Never Say Never Again: Looking back 30 years on

124»

Comments

• I see DAF as a Roger Moore-era Bond film with Sean Connery.
  • While it was great to have two rival Bond films in the same year, and to have SC come back...it had its good parts. Like showing some more realism with Bond being vulnerable at times. But nonetheless it was wasted potential. Had this film's writing and production not been rushed, this could have had people wondering if they should demand the Cubby Bond series to make more-quality films. The modern Bond films seem like they are paying attention to quality over quantity.
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    I find it kinda funny that in the above interview Connery talks about his Bond differentiating itself from Moore by not being a parody of itself and citing FRWL yet NSNA ended up being one of Connery's most OTT Bond films.
    Ha. Yes, talk about the pot calling the kettle black. I love Sean and FRWL but perhaps this was not the best time for him to bring this up.
    Sean's NSNA again performance seems heavily influenced by the Moore era, so these comments seem quite strange!
  • Yersterday I commented about NSNA and, well, I have to say I prefer it to OP, and even to the original TB (anathema, I know) even when TB is a vastly superior film to NSNA. My main reason to love NSNA is its geeky charm. If one doesn't take the film too seriously and watches is as a romp, I think it's a rather enjoyable experience with some its more blatant flaws turning into pros from a geek point of view: the fact that the movie is oh-so-80s and that despite its fairly large budget looks like a B-series film adds to that geeky charm.

Its most serious flaws from any point of view are, IMHO, that Rowan Atkinson, whose humor I always liked, is annoying as Nigel Small, and while I actually like the theme song and two or three pieces of the score, Michel Legrand did such a, and I really mean it, shitty score one can't help but wonder why Wittingham and McClory didn't stand against Connery's awful choice and stick with... James Horner, I think it was the original composer?
    You're right that NSNA looks so cheap which is some job by the film makers considering the gigantic budget they had. My biggest problem above all else with NSNA is that it's so damn boring. At least with OP there are several moments which really get the pulses racing. NSNA on the other hand sends people into comas. I cannot think of another Bond film which is so bland and tedious. And when you consider how much I despise DAD and DAF, that's some achievement by McClory, Connery and Kershner.