. A fitting end to QoS
    5. Disco Moonraker- Shirley Bassey
    6. If You Ask Me To- Patty La Belle
    6-7. Die Another Day- Madonna & Experience Of Love- Eric Serra
    Blasphemy here I guess but I don't 'get' Surrender. It sounds like it's heart is in the right place and it really is trying to do the job in the right way but doesn't deliver it for me unfortunately. It seems to meander about and be a bit wooly.

My No.1 = I adore the whole TLD score and the icing on the top is Where has everybody gone. There's such a menace and movement to it with great gusto.

Second would be Patti Labelle's if You Asked Me To in LTK. A totally different song but it's one I sometimes catch myself randomly singing to myself without realising.

Not really an end credit but it actually is - I will never forget AVTAK with the Golden Gate bridge from above.

Honorable mentions to Disco Bassey (another great soundtrack) and the seemingly ignored/forgotten super laid back and sexy TSWLM ending!!
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I don t get the praise for Surrender either. Sounds like Eurovision to me.
  • edited July 2015 Posts: 11,189
    Don't quite a few of the Bond songs have that "poppy" sound to them though?

I really like the AVTAK song but I wouldn't exactly describe it as a multi-layered piece of music in terms of it's lyrics or it's "sound".

Frankly I could see both TMWTGG or AVTAK on Eurovision.

• BrilliantANDbogusBrilliantANDbogus Location of Junkanoo
    If There Was A Man.

Loving this song, plenty of pomp and ceremony and a waltz like theme. When I listen to it, I can just see Timothy Dalton at the fairground and in a good relationship. Very romantic, and in my guess would if I had been Cubby Broccoli would have used it or "Where has Everybody Gone?" instead of the wet and wimpy "a-ha" song. But money talks... ;)

Gene
    Watching GE again last night I realised how dated TEOL sounds now. While tracks like "If there was a man" still sound romantic, EOL sounds like an utterly bland piece of 90s Euro-pop.
  • BrilliantANDbogusBrilliantANDbogus Location of Junkanoo
    "Experience of Love" I swore for YEARS was sung by a noted transvestite performer, only I couldn't the name remember the name. Only years later did I find out it was Eric Serra himself! A shocker of a song but it ends Goldeneye on a relaxing note.
    It does actually sound a bit like a not-that-good Boy George song.
    For me

1. Surrender by K.D. Lang (TND)
    2. From Russia with Love by Matt Munroe (FRWL)
    3. Moonraker Disco Version (MR)
    4. If there was a man by The Pretenders (TLD)
    5. If you asked me to by Pattie LaBelle (LTK)
    6. The Experience of Love by Eric Serra (GE)
    7. Die Another Day Remix by Madonna (DAD)
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    edited October 2015 Posts: 9,020
    1. Moonraker (uptempo version)

two lightyears....

2. Goodnight, Goodnight - Lulu (YES!! you better believe it)

one lightyear...

3. If There Was A Man - Pretenders
    4. If You Ask Me To - Patti LaBelle
    5. Surrender - k.d.lang

ten million lightyears...

6. The Experience Of Love (shudder...)
    7. Only Myself To Blame (shudder...)

Of course I count From Russia With Love and We Have All The Time In The World not as end songs but proper theme songs, even if that may technically incorrect.
    If I had to, Armstrong and Munro would tie in at No 1 by 12,524 lightyears...

Also I absolutely love Oakenfold's take on the James Bond theme which is played at the end of DAD, but it's a remake so I don't count it.
    If You Asked Me To.

In fact the two Dalton closers are nicely in line with the way both films resolve things between Bond and the Bond girl on a more romantic level than we had with Moore and then Brosnan.
    andmcit wrote: »
    Blasphemy here I guess but I don't 'get' Surrender. It sounds like it's heart is in the right place and it really is trying to do the job in the right way but doesn't deliver it for me unfortunately. It seems to meander about and be a bit wooly.

Same here. I tend to roll my eyes whenever the umpteenth person claims it was robbed of the main title and how 'bondian' it is.

The 60s\70s Barry themes like GF, YOLT and DAF were indeed great but we didn't need to hear them regurgitated by Arnold in the 90s. I equally found TWINE to be dull too. For all its sins at least DAD strove to be different (and pissed off Arnold in the process) in the fashion that LALD and AVTAK once were.
    I don t get the praise for Surrender either. Sounds like Eurovision to me.

Indeed. If you didn't find Surrender credible before you certainly wouldn't after Conchita's winning Rise Like A Pheonix.