Controversial opinions about anything

Comments

• LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    edited December 2017 Posts: 3,985
    The Beatles are terrible

Only one of he most influential bands in music history.....but there's no accounting for taste
  • RemingtonRemington I'll do anything for a woman with a knife.
    I literally just came here to post "The Beatles are overrated". Don't get me wrong. They're not terrible but apart from like two songs they do absolutely nothing for me. And John Lennon was a total hypocrite. Just my opinion. Doesn't make it true.
    It's ironic because I'm a fan of Oasis lol.
  • RemingtonRemington I'll do anything for a woman with a knife.
    Remington wrote: »
    I literally just came here to post "The Beatles are overrated". Don't get me wrong. They're not terrible but apart from like two songs they do absolutely nothing for me. And John Lennon was a total hypocrite. Just my opinion. Doesn't make it true.
    It's ironic because I'm a fan of Oasis lol.

When it comes to the 60s, The Doors, The Stones, and Hendrix are more my style.
    I agree on Lennon. Obviously a gifted artist but I have little regard for him as a person. By many accounts he sounded like a right bully.
    You can never argue with taste, but Beatles, unlike most other bands, revolutionized rock. They continously experimented and developed their style, creating songs and albums that were groundbraking and vastly different from each other. With albums like Sergent Pepper and Abbey Road they set a new standard for what was possible and acceptable rock music in terms of creative influence from other genres. Those albums are simply works of art!
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Tomorrow Never Dies is the most relevant Bond today.
    james_bond_007_elliot_carver_1997_movie_tomorrow_never_dies.jpg
    There's no news like FAKE news. ;)
  • edited January 2018 Posts: 12,271
    chrisisall wrote: »
    Tomorrow Never Dies is the most relevant Bond today.
    james_bond_007_elliot_carver_1997_movie_tomorrow_never_dies.jpg
    There's no news like FAKE news. ;)

Should not be considered controversial. I agree. The current times have also helped me appreciate the movie more.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    not my favourite, but... it had a certain insight....
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Bruce Feirstein based the character on the late Robert Maxwell of Daily Mirror fame.
    The Beatles are terrible

Never enjoyed The Beatles as much as The Who, The Rolling Stones, The Kinks or The Doors. Although I like a bit of Beatles music, I never quite 'got' Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band. Rubber Soul is my favourite of theirs.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Sgt Pepper is really bad.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    edited January 2018 Posts: 6,791
    The English language-world, how much I love it, should really look at other languages too. It is so self-centered that it saddens me.

France Gall, an inspired French singer, died at only 70 and it's just no news on the other side of the canal (or the ocean).

Justin bloody Bieber's new haircut is.

Painful realisation.
    GoldenGun wrote: »
    The English language-world, how much I love it, should really look at other languages too. It is so self-centered that it saddens me.

France Gall, an inspired French singer, died at only 70 and it's just no news on the other side of the canal (or the ocean).

Painful realisation.

Oh that is sad about France Gall. I must confess I mainly know her from that stupid Charlemagne song and Les Sucettes.
    @Ludovico Apparently she didn’t like that Charlemagne song either.

I would suggest one of these songs:
    - Ella, elle l’a
    - Résiste
    - Babacar
    - Évidemment
    - Si maman si
    - Ce soir je ne dors pas
    - etc
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'

Painful realisation.

Cheggers died a few weeks ago and I daresay that didn't make much of a ripple on the other side of la manche either. That's not a slight on either nation just some people are global stars that make the jump to other countries and some aren't. I'm sure there are plenty of inane French Bieber fans out there too.

Although you are of course correct that native English native speaker's language skills are appalling. I can get by in 3 other languages than English but I still feel ashamed when I go abroad at how poor I am when I see how fluent everyone is in places like The Netherlands and even on here we have people excellently debating the finer points of Bondian doctrine in not their first language (Balje excepted obviously!).
    @Ludovico Apparently she didn’t like that Charlemagne song either.

I would suggest one of these songs:
    - Ella, elle l’a
    - Résiste
    - Babacar
    - Évidemment
    - Si maman si
    - Ce soir je ne dors pas
    - etc

The Charlemagne song was really stupid. And Les sucettes were, well... I know she was ashamed of that one when she found out what they meant.
    Can't say I have much knowledge about French music, with the exception of a few songs by Serge Gainsbourg and Françoise Hardy. Any recommendations?
    Can't say I have much knowledge about French music, with the exception of a few songs by Serge Gainsbourg and Françoise Hardy. Any recommendations?

Georges Brassens.
  • edited January 2018 Posts: 7,500

Go for Claude Debussy, Ravel, Jules Massenet, Berlioz and Messian! ;)

If that is til modern for you, try Jean Baptiste Lully or Jean Philipe Rameau.

Edit:

How could I torget the great Gabriel Fauré? And Camille Saint Saens? I am ashamed!
    May I suggest Charles Aznavour, Jacques Dutronc, Michel Berger, Joe Dassin, Dalida, Patricia Kaas and the aforementioned France Gall?

Lots to discover if you'd like.
    Ludovico wrote: »

Georges Brassens.
    jobo wrote: »

Edit:

How could I torget the great Gabriel Fauré? And Camille Saint Saens? I am ashamed!
    May I suggest Charles Aznavour, Jacques Dutronc, Michel Berger, Joe Dassin, Dalida, Patricia Kaas and the aforementioned France Gall?

Lots to discover if you'd like.

Looks like I have to do some heavy Spotify searching tonight. Thanks for the suggestions!
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    You can never argue with taste, but Beatles, unlike most other bands, revolutionized rock. They continously experimented and developed their style, creating songs and albums that were groundbraking and vastly different from each other. With albums like Sergent Pepper and Abbey Road they set a new standard for what was possible and acceptable rock music in terms of creative influence from other genres. Those albums are simply works of art!

It's difficult now for people to put these achievements in context.

You can argue that Tomorrow Never Knows created psychedelic rock, or Helter Skelter was the first heavy rock song. You can point out that the Beatles were the first to put lyrics in with an album, or that their third album A Hard Day's Night composed totally by the band's principle two artists was revolutionary, simply for that reason.

And you still only get 'So what?'

Sgt Pepper was amazing for so many reasons, but the legion of copy cat albums that followed simply diluted what the Beatles did.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited January 2018 Posts: 23,883
    If I could suggest some St Germain. French lounge music is quite good.

Oh, and of course Jean Michel Jarre. Particularly Oxygene and Equinoxe.
    bondjames wrote: »
    If I could suggest some St Germain. French lounge music is quite good.

Oh, and of course Jean Michel Jarre. Particularly Oxygene and Equinoxe.

Noted! Do like a bit of lounge music now and then. :-)

Edit:

Lully was Italian. Worked in France but Italian.
  • Warcraft is better than many Marvel and DC films.
    Ludovico wrote: »

Edit:

Lully was Italian. Worked in France but Italian.

Technically that's true, but he is considered a part of the French musical heritage. Just like Händel is associated with English music, not German.
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    NicNac wrote: »
    It's difficult now for people to put these achievements in context.

You can argue that Tomorrow Never Knows created psychedelic rock, or Helter Skelter was the first heavy rock song. You can point out that the Beatles were the first to put lyrics in with an album, or that their third album A Hard Day's Night composed totally by the band's principle two artists was revolutionary, simply for that reason.

And you still only get 'So what?'

Sgt Pepper was amazing for so many reasons, but the legion of copy cat albums that followed simply diluted what the Beatles did.

I put You Really Got Me by The Kinks personally ;)
    @Torgeirtrap Brassens might be difficult to tackle unless you understand French as his texts are his strength and he's difficult to translate. But Jake Thackray made a good cover of Le Gorille (warning: like many of his songs it's quite rude):
    @Torgeirtrap I would suggest that you look up translations of almost all these French singers as well. Their lyrics are an important part of their greatness.

@Ludovico Nice to see you’re an enthusiast as well ;)