George Lazenby and Pierce Brosnan's War of Words

Comments

• Getafix wrote:

Many thanks @Getafix. :) I'd like to read some, including mine, again.

• RC7RC7
    RC7 wrote:
    Brosnan throws a quip at Lazenby, who then attacks him with full force.

Did anyone ever find evidence of Brosnan having a pop at Lazenby, when he was hired for GE? I know @DoubleOhhSeven said he saw/heard/dreamt it, but I feel until we have evidence I'm going to have to stick with the notion it was George who kicked it off. The ruddy scallywag.

The lengths some people will go to defend their favorite actors never ceases to amaze me. I know what I saw and heard. Google it if you're going to get so defensive. The Sun Nov. 10th 1995.

Pot, kettle, etc.

I did google it, when I read your opening post. I googled it because I'd never heard about it before and I was intrigued. I found nothing. If it indeed exists, why don't you find it yourself and add it to your opening post to give a more thorough base to the discussion?

That said, we're talking about The Sun. Is that the same 'Sun' that reported Halle Berry was 'blinded' on set in Cadiz?

I'm not attempting to defend my 'favourite actor', nor am I going out of my way to simply defend Pierce, I just don't particularly like it when people start threads as a facade to ultimately bash an actor. People wouldn't stand for it with Craig, so I don't see why it should be any different with Broz.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    RC7 wrote:
    I know @DoubleOhhSeven said he saw/heard/dreamt it, but I feel until we have evidence I'm going to have to stick with the notion it was George who kicked it off.

Printed press always distort, misquote, misspell and exaggerate of course. I know first hand. But if you say George kicked it off, that could be something you just dreamt as well.
    We must separate between truth and fact. What you experience personally is unique for you. It is called "phenomenological reality". When two or more agree on what constitutes reality or history or whatever, it then becomes "truth". There can be several versions of the truth, but "fact" is something else. Fact is fact regardless of opinions or perceptions. I do not know what is fact here, but this feud did not just pop up out of thin air.
  • edited January 2014 Posts: 1,778
    RC7 wrote:
    RC7 wrote:

Did anyone ever find evidence of Brosnan having a pop at Lazenby, when he was hired for GE? I know @DoubleOhhSeven said he saw/heard/dreamt it, but I feel until we have evidence I'm going to have to stick with the notion it was George who kicked it off. The ruddy scallywag.

The lengths some people will go to defend their favorite actors never ceases to amaze me. I know what I saw and heard. Google it if you're going to get so defensive. The Sun Nov. 10th 1995.

Pot, kettle, etc.

I did google it, when I read your opening post. I googled it because I'd never heard about it before and I was intrigued. I found nothing. If it indeed exists, why don't you find it yourself and add it to your opening post to give a more thorough base to the discussion?

That said, we're talking about The Sun. Is that the same 'Sun' that reported Halle Berry was 'blinded' on set in Cadiz?

I'm not attempting to defend my 'favourite actor', nor am I going out of my way to simply defend Pierce, I just don't particularly like it when people start threads as a facade to ultimately bash an actor. People wouldn't stand for it with Craig, so I don't see why it should be any different with Broz.

Well clearly you have all the answers. This is more of the same from you @RC7. You're always needlessly aggressive/confrontational and very easily agitated. Do you have something to prove? Because you come off like you have a massive chip on your shoulder. This isn't the first time you've been rude to me but I've continued to be the bigger man and shrug it off.

For the record, I never started this thread to bash Brosnan. Lord knows I don't need any help with that. But merely to bring up these old quotes I had copy and pasted in my laptop from years ago. Maybe it's true maybe it's not. But clearly there's bad blood between the two actors and those quotes were the earliest traces I could find. Nobody seems to have a problem with it except you. Judging from your attitude I can imagine that being a common occurance. That being the case simply don't click on this thread if you can't handle people criticizing your hero. But since you're constantly craving attention and looking to be an "internet smartass" I know that has a very small chance of happening.
  • RC7RC7
    edited January 2014 Posts: 10,512
    RC7 wrote:
    RC7 wrote:

Pot, kettle, etc.

Well clearly you have all the answers. This is more of the same from you @RC7. You're always needlessly aggressive/confrontational and very easily agitated. Do you have something to prove? Because you come off like you have a massive chip on your shoulder. This isn't the first time you've been rude to me but I've continued to be the bigger man and shrug it off.

For the record, I never started this thread to bash Brosnan. Lord knows I don't need any help with that. But merely to bring up this old article a copy and pasted from years ago. Maybe it's true maybe it's not. But clearly there's bad blood between the two actors and those quotes were the earliest traces I could find. Nobody seems to have a problem with it except you. I can imagine that being a common occurance. That being the case simply don't click on this thread if you can't handle people criticizing your hero. But since you're constantly craving attention and looking to be an "internet smartass" I know that has a very small chance of happening.

I have no answers, which is why I asked if you had evidence to back up your initial statements. I don't see that as being confrontational. You wouldn't write a thesis stating certain 'facts' without the evidence to back it up. If it doesn't exist then we'll carry on regardless, I was just curious to see exactly what Brosnan said, because I'm pretty sure whatever it was it was misconstrued. I don't think any Bond actor would actively have a dig at the others.

For the record, as stated above, Brosnan is not my hero. I just find the bashing tedious. It's the same old drivel, he's effeminate, he's shit with guns, he's not as bad-ass as the rest. It's the same old playground tit for tat. After a while it starts to feel like people are on auto-pilot, spouting the same platitudes. I've seen some people take Brosnan apart, bit by bit, and it's made really interesting reading. Calling him a fee fee boy does not quite carry the same level of insight imo.

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Can we change the title to @DoubleOhhSeven and @RC7 s War of Words?
  • RC7RC7
    Can we change the title to @DoubleOhhSeven and @RC7 s War of Words?

We should stage a death match. I have to wear Brosnan's Lawnmower Man suit. He has to carry a box of Fry's on his shoulder.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited January 2014 Posts: 13,350
    This thread is quite something. Going everywhere and no where at the same time.

Just so you know, there are also later remarks from the two, again arguing with each other, so this is very much ongoing between them.
  • RC7RC7
    Samuel001 wrote:

Just so you know, there are also later remarks from the two, again arguing with each other, so this is very much ongoing between them.

Yes, I read those when I was looking for the initial Brozzer comments. Does anyone feel like Brosnan's description of OHMSS being 'just sad', is a very literal comment on his part? I can't see he meant it in the colloquially offensive way. More that it is a sombre film and genuinely sad.
    RC7 wrote:
    RC7 wrote:
    RC7 wrote:

Pot, kettle, etc.

For the record, I never started this thread to bash Brosnan. Lord knows I don't need any help with that. But merely to bring up this old article a copy and pasted from years ago. Maybe it's true maybe it's not. But clearly there's bad blood between the two actors and those quotes were the earliest traces I could find. Nobody seems to have a problem with it except you. I can imagine that being a common occurance. That being the case simply don't click on this thread if you can't handle people criticizing your hero. But since you're constantly craving attention and looking to be an "internet smartass" I know that has a very small chance of happening.

I have no answers, which is why I asked if you had evidence to back up your initial statements. I don't see that as being confrontational. You wouldn't write a thesis stating certain 'facts' without the evidence to back it up. If it doesn't exist then we'll carry on regardless, I was just curious to see exactly what Brosnan said, because I'm pretty sure whatever it was it was misconstrued. I don't think any Bond actor would actively have a dig at the others.

For the record, as stated above, Brosnan is not my hero. I just find the bashing tedious. It's the same old drivel, he's effeminate, he's shit with guns, he's not as bad-ass as the rest. It's the same old playground tit for tat. After a while it starts to feel like people are on auto-pilot, spouting the same platitudes. I've seen some people take Brosnan apart, bit by bit, and it's made really interesting reading. Calling him a fee fee boy does not quite carry the same level of insight imo.

See. Was that so hard? An articulate and well-natured response instead of childish and overly sarcastic gibes. Craig gets bashed on here all the time. I don't accuse those people of "dreaming things up". If you took the time to actually read my opening post you'd notice I said I didn't have a link. I merely copy and pasted a section from an old report years ago that I had saved on my laptop. If I'm not mistaken around 2008 from around when QOS was released. You can't seen to prove Brosnan started it either. Atleast I have something. And the other posters seem to agree with me. And in regards to my insight of calling Brosnan a fee fee boy, you don't seem to be giving us any pearls of genius either calling Lazenby a "ruddy scallywag" and using dated and corny jokes like him not being able to fight a cold.
    Samuel001 wrote:

You're much right. I never intended to get off topic but apparently I'm "dreaming things up". Well back to reality. Here's a fun little video that was made leading up to the 50th Anniversary. You can't really take it seriously as I kind of of doubt the person really watched the movies closely. But just for fun.

• RC7RC7
    See. Was that so hard? An articulate and well-natured response instead of childish and overly sarcastic gibes.

It was a struggle.
    RC7 wrote:
    See. Was that so hard? An articulate and well-natured response instead of childish and overly sarcastic gibes.

It was a struggle.

I rest my case.
  • RC7RC7
    RC7 wrote:

It was a struggle.

I rest my case.

;)
    All this talk of Lazzer being this world class prize fighter is all a bit hearsay though isn't it?

He looked pretty good in some heavily edited fight scenes and has bragged about being a hard nut but lots of blokes down the pub like to talk a good fight.
    All this talk of Lazzer being this world class prize fighter is all a bit hearsay though isn't it?

He looked pretty good in some heavily edited fight scenes and has bragged about being a hard nut but lots of blokes down the pub like to talk a good fight.

It's been confirmed that he has a pretty extensive martial arts background. Before Bruce Lee died the two were planning on being in a film together. Im assuming it would've had the two duking it out with Lee as the hero and Lazenby as the villain. Kind of like in The Man From Hong Kong.
    [. Here's a fun little video that was made leading up to the 50th Anniversary. You can't really take it seriously as I kind of of doubt the person really watched the movies closely. But just for fun.

Great vid. Real funny, but girl knows her Bond very well too. Must watch more of her Bond videos.

• timmer wrote:
    [. Here's a fun little video that was made leading up to the 50th Anniversary. You can't really take it seriously as I kind of of doubt the person really watched the movies closely. But just for fun.

Great vid. Real funny, but girl knows her Bond very well too. Must watch more of her Bond videos.

They were part of a Bond vs. Bond tournament leading up to Skyfall. It ended up as Connery vs. Craig in the finals. Seeing as how Craig was the current Bond he won. Even though I like Craig more I'm pretty sure if it came down to voting Connery would win. He always seems to win these things.
  • SzonanaSzonana Mexico
    edited August 2015 Posts: 1,130
    Its too sad there was such a big words fight between them and Pierce as much as i love him he has his flaws and his first reaction when he was let go wasn't the best. but unlike Sean Connery and Lazenby he made peace with Eon and i guess that shows in the documentary of everything or nothing and his apperance at 50th anniversary.

He talks much more comprehensivley and candid about her than he was first let go.
    I wonder what made him change his mind?

• Szonana wrote: »
    Its too sad there was such a big words big fight between them and Pierce as mich as i love him he has his flaws and his first resction when he was let go wasn't the best. but unlike Sean Connery and Lazenby he made peace with Eon and i guess that shows in the documentary of everything or nothing and his apperance at 50th anniversary.

He talks much more comprehensivley and candid sbout her than hecwas first let go.
    I wonder what made him change his mind?

With the exception of Connery, all the Bonds seemed to make peace with EON. Which is kind of ironic seeing as how no one gained more by played James Bond in the long run than Sean Connery.
  • ThomasCrown76ThomasCrown76 Augusta, ks
    Agreed. Connery was right to volunteer to piss in cubbys ear
  • SzonanaSzonana Mexico
    Birdleson wrote: »
    With the exception of Connery, all the Bonds seemed to make peace with EON. Which is kind of ironic seeing as how no one gained more by played James Bond in the long run than Sean Connery.

They treated him badly. Even after the first four films were breaking box office records, and even after Broccoli and Saltzman had used that as leverage to renegotiate their own contract with the studio greatly to their advantage, they refused to do likewise with Connery himself. They held him to the comparative paltry sum that he had signed for when her was basically an unknown and no one knew if this whole idea would be successful. Technically legal, but a shitty way to honor your star and the public face of this phenomenally huge brand.[/quote]

Ohh yes he did get a very poor treatment but he should have forgiven them, he had a great acreer after that and its the role which made him famous.

But i think Eon have learned thier lesson on how to treattheir actor and now Craig seems like he is getting a much more fair treatment

• PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO
    What are some of the things Brosnan said about EON?
  • PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO
    Really? Wow. He really doesn't like them.
    He said, "Those people are bastard people."

Really? Never heard that quote before.
  • M16_CartM16_Cart Craig fanboy?
    He should do 3 films and get out.

Lazenby aptly predicted Die Another Day.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    We all should be thankful to Brosnan for doing a fourth one that is DAD.

Because had he bowed out after TWINE, Daniel Craig would have never been cast for a 2002 Bond movie.
  • edited August 2015 Posts: 1,778

They treated him badly. Even after the first four films were breaking box office records, and even after Broccoli and Saltzman had used that as leverage to renegotiate their own contract with the studio greatly to their advantage, they refused to do likewise with Connery himself. They held him to the comparative paltry sum that he had signed for when her was basically an unknown and no one knew if this whole idea would be successful. Technically legal, but a shitty way to honor your star and the public face of this phenomenally huge brand.

I'm not disputing the fact that EON screwed him over a bit but to hold onto that resentment for decades and than to no show Cubby's funeral all seemed like too much. Especially since Connery was able to use his fame as Bond to continue an acting career that would earn him millions upon millions of dollars.
    M16_Cart wrote: »

I'll go even further and say that the Lazman might be a clairvoyant. He predicted,

-Brosnan's falling out with EON.
    -Brosnan's celebrity status taking a dive in his post Bond career.
    -Everything after Brosnan's third film being unwatchable.

I'm going to start a petition for the "George Lazenby Psychic Hotline"

They treated him badly. Even after the first four films were breaking box office records, and even after Broccoli and Saltzman had used that as leverage to renegotiate their own contract with the studio greatly to their advantage, they refused to do likewise with Connery himself. They held him to the comparative paltry sum that he had signed for when her was basically an unknown and no one knew if this whole idea would be successful. Technically legal, but a shitty way to honor your star and the public face of this phenomenally huge brand.

I'm not disputing the fact that EON screwed him over a bit but to hold onto that resentment for decades and than to no show Cubby's funeral all seemed like too much. Especially since Connery was able to use his fame as Bond to continue an acting career that would earn him millions upon millions of dollars.
    M16_Cart wrote: »

I'll go even further and say that the Lazman might be a clairvoyant. He predicted,

-Brosnan's falling out with EON.
    -Brosnan's celebrity status taking a dive in his post Bond career.
    -Everything after Brosnan's third film being unwatchable.

I'm going to start a petition for the "George Lazenby Psychic Hotline"

I think the thing is that without knowing exactly what was said and done it's difficult to judge. Clearly Connery had his reasons, at least partly justified. May be he held a grudge for too long, or may be he felt it would be two faced to show up at the funeral of someone he didn't particarly like.

We will probably never know the full story. I think we should just accept that sometimes people fall out and neither side is that bothered about patching things up. People move on. Forgive or forget. It doesn't make those involved monsters or saints.
    Who are directing that at? I thought I just made essentially the same point.