Jack Reacher

Comments

mtm wrote: »
    I hope it’s better than Jack Ryan: that is utter dreck (I still watched it though!).

I thought the movies would be crap but caught the first one relatively recently and was pretty blown away by how well done it was: I loved how it felt like a 70s thriller. The sequel was utterly nothing though- McQuarrie is the key.

I still hope Eon nab him eventually

I only have seen the first one I plan on watching both of them maybe this year as after the long franchises of last year I kind of want a break for some 2-3 film franchises
    They are both well made movies that certainly have a seventies feeling and even if Cruise is not my vision of Jack Reacher he still offered more than decent movies. Not sure if a tv series would be an improvement.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Risico007 wrote: »
    mtm wrote: »
    I hope it’s better than Jack Ryan: that is utter dreck (I still watched it though!).

I thought the movies would be crap but caught the first one relatively recently and was pretty blown away by how well done it was: I loved how it felt like a 70s thriller. The sequel was utterly nothing though- McQuarrie is the key.

I still hope Eon nab him eventually

That would be great but I think he's likely to stay loyal to his own spy series.

Old news already but certainly a blow for quite few people.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited June 2020 Posts: 4,416
    DMU1.png

For € 2,99 i bought second print from 2019 of the 20th novel ''Daag Me Uit''. Original English title: Make Me. On the back a preview of the cover of the 24th novel Blauwe Maan (Blue Moon).

Offical first Dutch release was in 2015 and that mean that there release four novels in four years after this that's quike.
  • Chris McQuarrie On what a third reacher movie might have looked like https://screenrant.com/jack-reacher-3-christopher-mcquarrie-tom-cruise-sequel/
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    A more adult version does seem to make sense.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    Today at to my collection the 18th novel ''Ga Nooit Terug'' the Dutch version of Never Go Back.

IMG-20201115-140924.jpg

Reprint from 2020 with also on the back a preview of the cover of the 24th novel Blauwe Maan (Blue Moon)
  • cast list for the tv show https://www.cinemablend.com/television/2564851/amazons-jack-reacher-tv-show-an-updated-cast-list . starts filming at the end of the month
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Hopefully it's good. I enjoyed the films, even though I've heard they weren't overly loyal in some ways to the source material book series.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Hopefully it's good. I enjoyed the films, even though I've heard they weren't overly loyal in some ways to the source material book series.

Jack Reacher was pretty faithful to One Shot from what I remember of both. The choice to use Never Go Back as the basis for a sequel was a strange one for me, as I thought the respective novel was not very good. Plodding and convoluted. The last few Reacher books, actually, have generally been below par which is disappointing.

I'm excited for the series. All the signs so far are positive. Plus, I can't imagine Amazon skimping on the budget. A big part of the appeal of the books was the descriptions of the bone-crunching violence (which the first film captured very well), so hopefully they provide us with some nice fights.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    I think the first Jack Reacher was good, not overally keen on Never Go Back the direction was a bit flat for me, not as inventive as the first film.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited April 2021 Posts: 14,861
    I think the first Jack Reacher was good, not overally keen on Never Go Back the direction was a bit flat for me, not as inventive as the first film.

Yes, the first one is brilliant, just a great sort of Dirty Harry-style thriller with a really satisfying plot and a few nicely surprising jokes. The second one is really flat and feels like a TV movie in comparison- feels strange to have Cruise in such an ordinary film.

Cruise’s hair also changes length wildly throughout Never Go Back, so obviously it needed lots of reshoots to make it even that good. (I think I tried to work out why: was he shooting American Made after that?)
  • American Made came out about a year after Never Go Back. Must admit i never noticed the hair thing, must've been distracted by Cobie Smulders
    edited April 2021 Posts: 8,009
    American Made had quite an extended shooting schedule, for various reasons (including a plane crash near the set in Columbia). They started filming in 2015 and shot over eighteen months, so there likely was some overlap with the Reacher film that messed with Cruise's hair continuity.

Never Go Back was the first time I noticed that Cruise was finally starting to visibly age. He looked tired and bored. There was a sharpness to him in the first film that wasn't present in the sequel. Throw in the fact that the source material wasn't great and you have yourself something very pedestrian.
    must've been distracted by Cobie Smulders

She was probably the best thing about it.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    American Made came out about a year after Never Go Back. Must admit i never noticed the hair thing, must've been distracted by Cobie Smulders

Yeah it's quite distracting once you've noticed it. Especially as he has a really good haircut and then suddenly his hair just looks terrible. There's a big fight scene featuring him against about five or six guys in a dark warehouse towards the end of the film, and his hair is suddenly terrible in that, so they must've decided that there hadn't been enough Reacher-style big fights and added that one in.
  • Reacher TV series trailer
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    That looks very satisfying.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited December 2021 Posts: 14,861
    I'm sure I'll watch it, but it does look like a sort of cheap version of the films, doesn't it? I'm sure this guy matches the physical description from the books better but he doesn't seem to be a match for Cruise in the screen power stakes.
    Is this another adaption of One Shot or are the books all very similar?
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    I had no idea there was a Reacher TV series coming out. That's promising.

Make Me, the book, is one of my favorites. Very well done, slow burner, great set pieces, effective atmosphere.
    Looks great, to be honest. I heard they are adapting Killing Floor for the first season, however I wonder if Amazon will do something similar to what they did with Bosch and draw in plotlines from other novels.

New guy looks good. I doubt he'll bring the same kind of subtle energy that Cruise did, but as long as he captures some of that calculating viciousness to go along with his sheer size, he'll do okay. He does have that longer format to make it more his own as opposed to a two-hour runtime, so hopefully he pulls it off.
    the blonde looks cute but beyond that meh
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited December 2021 Posts: 12,459
    Finally got the physique right! I never watched Cruise as Reacher; I just couldn't make myself. I've read all the books.

I am not 100% sold yet, from just this trailer, on him having the right ... tone/attitude/charisma. Just need to see more. But a huge improvement over the look the character had in the movies. So I hope this is well done and I'm glad it's being made.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Finally got the physique right! I never watched Cruise as Reacher; I just couldn't make myself. I've read all the books.

The first one is a terrific movie, you're missing out.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I agree. I did enjoy the first movie quite a lot. I still have yet to see the other.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Murdock wrote: »
    I agree. I did enjoy the first movie quite a lot. I still have yet to see the other.

The second is nothing special, you’re not missing out there :)
  • edited December 2021 Posts: 17,241
    If someone had told me years ago that the guy who played Thad Castle in Blue Mountain State (which also featured Denise Richards) would end up playing Jack Reacher, I wouldn't have believed them!

That being said, they could have done a lot worse than casting Alan Ritchson as Jack Reacher.
  • RyanRyan Canada
    Looks good to me. I enjoyed both films (the first is truly fantastic), but I've never read the books.