Tell us all about your BONDATHON

Comments

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    In Duckworld.
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    THE SPY WHO LOVED ME

OHMSS has held the record for being my favourite Bond film for some four years now. It perhaps still remains the best Bond film. But I just can't deny that this viewing of TSWLM was anything short of exhilarating, and it is this film that has finally topped OHMSS.
    I love every second of it. Everything from Moore, to the action, to the score. It is clear that Broccoli put everything and the kitchen sink into it. The film is a marvel. There are loads of little shots in this film that always catch my eye; Bond silhouetted against a minaret in Cairo, the submarine entering Liparus, Jaws rounding on Fekkesh in the Egyptian tomb, the shots of the dancers in Kalba's club interspersed with Jaws gradually getting closer to Kalba's neck, and there so many more. I paid particular attention to the score this time around, and I realised just how well the score fits the film. It's a funky score, but it can also be incredibly beautiful, such as the cue when Bond and Anya are taken to Atlantis, and the inclusion of pieces by Mozart and Bach in the Stromberg sequences. This film also highlights the reasons why Moore is my favourite Bond- put Moore in any situation and he will pull it off perfectly. He can be ruthless (killing Stromberg in cold blood), he can be serious ("the answer to the question is yes, I did kill him"), he is unparalleled when it comes to comedy.
    The Spy Who Loved Me is the most rounded Bond film, and is thoroughly entertaining from start to finish. I reiterate that I find this film to be criminally underrated on these boards.

PS, I love that sneaky sideways glance the US submarine crew member gives to "Major taking a shower" when he's closing the door- absolutely hilarious stuff.

MayDay's Summer 2016 Bondathon:-

-Dr. No (1962)
    Inside Dr. No
    -From Russia with Love (1963)
    Inside From Russia with Love
    -Goldfinger (1964)
    The Making of Goldfinger
    -Thunderball (1965)
    The Making of Thunderball
    -You Only Live Twice (1967)
    Inside You Only Live Twice
    -On Her Majesty's Secret Service (1969)
    Inside On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    -Diamonds Are Forever (1971)
    Inside Diamonds Are Forever
    -Live and Let Die (1973)
    Inside Live and Let Die
    -The Man with the Golden Gun (1974)
    Inside The Man with the Golden Gun
    -The Spy Who Loved Me (1977)
    Inside The Spy Who Loved Me

Rank order-
    -THE SPY WHO LOVED ME
    -ON HER MAJESTY'S SECRET SERVICE
    -FROM RUSSIA WITH LOVE
    -GOLDFINGER
    -DIAMONDS ARE FOREVER
    -LIVE AND LET DIE
    -THUNDERBALL
    -THE MAN WITH THE GOLDEN GUN
    -YOU ONLY LIVE TWICE
    -DR. NO
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    THE SPY WHO LOVED ME
    Bond silhouetted against a minaret in Cairo

My favorite shot of the film too. Just beautiful - the score, the cinematography, the direction, are create something exquisite, that lasts just but a moment.

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited August 2016 Posts: 23,883
    royale65 wrote: »
    THE SPY WHO LOVED ME
    Bond silhouetted against a minaret in Cairo

My favorite shot of the film too. Just beautiful - the score, the cinematography, the direction, are create something exquisite, that lasts just but a moment.
    I agree, it's truly a wonderful scene. I also love the atmospheric Karnak Temple Jaws encounter (copied in the following year's Death On The Nile btw), which is almost as good as the Hagia Sophia one in FRWL.

TSWLM is indeed Bond at his best, as Carly's title track proudly announces.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    GF - TSWLM - GE - SF

those four are the most important Bond movies, TSWLM saved the franchise and in a fabulous way and even re-defined Bond.
  • edited August 2016 Posts: 3,336
    Also the Lawrence of Arabia theme is wonderfully played in TSWLM.

It's beautifully played in Lawrence Of Arabia.

vzok wrote: »

It's beautifully played in Lawrence Of Arabia.

Moore slinging his tux over his shoulder as he starts walking in TSWLM is what I always think of when I start hearing that theme.
    Lawrence Of Arabia is a great movie.
    I confess I've only seen part of the film, not the whole thing.
    BAIN123 wrote: »
    I confess I've only seen part of the film, not the whole thing.

I must recommend you see it as soon as possible. Definitely one of the all-time great films.
    I've never been able to sit through all of Lawrence of Arabia, despite having the definitive remastered edition. I must do that sometime. Same goes for Dr. Zhivago (and I have that one too).
    Birdleson wrote: »
    I don't get that. I find it to be one of the most engaging and magnificent films ever made.

Same. Some of the quickest 4 hours I could possibly spend.
    I think that might be the way to go. The immersive & communal theatre experience and the larger screen may allow me to enjoy it more.

I've never actually tried it at home TBH. I've just watched bits and pieces of it on tv and gotten bored. So I should give it a shot.
    edited August 2016 Posts: 5,080
    This is where we begin to differ, @Birdleson!

MOONRAKER

Moonraker is next in my Bondathon, which is appropriate considering the venue of the current Olympics which I have been following closely.

This film is too good technically to be anywhere near the bottom five. The soundtrack, sets and cinematography are the best in the series, imo. These following scenes alone elevate Moonraker far above the likes of TOMORROW NEVER DIES, THE WORLD IS NOT ENOUGH, DIE ANOTHER DAY and SPECTRE in my opinion; the death of Corinne Dufour and the transition into Venice (superb shot), Bond being lead to the temple by the beautiful girl, the PTS, the journey to the space station and its reveal, the Moonraker space shuttles taking off and the arrival to Drax's estate (on Blu-ray, the helicopter flying over the astronaut training programme looks magnificent).
    Moore's performance often gets criticised as being smarmy and smug, whereas I just see the leading actor having the time of his life. Similarly, Michael Lonsdale relishes playing the role of Drax, who has some great dialogue ("Afternoon tea", "tedious inevitability", "first woman in space" etc.).
    I'm not going to excuse some of the excessive comedy that impedes MOONRAKER from reaching the upper echelons of Bond film rankings, but what I will say is that the first 38 minutes (yes, I paid particular attention to the run time this time around) is first class Bond; it doesn't put a foot wrong. It is at the 38 minute mark when you get the Bondala sequence, and from here on you get some wonderful sequences that are often followed by the comedy. But still, there is enough in the second half to the redeem the film from it's misdemeanours- I just can't help but love Moonraker.

As usual, I followed Moonraker with the Inside documentary. I've never seen the outtakes that are shown during the documentary's credits but they are absolutely hilarious- check them out if you haven't seen them either.

-Dr. No (1962)
    Inside Dr. No
    -Goldfinger (1964)
    The Making of Goldfinger
    -Thunderball (1965)
    -Live and Let Die (1973)
    Inside Live and Let Die
    -Moonraker (1979)
    Inside Moonraker

Rank order-
    -THE SPY WHO LOVED ME
    -FROM RUSSIA WITH LOVE
    -GOLDFINGER
    -DIAMONDS ARE FOREVER
    -LIVE AND LET DIE
    -MOONRAKER
    -THUNDERBALL
    -YOU ONLY LIVE TWICE
    -DR. NO
    Moonraker is great fun.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    If you had waited anxiously for two years following TSWLM you may not have thought so.
    Did you see it in theaters? In comparison, I can imagine how much of a disappointment in must have been. MR is one of those movies that are appreciated by some (including myself) in hindsight.
    I wish MR was enjoyable for me. The last 2 or 3 times I've seen it, it's won out as my clear-cut least favorite Bond movie.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    With some careful editing MR would be a lot better. It has some classic Moore moments ("You missed Mr. Bond!......Did I?".
    I meant the line rather than the script, which as you say has significant holes in it.
    There are indeed some excellent memorable lines in MR. It's full of them.
    And lines that could only be delivered by Sir Roger.............
    FOR YOUR EYES ONLY

As with every of my top five Bond films, I love everything about FOR YOUR EYES ONLY. It's so understated and modest, in stark contrast to MOONRAKER and indeed OCTOPUSSY. I love the fact they decided to take a more grounded approach with this film. I really have no gripes, perhaps apart from Bibi (who doesn't annoy me too much). I said a while back in my LIVE AND LET DIE review that I thought Solitaire was the most beautiful Bond girl; I think I have to take that back because Carol Bouquet is absolutely gorgeous.

-Dr. No (1962)
    Inside Dr. No
    -Goldfinger (1964)
    The Making of Goldfinger
    -Thunderball (1965)
    -Live and Let Die (1973)
    Inside Live and Let Die
    -Moonraker (1979)
    Inside Moonraker
    -For Your Eyes Only (1981)
    Inside For Your Eyes Only

Rank order-
    -THE SPY WHO LOVED ME
    -FOR YOUR EYES ONLY
    -FROM RUSSIA WITH LOVE
    -GOLDFINGER
    -DIAMONDS ARE FOREVER
    -LIVE AND LET DIE
    -MOONRAKER
    -THUNDERBALL
    -YOU ONLY LIVE TWICE
    -DR. NO
    FYEO is the first Bond film I watched at 6 years old. I'll always have a soft spot for it. One of Rogers best.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    This thread frustrates me. I finished my Bondathon about 7 weeks ago, swore I wouldn't watch another Bond until B25 was in sight, and now I'm hankering after a bit of Bond....maybe a 6 film mini Bondathon featuring each actor...
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    This is where we begin to differ, @Birdleson!

MOONRAKER

Moonraker is next in my Bondathon, which is appropriate considering the venue of the current Olympics which I have been following closely.

This film is too good technically to be anywhere near the bottom five. The soundtrack, sets and cinematography are the best in the series, imo. These following scenes alone elevate Moonraker far above the likes of TOMORROW NEVER DIES, THE WORLD IS NOT ENOUGH, DIE ANOTHER DAY and SPECTRE in my opinion; the death of Corinne Dufour and the transition into Venice (superb shot), Bond being lead to the temple by the beautiful girl, the PTS, the journey to the space station and its reveal, the Moonraker space shuttles taking off and the arrival to Drax's estate (on Blu-ray, the helicopter flying over the astronaut training programme looks magnificent).
    Moore's performance often gets criticised as being smarmy and smug, whereas I just see the leading actor having the time of his life. Similarly, Michael Lonsdale relishes playing the role of Drax, who has some great dialogue ("Afternoon tea", "tedious inevitability", "first woman in space" etc.).
    I'm not going to excuse some of the excessive comedy that impedes MOONRAKER from reaching the upper echelons of Bond film rankings, but what I will say is that the first 38 minutes (yes, I paid particular attention to the run time this time around) is first class Bond; it doesn't put a foot wrong. It is at the 38 minute mark when you get the Bondala sequence, and from here on you get some wonderful sequences that are often followed by the comedy. But still, there is enough in the second half to the redeem the film from it's misdemeanours- I just can't help but love Moonraker.

As usual, I followed Moonraker with the Inside documentary. I've never seen the outtakes that are shown during the documentary's credits but they are absolutely hilarious- check them out if you haven't seen them either.

-Dr. No (1962)
    Inside Dr. No
    -Goldfinger (1964)
    The Making of Goldfinger
    -Thunderball (1965)
    -Live and Let Die (1973)
    Inside Live and Let Die
    -Moonraker (1979)
    Inside Moonraker

Rank order-
    -THE SPY WHO LOVED ME
    -FROM RUSSIA WITH LOVE
    -GOLDFINGER
    -DIAMONDS ARE FOREVER
    -LIVE AND LET DIE
    -MOONRAKER
    -THUNDERBALL
    -YOU ONLY LIVE TWICE
    -DR. NO

Quite splendid!
    The outtake in which Bond and Holly pass an alien washing the window to the space station is a particular highlight!

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I trued to stop cold, the result is that after a two month hiatus I find myself watching a Bond film most everyday. It's a sickness.

Even in the midst of a Bondathon, I find myself wanting to pick out random entries to watch. A sickness, indeed.
    I love watching Bond movies, but I have to rest them. They are great when you haven't seen them for a while.
    Funny, I'm in correspondence with people I'll be sharing student accommodation with when I go to uni in late September, and I was delighted to learn that one of the girls happens to be a Bond fan (it's very rare to find a Bond fan amongst us millennials!). I asked her what her favourite Bond film is, and I was further delighted to learn it is LIVE AND LET DIE.

What's more, we've all agreed that film nights will include a Bond film. It's utterly bizarre. People my age are usually indifferent when it comes to Bond.
    I see great possibilities. Perhaps an appropriate Bond/Solitaire style tryst is in the cards?