• Khan's Khurrywurst Sauce

3/4 cup Heinz ketchup
    3/4 T. curry powder
    3/4 T. hot paprika
    1/2 T. onion powder
    1/2 t. garlic powder
    1 T. rice wine vinegar
    1 T. riesling

1. Combine all ingredients in a saucepan and bring to a low simmer.
    2. Cook, uncovered, until sauce reduces to a consistency no thicker than ketchup.
    3. Serve over grilled wurst that has been sliced into 1/2 inch rounds.
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    Great @Perilagu_Khan! It sounds delicious. You are very specific about the ketchup brand, while it is also my favourite I heard many time that the cheaper the keptchup the better the currywurst sauce. I've never made the sauce myself though, so I can't comment.
  • Could be, Sandy. Personally, I prefer Heinz to other ketchups because it tends to be spicier and less sweet. But there's no reason you couldn't go cheap.
  • edited November 2013 Posts: 3,494
    I will extend discussion of bacon until tomorrow, when it's time to move on to the bagel, on which of course bacon can accompany. I have so many dishes that use bacon and I realize that it's very versatile and we could spend weeks talking about it. I was very happy to get the responses. Now with my special thanks to @Sandy and @PerilaguKhan's mention of an Alsatian dish, my family rediscovered flammkuchen and it seems some of us will also be trying it out and that's the input I wanted when I started this. Hopefully everyone learned from me how tasty bacon fat can be as a base to replace butter and oils, and it will help you make your dishes even better :)
    Bagels

The bagel is a bread product, traditionally shaped by hand into the form of a ring from yeasted wheat dough, roughly hand-sized, which is first boiled for a short time in water and then baked. The result is a dense, chewy, doughy interior with a browned and sometimes crisp exterior. Bagels are often topped with seeds baked on the outer crust, with the traditional ones being poppy or sesame seeds. Some also may have salt sprinkled on their surface, and there are also a number of different dough types such as whole-grain or rye.

The bagel was invented in Poland and was first popular there and in other Slavic language countries. In England, they are known as "beigels". They were first brought to the United States by Polish Jewish immigrants via New York City, and are now considered to be a quintessential food of that city.

Varieties

The two most prominent styles of traditional bagel in North America are the Montreal-style bagel and the New York-style bagel. The Montreal bagel contains malt and sugar with no salt; it is boiled in honey-sweetened water before baking in a wood-fired oven; and it is predominantly either of the poppy "black" or sesame "white" seeds variety. The New York bagel contains salt and malt and is boiled in water prior to baking in a standard oven. The resulting New York bagel is puffy with a moist crust, while the Montreal bagel is smaller (though with a larger hole), crunchier, and sweeter.

Chicago-style bagels are either oven baked or sometimes steamed.

Bagels Around The World

In Russia, Belarus, and the Ukraine, the bublik is essentially a much larger bagel, but have a wider hole, and are drier and chewier Other ring-shaped breads known among East Slavs are baranki (smaller and drier) and sushki (even smaller and drier).

In Lithuania, bagels are called riestainiai, and sometimes by their Slavic name baronkos.

In Finland, vesirinkeli are small rings of yeast-leavened wheat bread. They are placed in salted boiling water before being baked. They are often eaten for breakfast toasted and buttered. They are available in several different varieties (sweet or savoury) in supermarkets.

The Uyghurs of Xinjiang, China, enjoy a form of bagel known as girdeh nan (from Persian, meaning round bread), which is one of several types of nan, the bread eaten in Xinjiang.

In Turkey, a salty and fattier form is called açma. However, the ring-shaped simit, is sometimes marketed as Turkish bagel.

In some parts of Austria, ring-shaped pastries called Beugel are sold in the weeks before Easter. Like a bagel, the yeasted wheat dough, usually flavored with caraway, is boiled before baking. However, the Beugel is crispy and can be stored for weeks. Traditionally it has to be torn apart by two individuals before eating.

In Poland, bagels are sold in the bakery in Kielce's Market Square and are well known in the city. Polish bagels are usually sold with sesame and poppy seeds.

In Romania, bagels are popular topped with poppy, sesame seeds or large salt grains, especially in the central area of the country, and the recipe does not contain any added sweetener. They are named covrigi.

In Japan, the first kosher bagels were brought by BagelK from New York in 1989. BagelK created green tea, chocolate, maple-nut, and banana-nut flavors for the market in Japan. There are three million bagels exported from the U.S. annually, and it has a 4%-of-duty classification of Japan in 2000. Some Japanese bagels are sweet; the orthodox kosher bagels are the same as in the U.S.

While normally and traditionally made of yeasted wheat, in the late 20th century many variations on the bagel flourished. Non-traditional versions which change the dough recipe include pumpernickel, rye, sourdough, bran, whole wheat, and multigrain. Other variations change the flavor of the dough, often using blueberry, salt, onion, garlic, egg, cinnamon, raisin, chocolate chip, cheese, or some combination of the above.

Bagels are an item bought weekly for my home and make many an anytime type of meal. For breakfast, my son Alex and I love a bagel with steak, egg, fried onions, and orange Cheddar cheese. Sometimes we will substitute regular bacon or a type of ham called "Canadian bacon" for the steak, depending on available meats in the fridge or freezer. We must have meat with our egg and cheese! My daughter loves her morning bagel with Philadelphia style cream cheese only, whereas my son loves his cream cheese bagel even better if I've found him some lox, which is Jewish style smoked salmon. He is nuts about salmon in general, but that's another story. For a quick and filling snack, I make pizza bagels with sauce and shredded Mozzarella and bake them in the oven for all three of us. We will also use leftover taco meat and a Mexican cheese blend and make taco bagels the same way as pizza bagels. Sometimes the kids want pizza or taco bagels for dinner, when they do, I don't argue. It's plain or egg bagels for them, for myself I love an toasted onion flavored bagel.

So how do you like your bagel?
  • Love bagels. Unfortunately, the labor-intensive, old fashioned bagels Jews used to make are almost a thing of the past. Even in New York. Or so I hear. People who care about such things inform me that modern standards are low and undemanding, thus there is no real reason for deli bakers to expend the time and effort making truly high quality bagels.
    I'm afraid I'm not going to contribute much towards the Bagel subject. The first bagel I ever had was, fittingly, in New York. In fact I don't think I ever ate bagels outside of the US!? Well, I must confess it's not my favourite type of bread but I never seem to be able to find reasonable bread in America for some reason so I just go with the bagels and call it a day. I agree with your daughter @SirHenryLeeChaChing, I like them with Philadelphia cheese. However, with honey ham and cheddar cheese they are very nice as well. Never tried them with smoked salmon but I'm sure I would love it as I am a lover of all sorts of smoked/dried/cured fish.
    I have never tried making them myself but I might try one of these days. Anyone with a recipe?
  • IMO, the great American bread is real San Franciscan sourdough, Sandy. Do try it if ever you get the chance. I would agree, however, that bread-making is not an American strength.
  • @Sandy- you already contributed by recommending a bagel with Philly cream cheese or with honey ham and cheddar cheese :) Also, if you go on the internet there are numerous recipes and videos on YouTube that will teach you how to do homemade bagels.

As far as no one making old fashioned bagels anymore as a real labor of love, from what I hear this is not entirely the case. Mostly I would say yes, but you just have to know where to go. I lived in the Hell's Kitchen section of Manhattan for a year in the early 1980's and have been to bagel shops that have been making them the same way for hundreds of years. Not mass produced like Lender's, not chains like Manhattan and Einstein, but small family owned stores where they have to compete to survive. Oh yes, there is indeed a difference. My best friend, my adopted second brother, and best man Ed is half Jewish from his mother and lived in the Canarsie section of Brooklyn until he was 11. He was back there a year ago when Grandmom Frieda passed away and said the same Jewish store his family got their bagels from is still there and they are as good and high quality as they ever were. I just don't believe that when it comes to New York, that's like saying you can't get a proper cheesesteak in Philly. I'll bet there are still great bagel shops in parts of Philly. A hot, soft, fluffy handmade bagel is a very big deal anywhere there is a significant Jewish population.

We will get into a type of bread called a baguette in a day or two, a type of French bread that I use to cook with as well as eat as is, but I have a feeling that @4EverHungry and others will have something to say about bagels, such a universally loved foodstuff :)

• 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Bagel, anybody? Well, I enjoy them with:

not toasted - smoked salmon, capers, and cream cheese
    just lightly toasted with melted cheese
    just lightly toasted with fresh butter
    lightly toasted with fresh sliced tomatoes sprinkled with a bit of salt and pepper, olive oil and mozzarella
    not toasted - with cream cheese, honey, walnut spread

We had a good bagel shop here called "Bagel, Bagel" (yes, a hard one to remember, eh? Plus the Japanese love repeating words or sounds). It closed a couple of months ago. :o3

I have no bagel outlet now. :-?? And I definitely won't try to make them at home.

To be honest, I do enjoy bagels but as at least part of a good bagel has some firm or hardness to it, that makes it not my favorite kind of bread. But I enjoy them, or used to, a few times a month. My favorite breads (Ok "Breads" starts with "B"!) are: croissant, baguette (yay - soon!), rye, pumpernickel, and good ole southern buttermilk biscuits. Yum! (Oh - biscuits starts with "B"!) :D
    Hai Hai 4Ever-san! Bagels are so good. Baguettes too, I've got uses for those guaranteed to please. Oh, and my rosemary or my Red Lobster style Cheddar Bay biscuits too :). Just one more hour then home to make spicy Jack Daniels BBQ spare ribs and a sweet potato/corn hash with a little drizzle of maple syrup before they finish. If you ever look at a good menu, you almost always see savory and the sweet, the spicy and the mild, a contrasting side makes the main part of the dish just that much better.
    I just eat what is put in front of me, honestly.

Well, okay, I do like to cook so a bit more goes into that most of the time. ;)

I want your Cheddar Bay biscuit recipe for sure! I will attempt it some long weekend here. And when I can borrow a friend's oven.
    Dinner was WINNING! And leftovers for lunch. Sir Henry is a full and happy camper :)
    I made Flammkuchen for dinner yesterday, it was delicious. I mean, it's about as easy as it can be with bought dough. Obviously it was too much for me, the good news is that it keeps very well in the fridge :D That makes us two happy campers @SirHenryLeeChaChing.
    @Sandy, I have a very strong request from Alex and my brother to make them the savory classic Alsatian Flammkuchen next Wednesday, the day before Thanksgiving. It sounds very easy and I am excited to try it! I also have to bake the spinach casserole that night so nothing interferes with getting the turkey in the oven on Thursday morning, and make my German cucumber salad so that it marinates all night in the refrigerator and gets happy.

Speaking of Germans, I've slowly been getting a 3 part history of the Germans in Louisiana that finishes on Monday. Some significant culinary contributions to the Cajun and Creole culture are present, especially regarding sausages and adding beer as an ingredient. German Creoles and Cajuns adopted the trinity (onions, celery, bell pepper) and garlic into their old country dishes, which I can only imagine must be an improvement. And with the exception of the German Andouille sausage of today, (which was created in Louisiana and greatly differs from the Andouille used in French cuisine, more on that when we get to sausages of the world) it seems to be very typical of the German style, generally bland with a minimum of seasonings that "sticks to your ribs" and concentrates on organic and natural flavors. Hopefully I'll be able to test out and offer up some of those recipes for everyone to enjoy :)

Who else enjoys having brinner? I learned it from an episode on Scrubs.
    Last night I made myself eggs with sausages, bread, pancakes and wine. It was different and I like it very much.
  • I'm not liking the idea of wine with breakfast. To each his own.
    Next up is the baguette. Quite simply, a baguette is simply a long thin loaf of French bread.

I have the baker use a machine to slice my baguette. Then I put butter and garlic on the slices, toast in the oven like garlic bread until just crispy, and serve topped with prosciutto and fresh mozzarella as an appetizer. This always went over really well whenever we had a dinner party or family gathering.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    Ah, le Baguette. Sliced we eat them indeed as an appetizer, topped with aioli or tappenade (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tapenade)
    Also we use slices of baguette as dipping bread for cheese fondue..

And finally I myself used baguettes as cheep dinner. Cut the baguette in lengths of about 20 to 30 centimetres ( about a foot long) and then cut those slices horizontally through the middle. Put some pineapple slices on top and cover them with cheese (again I'd recommend Dutch cheeze, amazingly). Put that in the oven 'till the cheese melts. Top it off with whisky sauce and bon apetit!
  • @CommanderRoss- oh yes, these are great for fondue and aioli dipping, good call :)
    La Baguette! Its shape is in the name which means, literally, stick. What is the traditional French of eating it? Go to the bakery, buy your baguette, put it under your arm and walk home. Its size on arrival will be inversely proportional to the distance between the bakery and your home :D

I like to cut it by hand (the best way to know how a bread tastes because the metal blades tarnish the flavour) while it's warm and eat it simple or with good butter spread over it. With Leberwurst it's also great, as well as with my favourite spread, Portuguese sardine patê (no joking, it's delicious).
    Like @CommanderRoss I agree it is good for a cheep dinner, I like to put some cold ham and cheese (in generous amounts) in between and press it on a toast machine.
    When the bread is already a bit hard there is nothing better than making toasts with butter for breakfast (can you tell I love butter?).
    Well, butter starts with "B"! :)
    I love good butter, for sure, on toast, on fresh rye bread, and definitely on a baguette. I also really enjoy tearing hunks of fresh bread apart. I nearly always accompany bread with cheese. My new favorite is a washed cheese, so soft and gooey with a slight salty taste to the edible rind. Ah, warm bread with butter just melting in it is hard to beat.
    Ah, butter is on the list and so much more versatile than one would imagine. Next on the list, a American barbecue and camping favorite in baked beans.

Baked Beans

Baked beans is a dish containing beans, sometimes baked but, despite the name, usually stewed, in a sauce. Most commercial canned baked beans are made from navy beans in a sauce. In Ireland and the United Kingdom, a tomato and sugar sauce is most commonly used. They are commonly eaten on toast or as part of a full English breakfast.

In the United States there are multiple styles. Boston baked beans use a sauce prepared with molasses and salt pork, the popularity of which has led to the city being nicknamed "Beantown". Beans in a tomato and brown sugar, sugar or corn syrup sauce are a widely available type throughout the US. Maine and Quebec-style beans often use maple syrup.

Canned baked beans are used as a convenience food, shortening cooking times for a meal, or may be eaten straight from the can, in camping or emergency settings, as they are fully cooked. They are sometimes served with chips, waffles, or the like.

History

The beans presently used to make baked beans are all native to North America and were introduced to Italy in 1528 and to France by 1547. The dish of baked beans is commonly described as having a savory-sweet flavor and a brownish or reddish tinted white bean once baked, stewed, canned or otherwise cooked. According to alternative traditions, sailors brought cassoulet from the south of France or northern France and the Channel Islands where bean stews were popular. Most probably, a number of regional bean recipes coalesced and cross-fertilized in North America and ultimately gave rise to the baked bean culinary tradition familiar today.

While many recipes today are stewed, traditionally beans were slow baked in a ceramic or cast-iron beanpot. A tradition in Maine, USA, of "bean hole" cooking, may have originated with the native Penobscot people and was later practiced in logging camps. A fire would be made in a stone-lined pit, allowed to burn down to hot coals and then a pot with eleven pounds of seasoned beans would be placed in the ashes, covered over with dirt and left to cook overnight or longer. These beans were a staple of Maine's logging camps, being served at every meal.

Canned beans, often with pork, were among the first convenience foods and it is this form that they became exported and popularised by US companies operating in the UK in the early 20th century. The U.S. Food and Drug Administration stated in 1996 that "It has for years been recognized by consumers generally that the designation 'beans with pork,' or 'pork and beans' is the common or usual name for an article of commerce that contains very little pork." This is typically a piece of salt pork to add fat to the dish.

Around The World

In Iran, Loubia Garm (Hot Beans) is prepared using beans in a tomato sauce, often served in winter on stalls in streets.
    In Poland, with the addition of bacon and/or sausage these are known as Breton Beans.
    Jersey bean crock
    Boston baked beans
    Pork and beans, which despite the name often contain very little pork
    Guernsey Bean Jar
    Spanish Cocido Montañés
    French cassoulet
    Portuguese Feijoada
    Greek Fasolada soup and Fasolia Gigandes (giant baked beans)
    Frijoles charros, pinto beans cooked with bacon and sometimes tomatoes, are popular in Mexico and the American border states.
    In the Italian cuisine beans (of various size and various types) are widely used for several recipes also mixed with other ingredients: "fagiolata" generally stands for baked beans but there are also regional variations like "fagioli alla uccelletto" in Florence; "minestra di fagioli" (beans soup normally cooked with vegetables) "pasta e fagioli" (meaning "pasta and beans").
    New England baked beans
    Quebec-style baked beans are often prepared with maple syrup.
    Bean-hole beans, traditionally from Northern New England and Quebec, cooked in a covered fire pit in the ground for up to two days
    British cuisine claims beans on toast as a teatime favorite, the combination of cereal and legume forming an inexpensive complete protein; compare rice and beans. Variations of "beans on toast deluxe" can include extras as such as egg, grated cheese, marmite (A British food paste), tuna etc., and baked beans sometimes form part of a full English breakfast.
    Beans cooked in barbecue sauce (or a similarly flavored sauce) are a traditional side dish in an American barbecue.
    "Franks & beans", a recipe wherein hot dogs are cut up and cooked in the same sauce as the baked beans. In Canada, this recipe is more commonly called "beans and wieners".
    In Mexico and Latin America baked beans are also popular: the black and pinto are the most common.
    In the Balkans, they are known as prebranac.

Many unusual dishes are made with baked beans including the baked bean sandwich. These are slices of bread topped with beans and other additions, such as melted cheese.

Personally, I've loved baked beans since childhood and particularly spiced up with some jalapeno pepper. I'm sure that some people would go to lengths to make it from scratch, but for me it's not a dish that needs such attention. Open the can, heat the beans until hot, eat with a burger, a hot dog, spare ribs, cold potato or macaroni salad, and a nice cold beer. A farting good time, guaranteed :))

edited November 2013 Posts: 4,012
    Ah Feijoada! Good memories. I would like to add a few portuguese varieties to your list:
    Feijoada à Transmontana - originated at the Trás-os-Montes province in the North Eastern part of the country. Usually the beans (red/kidney) are boiled along with several fresh and smoked/salted meats (such as ham, bacon, sausage, rib, ear, nose, foot); can also take have some cabage.
    Feijoada à Portuguesa - nation wide, very similar to the one above but with butter beans (two B's).
    Feijões guisados - stewed beans, I would say they are more similar to the baked beans already presented, but they are boiled first and then shortly with olive oil and onions. The rest of the water used to cook the beans is used for making a delicious rice (Arroz de Feijão) but the same is usually done with all types of Feijoada in my region.
    Feijões com couve - beans (usually red/kidney or cranberry) with cabage, any type of cabage is good for this really. The beans are cooked along with the cabage and then stewed. Usually served with boiled smoked/salted meats as well.
    Feijoada de Marisco (seafood) and Feijoada de Gambas (srimp) - these two are made with seafood, quite delicious. Usually with white or butter beans. Another variety would be Feijoada de Búzios (whelk).
    Feijoada de Lulas and Feijoada de Choco - Similar to the seafood one but with either squid (lula) or cuttlefish (choco), very common around Lisbon. Usually with white or butter beans.

Although some are more used than others, all these recipes can be made with red, white, butter or cranberry beans and a few other varieties I don't really know how to say in English :D It is very common for all these to be accompanied either by white rice or even better rice made with the "bean water" I referred to before.
    With the leftovers of a Feijoada it is usual to make bean soup. Other recipes worthy of notice than I could include are Tripas à Moda do Porto (Beans with Tripe, very tradicional in Oporto), with white beans stewed with tripe in a tomato sauce. It has a nice historical origin behind it. In some regions the beans, still fresh inside their pod, are dried and then stewed after being rehydrated. There are many other recipes with beans but, since we are talking about the baked variety, I will leave it like this.

Around the world there are two dishes missing in your list: the Feijoada à Brasileira (Brasilian style) that is made with black beans and the Cachupa, a very tradicional Cape Verde dish which has corn mixed and is served with meats.
  • Sandy wrote:
    I made Flammkuchen for dinner yesterday, it was delicious. I mean, it's about as easy as it can be with bought dough. Obviously it was too much for me, the good news is that it keeps very well in the fridge :D That makes us two happy campers @SirHenryLeeChaChing.

Finally got to make Flammkuchen and @Sandy, if you were here right now, Alex and I would be hugging you in thanks! :D I'm thinking to go a little heavier on the sour cream base next time, otherwise it was crunchy and could be folded over just like people eat it. I did saute the onions until they were just soft and they came out brown and sweet. The bacon was nice and crunchy too and the black pepper mixed with the sour cream really enhanced everything. And dried chives sprinkled on top just as it came out were just the perfect way to finish it.

One of the best of the newer wave of New Orleans chefs, author John Besh, has Flammkuchen on the appetizer menu at one of his restaurants, for $13 US. He did a stint in the Black Forest out of culinary school and obviously loved this too. I'll be interested to hear if @PerilaguKhan tried this, in the meantime @Sandy, thank you so much for suggesting and thus bringing this little slice of my ancestral history back to our family. I actually feel closer to them and can almost tell they are smiling :x ^:)^
    I'm glad @SirHenryLeeChaChing! It is simple food at its best without a doubt. I wonder about it being crunchy, usually I don't use a lot of topping but I can roll it fine. Might it be because I use Créme Fraiche and you use sour cream? It can be a small but important difference since their levels of lactic acid and texture are rather different (remembering the food biochemistry classes :D). But crunchy sounds good too, I'm sure it was absolutely delicious.
  • @Sandy- I baked it until it was brown around the edges and that's where the crunch came from when it was folded over. As far as Créme Fraiche, it isn't sold in our grocery store around here so I'd have to make it myself, whereas sour cream is readily available.
    @Sandy- I baked it until it was brown around the edges and that's where the crunch came from when it was folded over. As far as Créme Fraiche, it isn't sold in our grocery store around here so I'd have to make it myself, whereas sour cream is readily available.

Oh, but that is how it should be! Crunchy on the sides, I thought you meant crunchy all over. You are doing it right. I had no idea Créme Fraiche wasn't easy to find, here it's the other way around.
  • edited December 2013 Posts: 3,494
    Moving forward, the following seems to be an English specialty- I've never heard of it so perhaps people who could can comment.

Bakewell Tarts

The Bakewell Tart is an English confection consisting of a shortcrust pastry. The tart consists of a shortcrust pastry shell, spread with jam or jelly and covered with a sponge-like filling enriched with ground almonds (known as frangipane). The Bakewell Tart is distinct from the Bakewell Pudding, which is a dessert made using flaky pastry, with a layer of jam covered by an egg and almond filling. Some versions of the tart are covered with a layer of fondant.

A Cherry Bakewell is a variation of the tart where the frangipane is covered with a top layer of almond-flavoured fondant and a single half glacé cherry.

Recipes abound, for example those given by Eliza Acton (1845) and Mrs Beeton (1861), and modern commercial examples are to be found in most cake shops and in most supermarket cake departments. The name Bakewell Tart only became common in the 20th century.

The Cherry Bakewell Shot (or Shooter) is an alcoholic beverage made using a base of Amaretto. A skilled bartender is able to layer the ingredients by pouring the respective spirits over the back of a chilled spoon. The name comes from the similarity in taste to the Cherry Bakewell tart.

In Gloucester, a similar tart is made using ground rice, raspberry jam and almond essence. Icing is optional. The recipe was rediscovered in 2013 in a book about Gloucester's history.
    I dislike almonds and frangipane so have never been fond of the Bakewell Tart.