Sochi 2014 Winter Olympics

Comments

• DiscoVolanteDiscoVolante Stockholm, Sweden
    Stable win against the Czechs in the ice hockey opening :)>-
  • edited February 2014 Posts: 1,009
    Congrats, Swedes. I was watching my fav football (soccer) team reach the Cup finals and missed the hockey matches.
    GB on course for our first Gold medal of the games. Lizze Yarnold holds a 0.44 second lead going into the final two runs in the Skeleton tomorrow.

James Woods currently sits 4th in the Ski Slopestyle after the first run.
    GB on course for our first Gold medal of the games. Lizze Yarnold holds a 0.44 second lead going into the final two runs in the Skeleton tomorrow.

That can't be his real name.

That can't be his real name.

:D
  • I couldn't care less and am looking forward to it being over.
    ^ Valuable post.

Another silver in cross country, the gold seems hard to get this time around :P
  • edited February 2014 Posts: 6,396
    Elise Christie looked to have won Silver from GB only to be penalised for causing a crash which took out 2 other skaters. Whilst many feel she has been robbed, I am reluctant to feel that she was right to be penalised.

Still, it was her weakest event, which she was using as a training run and never expected to get to the final. She should take a lot of confidence from this going into the 1000m and 1500m next week.

Lizzy goes for Skeleton gold tomorrow and the Curling teams are starting to look good now.
  • Artemis81Artemis81 In Christmas Land
    edited February 2014 Posts: 543
    Anyone watch the pairs figure skating last night? Even though the Russian pair were tough to beat, the American couple skated to an orchestral version of Skyfall, followed by the James Bond theme, an orchestral version of Goldfinger (I believe) and finished it off with Skyfall. It was good, the man even wore a fake holster.
  • edited February 2014 Posts: 7,653
    Ladies speedskating 1000 metres: THE NETHERLANDS SILVER & BRONZE.

This brings the total so far on 12 medals for the Netherlands, with still half of the distances to come, The record medalscore in one sport is 13.............. :!!

Wel done Germany on the Luge all 4 events GOLD, that is pretty impressive.
  • edited February 2014 Posts: 4,622
    Artemis81 wrote:
    Anyone watch the pairs figure skating last night? Even though the Russian pair were tough to beat, the American couple skate to an orchestral version of Skyfall, followed by the James Bond theme, an orchestral version of Goldfinger (I believe) and finished it off with Skyfall. It was good, the man even wore a fake holster.
    Very good. Bravo to the American couple. James Bond themed skating is to be applauded.

"SOCHI, Russia -- With all the history, tensions and rivalry between the U.S. and the former Soviet Union during the Cold War, the choice of music in the pairs free program was somewhat ironic.
    The American pair of Marissa Castelli and Simon Shnapir skated to the ultimate spy music: "Skyfall'' and the James Bond theme. "
    http://espn.go.com/olympics/winter/2014/figureskating/story/_/id/10445236/2014-sochi-olympics-olympic-spirit-overshadows-politics-castelli-shnapir

Gold medal for best choice of music goes to the American pair of Castelli and Shnapir
    oly_g_castelli_kh_600x400.jpg

@timmer I do recall that the 007 were forbidden in the USSR, but very popular in an underground of way. EON did go out of its way to never blaim the USSR but rogue Soviet military personel.
    SO playing Bondmusic was not all that daring. But nice too hear nonetheless.
  • edited February 2014 Posts: 1,009
    SaintMark wrote:
    @timmer I do recall that the 007 were forbidden in the USSR, but very popular in an underground of way. EON did go out of its way to never blaim the USSR but rogue Soviet military personel.

I remember watchingsome other Russian skaters and gymnasts using Bond music while performing their routines.

And now for a bit of trivia: TMWTGG was actually screened at the Kremlin for Leonid Breznev and some officials. An amused KGB high-rank officer commented they didn't train Scaramanga very well.

Lovely Lizzy brings home the GOLD for GB :-)

WooHoo! <:-P ^:)^
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    We actually got one?! :D
    Samuel001 wrote:

It's only our 10th ever Gold medal at the Winter Olympics.

Happy days! :-)
    Samuel001 wrote:

But the story of the silver medal is true American poetry, she performed well were the favorites did not.

Congrats GB & US.

SaintMark wrote:
    No I don't think it was terribly daring either. That's just what the ESPN writer wrote.
    ==
    Big Canada Great Britain curling match coming up Saturday!!!
    double post.
    The Netherlands are doing fairly well these games:

Saturday: 1500 mr speedskating for men SILVER at 0,003 seconds being nr. 1
    a BRONZE at shorttrack

Sunday: 1500 mr speedskating for women - GOLD-SILVER-BRONZE, oh yes mr 4 also Dutch.

which brings our current amount at an amazing 17 medals, which is even by Dutch standards kinda nuts.

For the speedskating 10.000 meters already iceskaters are pulling out of competition as they know that the undisputed king at this distance can only lose this race due to his own mistakes, which happened 4 years ago and he is really peaked to correct his mistake, of course the Svensational Kramer.
  • MrBondMrBond Station S
    Sweden took two golds in two days in the stafette and thereby beat the favourites!

The euphoria was and is enourmous here because we haven't won in that branch since the 60's!
    MrBond wrote:
    Sweden took two golds in two days in the stafette and thereby beat the favourites!

The euphoria was and is enourmous here because we haven't won in that branch since the 60's!

Congratulations, nice too see the Swedes doing well.

SaintMark wrote:
    MrBond wrote:

Good days for sure! Especially beating our constant rival Norway twice ;)

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    SaintMark wrote:
    MrBond wrote:

Good days for sure! Especially beating our constant rival Norway twice ;)

Happy for you. Grattis!
    What a schock. Russia took Gold in the Figure Skating team event last weekend and now the Canadian pair got jobbed Saturday in the ice dance with some "questionable judging", setting up a gold for the American pair today.
    Amazing. Played out exactly how French media L'Equipe quoting a Russian coach, said it would play out two weeks ago.
    ie the American judges help the Russians win the Team event. In return the Russian judges screw over Canada's defending Olympic Gold medal winners Virtue and Moir, to ensure American Gold in the ice dance.

What a racket!

There is a special level of hell I think set aside for figure skating judges. I'm sure Dante covered it in The Inferno.
    Today is SVENday, will he make up for his horrible failure 4 years ago when the defending gold-medalist got a present??

The Russians & Norwegians pulled out of the 10.000 metres speedskating because they saw no chances of winning, the chickens.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited February 2014 Posts: 12,459
    SaintMark wrote:
    Today is SVENday, will he make up for his horrible failure 4 years ago when the defending gold-medalist got a present??

The Russians & Norwegians pulled out of the 10.000 metres speedskating because they saw no chances of winning, the chickens.

That was their stated reason for not competing? ;) Oh my.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Let the Russians and Norwegians compete on their own track and call it Chicken Run. Guaranteed a silver at least.
    A big upset in the speedskating, the one expected to win did not win he still got silver though. Sven Kramer did not get his so much wanted medal because his Frisian friend decided to improve on the Olympic record.

The Netherlands 10.000 meters speedskating GOLD-SILVER-BRONZE, the distance between the nr. 1 and number 4 was 28 seconds, OUR FOURTH SWEEP!!

With our total at 20 medals we are mighty blessed, two more will see our best total ever doubled with this olympic games.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/02/18/jorrit-bergsma-dutch-speedskating_n_4808895.html
    edited February 2014 Posts: 1,347
    Bring on the quarters tomorrow of the most exciting Olympic tournament, meaning ice hockey!

SWDN0001.GIF Sweden vs. Slovenia SLVA0001.GIF

FINL0001.GIF Finland vs. Russia RUSS0001.GIF

CANA0001.GIF Canada vs. Latvia LATV0001.GIF

UNST0001.GIF USA vs. Czech Republic CZEC0001.GIF

I'm quite impressed Latvia beat Switzerland. What's your predictions? Sweden and Canada must advance, can't see anything else happen. The other games are more tight though, but I think Russia and USA.