Oscars Predictions (2014 Edition)

edited January 2014 in General Movies & TV Posts: 5,812
Time, I think, to discuss the Oscars, and try to predict who could win, category by category. Given that I have not seen any of the nominated movies, I'll start with the best Original Song category :

Completely out of left field, that one. Nice hymn, and it would be intereting to see what happens if it wins (given who the host is this year), but I don't think it stands a chance.

Animated features are still a big provider of winning songs, so this one has its chance.

My favourite. The scene is fantastic, and the song fits. If the rumored stage musical takes wings, this one will be a showstopper, for sure.

As much as I love Scarlett Johanson (yeah, me and every guy on the planet, I know), I don't think this one has a chance.

Unlike, say, this one. I love U2.

So, in my opinion, it all will come between "Let it go" and "Ordinary Love". The one I want to win ? "Let It Go".

Comments

It's nice to see Thomas Newman and Roger Deakins being nominated again after last year. Judi Dench is nominated too!
  • MrBondMrBond Station S
    It's Roger Deakins 11th Oscar nomination and Thomas Newmans 12th Oscar nomination without a win.

I hope that "The Wolf of Wall Street" wins as the best film, but that is unlikely due to all the politics involved. So my bet is on "12 Years A Slave" or "Gravity".
    12 Years a Slave completely deserves Best Picture. WoWS doesn't even merit comparison.
  • edited January 2014 Posts: 316
    My predictions are best picture to Gravity, Best Actor/Actress to Chiwetel Ejiofor for 12 Years A Slave and Meryl Streep in August: Osage County. Supporting Actor/Actress to Jared Leto in Dallas Buyers Club and June Squibb in Nebraska. Best Director to Alfonso Cuaron for Gravity

I think Gravity as a film has all the others thoroughly outclassed. I hope to god Her wins absolutely nothing.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    It's usually not best to decide what will win based on your own interests and thoughts. If that's the case, I would want 'Out Of The Furnace' to win Best Picture, but it wasn't even nominated. I figure '12 Years A Slave' or 'American Hustle' will win for Best Picture.
    I think 12 Years A Slave will win Best Film but Alfonso Cuarón will win Best Director.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    As much as I think Ejiofor should win best actor I think it will be McConaughey's year and his co star Mr Leto will beat Fassbender to the best supporting actor gong.

That being said I'm really looking forward to Dallas Buyers Club.

Not seen Gravity so can't comment on that one but 12 Years is incredible and McQueen's direction is breathtaking.

Not quite seeing where all the love for David O'Russells Scorcesse cover version is coming from, it's a very entertaining piece of of cinema with some great performances but best of the year?

I seriously hope U2 don't win with such a dreary Coldplay like track, I do hope the new album isn't a reflection of this.

• SuperheroSithSuperheroSith SE London
    Shardlake wrote:
    I seriously hope U2 don't win with such a dreary Coldplay like track, I do hope the new album isn't a reflection of this.

I loved Ordinary Love.
  • MrBondMrBond Station S
    This will be a very exciting year Oscar-wise.
    Gravity and 12YA both won at the PGA yesterday which is a clear indication of how the Oscar outcome will be.

I would rather see Gravity and 12YA over American Hustle which in my opinion were not as good as it's reputation.

I would rank the films i've seen like this:

1. The Wolf Of Wall Street
    2. 12 Years A Slave
    3. Her
    4. Gravity
    5. American Hustle
    6. Captain Philips

I will watch the rest in due time.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    I have not seen the films, but I am sensing this is McConaughey's year.
    I like Alfonso Cuarón as a director very much; I rather hope he wins.
    American Hustle is buzzing along and possibly going to win some.
  • DoctorKaufmannDoctorKaufmann Can shoot you from Stuttgart and still make it look like suicide.
    Okay, so here are Doctor Kaufmann's guesses, not from Stuttgart, but very close:

Best Picture
    12 YEARS A SLAVE

Best Director
    ALFONSO CUARON (would be an interesting choice as a Bond director)

Best Actor
    MATTHEW McCONNAUGHAY

Best Actress
    CATE BLANCHETT

Best Supporting Actor
    JARED LETO

Best Supporting Actress
    JENNIFER LAWRENCE