Bond film cross-reference table

Comments

• TokolosheTokoloshe Under your bed
    A few more FRWL connections:

TB - Martine Beswick

TSWLM - Use of a periscope

TWINE - A villain shoots someone who is about to kill Bond
  • edited February 2014 Posts: 1,009
    I have made a comparison with one of the two non-EON films. Is it better to drop these or can we just note them is non-canonical comparisons?

DAF - Rats, old boy.

CR- Bond blows away an Embassy (Joseph E. Levine would have gotten quite pissed off IMHO)

• I was thinking fights in an elevator, namely Diamonds are Forever and QOS

Maybe could include Goldeneye and Skyfall as Bond had battles in the vicinity of one ? Must be another example somewhere, possibly Goldfinger, but don't think the latter really counts ? Trying to get to grips with the subject matter that's all
    Birdleson, please keep it to features that are unique to TWO films. We are linking FRWL at the moment.
    I'll post a summary of what we have so far after the next one on the list.

Unique connections between GOLDFINGER and one other film, please!

OHMSS - Janitor whistles GF theme tune

DAF - Bond introduced to smuggling issue at meeting with government expert.

QOS - Girl suffocated in a substance and left dead on a bed

AVTAK : Horse racing (both Goldfinger and Zorin breed horses) ; a Rolls Royce has an important part in each movie (instead of just being a transportation vehicle).

YOLT : Communist China is "the man behind the man"

TMWTGG : Both villains have a "golden gun"
    The GF and AVTAK connections are huge. The villain seeks to destroy a major US supply of something in order to increase the value of his own holdings. He has a board meeting to outline his plans and one dissenter is killed.
  • edited February 2014 Posts: 14,844
    Tokoloshe wrote:
    The GF and AVTAK connections are huge. The villain seeks to destroy a major US supply of something in order to increase the value of his own holdings. He has a board meeting to outline his plans and one dissenter is killed.

And complete board is then wipe out. And the demonstration Zorin does is very similar to Goldfinger's. AND Pussy Galore and May Day have the same story arch. I think it might be easier to find things between GF and AVTAK that do not connect.
  • edited February 2014 Posts: 6,396
    OP - Villain intends to detonate an atomic bomb.
    OHMSS - Bond makes love in a barn.
    There is no evidence to support Bambi and Thumper being at it like rabbits.
    There is no evidence, but it does fit both the general tone of the movie regarding homosexuals. The scene irks me because Bond seems to darn pathetic in it. And it may be off topic, but I find Rosa Klebb far more threatening than Bambi, Thumper, Wint or Kitt.
  • Ludovico wrote:
    There is no evidence, but it does fit both the general tone of the movie regarding homosexuals. The scene irks me because Bond seems to darn pathetic in it. And it may be off topic, but I find Rosa Klebb far more threatening than Bambi, Thumper, Wint or Kitt.

Haha I find Rosa Klebb to be more threatening than most Bond villains period.
    Ludovico wrote:

That too. As a child I didn't want to watch the movie, I thought she was too scary.
  • edited February 2014 Posts: 5,826
    DAD : Ejector seat is used

TB : Bulletproof shield is raised

SF : Machine guns are fired (with better results this time).
    I'll post a recap shortly but meanwhile...

Unique on-screen connections between THUNDERBALL and later films in the series, please. To start with...

DAF - A villain uses plastic surgery to impersonate someone else (I don't see DAD's 'gene therapy', or whatever nonsense it was, as being the same thing).

CR - Bond in Nassau.

CR - A villain with one eye (Largo/Gettler).
    AVTAK - Bond discards his scuba tank to escape death.

LTK - The villain feeds someone to a shark.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Ludovico wrote:
    Ludovico wrote:

That too. As a child I didn't want to watch the movie, I thought she was too scary.

That's rather cute - I can only imagine your reaction on reading the novel!!!
    DAD : the rebreather.

MR : Carnival.

AVTAK : Bond in France. French castle being used in a scene (in France. MR's had been moved to California)
  • edited February 2014 Posts: 6,396
    DAD - Bond uses the jetpack (albeit very briefly).

FRWL - Blofeld is heard but not seen.

FYEO - The villain is killed by a wound to the back caused by Bond's ally.
    Good stuff so far although a couple are not unique. Stromberg also feeds someone to a shark and Bond doesn't kill Kristatos or Dominic Greene.
    Tokoloshe wrote:
    Good stuff so far although a couple are not unique. Stromberg also feeds someone to a shark and Bond doesn't kill Kristatos or Dominic Greene.

I'd forgotten about Stromberg.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Tokoloshe wrote:

I'd forgotten about Stromberg.

The problem is that most people do more generally.

A summary of what we have so far.

DR NO:

FRWL - Sylvia Trench.

TB - Leiter follows Bond in early scenes before introducing himself. Use of a Geiger counter.

YOLT - Villain's scheme involves sabotage of NASA. Western actors portray Oriental characters.

OHMSS - Broccoli and Saltzman's credits are inserted into the gunbarrel sequence. 'Underneath the Mango Tree'.

LALD - Bond in Jamaica. Quarrel / Quarrel Jr. Main villain is a doctor. A villain meets his death through being hindered by his mechanical hands.

TMWTGG - Use of / reference to using cushions in a bed as a fake body.

TWINE - Henchman/woman commits suicide rather than be captured.

DAD - Bond girl emerges from the sea in a bikini.

QOS - Greene's explanation that Quantum make deals with anyone echoes No's explanation of SPECTRE's ethic ("east, west, just points of the compass")

SF - Visual in-joke of a stolen painting.

FROM RUSSIA WITH LOVE:

TB - Anthony Dawson portrays an unseen Blofeld. Martine Beswick.

YOLT - Assassin training scene.

OHMSS - A game of chess in progress.

TSWLM - Use of a periscope.

DAF - Rats on screen. Blofeld's cat eats a meal.

OP - Villain is a traitor to USSR. Use of an advertising billboard as an entrance/exit.

TWINE - Villain deliberately shoots someone who is about to kill Bond.

CR - Bond blows up an embassy.

GOLDFINGER:

TB - Aston Martin DB5's bullet-proof shield is raised.

OHMSS - Janitor whistles GF theme tune.

DAF - Bond introduced to smuggling issue at meeting with government expert.

YOLT - Communist China are behind the villain's plot.

OHMSS - Bond makes love in a barn.

TMWTGG - Villain has a golden gun.

OP - Henchman intimidates Bond by crushing a game piece in his hand.

AVTAK - Villain breeds horses. A Rolls Royce plays a part in the plot. Villain seeks to destroy a major US supply of something in order to increase the value of his own holdings. He has a board meeting to outline his plans using a hidden map and one dissenter is killed.

DAD - Bond/ally strapped to a table and threatened to be cut with laser.

QOS - Girl suffocated in a substance and left dead on a bed

SF - Aston Martin DB5 ejector seat

THUNDERBALL:

DAF - Use of plastic surgery by a villain.

AVTAK - Bond discards his scuba tank to escape death.

FYEO - The villain is killed by a wound to the back by Bond's ally.

DAD - Rebreather device and jetpack.

CR - Bond in Nassau. A villain has only one eye.

--

Are there more connections for Thunderball?
    LTK - Bond is discovered by underwater CCTV.
    @Tokoloshe- There are more connections for Thunderball: GE-Villain lookalike impersonates a military officer in order to steal a weapon AND said officer is killed by a femme fatale.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    'Villain lookalike impersonates a military officer in order to steal a weapon' could be turned around a bit to get a reference to Octopussy.
    edited February 2014 Posts: 2,667
    Looks like Thunderball is the least 'connected' film so far.

Moving on then, let's try unique connections for YOU ONLY LIVE TWICE and later films in the series...

DAF - Charles Gray

CR - Tsai Chin
  • edited February 2014 Posts: 1,009
    Quick two of Thunderball and going on YOLT:

OHMSS: Bond experiences a moment of genuine fear. He feels lost and helpless (in Moonraker he's saved by his own reflexes and memory. I won't count this one) but a woman saves him from impeding doom (Patricia and Tracy).

DAF: Sean Connery does not smoke on screen.

And now for YOLT:

GF: Connery fights a professional wrestler (Harold Sakata there, Peter Maivia here)

DAF: Bond goes to Japan

TMWTGG: Sumo wrestlers

SF: Bond travels by subway/underground/metro system.
    I think the 'genuine fear' thing is far too subjective, one could argue the same about several other moments (e.g. being poisoned in CR, where he is also saved by the girl).

The only Japan reference I can think of in DAF is the very first scene in which a hood crashes through a Japanese-style door. If that's what you mean, is there any actual confirmation of the location?
    edited February 2014 Posts: 2,667
    OK yep got it now, re Japan.