The Cooking Thread

14567810»

Comments

• Well, you've all convinced me that I need to try some balsamic vinegar, and thus I will do so and look for some new recipes if I like it. As soon as I have some free time later today or tomorrow, I will move on to a subject that I am quite literally "bananas" about :)
  • MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.
    Sir H when you have got your balsamic vinegar try roasting some beet root that you have coverd in balsamic and sea salt it works wonders also if you can get it orange balsamic is wonderful stuf.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Here is SirHenry's other thread, which many enjoy. I am bumping this just so some of you can think it over ... perhaps someone would like to be in charge of continuing this? Perhaps a few of you could share those duties. Maybe rotate monthly, who keeps this one going. I don't know. I enjoy it a lot, but I am not a major contributor here, so it won't be me stepping up to the plate on this one. But I wanted to bump it so others could think about it. I would not want this one to die either, if there is enough interest.
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    Good idea bumping this @4EverBonded. I'm not sure I'm the ideal person to be in charge of this thread since I contributed a lot but in a very small portion of ingredients. However, if no one else does it, I can try.
    Thanks very much, @Sandy! Plenty of us enjoy reading it, even if we do not always contribute. I think someone else could help you, too. Let's see, give folks some time to think about it. But I am happy for you to do this. :)
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I'm currently going through some family recipe's. Once I have them all written down, I'll share them here. ~O)
    Just wanted to say that I made a Seafood Etoufee a while back inspired by Sir Henry's Creole/Cajun discussion. It came out really well and I have the good Sir to thank. Wish he was here to tell him. I told my wife about it, and though she doesn't participate here on the Community, she often here's about the camaraderie I have on here. So she was saddened, because she found the dish quite delicious and felt a connection in a way.

Lot's of inspiring stuff on here! Thank you Greg for lending your talents and passions to us all. Your memory lives on.
  • One way I celebrate the memory of my dearly departed mom is through the dishes she prepared in my earliest years, and through the recipes she bequeathed to me. I submit that one way Greg will live on is through his cooking.
    edited January 2014 Posts: 12,459
    I really relate to that, @Perilagu_Khan. I wish I had my dad's mother's Irish baked beans recipe with me, but it is packed away in the States. I think it actually originated with his grandmother, back in Ireland. Every time I made it, I would remember my parents (and also think of my Irish grandmother, whom I sadly never met; she passed away before I was born). I have such strong, wonderful memories of my mom and dad cooking. It was a big positive part of my childhood.

About Alex ... SirHenry/Greg had told me that Alex had a genuine interest in cooking and was learning a lot from him. He hoped Alex would pursue that as a career, culinary school, training in Italy or France, and one day be a chef. That would be splendid. But of course, Alex may do that, or choose a different direction - he is still 13, so he has plenty of time to figure out what is best for him in the future. Greg was a great dad, and I feel sure he just wants Alex to be happy and take the right paths in life, wherever that may lead (chef or something else entirely). But I think it likely that Alex may already have a strong appreciation of good food and surely that will continue, and he will always have his dad in that way, also.
    I think it's time to get this thread running again, it's the best homage we can do to its founder, the sadly missed one and only @SirHenryLeeChaChing. I know that I'm not capable of running it by myself so I'd like to ask if any of you would like to join me in this enterprise? @Perilagu_Khan and @WillyGalore you were amongst the most active posters here, would you like to join me?
  • Just let me know what I need to do, Sandy, and I'll give it my best shot.
    I am so glad this thread will continue, too! Many of us enjoy reading and sharing recipes. Thanks, @Sandy and @Perilagu_Khan!

:-bd
    I'm glad to be able to count on you @Perilagu_Khan. I'll send you a PM with some ideas as soon as I can.
  • MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.
    Thought I would give this a bump to see if we can get it restarted any cooks out there !.
    Good idea. We really should keep this thread alive for Greg's sake, as well as our own.

Tonight we're having cheese ravioli with a tomato sauce featuring allspice, garlic, rosemary, basil and white pepper. We'll also have a celery-and-olive salad of sorts.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    sounds tempting, but I think there's no way I can make it in time for dinner.. ;-) Have I told anyone here of my oatmeal cookies? I'll check later. It appears they're quite welcomed even internationally (tested it this weekend).
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    As a former professional chef I will contribute :)
    We could do foodspotting and post it here as well.
    I just saw this and it looks great, so I thought I'd share. I have not tried this, but I like the ingredients a lot: http://www.saga.co.uk/magazine/food/recipes/vegetables/roasted-pumpkin-blueberries-and-spiced-lentils
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    I just saw this and it looks great, so I thought I'd share. I have not tried this, but I like the ingredients a lot: http://www.saga.co.uk/magazine/food/recipes/vegetables/roasted-pumpkin-blueberries-and-spiced-lentils

That actually looks delicious!
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    As a former professional chef I will contribute :)
    We could do foodspotting and post it here as well.

Hey Jason, is this you?
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    I sure wish I was that cool @chrisisall :))
    I'm hot though :)
  • Ben392Ben392 Ljubljana
    Thanks so much for sharing this!! I love Cajun cuisine...By the way anyone has a good homemade Cajun seasoning recipe? Till now I've ordered them from here https://unlimited-recipes.com/best-cajun-seasoning/ But I am looking to make my own now.

Any help appreciated.
    Can't help with Cajun seasoning, but just happy to see somebody enjoying this old but excellent thread. I'd love for it to have contributions again, recipes, favorite cooking stories from members. :)