Last Bond Movie You Watched

Comments

• Started a Bondathon of my own. Going in an interesting order in which I (with a couple exceptions) am working my way through my most recent list in reverse order (start with the lowest and climbing up). There will be a few exceptions, I'll switch things up here and there to keep myself from getting through one actor's films too quickly but for the most part that is the plan.

Last night was THE MAN WITH THE GOLDEN GUN. While the film has always been my least favorite Roger Moore film I do always find renewed appreciation for it each time. There's a lot to like but my previous complaints (poor action sequences, a general missed opportunity with the amazing Lee/Scaramanga, Mary Goodnight, etc.) still stand. However I do believe Moore himself gives a very good performance and his performance fits perfectly across from Lee's Scaramanga. Moore's Bond feels like an assassin in this film which only makes it all the more disappointing that Hamilton and company didn't make better use of that combination. The moments the two have on screen together are fantastic and rank as the film's best scenes. However, those scenes are few and far between, interspersed by Bond grabbing a sumo wrestler's butt cheeks and generally dull action sequences. The fight scene in the VIP room of the club and the car chase are standout sequences but the latter's thrills and impact are diminished by that damn slide whistle. That seems to be the story of THE MAN WITH THE GOLDEN GUN: Great promise stalled by shortcomings and frustrating tonal shifts. However, there's a lot to like and I enjoy the film as a whole. Great locations, a great villain, a great Bond.

And today I was able to watch THE WORLD IS NOT ENOUGH which, after today's viewing, further solidifies its place in my mind as easily the weakest Bond film of the bunch. It is the only film in the series that I wouldn't consider myself a big fan of. It has good moments but is ultimately a soulless, cold, empty, and joyless movie - attempting to be a serious drama Bond film while still balancing the more OTT elements of the Brosnan tenure. Unfortunately even the drama aspects fall into soap opera territory due to a melodramatic script full of some truly soggy and cringeworthy dialogue, Brosnan's worst performance, and weak performances by many of the supporting cast members. Renard is a very good henchman/villain. He's suitably menacing. Elektra King is a nice femme fatale but she doesn't have the oomph or punch or presence of a Fiona Volpe or Xenia Onatopp - a fact made more disappointing by the fact that she's this film's primary antagonist.

To conclude, the film climaxes with the death of Elektra and then meanders along with an excruciatingly long and dull "epilogue-climax" of sorts inside the submarine. Highlights of that set piece include Christmas Jones in a soaked white T-shirt and Brosnan's grimace.

Poor cinematography (aside from a few wonderful establishing shots of Istanbul), poor score from David Arnold, banal and bland direction from Apted, action that feels tacked on every time (especially the ski sequence and caviar factory) and a soap operatic soggy melodramatic tone at its heart - aside from the thrilling pre-title sequence there's not much to enjoy about THE WORLD IS NOT ENOUGH.

Sorry to fans of TWINE. I'm a Brosnan fan but as time passes I just can't find much to like about the movie.

Bondathon Rankings:

1. THE MAN WITH THE GOLDEN GUN (1974)
    2. THE WORLD IS NOT ENOUGH (1999)
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Had about an hour to fill today, so I watched the first half of DAD, which I hadn't seen in a long time. I may be the only one here, but I find DAD's 1st half to be enjoyable. I really like Brosnan's performance and Arnold's soundtrack, and there are several scenes/moment that I like. Bond taking the sunglasses from the bad guy, the prisonner exchange scene, Bond-M scene, Bond knocking the guy into the wheelchair, and basicly the whole wheelchair sequence because Brosnan seems to have the time of his life, the sword fight (silly but epic).
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    I have experienced a U-turn as such regarding Moore's performance in TMWTGG. Speaking as Moorite, I used to have this as his weakest performance. But when I watched TMWTGG last Saturday, I found that he was just as excellent as his other outings.
    As well the sword fight, my favourite part of DAD are the scenes at Isla Los Organos (heck, I even like Jinx in these scenes, up until she "dives" off the cliff).
  • As well the sword fight, my favourite part of DAD are the scenes at Isla Los Organos (heck, I even like Jinx in these scenes, up until she "dives" off the cliff).

I like Jinx coming out of the water but as soon as she opens her mouth that's about all I can take. Which I suppose is less Berry's fault than the scriptwriters. I do like Brosnan in those scenes though, so I suppose not all is lost.

• chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm

Last night was THE MAN WITH THE GOLDEN GUN. While the film has always been my least favorite Roger Moore film I do always find renewed appreciation for it each time.
    I find it to be a fun & quirky little Bond movie, well worth a couple of hours once a year or so!
  • edited October 2014 Posts: 4,622
    Did a couple of era-transition double bills as 2014 Bondathon plods along
    AVTAK and TLD

LTK and GE

These transition doubles really do work. We see the move from the Rog era to Dalts.
    And the move from the short-lived Dalts interlude to the much hyped and promoted GE.

The second transition was particularly stark. While LTK is a great little Bond film in its own right, GE by comparison, right off the back of it, drives home its' notice of reboot with its' grand celebration of all that is Bond. Personally I prefer LTK but GE has far more impact as blockbuster crowd pleaser.

When putting Dalton back to back, off Rog and before Broz, the comparisons are striking. Dalton did a very good job as Bond. His films are quite qood, but he doesn't have the on-screen presence - that star punch- that Rog and Broz both revel in - as did Sean also.
    Craig IMO has a tangible screen presence as well. Not quite like the big three Bond stars that preceded, but its there- just different.

Notes on TLD; Dalts IMO delivers the one liners beautifully. Almost as well as Sean and not as cheeky as Rog. Smoothly done.

Dalts get serious Bond bum-slap props.
    This is no longer only Sean territory (Tatiana on Orient Express and Dink poolside). Timbo gives new MP nice little right-hand cheek slap, as he sends her off.
    Dalts may be the sensitive Bond but he's no pc Bond. He makes a point of boldy smoking in both films, and we get the bum slap, a full 13 films after Sean's last gentle tush tapping in GF. Talk about an overdue homage. Well done!

Still love Tanya Roberts "James James" screaming. Ditto Lupe's " I love James so much" - still one of the series funniest lines, coupled with Pam's reaction.

Love the LALD tribute in LTK with the shootout in the aquarium warehouse. Borrowed right from the book-showdown with the Robber.

Still have trouble keeping track of the tankers as they get taken out one after the other. If one concentrates, one can tick off their destructions one by one.

Question: Pam was denied a plane to get to Sanchez distribution centre. Hers was being "fixed". Yet still she gets a plane. What did she do, steal it?

Babs' screen credits I think go back as far as MR, but she arrives in full bloom as Associate Producer in both Dalts films. She's been a serious producer since TLD it seems.

timmer wrote: »
    Question: Pam was denied a plane to get to Sanchez distribution centre. Hers was being "fixed". Yet still she gets a plane. What did she do, steal it?
    Need you ask? :))
    Nice observations @timmer!
    Birdleson wrote: »
    I had written a lengthy review of NEVER SAY NEVER AGAIN earlier (above). I just realized I cut out the whole body when I raised the rankings up so I could put them in bold type. That was about an hour's work. I won't be redoing it.
    I hate when that happens for me, and it has.
    I had written a lengthy review of NEVER SAY NEVER AGAIN earlier (above). I just realized I cut out the whole body when I raised the rankings up so I could put them in bold type. That was about an hour's work. I won't be redoing it.

I read it in time. Great as usual.

Although, I do quite like the dancing scenes.

But I still find its lack of EoN quality and few redeeming features to land it slap bang below Die Another Day (that is in 23rd place in my ranking). I think NASA is perhaps the most dull film I've seen.
  • I always have liked NSNA. Connery looks lively in it and some of the action is pretty good. The score is bad, it lacks the EON shimmer, and the supporting minor players aren't so good but it's not a horrible film. That video game scene is just awful though.
    I always have liked NSNA. Connery looks lively in it and some of the action is pretty good. The score is bad, it lacks the EON shimmer, and the supporting minor players aren't so good but it's not a horrible film. That video game scene is just awful though.

There, you hit all of the major points of my 1,500 word review in three sentences.
    Oh, I got to read that before it vanished! It was very detailed. Nice comment about the training thing in the beginning, but I disagreed with your calling NSNA an awful song.
    ;)
  • edited October 2014 Posts: 4,622
    @chrisisall and @birdleson
    Thanks!
    btw @birdleson and others. Really enjoying the lengthy reviews finding their way into this thread. Your passion is contagious. Spurring me on to continue my Bondathon into the Broz and Craig eras!
    @chrisisall
    Re Pam and plane. Thanks for clarification. Yes of course, I guess she stole the plane, but the film doesn't make it real real clear. Just wanted to clarify that niggling little detail.
    Close enough though. We see her briefly eyeball the plane and then a few shots later she's airborne.
    edited October 2014 Posts: 17,691
    timmer wrote: »
    We see her briefly eyeball the plane and then a few shots later she's airborne.
    Classic Hunt-style cut to the chase.
  • Continued my Bondathon last night and today with DIAMONDS ARE FOREVER and then LICENCE TO KILL. I'll just briefly talk a little bit about each.

DIAMONDS ARE FOREVER is a tricky movie. I'm one of its defenders but I've been "on both sides" ever since I was a kid. When I first saw the movie I loved it. Then I hated it when I "grew up" (13-15), then I was indifferent towards it for awhile and now I love it again. It is also worth mentioning that, alongside GOLDFINGER, it is my dad's favorite Bond film.

Anyways I know people don't like a lot of things about the movie but I'll try to defend it here. Firstly it is probably the funniest Bond film in the whole series. There's a lot of perfectly timed absurd comedy offset by Guy Hamilton's ability to create legitimate danger and some nearly palpable tension. Sean Connery is the perfect Bond for this particular style of film and his performance here is much better than I believe folks give him credit for. Sure, he's gained a few pounds but that ends up working towards the film's tone. It's a darkly comedic movie and Connery gives a darkly sardonic, sarcastic, and world-weary performance. He's extremely aloof and delivers Manky's razor sharp dialogue perfectly in a way only Connery can. Tiffany Case is also likely my favorite American Bond girl. She's got the sass and attitude and she has great chemistry with Connery's Bond (every Bond girl has great chemistry with Connery's Bond). Plus, she looks amazing throughout the whole film. "That's a nice little nothing you're almost wearing" applies to almost all of her attire.

It's an underrated film in my book but I respect everyone who dislikes it. I can understand why. There are certain elements that either click or they don't. Personally I love the film. There will never be a Bond movie like this again. It's daring. The scene where Bond scales the Whyte House is absolutely terrifying and some of the shots of the angled side makes me white knuckled even though I know everything turns out fine. It's a glamorous film, a hilarious film, and an action packed adventure. The elevator fight with Franks is honestly just as good as the fight on the Orient Express. I love it. Dark quirky dangerous comic. DIAMONDS ARE FOREVER.

I used to prefer LICENCE TO KILL out of the Timmy Bond movies. No longer. However, I did enjoy it more this time around and I do now consider it a Bond film I love once again. I'm a die hard Bond super fan - I love all of the films except maybe 3 and even those I can enjoy.
    Tim Dalton is an excellent Bond and even though I think I prefer his performance in THE LIVING DAYLIGHTS (a little more range) he's very very good here. He has a commanding and fierce presence matched only by the fierce and intimidating Franz Sanchez. Not one of the series' best villains (he's a little too Miami Vice/Lethal Weapon) but he's probably top 10 material. I'm also a fan of Pam. She has her moments where she gets on my nerves but overall I like her. It is also worth mentioning that I really like her legs. Talisa Soto can't act her way out of a paper bag but she's still a better Bond girl than Christmas Jones or Mary Goodnight, so I suppose not all is lost. She's attractive and she's not HORRIBLE, but she's definitely not good.

Both of the Dalton Bond films boast great action and LICENCE TO KILL has some great sequences. There's a lull in the action after the escape from the WaveKrest I didn't realize until tonight. The film really makes up for it with one of the series' best climaxes in the tanker chase through the barren hills!

A few of the film's more Americanized elements still bother me slightly. The pre-title sequence is well executed but it really helps set a weird Miami Vice tone that I don't think I'm happy with and it takes the film a long time to remotely shake that vibe. The cinematography, some of the poorest of the series in my opinion (bad lighting, primarily) adds to this occasional "made for TV" look. This is matched by Kamen's bland and one-note score in which he simply recycles the Bond theme throughout the entire film. It's Pretty forgettable and feels like just another generic action movie score.

Aside from those quibbles - great Bond film. Dalton keeps it from veering too much into Miami Vice territory and the action sequences are visceral and great fun. Groovy theme song too.

2014 Bondathon Rankings:

1. DIAMONDS ARE FOREVER
    2. LICENCE TO KILL
    3. THE MAN WITH THE GOLDEN GUN
    4. THE WORLD IS NOT ENOUGH
    DAF is such a cool movie. Not better than LTK, but nice to see the love at any rate!
  • chrisisall wrote: »
    DAF is such a cool movie. Not better than LTK, but nice to see the love at any rate!

To be fair, they're practically neck and neck. I give DAF the slight edge but I know you're a bit LTK fan. To each their own.

• Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    Personally, I don't care much for FYEO. I have always had a hard time getting into everything that is going on throughout the film. While I am glad they decided to go back to the Fleming-esque roots after MR, I feel the film as a whole is bland. I absolutely despise Conti's score. For me, it ruins the entire film, particularly with the ski chases. Every time I watch the ski chases, I'm waiting for Rocky Balboa to be pushing a tire in the snow in the background. I feel that characters are bland, with the exception of Columbo, which happens to be one of my favourite allies in the series. While I do not hate any Bond film, I have very rarely or will ever be like "Tonight is a good night to watch FYEO." I'll watch some of it if it is on TV, but I never go out of my way to watch it.
  • FYEO was once nearly my least favorite film in the series (in the 20s on my list) but I found some new appreciation for it.
    However that ATAC underwater sequence KILLS momentum which is terribly unfortunate as there are a LOT of awesome awesome things in the movie. Columbo might just be my favorite Bond ally in the whole series honestly.
    I agree that the underwater sequences deter the film's momentum; they were pretty boring I must admit. There are a few scenes that dragged, but as a whole, I think it's a very enjoyable Bond movie. I also thought it was Moore's best performance of his 7 tries.
  • Birdleson wrote: »
    Watching the films in this scattered order has allowed me to realize that his performances can be categorized as the Pre-THE SPY WHO LOVED ME Moore and the Post-TSWLM Moore. The later being far more whimsical and smirky. I prefer his manner in the earlier ones, though he has his moments in the later.
    The film TSWLM itself features a nice balance.

I always thought John Glen brought out Moore's most Fleming-like performances. TMWTGG being an exception. FYEO-AVTAK
  • Edge of Tomorrow - cracking sci-fi film. fantastic.
    lunnchoop wrote: »
    Edge of Tomorrow - cracking sci-fi film. fantastic.

You want this thread- http://mi6community.com/index.php?p=/discussion/63/last-movie-you-watched#latest
  • edited October 2014 Posts: 1,595
    Just finished DIE ANOTHER DAY. Anyone who knows me around these forums knows that, for all of its flaws, I actually like the film as I believe there is much to salvage.

Pierce Brosnan gives what is perhaps my favorite performance of his (maybe edged slightly by his turn in TOMORROW NEVER DIES). Amidst all of the ridiculousness his performance is cool and confident and excellent. None of the cry baby painful "human" antics from his previous performance.

Everyone knows the bad, so I won't really go over that again. As far as I'm concerned, everything aside from Jinx's dialogue and the bedroom scene up until Bond first meets Mr. Kil is great stuff. "Classic modern Bond" if you will. The pre-title sequence is fantastic, the Korean torture, the way he escapes his MI6 "imprisonment," the hotel sequences, everything in Cuba, the sword fight. It's great stuff. As soon as Mr. Kil introduces himself, however, the "DIE ANOTHER DAY antics" begin.

Regardless, there are a few good moments amidst the bad. I really like Rosamund Pike as Miranda Frost, the last good femme fatale we've had in the series up to this point. As I mentioned earlier Pierce is still excellent even when the action/movie around him is dire. I like the car chase on the ice quite a lot as well.

Lee Tamahori is not a good director for a Bond film but he does give us HALF of a VERY GOOD Bond film (my opinion, of course). Even when he's at his worst with the science fiction insane ridiculous aspects (laser fight, surfing, and RoboCop fight are atrocious) there's still a nice energetic (if not chaotic) pace to the film that pushes it along.

The dialogue is horrible in parts, carried over from the previous film. David Arnold's score isn't bad but it's occasionally a little too "busy." All in all, I don't mind DIE ANOTHER DAY. Certainly a lesser Bond film but it beats out several films to stay out of the bottom spot.

Updates on the Fall Bondathon Rankings:

1. DIAMONDS ARE FOREVER
    2. LICENCE TO KILL
    3. THE MAN WITH THE GOLDEN GUN
    4. DIE ANOTHER DAY
    5. ON HER MAJESTY'S SECRET SERVICE
    6. NEVER SAY NEVER AGAIN
    7. THE WORLD IS NOT ENOUGH

Worth mentioning that I count NSNA as a Bond film. It's got Connery and McClory and company were clearly trying to make a "serious" Bond film. Flawed? Yes. But enjoyable. Definitely lacks that EON touch, as many have mentioned.

And yes, my placement of OHMSS has always been very low. Have never been able to get over Lazenby in the film. It does have many good elements and I do enjoy it a lot (the bottom film is the only one I don't enjoy much). Anyways! My apologies to big fans of the movie. Nothing against ya. Don't hate me too much.

Hope everyone's having a good weekend!!
  • Birdleson wrote: »
    I like many of the things you mention (I actually think it goes off the rails when Jinx is introduced), but the bad stuff is just too bad.

I don't always agree with someone, especially when they're opinion differs from mine, but I "agree" with you completely here. The bad stuff really bothers me but not enough to TOTALLY kill it for me.

However, I have no argument against someone who says the bad stuff kills it for them. It just boils down to personal impact. So trust me, I hear ya on it.

I like Brosnan as Bond and I just wish he had gotten one more OR they had really "stuck with" the Korean imprisonment plot with him going after Zao, maybe getting mixed up in a diamond operation, but not gone that damned Icarus way. DIE ANOTHER DAY, more than any other Bond save perhaps TMWTGG had a lot of potential with its set up.
    The bad stuff really bothers me but not enough to TOTALLY kill it for me.
    Same here. DAD is solidly in DAF/TMWTGG territory for me in that if I'm in the proper mood, much fun can be had with them.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    GE was recorded on the DVR at college, so naturally I watched it the other day after a long day of work. It was a great way to unwind after a rough day at the office. Couldn't help but blurt out trivia bits to my girlfriend (who couldn't have cared less, though she feigned interest ;)) and point out all the tiny little scenes that I love, like when Bond drops the two guards with his PPK during the finale before ducking behind cover after infiltrating the base underneath the dish.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    GE was recorded on the DVR at college, so naturally I watched it the other day after a long day of work. It was a great way to unwind after a rough day at the office. Couldn't help but blurt out trivia bits to my girlfriend (who couldn't have cared less, though she feigned interest ;)) and point out all the tiny little scenes that I love, like when Bond drops the two guards with his PPK during the finale before ducking behind cover after infiltrating the base underneath the dish.

When I watch GoldenEye, I always have three things with me at all times. My ppk airsoft. my AK47 airsoft and my remote mine replica and I play to the action of the film. Brings me back to my childhood everytime. :)
  • chrisisall wrote: »
    Same here. DAD is solidly in DAF/TMWTGG territory for me in that if I'm in the proper mood, much fun can be had with them.

I find DAD's problems to be worse than the other two you mentioned, and I do think DAF / TMWTGG are better films, but I definitely see where you're coming from.

Seems like we don't agree too often. Nice to see we do here :)
    @Birdleson FoxTrot haha cracked me up. What can I say, I love foxes? Good review of LTK; it is also my favorite Dalton film by a long shot.