bond girl rumor #4 Naomie Harris. News of the world says it's officially her.

Comments

• j7wildj7wild Suspended
    From the movies I've seen her in, I find her untalented and annoying - that's my opinion and I stand by it, If they cast her as major Bond girl character, she will be miscast just like Denise Richards and Halle Berry was miscast !!

There lies the problem, like you said, Berry and Richards were casts because they were popular - popularity doesn't a good actress/actor make regardless of what role you cast them in.

The same is going to be with Naomie Harris - she maybe popular but she is not a good actress.

Paris Hilton, Kim Kardashian, Lindsay Lohan - they are popular but does this mean they can act?

NOPE!
    Naomie Harris is quite attractive and, in my opinion, not too shabby of an actress. I rather enjoyed her performance in After the Sunset. I certainly wouldn't object were she to get a part in 23.
    Wow, I´m surprised that Eon confirm she´s in talks. I wouldn´t have expected that so early on ;-) .
    Well, I only saw her in Miami Vice, where she left quite a good impression in any regard.
    I quite like her. There is personality, and a bit of sparkle. Luckily, she doesn't actually have that very strong Caribbean accent, which - although I love - would become very annoying for potentially the duration of the whole of the Bond film.

I'm just gonna through something out there - Moneypenny anyone?
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    I hope it's not true! She will be another Rosie Carver!
    How do you come to that conclusion?
    I've seen her other works.

I find her unimpressive, untalented, and annoying!

Guess Broccoli and EON has learned nothing from their Halle Berry debacle!

this is funny and so true too!

Naomie Harris should be the next person to be put on this list!!

http://www.flickchart.com/Charts.aspx?actor=Halle+Berry&perpage=20&order=desc

Just by adding Denise Richards name to a later post doesn't remove the fact that these comments are borderline racist. Naomie Harris may not be to your liking but as @thelordflasheart has pointed out, her career and her personality bear no resemblance to those of Halle Berry or Gloria Hendry. Only you see any connection.

Refrain from drawing these paralells in future.
  • zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade
    Harris cast as Moneypenny? Now that is an interesting thought.
    I do not think she will be the main Bond girl, maybe a contact (like Miss Fields) in South Africa? A member of Felix Leiter's team?
    Oh, yes please! Naomie Harris would be perfect as the new Moneypenny!
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited June 2011 Posts: 13,350
    A member of Felix Leiter's team?
    I like the idea of that!

With EON confirming the talks I guess we'll now wait to see whether this goes anywhere or not. I doubt they'd let, Bardem, Fiennes and Harris go - one of them at least must be in Bond 23.
  • AgentJM7 - interesting thought! I guess because of the lack of Moneypenny in the last two films I had never even thought that that could be a role Harris would be up for.

Personally, I think that Harris would be far too attractive for Moneypenny. I still stand by my statement that Moneypenny works best as a vaguely Mom-like or maternal figure (and I don't mean MILF!) who is more a friend to Bond. I guess my opinion is coloured by Lois Maxwell - she was attractive, but more in a "handsome woman" than hot way, and her flirting with Bond seemed more playful than "hey, we both really want to sleep together". As Russel T Davies said, there are several visual shortcuts in film and TV and one is having two hot people onscreen together. The audience automatically wants them to get together so you don't have to write explicit dialogue where they state that. But the problem is that if you set up that dynamic between Bond and Moneypenny then it distracts from the relationship between Bond and the "Bond girl" in a film, and the audience never gets the payoff of Bond and Moneypenny getting together.

Back to Harris, I find her very attractive and she certainly is charming and a competant actress (and convincingly tough when she needs to be as proved in MV). I'd be more than happy if we stay with the GE/CR/QOS model of picking lesser known, talented actresses rather than the TND/TWINE/DAD model of "who's images are 14 year old boys looking up on the internet?".
  • J7Wild - I still don't understand why you think Harris will be another Rosie Carver - can you please explain? Am I missing something obvious? I still can't see the connection between characters or actresses.
  • Jazz007Jazz007 Minnesota
    I find it strange that the lead Bond Girl would be cast this early - maybe I'm wrong but I don't remember other Bond Girls being cast at this same time in other productions....

Anyway, Harris seems like a fine actress, having only seen her in her 28 Days Later and Pirates of the Caribbean roles, but I think they could have found someone a little prettier.
  • j7wildj7wild Suspended
    edited June 2011 Posts: 823

Just by adding Denise Richards name to a later post doesn't remove the fact that these comments are borderline racist. Naomie Harris may not be to your liking but as @thelordflasheart has pointed out, her career and her personality bear no resemblance to those of Halle Berry or Gloria Hendry. Only you see any connection.

DON'T bring race into it - it has nothing to do with race!!

I don't find her talented and yes, I seen her work and I seen 28 Days Later and After the Sunset and Miami Vice - I knew about her before she even starred in the 2nd POTC film.

You say this casting decision, if it does happens, bear no resemblance/connection to Halle Berry or Denise Richards?

It absolutely does!

They are using her 2 POTC movies wave to cast her just like they used Halle Berry with X-Men and Monster's Ball and Denise Richards with Starship Troopers and Wild Things!

• j7wildj7wild Suspended

don't bring race into it - it has nothing to do with race.

I don't find her talented and yes, I seen her work and I seen 28 Days Later and After the Sunset and Miami Vice - I knew about her before she even starred in the 2nd POTC film.

You say this casting decision, if it does happens, bear no resemblance/connection to Halle Berry or Denise Richards?

It absolutely does!

They are using her 2 POTC movies wave to cast her just like they used Halle Berry with X-Men and Monster's Ball and Denise Richards with Starship Troopers and Wild Things!

J7Wild - I still don't understand why you think Harris will be another Rosie Carver - can you please explain? Am I missing something obvious? I still can't see the connection between characters or actresses.

I found her characters annoying in the movies I've seen her in just like I found Rosie Carver's character annoying!

She is one of those actors/actresses/celebrities that you see all the time and you can't stand.

We all have someone like that on our list.

NONE of you have never said?

I can't stand (insert name of so and so actor/actress/celebrity here: ) _____________

Why does he/she keep making movies?

I'd be more than happy if we stay with the GE/CR/QOS model of picking lesser known, talented actresses rather than the TND/TWINE/DAD model of "who's images are 14 year old boys looking up on the internet?".
    Exactly what I mean!

NicNac: are you going to call thelordflasheart racist too?

why did you even bring up race, NicNac?

sounds like you need to get a warning from the MODS in your INBOX!

THIS IS NOT ABOUT RACE!

IT'S ABOUT TALENT and I DONT THINK ROSIE HAS THE TALENT TO BE A BOND GIRL!

Let me put this into a perspective YALL will understand since some of you here seem to be stuck in TUNNEL VISION!

Let's take another High Profile Movie casting call!

The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo 2011

They could had cast any of these actresses for the role of Lisbeth Salander and yes, these actresses were all considered for the role and many of them were offered the role (and the actress who got an offer rejected the role) or were considered by the studio/film-makers and then rejected by the studio/film-makers.

Carey Mulligan, Ellen Page, Kristen Stewart, Natalie Portman, Mia Wasikowska, Keira Knightley, Anne Hathaway, Olivia Thirlby, Emily Browning, Eva Green, Scarlett Johansson, Sophie Lowe, Sarah Snook, Léa Seydoux, Emma Watson, Evan Rachel Wood, and Katie Jarvis.

WOW, who wouldn't want Kristen Stewart or Natalie Portman or Anne Hathaway or Keira Knightely or Scarlett Johansson or Emma Watson or Ellen Page or Eva Green as Lisbeth?!?

They are popular; famous; most "GOOGLED" celebrities; beautiful, impressive cinematographic resume;

with a name like that on the Marquee, you sure are going to rake in the box office $$$$

and yet

they settled on an nearly unknown actress named Rooney Mara whose only high profile film STARRING ROLE was A Nightmare On Elm Street 2010 and a character acting role in The Social Network.

By the way, If I was racist, I would had included Grace Jones, shouldn't have I?

I never heard of Grace Jones until AVTAK and I think she was the perfect Bad Bond Girl and I like her and I don't find her character annoying.

I found her character sinister and threatening; just like a Bad Bond Girl and a Bond Movie henchwoman/villain should be!

If I was racist, I would also had said: a Black Felix Leiter in CR and QoS? No way! Felix is white!

or

why did they keep getting Bond paired with Black allies like in DN and LALD and LTK?

Some of y'all people are so narrow minded and some of y'all should be ashamed of using the race card when you don't see things your way!

Shame, Shame, Shame!!

[-X [-X [-X [-X [-X
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited June 2011 Posts: 15,690
    j7wild - calm down, please !! :!!
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited June 2011 Posts: 13,894
    I've seen both 28 Days Later and After The Sunset, though I don't recall Harris in them. So there go my comments on her acting out the window. As for the other prerequisite, the looks dept, she's passable I suppose, though still a step up from what's her name.... Kurylenko. Which isn't saying much, I guess.

EDIT.
    She's mildy attractive. So allready she's better then Gloria Hendry. IMHO.
  • j7wildj7wild Suspended
    Why should I calm down?

NicNac accused me of something I didn't do!

He should be prosecuted by the MODS!

• NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Why should I calm down?

NicNac accused me of something I didn't do!

He should be prosecuted by the MODS!

Good, I'm pleased you were outraged. So you should be.

I didn't say you were racist, I don't know you at all. I said your comments were 'borderline racist' and if you read carefully over your comment about Gloria Hendry, Halle Berry and Naomie Harris on the previous page you may see what I mean.

Now, I'm a mod on these forums. And it's part of my job to keep as many people on here as happy as I can. Imagine one of our black members reading those same comments. What do you imagine he/she may think? Hopefully you see what I mean.

And certainly judging by comments made by one or two other members they thought the same as me.

As it is you have stated quite clearly that you meant no such thing by your comments. I accept that and hopefully we can move on.

• i really hope she is not the bondgirl, I don't care if she is the villan's girl,

I want a blonde bondgirl for a change!
  • JamesPageJamesPage Administrator, Moderator, Director
    @NicNac - I wholeheartedly agree. I don't know anyone who read @j7wild 's comments and didn't think they were borderline racist either.
    Actually she would make a very nice Moneypenny...I liked her in POTC...
  • edited June 2011 Posts: 1
    I also agree @NicNac. But what annoyed me more was the way @j7wild states his opinion as if he is right on something that is purely subjective. I too saw her in 28 Days Later when it first came out. Thought she was superb and very attractive. Doesn't make me right or you wrong or the other way round, but you seem to aggressively state yours.
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    @MarkA

i agree

She is creating a name for herself in the industry - but i don't think she is nearly at the point where Halle Berry was at that time... She had X-Men, Swordfish, and was fresh off winning an Oscar for Monster's Ball - at that point in time, Halle Berry was everywhere....

Denise Richards - obviously cast because of her rising popularity due to the films Wild Things and Starship Troopers - she was fresh off those films and garnering a lot of attention when she was cast in The World Is Not Enough

Naomi Harris hasn't even reached that level yet IMO... she is becoming known - but I don't think they are casting her purely because of her recent success of the POTC films, such as @j7wild suggests... btw, how many years ago were those films? - it's not like they just came out last year...

dude needs to chill lol..
  • j7wildj7wild Suspended
    i really hope she is not the bondgirl, I don't care if she is the villan's girl,

I want a blonde bondgirl for a change!
    Stacey was blonde - a bit dumb.

Kara was blonde - very cute and very doable except I don't know if I would like her playing that cello when I am trying to watch Calcio.

Christmas was blonde - very very dumb.

Does Miranda qualify as a blonde ?

She seemed cold hearted to me!

Hey, where is it written that a Bond film should have 1 Good girl and 1 Bad girl!

How about 3 of them? 4? 5? etc?
    Never seen this bird in owt else but she looks the part & it's about time Bond had another proper black bird. Lovely.
    I think Naomi Harris would be nice in pretty much any role, as long as she doesn´t play Felicia Leiter :bz .
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    j7wild, you said Harris is popular. How so? She's not a house hold name and I can assure you, if you show her picture to 10 people, you'd be lucky to find 3 people who could actually put a name to the face. Harris' alleged consideration for a role in Bond 23 has nothing to do with her popularity. She is a very competent and diverse actress. I've seen her body of work and where you find her to lack talent, I completely disagree.
    As for her looks, she's a beautiful woman. She may not be some Amazonian stunner but she's still a very beautiful black woman. How many times have fanboys complained about good-looking actresses as Bond girls ruining the film simply because of their lack of acting talent and lack of convincing in their roles??? More than one can care to count is the answer. Look at Craig himself he's not exactly the aesthetically traditional look for Bond even today there are people turned off of Bond simply because Craig doesn't fit their description of what Bond should be or how he should look and yet Craig's 2 movies are financial successes and are handled with a more serious tone as opposed to the cartoon antics of Brosnan's adventures. Craig brings a level of class, quality and believability, which is what Bond needs, want the producers want and is a better recipe for success.
  • At that rate Craig should quit.
    ["Can't be any worse than Halle Berry or Grace Jones."]

It's amazing that Wint managed to name only black actresses. Gee, I wonder why.
  • LudsLuds MIA
    @DRush76 Berry was pathetic, but Jones was a magnificent Bond girl. Not on the sexy side imo, but a tremendous physical threat and henchwoman, so indeed, the comment was suspicious imo.
    Well I don't mind her. Like the post I made of Moneypenny returning! Could she be good for that role? I think she will good for that part.