Sochi 2014 Winter Olympics

DiscoVolanteDiscoVolante Stockholm, Sweden
edited February 2014 in General Discussion Posts: 1,347
how_to_watch_sochi_2014_stream_online.jpg
So, the opening ceremony is over, "Let the sport commence!"

I personally mostly look forward to the hockey tournament (I have a feeling we'll win this year) and biathlon, as well as alpine and cross-country skiing.

Disclaimer: The choice of Russia as host has been heavily debated lately as you know, mostly due to human rights arguments and its anti-gay laws, but I won't let this thread turn into a political debate. The purpose of this thread is to share the joy of Olympic games, and discuss the disciplines and results.

Comments

I'll take this chance to post some of my fav clips from previous games.

This epic fail from Lindsay Jacobellis, who famously managed to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory after her attempt at showboating goes spectacularly wrong:

Australian Steven Bradbury claiming the most unlikely gold medal in the short track speed skating:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/winter-olympics/25144675

And finally, Torvill & Dean being robbed of gold in 1994 ;-)

• DiscoVolanteDiscoVolante Stockholm, Sweden
    Thanks for posting some "classics" Willy :P

That's one part of the fun, the unexpected turns and slams
    I love when the commentator shouts "FRIEDEN!". Always reminds me of Braveheart! ;-)
    Hehe. I think I watched that final actually. Styling off with a grab is dangerous ;)
    Coincidentally just watched the same clips. Jacobellis is a great moment, though not for her.

We need some alpine in b24
    :)>- :!! O:-) :D

5000 meters speedskating THE NETHERLANDS --- GOLD, SILVER & BRONZE

BELGIUM in the 4th place.
    Hehe, your whole Olympic team are skaters, right? ;)

• MartinBondMartinBond Trying not to muck it up again
    It's about the only thing we' re properly good at ;)
    I watched it during my lunch break at work, feels good to be Dutch right now :)
    Yes the Dutch dominate speedskating for sure :) In the same way the Norwegians dominate cross country skiing / biathlon.. Oh well, I'm happy our super cute Kalla got a silver at least

1011753_10151884310216053_807656757_n.jpg
    I'll be happy if the GB win just one medal (Gold, preferably) :-)
    Looking forward to the Ice Hockey!!! b-(
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited February 2014 Posts: 17,828
    For a Bondian link to the Winter Olympics 2014 please see the article posted below by Edward Biddulph of the incomparable James Bond Memes blog:

http://jamesbondmemes.blogspot.co.uk/2014/02/james-bonds-winter-olympics.html

The website has many other articles of interest to the James Bond fan, too.

http://jamesbondmemes.blogspot.co.uk
    Hehe, your whole Olympic team are skaters, right? ;)

Nope, we have some snowboarders as well, one of them won Gold 4 years ago. And I would almost forget our Bobsled team.

But yes we are bound to get a few more medals speedskating, Svensational Kramer has not finished and Wust has yet to begin.
  • edited February 2014 Posts: 6,396
    GB win their first medal of these games. Jenny Jones secures Bronze in the Snowboarding Slopestyle. And the best thing is, she's a Bristol lass.

Get in me babber. I salute you! ^:)^ =D>
  • MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.
    edited February 2014 Posts: 3,144
    I've just seen her on the beeb being interviewed they surprised her with her Mum & Dad
    Back home for tea and medals then. I wonder if she will get an open top bus?
    It's a shame we don't get more snow on Park Street !
  • edited February 2014 Posts: 6,396
    Our first ever Olympic medal on snow. She should get a hero's reception when she returns back home. Fantastic stuff.

I'm well stoked! ;-)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/winter-olympics/26106600
  • Anyone know when ice hockey starts ?
    edited February 2014 Posts: 1,347
    Coldfinger wrote:
    Anyone know when ice hockey starts ?
    February 12th, first games Czech Republic - Sweden & Latvia - Switzerland.
  • edited February 2014 Posts: 7,653
    And Wüst did do her job and brought the 2nd speedskating GOLD medal, being a favorite does not give any assurance you actually win the medal but she did her thing and did it convincing.
    We are now level with the US in speedskating goldmedals, we both have 29, but I expect that the Dutch speedskating gold medals will surpass the US this week by at least two more.

And did you see the medalpresentation for the Men 5000 metres, by our own King Willem Alexander ending with our national anthem.

And the interview with that English Lass getting the Bronze was very emotional, you felt really good that she had won it.
    500 metres speedskating THE NETHERLANDS - GOLD, SILVER & BRONZE

Another clean sweep, unexpected as no Dutch skater ever got any gold for this distance ever.
    The skating teams seems to be in topshape, so we are celebrating. Three distances speedskating and all won by the Netherlands.
    Canada's Dufour-Lapointe sisters; one-two finish. Gold and silver in the moguls.
    The two early stars of these games.

LEH-090214_4682_1.jpg
    Canada have also just taken a 1-2 in the Men's Moguls. Their other skier just missed out on the bronze.
    timmer wrote:
    Canada's Dufour-Lapointe sisters; one-two finish. Gold and silver in the moguls.
    The two early stars of these games.

LEH-090214_4682_1.jpg

Too bad the third sister did not make it to the finals.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Japan's female ski jumper, Sara Takanashi, only 17, came in fourth. But she was the highly touted favorite going in. I am afraid her spirit will be bruised for a while. I hope not a lasting setback. She won 10 of the 13 World Cup events this season and has many good years of competition ahead of her. Sara had heavy expectations riding on her shoulders. But that is the way competitions are, of course, and the Olympics are the grandest moment. Sports performances are never a guarantee; that is what makes it exciting. There are always surprises and disappointments.

I do think this is a good Olympics, from what little I have been able to watch.

Huge upset in the Men's Snowboarding Halfpipe final as defending champion, the legendary Shaun White failed to even medal, finishing 4th overall.
    Huge upset in the Men's Snowboarding Halfpipe final as defending champion, the legendary Shaun White failed to even medal, finishing 4th overall.

Which shows being a favorite is fine, but you have to put in the effort as the rest most certainly will.
    I prefer the winter olympics over the summer edition.

SaintMark wrote:

Which shows being a favorite is fine, but you have to put in the effort as the rest most certainly will.
    I prefer the winter olympics over the summer edition.

And perfectly sums up why I love sport. The drama, the tension, the suspense. When it comes to the big events, a "sure thing" doesn't exist. Every now and again, an upset will occur and David will slay Goliath.
  • edited February 2014 Posts: 1,009
    When I think that one of factors that helped to popularize snowboarding was the teaser of AWTK... Poor Miss Nichol.

Ice hockey for women incoming: Canada 0 - USA 1 (H. Knight)

Edit: Canada gets the lead: Canada 2 (?, H. Wickenheiser) - USA 1. That ref sure is cute!
  • edited February 2014 Posts: 7,653
    Icehockey ladies of Canada beat the US with 3-2

Speedskating 1000 metres The Netherlands: GOLD & BRONZE O:-) :!! , Canada got the silver.

The Netherlands medailles score is already 2 more than last games with more than half of the events to go, and yes some of those events have some of TEAM NL as clear favorites.

Today the great iceskater from the US failed to live up to his role as favorite, he was not able to be the 1st Olympian to win 3 games in a row the same event. The man remains a brilliant athlete in my humble opinion.
  • edited February 2014 Posts: 4,622
    Canada wins that womens hockey game, teased above.

OH Canada. 4 golds and 10 medals so far. Nice haul. Second to only Norway for total medals.

Another shot of Canadian Moguls gold medal winner Justine Dufour-Lapointe
    "I won! I won!"
    dufourWire8-930x600.jpg

"We rigged the figure skating again!!! Exemplary job by Rosa Klebb and her department."
    "Yes great leader. Vee are dee best!1"
    ?m=02&d=20140209&t=2&i=836791633&w=580&fh=&fw=&ll=&pl=&r=CBREA181LEC00
    Putin's outfit would make a great henchmen's outfit for the next Bond film.