Tell us all about your BONDATHON

Comments

• BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    edited September 2016 Posts: 9,020
    barryt007 wrote: »
    You are flying tonight @BondJasonBond006 ?

On the Airport now. Arriving at Heathrow 8 o'clock London time Sunday morning :)
  • w2bondw2bond is indeed a very rare breed
    I'm also going to do an 'im expecting you' count. I remember one in Octopussy (hotel arrival) and twice(?) in Spy (M briefing in Cairo, Stromberg at Atlantis). CR and LTK nil
    Also appearances of Sony dates back many years. Not sure if there was a product placement deal in place but the logos are very obvious
    edited September 2016 Posts: 2,252
    On Her Majesty's Secret Service

I'm only being a little controversial in saying that FRWL, OHMSS and CR are the closest to a perfect Bond film, where they get everything right from inside and out, from characters to camera, script to stunts.

In particular OHMSS is perhaps the only film where you have everything you could possibly want in a Bond film. A Bond woman, decent villain, great stunts, beautiful locations, faithful script, a story you can invest yourself in, the best Bond score. And Bond - Lazenby does an admirable job. Not as handsome as most of the others but I've realised he has great screen presence. And he can fight. What is missing here is Young's influence. Lazenby dresses well, moves well. But there's a style missing that's present in Dr No and FRWL.

The other distraction is the odd editing in places, both visual and audio. But it's not jarring enough to spoil the enjoyment of an otherwise perfect film.

I suspect Majesty will end up second if not first. Living Daylights has some tough competition.

2016 rank (brackets-2015) [relative score/49.5]

1. OHMSS (5) [46]
    2. CR (3) [26]
    3. TSWLM (8) [22.5]
    4. OP (2) [22]
    5. LTK (13) [6]

Did not expect OHMSS to have such a big relative lead over the others but it really excels in most areas. LTK is not really that low - it's just that so far in the Bondathon I've already watched 3 of my previous top 6

"Expecting you" count - 0
    Sony count - 0

Next up is TMWTGG, I don't rate the Hamilton films so this is likely going to sit at the bottom
    I can also confirm that:

Expecting you
    Octopussy - 1 (Bond arrives at hotel "we've been expecting you")
    Spy - 2 (M "we've been...". Stromberg "I've been...")
    OHMSS - 0
    CR & LTK - 0 that I can recall
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited September 2016 Posts: 28,694
    w2bond wrote: »

I'm only being a little controversial in saying that FRWL, OHMSS and CR are the closest to a perfect Bond film, where they get everything right from inside and out, from characters to camera, script to stunts.

In particular OHMSS is perhaps the only film where you have everything you could possibly want in a Bond film. A Bond woman, decent villain, great stunts, beautiful locations, faithful script, a story you can invest yourself in, the best Bond score. And Bond - Lazenby does an admirable job. Not as handsome as most of the others but I've realised he has great screen presence. And he can fight. What is missing here is Young's influence. Lazenby dresses well, moves well. But there's a style missing that's present in Dr No and FRWL.

The other distraction is the odd editing in places, both visual and audio. But it's not jarring enough to spoil the enjoyment of an otherwise perfect film.

I suspect Majesty will end up second if not first. Living Daylights has some tough competition.

1. OHMSS (5) [46]
    2. CR (3) [26]
    3. TSWLM (8) [22.5]
    4. OP (2) [22]
    5. LTK (13) [6]

Did not expect OHMSS to have such a big relative lead over the others but it really excels in most areas. LTK is not really that low - it's just that so far in the Bondathon I've already watched 3 of my previous top 6

Sony count - 0

Next up is TMWTGG, I don't rate the Hamilton films so this is likely going to sit at the bottom

I don't think many would fight you on that statement, dear @w2Bond. Including yours truly. :)

1. OHMSS (5) [46]
    2. CR (3) [26]
    3. TSWLM (8) [22.5]
    4. OP (2) [22]
    5. LTK (13) [6]

Sony count - 0

I don't think many would fight you on that statement, dear @w2Bond. Including yours truly. :)

@0BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Some would argue Dr No and Goldfinger, or even Spy/GE/SF but they are missing a few things that prevent them from being top tier
    The Man with the Golden Gun

I went into this with low expectations, but found myself enjoy the first part of the film. It starts to fall apart at the karate school. I agree with others that this is a strong performance from Moore - maybe it's his youth, or the sharp script (his performance in the Glen films is also good but lack something). What also elevates this film's standing as usual is Barry's fun score that is nowhere near as bad that some say it is.

I never liked the action in Hamilton films, and still don't. But he does the bizarre elements quite well. The fun house, and his villains are a strange addition to the world of Bond. It's a shame the 'dual between titans' isn't fleshed out more and we get this confused plot trying to capitalise on what was popular at the time.

2016 Bondathon (2015 brackets) [relative score/61]
    1. OHMSS (5) [57]
    2. CR (3) [34]
    3. TSWLM (8) [29.5]
    4. OP (2) [27]
    5. TMWTGG (17) [24]
    5. LTK (13) [10]

"I've been expecting you"
    "Mr Fat is expecting me"

Sony
    - Nick Nack uses Sony surveillance equipment at the funhouse
    - Sony products on display opposite the Bottoms up. Bond and Nick Nack look into the TVs
    - Bond uses a Sony radio transmitter

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    It makes me itch to see Dan doing a proper adaptation of TMWTGG, but that time has passed. Maybe we'll get a YOLT out of him yet, though.
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.

Darn toortin', Sir. Near perfect films they are, and my top three films as well.
    I thought others might also include dr no and goldfinger at the very least
    I thought others might also include dr no and goldfinger at the very least

I think DN and GF wouldn't be far behind, but those three are definitely king, which we'll see in our Bond film poll very soon as the final ranking of the forum is revealed.
    Dr No

I still feel that this is the only Bond film that has Bond as the star. Some films come close (FRWL, CR) but Bond as a character really shines here. From the way Bond offers his lighter to M, to hiding his face from the camera at the airport, these little mannerisms add to the refined Bond that is portrayed on screen by Young and Connery.

Being the first film, they did well with the constrained budget, with some elaborate set pieces from Adam and solid script that follows the book reasonably closely. The dinner scene is excellent, Quarrel is a good ally who if I had one complaint about the film, Bond treats like shit. The great thing about being the first film is that it has nothing to prove, nothing to top, and no studio heads to interfere. Sure it's light on the action, stunts and spectacle, but Bond is just so effortlessly cool that he dominates the screen.

What many other reviews don't mention are the Moneypenny scenes. This one is brief but you can feel the chemistry instantly. I don't know what the general consensus is but this would be among the best Moneypenny scenes (my favourite is OHMSS).

While a Barry score would have elevated the film even higher, the tropical music lets us soak up the atmosphere of Jamaica and is one of the few films that utilises its locations well.

2016 Bondathon (2015 brackets) [relative score/74]
    1. OHMSS (5) [66]
    2. CR (3) [42]
    3. DN (10) [41]
    4. TSWLM (8) [35.5]
    5. OP (2) [34]
    6. TMWTGG (17) [28]
    7. LTK (13) [10]

Notes
    - Still conflicted about the placing of Octopussy. The poor use of locations and cinematography has really hurt it this time around. Also did not enjoy the score as much and may even end up being my least favourite Barry score (after being my favourite for a while)
    - Dr No did not WOW me as much as last year, but I still love the attention to detail
    - I may not have 6 Bond's represented in the top 6 anymore...
    - LTK is really faring poorly here isn't it? It's not that I dislike the film, but apart from the action it doesn't compare well on other Bond elements.

"We've been expecting you" - Megaphone mouth

Sony
    No product placement back in 1962!
  • @w2bond 'Quarrel is a good ally who if I had one complaint about the film, Bond treats like shit'

Come on that not's true. Bond treats him with respect, not overly mocking him for his belief in a dragon. Asks Quarrel what they should with 'her' now her boat has been destroyed. He's visibly upset when he's killed.

Especially with the fetch my shoes line, it has to be remembered that Bond is Quarell's superior. Quarell is a fisherman helping out Bond and Leiter. Of course Bond is going to be giving orders - he's the one in charge.
    'Quarrel is a good ally who if I had one complaint about the film, Bond treats like shit'

Come on that not's true. Bond treats him with respect, not overly mocking him for his belief in a dragon. Asks Quarrel what they should with 'her' now her boat has been destroyed. He's visibly upset when he's killed.

Especially with the fetch my shoes line, it has to be remembered that Bond is Quarell's superior. Quarell is a fisherman helping out Bond and Leiter. Of course Bond is going to be giving orders - he's the one in charge.

That's a nice way to look at it. He does offer to go to Crab Key without Quarrel who only comes because he uses his senses for direction.

And to be fair to the Bond/Quarrel relationship, Bond isn't overly nice in the film. A few softly spoken "Thank yous" and many "FINE!" as if the other person owes him something.
  • w2bond wrote: »

And to be fair to the Bond/Quarrel relationship, Bond isn't overly nice in the film. A few softly spoken "Thank yous" and many "FINE!" as if the other person owes him something.

Yes I noticed that the last time I watched it, but I believe this is just how men spoke in those days, rather than Bond being rude. For example people used to say 'will you' at the end of making a request.You hear Bond say that several times. As in 'cash these chips in for me will you'.

I never hear that now and to modern ears it sounds slightly rude. But back then it wasn't rude at all. There was expected to be more respect and deference.
    I think Bond and Quarrel have a great dynamic, second only to Kerim in that era. They look out for each other and it shows in how they work together and address each other. Bond doesn't demean Quarrel, a man who grows to like Bond's company and who he calls "Captain" in a playful way.

Bond's care for Quarrel and his respect for him as a man is clear. The anger in his eyes when Quarrel dies is more than apparent, just as it was with Kerim in the film thereafter. This rage shines at the dinner with Dr. No, when the doctor brings up the fact that Bond would've made a good SPECTRE agent:

Dr. No: [to Bond] I was curious to see what kind of man you were. I thought there may be even a place for you with SPECTRE.

James Bond: I'm flattered. I'd prefer the Revenge department. Of course, my first job would be finding the man who killed Strangways and Quarrel.

When it comes to Bond's fellow guard, whether they're a professional in the field like Strangways or a civilian ally like Quarrel, there is no distinction to him when a line is crossed and they are harmed. Bond can be very "eye for an eye" when his friends or colleagues die at the hands of another, and sees it as both a duty and a personal mission to bring justice to the perpetrator for what they've done.

DN is as great an example of this as any in the franchise.
    Diamonds are Forever

Fleming would be turning over in his grave if the dead cared about it. It wouldn't be controversial to say that this is the worst drop in quality in the whole series and I wouldn't need to argue that Diamonds is the worst Bond film quality wise - no-one is trying here. However, this quirky entry has always been a guilty pleasure - the script and characters are hilarious and there is another phenomenal effort from Barry without which the film is easily a D-movie. It used to rank high on my list, but I've realised there are many better entries so it will still rank well in the middle of the pack

2016 Bondathon (2015 brackets) [relative score/79]
    1. OHMSS (5) [71.5]
    2. CR (3) [45.5]
    3. DN (10) [44]
    4. TSWLM (8) [39]
    5. OP (2) [40.5]
    6. DAF (12) [27.5]
    6. TMWTGG (17) [31]
    7. LTK (13) [10] [14]

Notes
    - The rank and the scores are starting to become misaligned due to the personal "tilt" factor

None. Blofeld expects Bond at the Whyte House but he doesn't say the words

Sony
    None

Next up is Quantum of Solace which I expect will sit at the bottom. Apart from the car chase and the score, there is nothing I particularly enjoy
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    That was a high drop in quality, much like TSWLM-MR, FYEO-OP or LTK-GE.
    That was a high drop in quality, much like TSWLM-MR, FYEO-OP or LTK-GE.

Rankings generally still rate GE highly, the other two are more unanimous but definitely not as big of a drop from OHMSS to DAF.

Personally TMSWM > MR (not by much), OP > FYEO, GE > LTK

It's brutal to watch DAF after OHMSS, almost unfair, even. There's no going from OHMSS with the potential or that ending to DAF and being through the moon happy with things.

I find that it's often best to watch DAF as an almost out of sequence Bond film with no place in the timeline, as viewing it next to OHMSS in both quality and context does it no favors.

I look forward to an upcoming chronological Bondathon, if only to see how I feel about it now, after having avoided it for a long time after a few viewings.
    It's brutal to watch DAF after OHMSS, almost unfair, even. There's no going from OHMSS with the potential or that ending to DAF and being through the moon happy with things.

That's why SP haters (me included) really need some perspective and realise it's not the first time the series has disappointed with a follow up - SF-SP isn't even in the top 5 "worst 2 consecutive Bond movies". Someone here pointed out the Bond and MP exchange includes the "diamond....in a ring?" line which is the biggest insult to Tracy, Bond, and Fleming himself.

However...
    ...watch...out of sequence Bond film with no place in the timeline

I look forward to an upcoming chronological Bondathon, if only to see how I feel about it now, after having avoided it for a long time after a few viewings.

That's exactly why I'm doing this Bondathon in random order. A mix of eras, decades, directors and styles. Last year I did it chronologically and the pacing of the early movies gets tiresome after sitting through a few.

I expect Thunderball to rate more highly - it's a film I love....if not for the pacing.

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    DAF isn't the greatest entry by any means, but it has some great moments, mainly on the dialogue front. It's a film that's greater than the sum of its parts on account of the interactions between characters and the quirkiness of the whole thing, which truly is a Hamilton trait. I enjoy TMWTGG & LALD for similar reasons.
    OHMSS is a standalone Bond film. DAF is best viewed after YOLT.
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    Indeed. In the PTS of DAF Bond is in Japan. So naturally, without seeing or heard of Majesty's when I was a nipper, I just thought they were carrying on with the YOLT angle.

Perhaps, in that light, Majesty's is a prequel to Spy, FYEO and the Dalton films....
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    edited September 2016 Posts: 5,080
    DIE ANOTHER DAY

To make this easier, here's what I like about Die Another Day-
    --The PTS- Apart from some dodgy CG shots, I can't really fault the PTS. Brosnan's era excels when it comes to PTSs. I also love how it transitions into the titles. I've come to appreciate Madonna's effort, and I like how it incorporates shots of Bond being tortured.
    -Bond in Havana (bar Jinx's intro and subsequent dialogue). Some nice cues from Arnold here. I love Raoul's little chuckle when Bond asks for a car (great character, too). I also like the action at Los Organas (even Jinx's "artists are only really appreciated once they are dead" quip).
    --London's Calling and Graves' intro
    --The sword fight- a bit OTT, but it is exceptionally choreographed.
    --Miranda Frost- A tad underused, but the best character in the film.
    --Car chase in Iceland- beautifully filmed, great action. See what you can do with less CGI?
    --A bit controversial, but I like Jinx's and Miranda's fight on the cargo plane.
    --I know it's silly, but Moneypenny using the VR glasses never fails to make me smile.

It's not moving anywhere beyond 24th place, but this was a slightly more enjoyable viewing than usual.

MayDay's Summer 2016 Bondathon:-

-Dr. No (1962)
    Inside Dr. No
    -From Russia with Love (1963)
    Inside From Russia with Love
    -Goldfinger (1964)
    The Making of Goldfinger
    -Thunderball (1965)
    The Making of Thunderball
    -You Only Live Twice (1967)
    Inside You Only Live Twice
    -On Her Majesty's Secret Service (1969)
    Inside On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    -Diamonds Are Forever (1971)
    Inside Diamonds Are Forever
    -Live and Let Die (1973)
    Inside Live and Let Die
    -The Man with the Golden Gun (1974)
    Inside The Man with the Golden Gun
    -The Spy Who Loved Me (1977)
    Inside The Spy Who Loved Me
    -Moonraker (1979)
    Inside Moonraker
    -For Your Eyes Only (1981)
    Inside For Your Eyes Only
    -Octopussy (1983)
    Inside Octopussy
    -A View to a Kill (1985)
    Inside A View to a Kill
    -The Living Daylights (1987)
    Inside The Living Daylights
    -Licence to Kill (1989)
    Inside Licence to Kill
    -Goldeneye (1995)
    -Tomorrow Never Dies (1997)
    -The World is not Enough (1999)
    -Die Another Day (2002)

Rank order-
    -THE SPY WHO LOVED ME
    -ON HER MAJESTY'S SECRET SERVICE
    -FOR YOUR EYES ONLY
    -FROM RUSSIA WITH LOVE
    -GOLDFINGER
    -THE LIVING DAYLIGHTS
    -LICENCE TO KILL
    -OCTOPUSSY
    -A VIEW TO A KILL
    -DIAMONDS ARE FOREVER
    -LIVE AND LET DIE
    -MOONRAKER
    -THUNDERBALL
    -THE MAN WITH THE GOLDEN GUN
    -YOU ONLY LIVE TWICE
    -DR. NO
    -TOMORROW NEVER DIES
    -GOLDENEYE
    -THE WORLD IS NOT ENOUGH
    -DIE ANOTHER DAY
    The transition from pts to mts is one of the few good things about DAD. The rest of your list is questionable.
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    CASINO ROYALE

It's always quite a shock to the system when watching CASINO ROYALE after DIE ANOTHER DAY. Simply put, this is undeniably one of the best Bond films. I don't think I can go on any longer denying ROYALE a place in my top six, it's just too darned good. It looses a bit of steam once Le Chiffre pops his clogs, but it is pretty much perfect throughout. Nice to return to a film that engages and keeps me enthralled.

MayDay's Summer 2016 Bondathon:-

-Dr. No (1962)
    Inside Dr. No
    -From Russia with Love (1963)
    Inside From Russia with Love
    -Goldfinger (1964)
    The Making of Goldfinger
    -Thunderball (1965)
    The Making of Thunderball
    -You Only Live Twice (1967)
    Inside You Only Live Twice
    -On Her Majesty's Secret Service (1969)
    Inside On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    -Diamonds Are Forever (1971)
    Inside Diamonds Are Forever
    -Live and Let Die (1973)
    Inside Live and Let Die
    -The Man with the Golden Gun (1974)
    Inside The Man with the Golden Gun
    -The Spy Who Loved Me (1977)
    Inside The Spy Who Loved Me
    -Moonraker (1979)
    Inside Moonraker
    -For Your Eyes Only (1981)
    Inside For Your Eyes Only
    -Octopussy (1983)
    Inside Octopussy
    -A View to a Kill (1985)
    Inside A View to a Kill
    -The Living Daylights (1987)
    Inside The Living Daylights
    -Licence to Kill (1989)
    Inside Licence to Kill
    -Goldeneye (1995)
    -Tomorrow Never Dies (1997)
    -The World is not Enough (1999)
    -Die Another Day (2002)
    -Casino Royale (2006)

Rank order-
    -THE SPY WHO LOVED ME
    -ON HER MAJESTY'S SECRET SERVICE
    -FOR YOUR EYES ONLY
    -FROM RUSSIA WITH LOVE
    -GOLDFINGER
    -CASINO ROYALE
    -THE LIVING DAYLIGHTS
    -LICENCE TO KILL
    -OCTOPUSSY
    -A VIEW TO A KILL
    -DIAMONDS ARE FOREVER
    -LIVE AND LET DIE
    -MOONRAKER
    -THUNDERBALL
    -THE MAN WITH THE GOLDEN GUN
    -YOU ONLY LIVE TWICE
    -DR. NO
    -TOMORROW NEVER DIES
    -GOLDENEYE
    -THE WORLD IS NOT ENOUGH
    -DIE ANOTHER DAY
  • edited October 2016 Posts: 3,336
    Brilliant top 6. Same as mine, may i add :)
    In a different order though.