Jack Reacher

Comments

• JakeDelToroJakeDelToro Universal Exports
    I agree, coming to the series in the way I have has definitely had an impact. Had I read the books first I'm in no doubt that I would have felt a little more negatively towards the film.
    Have not read the books but i do have to say that i quite enjoyed the film. Are they planning a sequel? Will Cruise take the lead role again?
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited November 2013 Posts: 13,350
    RogueAgent wrote:
    Have not read the books but i do have to say that i quite enjoyed the film. Are they planning a sequel? Will Cruise take the lead role again?

Yes and yes @RogueAgent.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    You can read a bit more on the previous page. :)
  • I totally agree that Tom Cruise, though he did a decent job, never had me making the connection between his character and the Jack Reacher I know from the books ! For me, they are two totally different persons !

Hugh Jackman would have been much better !

Daniel Craig could'nt do Bond and Reacher at the same time, and is definitely too small. The whole thing about Reacher in the books is that he really frightens people, even the badest of bad guys !

Samuel001 wrote:
    RogueAgent wrote:

Yes and yes @RogueAgent.

Cool! Cheer's Samuel! Not been on much lately as moved house and everything been upside down! Just got internet back on so way behind with all the latest goings on! 8-}
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    A sequel to 'Jack Reacher' is happening, which will be based off of Childs' novel 'Never Go Back':

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=112263
    Oh well - Never Go Back is the very newest one! Bit surprised ... but I guess that may make sense. It can certainly be a standlone, with a little bit of background provided (or none if they change a lot of the story). But there is a 3 or even 4 book arc culminating with Never Go Back, so that means that they are not going to do follow that too much, certainly obviously not in order. Can still be okay. It could incorporate different things from the last few books. I enjoyed this one (Never Go Back) actually more than some of the last few. Interesting.

If they would only recast Reacher I would then be truly excited about it. Because I do love the character.
    Does 'Never Go Back' include a teenage sidekick? I kept spotting an article yesterday talking about one possibly joining the film, but I didn't read into it.
    edited December 2013 Posts: 12,459
    @Creasy47, not a sidekick, no. A teenage girl is a semi-minor character in it but is in no way a sidekick.

Reacher is truly a loner. He usually finds an ally, or two, in his adventures, and moves on. There is no consistent sidekick.

That is odd; I just wrote quite a bit more and when I went to post it didn't happen and also no draft was saved.

Briefly, here is a link I just found and it is all pure speculation.
    http://www.slashfilm.com/will-the-jack-reacher-sequel-feature-a-smart-female-teen-sidekick/
    It is something I could see Hollywood doing, changing the character completely, to bring in teens and younger guys. Yuk.
    I hope it is not true. But I am not a Cruise as Reacher fan so I cannot get 100% excited about the film anyway.
    @4EverBonded, that's the link I was talking about. Couldn't remember where I saw it at, I just saw the headline and asked the question here.
  • - jack reacher - you know my name
  • for me the reacher movie was in terms of films the surprise of 2013(i was a bit late to watching it) , the man who never seems to age (tom cruise )made a surprisingly good reacher and hopefully he will be only the first actor to play reacher . Bond may finally have a worthy rival. (apologies for any spelling mistakes i was slightly drunk at the time of writing.)
  • edited January 2014 Posts: 11,189
    Just nearing the end of Trip Wire (the one in the World Trade Center). So far an ok read but not as compelling as Die Trying.

I wish Child would stop using the word "guy" repeatedly too. It's a slang expression that doesn't sound good on the written page.
    Ah, Trip Wire is one of the few I have not read! I need to order it; thanks for the reminder. Some books are better than others, sure.
    I never minded the word "guy" as it is part of my world, past and present. Just casual English, really. I'm glad Lee Child writes one Reacher book a year, pretty much; it is always a treat to read a Jack Reacher story. The most recent one was good, too.

As you reading them in order, @BAIN123?
    I've got the first few. Started with Die Trying and am working my way through. Will go back and read the very first in due course.
    edited January 2014 Posts: 12,459
    Good for you. I've always skipped around; it does not seem to matter much.
    There is a continuing story arc within the most recent, the last 4 books. But again, you could read a Reacher story at any point. I am sure I mentioned earlier, but my very favorite is Gone Tomorrow. I think Child had his best writing in that one.
  • the title of the next book : Personal. that's all there is at the minute no synopsis or cover art yet.

I thought this was Child's first one word title, but ages ago there was Tripwire.
    No matter what they call it, I will enjoy it. I do like the Reacher stories a lot.
  • edited March 2014 Posts: 503
    Someone has taken a long-range shot at the French president and Reacher is the one man who can find him. This time, it’s PERSONAL.
  • edited February 2014 Posts: 503
  • edited February 2014 Posts: 12,837
    Ooh, so it's set in France? This is exciting as he never seems to go outside of America (the only instance I can think of is in The Hard Way when he goes to Norfolk).
    edited February 2014 Posts: 12,459
    The next film or his next book? I am tired and probably confused ...

oh wait, that is the title of the next book. it is just called Personal. Okay then.
    Well Reacher's mom was French.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Book, I believe.
  • If the fictional French President is anything like the current one I would look for a woman.
    I have read one Childs book, and I was surprised to see that in the book Reacher is over six feet fall and weights 220 pounds.
    How did they get off on casting Tom Cruise in this part? Denzil Washington would have been closer.
    Aside from that I had no problems with Cruise in the part. I saw the movie before I read the book though.
    edited February 2014 Posts: 12,459
    I could have probably enjoyed the film if I had never read the books.
    But yeah, I have read almost all of them. I still think Hugh Jackman would have been perfect. They were dead wrong casting Cruise. Alas; and it will continue with him for a while apparently.

I just briefly checked out the link, @valentinzukovsky, thanks. And on Child's FB page, people are commenting how Cruise is not right and suggesting others. Lee Child has supported Cruise all the way. I am sure he is happy just to be making the films; I can hardly fathom that he thinks Cruise is the epitome of portrayal of his longstanding (huge and physical) character. Someone there suggested Jim Caviezel; not a bad choice. I think Jackman is taller though and muscles up very well.
  • a sneaky peak of the next book has been posted on lee child's website. it'll also be in paperback versions of never go back .

http://www.leechild.com/books/personal.php
    i won't say anything about it apart from the fact it's in first person .
  • my attempt at a poster for the movie version of never go back , i don't have Photoshop so it's the best i can do currently.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/122365975@N06/13631311343/