George Lazenby and Pierce Brosnan's War of Words

Comments

• SzonanaSzonana Mexico
    Birdleson wrote: »
    I don't show up at funerals for most of the people that I worked with (even closely) 30 years ago. Don't be childish. These are adults. Who knows what "too long" is? Why show up at a funeral if you have no interest in doing so. Why should he forgive? None of us were there, or in their heads.
    Connery used his talent to make millions and that was his prerogative. He doesn't owe them a damn thing. He did his job, git paid, what the Hell. I would have been resentful as Hell. I feel no obligation to the first person that hired me in my profession. He was an asshole. Fans tend to look at these things through a child's eyes. For a nine year period EON and Connery worked together (WORKED, it wasn't a lifelong commitment of friendship and fidelity), do you hold yourself to those own standards of clinging onto the past in your own profession?

I can perfectly see what you mean.
    But still quite sad that everything ended up so bad between Sean Connery and Eon. Sure it was work but for him its role which made him famous and for them they found their star to Make James Bond one of the biggest franchises ever.

So it was something that should have ended up in better terms.
    Sean Connery had his good reasons to be as upset as he was and its more of a big thing if 2 more actors ended up as angry as Sean was but with the difference that the other two were able to make peace with them.

• edited August 2015 Posts: 1,778
    I don't show up at funerals for most of the people that I worked with (even closely) 30 years ago. Don't be childish. These are adults. Who knows what "too long" is? Why show up at a funeral if you have no interest in doing so. Why should he forgive? None of us were there, or in their heads.
    Connery used his talent to make millions and that was his prerogative. He doesn't owe them a damn thing. He did his job, git paid, what the Hell. I would have been resentful as Hell. I feel no obligation to the first person that hired me in my profession. He was an asshole. Fans tend to look at these things through a child's eyes. For a nine year period EON and Connery worked together (WORKED, it wasn't a lifelong commitment of friendship and fidelity), do you hold yourself to those own standards of clinging onto the past in your own profession?

How am I being childish? Just because you choose not to attend funerals for people you've known for decades after you've been invited doesn't mean that's considered normal. No offense but I think that makes you a bit odd. Go and watch the Everything or Nothing documentary and you'll see home video footage of Sean Connery at Broccoli and Saltzman's houses vacationing with them and their children. There's was not simply a "business relationship". It was a close friendship, pure and simple. And yes they had a falling out but if I was invited to a funeral of someone I was once close to by that person's children I would go just out of basic human decency and pay my final respects.

Anyway you cut it, Bond made Connery's career. One can even argue that he coasted on that during the lean years of the 70s. Anyone who believes Connery would've had the same career without his run as James Bond during the 60s that turned him into a icon is incredibly naive. Yes EON cheated Connery out of some money but they also gave him his first big break when he was an unknown actor.
  • ThomasCrown76ThomasCrown76 Augusta, ks
    Did cubby go to Harry saltzmans funeral?

How am I being childish? Just because you choose not to attend funerals for people you've known for decades after you've been invited doesn't mean that's considered normal. No offense but I think that makes you a bit odd. Go and watch the Everything or Nothing documentary and you'll see home video footage of Sean Connery at Broccoli and Saltzman's houses vacationing with them and their children. There's was not simply a "business relationship". It was a close friendship, pure and simple. And yes they had a falling out but if I was invited to a funeral of someone I was once close to by that person's children I would go just out of basic human decency and pay my final respects.

Anyway you cut it, Bond made Connery's career. One can even argue that he coasted on that during the lean years of the 70s. Anyone who believes Connery would've had the same career without his run as James Bond during the 60s that turned him into a icon is incredibly naive. Yes EON cheated Connery out of some money but they also gave him his first big break when he was an unknown actor.

Many people find it hard to be grateful to people who have given them a break - the debt of gratitude can turn into resentment, especially if the person who gave the break believes they are owed something.
    For those of you who aren't familiar with the story, during the 1994 press conference for Goldeneye when Pierce Brosnan was announced as the fifth actor to play James Bond, a reporter asked him what he'd like to do during his tenure. Brosnan, buying into his own hype, stated that he'd like to possibly remake OHMSS as the script and story were excellent but the film starring George Lazenby was "just sad" as he put it.

I remember that well. I also recall being really put out by Brosnan's comments at time. But I got over it . . . by the time he did his last Bond movie.
    I like Brosnan and I don't know entirely what was said but it sounds kind of unprofessional on his part and a cheap shot towards a Bond who wasn't as well liked by the public.

Was there a previous encounter here or did this feud start with that press conference?
  • SzonanaSzonana Mexico
    BAIN123 wrote: »
    I like Brosnan and I don't know entirely what was said but it sounds kind of unprofessional on his part and a cheap shot towards a Bond who wasn't as well liked by the public.

Was there a previous encounter here or did this feud start with that press conference?

But see it this way, he has now really changed, like now he really doesnt talk anything bad about anyone and even now sounds much more grateful towards the franchise which made him famous.

Ive seen thousands of interviews with him, while hecwas Bond and after and has i've always liked him but i like him now even more. I really love much more this new Pierce who is more positive and always has nice for everyone he has worked with.

If Teri would have gotten this new Pierce as a co star their chemistry would have been better.

Brosnan wants to call lazenby sad, so be it. Just because some of you worship the man doesn't mean Brosnan has to as well.
  • SzonanaSzonana Mexico
    edited August 2015 Posts: 1,130
    Brosnan wants to call lazenby sad, so be it. Just because some of you worship the man doesn't mean Brosnan has to as well.

Im not a fan of Lazenby at all, actually he is my least favorite Bond but as much as i adore Pierce he came off a little rude toward Lazenby, there was no need to say what he did, sure its ok to say who were his favorites and who he wanted to emulate but he didnt have to say what he did about a lazenby.

Part of the success in show buisness is being polite and Pierce should have practiced that more while he was at his peak. I adore Pierce and i think he has always been great in interviews but he has his flaws, like everyone in this world

Anyway Getting out of topic

i wonder if european actors have something against playing the full hollywood game.?

Ralph Fiennes why can't he smile in interviews or at least have some fun, really why does he have to treat interviews like torture ?

Daniel Day Lewis actually when he is on a good mood he is great but appearing at late night shows wouldn't hurt him, what is so bad about being a few minutes with Jimmy Fallon and playing the game.
    Jimmy fallon is a very nice and sweet guy.

For Sean Connery he is now retired but why did he have to say what he did in the interview with Barbara Walters ?
    Ok i get it she was a bitt provoking and wanted the ratings but was it too hard for Connery to say, i regret what i said i love woman and ive always respected them.Why did he have to say i haven't changed my mind.?

I adore my brits and irish man but sometimes i wished they copied George Clooney. Its not that hard. Just look at him the man is a very average actor but because he has always said what people want to hear is considered a great actor.

All the actors i previously mentioned are way better than Clooney so imagine how their careers would go if they did everything Clooney has done.

They are actors, its just acting a little more and see interviews as another great performance.

Depends on how much and whose puppet you want to be
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    As far as I know (after seeing the documentary that's shown at the 'Designing Bond' exhibition, Conner's and Broccoli spoke on the phone just before Broccoli died, and made amends. Why Conners didn't go to the funeral I don't know, there may have been tons of reasons. Ours is not to judge in personal relationships we know nothing about, I think.
    That's so very true. Connery knew his presence there would be a story and that day wasn't about him
  • ForYourEyesOnlyForYourEyesOnly In the untained cradle of the heavens
    I don't know what Connery's beef with Albert. R. Broccoli was either.

Where was the one where Lazenby had a go at Craig? I've seen him compliment Craig, that's all. Brosnan and Lazenby were kind of let down in their Bond films by factors they couldn't control, though Lazenby technically brought it on himself with the whole "expecting star treatment" thing which is why Peter Hunt gave him the cold shoulder during the entire production.
  • ggl007ggl007 www.archivo007.com Spain, España
    A little off topic, but:

Do you know what Connery think of Lazenby? Now or then? Any link out there? Thanks.

Where was the one where Lazenby had a go at Craig? I've seen him compliment Craig, that's all. Brosnan and Lazenby were kind of let down in their Bond films by factors they couldn't control, though Lazenby technically brought it on himself with the whole "expecting star treatment" thing which is why Peter Hunt gave him the cold shoulder during the entire production.

Connery's beef was mainly about money, I think. He felt he'd played a key role in the success of Bond but was not being financially rewarded enough.
  • SirHilaryBraySirHilaryBray Scotland
    edited October 2015 Posts: 2,138
    Getafix wrote: »

Connery's beef was mainly about money, I think. He felt he'd played a key role in the success of Bond but was not being financially rewarded enough.

I think the Everything Or Nothing documentary tells the story pretty clearly, Sean felt like Brocolli & Saltzman were exploiting him. Broccoli was a little more of middle man but Saltzman's attitude was that Connery was an ungrateful B*tard. Connery refused to act on set during YOLT while Saltzman was on set. Saltzman lost sense of reality which was his downfall, money went to his head, he began buying up companies just because he could, he lavished his wife in custom made diamond jewellery and threw money around like he has licence to print it. Salztman then had to sell up his stake in EON to stop him going broke. Knowing of Saltzman's lavish spending, you could understand why Connery was looking at it an thinking "I am the star doing the work here, I deserve a bigger piece of the pie". Sean though thought by quitting Bond would not go on without him, forcing them to come back with $$$BIG to have him back, to some degree he was right and he got what he wanted. However Connery agreeing to do McCrorys NSNA up against EON's Octopussy proved Bond was bigger than Connery as Octopussy destroyed it at the box office. Broccoli was extremely upset with Sean, I believe he always felt Connery's beef was with Saltzman and because he was closer to Broccoli he directed the anger at Broccoli for not backing him more rather than siding with Saltzman

Barbara did say on the EON documentary that while Cubby was ill in his final days she was having dinner in LA and Sean walked over and said to her "Can I speak to him", Barbara said sure and called Cubby. Cubby said to Sean "We started something great together" Sean said "We did" Cubby said "I love you Sean", Sean replied "I love you" and that was the last they spoke as Cubby died a few days later. Was great they could burry the hatchet.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Great and touching story.
  • edited October 2015 Posts: 7,653
    @SirHilaryBray well said.

Only OP did not destroy NSNA at the BO, both movies were a brilliant year for anybody calling himself a 007 fan, which I am more than a EON fan. ;)
    I enjoyed both great James Bonds at the cinema in a time when video was just beginning to make its mark.
  • edited October 2015 Posts: 3,333
    I'm not that sure what the "real" truth is, @ForYourEyesOnly. It's been said that Peter Hunt decided the best approach (or technique) was to make George feel vulnerable and therefore give a vulnerable performance, by trying to make him feel isolated at certain points in the production. So varied and unorthodox were Hunt's methods, he even brought Lazenby to the set at 8 o'clock in the morning and made him rehearse all day long to get the right performance. As Hunt says: "I broke him down until he was absolutely exhausted, and by the time we shot it at five o'clock, he was exhausted, and that's how I got the performance." Lazenby also declared that Hunt also asked the rest of the crew to keep a distance from him, as "Peter thought the more I was alone, the better I would be as James Bond."

Without a doubt, Lazenby is the most human 007. He's vulnerable, sensitive; at one point even desperate. That moment at the skating rink when he's rescued by Tracy may be the most touching scene in any Bond film.... well, apart from her death that is. It beats Old Frosty Knicker's death in Skyfall by a country mile.
    Perhaps Lazenby is right that Hunt left him alone, but then his performance
    Is great in OHMSS so perhaps he should be thankful to Peter Hunt for helping
    Him give his performance ?
    SaintMark wrote: »
    @SirHilaryBray well said.

Only OP did not destroy NSNA at the BO, both movies were a brilliant year for anybody calling himself a 007 fan, which I am more than a EON fan. ;)
    I enjoyed both great James Bonds at the cinema in a time when video was just beginning to make its mark.

You are correct my friend

World Box office
    Never Say Never Again $159,932,841
    Octopussy $182,040,579

Not destroyed, my wording was a little heavy. but beat it all the same by $21M+ a big boost for EON being able to show Bond is bigger than Sean. Give me Thunderball over either any day :))
  • edited October 2015 Posts: 3,333
    I don't disagree @DrGorner. Though I'm inclined to side with filmmaker Steven Soderbergh on the subject of Lazenby. This is what he had to say about his favourite 007 movie and on the subject of Lazenby:

"I actually like him—a lot—and think he could have made a terrific Bond had he continued (allegedly he decided before the shoot was over he would only play the part once). What seems obvious to me, though, is no one was helping him during the shoot or the edit (they won’t even let him finish a f%&#@ sentence onscreen). It feels like everyone was so focused on what he wasn’t (Sean Connery) that they didn’t take the time to figure out what he was (a cool-looking dude with genuine presence and great physicality). For instance, they should have known that a lot of the one-liners that would have worked with Connery don’t work with Lazenby. This isn’t because he’s bad, it’s because his entire affect is different, less glib. This, to me, is a lack of sensitivity and understanding on the part of the filmmakers and not a shortcoming of the lead actor, because Lazenby has one thing you can’t fake, which is a certain kind of gravitas. Despite this, there is no attempt to bring it out or amplify it, which is a huge missed opportunity. Also, Lazenby has a vulnerability that Connery never had—there are scenes in which he looks legitimately terrified and others in which he convinces us that he is in love with Tracy (particularly in the final scene)."

I recall saying the very same thing about "some" of Hunt's odd choice of cuts many year's ago. Not that I'm besmirching the great man's work, I just think he could've perhaps chosen some better takes or edits.
    Thanks for that @bondsum I'd never read that before. :)
    My pleasure, DrGorner :)
  • edited October 2015 Posts: 11,425
    bondsum wrote: »
    I don't disagree @DrGorner. Though I'm inclined to side with filmmaker Steven Soderbergh on the subject of Lazenby. This is what he had to say about his favourite 007 movie and on the subject of Lazenby:

"I actually like him—a lot—and think he could have made a terrific Bond had he continued (allegedly he decided before the shoot was over he would only play the part once). What seems obvious to me, though, is no one was helping him during the shoot or the edit (they won’t even let him finish a f%&#@ sentence onscreen). It feels like everyone was so focused on what he wasn’t (Sean Connery) that they didn’t take the time to figure out what he was (a cool-looking dude with genuine presence and great physicality). For instance, they should have known that a lot of the one-liners that would have worked with Connery don’t work with Lazenby. This isn’t because he’s bad, it’s because his entire affect is different, less glib. This, to me, is a lack of sensitivity and understanding on the part of the filmmakers and not a shortcoming of the lead actor, because Lazenby has one thing you can’t fake, which is a certain kind of gravitas. Despite this, there is no attempt to bring it out or amplify it, which is a huge missed opportunity. Also, Lazenby has a vulnerability that Connery never had—there are scenes in which he looks legitimately terrified and others in which he convinces us that he is in love with Tracy (particularly in the final scene)."

I recall saying the very same thing about "some" of Hunt's odd choice of cuts many year's ago. Not that I'm besmirching the great man's work, I just think he could've perhaps chosen some better takes or edits.

Wise and perceptive comments from Soderbergh. I think Laz is under appreciated. So many people on here rank OHMSS as amongst the best Bond movies but Laz almost invariably gets ranked last amongst the actors, as if it's pure coincidence that he happens to be in one of the best Bond movies. It just doesn't add up.

I think he gives an excellent performance. As SS says, he has real presence, and it's difficult to imagine any of the other Bond actors bringing the same vulnerability and believability to the role. For all that Laz and Rigg supposedly couldn't stand each other, the on screen relationship really works well.

I rate Laz fourth personally, above Brosnan and Craig.

A proper revenge based DAF with Laz is one of the great lost Bond movies.
  • ggl007ggl007 www.archivo007.com Spain, España
    And anybody knows Connery's opinion about Lazenby??
    Connery was too classy to say anything. He just let the performances speak for themselves.

Tbh I doubt Connery feels anything for or against Laz.

He was good friends with Rog though, so was doubtless happy that he took over eventually.
    Getafix wrote: »
    bondsum wrote: »

Wise and perceptive comments from Soderbergh. I think Laz is under appreciated. So many people on here rank OHMSS as amongst the best Bond movies but Laz almost invariably gets ranked last amongst the actors, as if it's pure coincidence that he happens to be in one of the best Bond movies. It just doesn't add up.

I think he gives an excellent performance. As SS says, he has real presence, and it's difficult to imagine any of the other Bond actors bringing the same vulnerability and believability to the role. For all that Laz and Rigg supposedly couldn't stand each other, the on screen relationship really works well.

I rate Laz fourth personally, above Brosnan and Craig.

A proper revenge based DAF with Laz is one of the great lost Bond movies.

Only that he thought Lazenby and Moore were a paradoy of the character. That was in interview with someone from the BBC as part of 50th celebration piece he also said in that interview he found Daniel's Bond terrifying.
  • edited October 2015 Posts: 11,425
    So can we imply that he was a fan of Dalton and Brosnan's takes?

Any way, Connery was increasingly doing a charicature as his tenure went on.
    Brilliantly put as always @Getafix :) Your comment, "So many people on here rank OHMSS as amongst the best Bond movies but Laz almost invariably gets ranked last amongst the actors, as if it's pure coincidence that he happens to be in one of the best Bond movies. It just doesn't add up" nails the paradox astutely. I look forward to reading your views on Spectre.