Last Bond Movie You Watched

Comments

• royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    I have two. Just to be safe ;-)
  • @Birdleson Glad you appreciated Octopussy more this time around! Definitely one of my favorite Moore Bond films, if not my favorite outright.

There are bad parts to be certain. We all know them. But they are few and far between and aside from those bad parts I think we get a great exotic and Fleming-esque Bond film. Lots of snooping around. Espionage galore. India makes for an exotic location and then the Cold War aspect juts in towards the end - going to full blown Cold War Bond mode from exotic India.

I love it. You don't have to, but I'm glad you found more appreciation.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    edited October 2014 Posts: 17,691
    Birdleson wrote: »
    Some general criticisms that effect the entire film: Michelle Yeoh physically handles the role well, both in terms of her acting and her stunt work, but I think it is a grave mistake to give her lines of humor, puns, quips, etc. in her non-native tongue. Everytime she utters one of these lines I get knocked out of the picture.
    Just a note: Michelle is bi-lingual; English & Malay are her native tongues.
    Also, I don't find any chemistry between Pierce and her at all.
    Funny, I think they have a very fine chemistry ("Don't get any ideas, Mr. Bond"). :))
    But, it's all how we see things individually, and we aren't going to change each other's minds on this movie. That said, a very fascinating & extremely well thought out & written review! Thanks! =D>
  • I never see romantic chemistry between the two but I think that they have decent on-screen chemistry. I always saw them much more as companions and partners on a mission than romantically connected.

The sex at the end I always just chalk up to "celebration sex yay we won the mission."
  • edited October 2014 Posts: 7,500
    Great review @Birdleson! Very interesting to read, and I want you to know how much all the work is appreciated.

And I agree with your analyzis. Especially regarding gadget cars. Its one of the common fascinations amongst Bond fans I'll never understand, and as you say, its very anti Fleming.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I do enjoy reading your reviews, @Birdleson.
  • SuperheroSithSuperheroSith SE London
    FYEO
    I still hate it.
    I've enjoyed following your reviews of my ranking too, @Birdleson. TLD actually bores me a lot too at times; I wish I could like it more, honestly, but I right now I just can't rank it above #15. Has several moments of greatness in it, but as a whole, it's just stuck in my lower half of the Bond films. And I also much prefer LTK.
    LTK is the bomb.
  • Great review of YOLT. Makes me wanna' watch it again. I, too, have it higher than many at #11 currently. Great OTT Bond.
    And what always has bugged is me when Whitaker is bragging to Bond how impenetrable his body armor is, and Bond wastes all of his ammo shooting at it, when it only covers about 10 % of the guy's body! Bond could have shot him through the chest, taken out his legs
    Apparently, you have not taken into account the limited targeting acquisition factor due to solid obstacle obstructions.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    edited October 2014 Posts: 14,880
    A little later than expected, but the blu-ray Bond-a-thon continues with...
    Octopussy
    As is well known, OP has long been my favourite of the Bond films. For many a middle of the road effort. For some a low ranking movie with too many jokes and sight gags.
    Maybe it's because it was the first Bond film I saw in the cinema as a young boy. Maybe because I grew up with Roger Moore Bond, or maybe it just appealed to me because it really does have a lot going on.
    The PTS for me is a classic. A mini jet hidden in a horsebox. Stunning flying and an exciting evasion of a heat seeking missile. The last time we had a proper mini movie, as the PTS has nothing to do with the film that follows.
    The first part of OP is very Flemingesque I always feel.
    OO9 being chased through the woods dressed as a clown by the knife wielding twins is quite eerie. Clutching a Faberge egg and fatally stabbed. Bond being given OO9's mission, Operation Trove.
    The auction at Sotheby's is taken almost straight from the Fleming short story 'The Property Of A Lady' and is certainly a highlight of the film.
    Bond's arrival in India takes Bond back to some of his more silly moments that are often associated with the Moore films. Though Bond and Kamal Khan meeting at the back gammon table is a real delight. It's right up there with the golf match from GF in terms of delivery. Bond show's his hand to the villain. Letting Khan know he (Bond) know he's on the case. Using Khan's loaded dice trick against him is a great idea, so to is Moore's super cool not looking down when the dice land on double sixes.
    The following Tuk-Tuk chase is imaginative and well shot. But is played for laughs as Bonds aid Vijay is played by well known Indian tennis star Vijay Amritraj. It's just not funny though having Vijay battle villains with a tennis racquet.
    Bonds capture and escape from Kamal Khan's palace is a real mixed bag. After being dined by his captor, Bond escapes and over hears a meeting between Khan and Soviet General Orlov regarding an event in Karl Marx Stadt. This is quite suspenseful as Bond avoids being seen, and does some actual spying. Unfortunately the film makers through in a jungle hunt which could've been very exciting and continued the suspense. But as usual they go for laughs, as Bond swings between vines and using a Tarzan yell as he does so. It's cheesy and funny if you're about five maybe. I wish they just edited that twenty seconds out of the film. Another annoyingly painful moment comes soon after as Bond approaches the mysterious Octopussy's island in a submarine that resembles a crocodile. I would've rather see Bond use some other means to infiltrate the island. Or use our imagination and have Bond stealthily find his way there.
    The back story of Octopussy's father being a former agent who Bond had been sent to track down years before is only mentioned briefly, but adds another little mention straight from a Fleming novel. (Always nice when the film makers do this.)
    Bond and Octopussy soon become lovers and it transpires that Octopussy and Kamal Khan are partners in a jewellery smuggling operation. When Khan discovers that Bond is a visitor on Octopussy's island he sends a group of thugs to dispose of him. A well staged fight ensues and Bond escapes back to the mainland with Octopussy believing him killed by the crocodiles that live in the waters and Bond discovering Vijay has fallen victim to the thugs before they attacked Bond.
    The scenes in Germany are played mostly straight with only brief Mooresque humour coming through. The scenes on the trains are extremely exciting beginning with Bond learning of the plot to switch the jewellery with an Atomic bomb, which will explode at Octopussy's traveling circus which will next play on a US air force base West Germany. This so called accident will cause the NATO nations to withdraw their troops and leave the West open for attack from Soviet forces. This is the dream of General Orlov and Kamal Khan who will himself steal the Russian treasures from the jewellery scheme for himself.
    The face off between Bond and Orlov is one of my favourite scenes in any Bond movie. Roger Moore is particularly good up against the always imposing Steven Berkoff.
    The following train stunts are one of Octopussy's highlights. All done for real and shot beautifully. It's one of the finer action scenes to appear in the series. With Bond climbing atop carriages and dodging bridges and pipework. Climbing along the sides and hanging underneath at Khan's henchman Gobinda tries to kill him. As the ticking Atom bomb carries on toward it's destination Bond is thrown from the train having to resort to stealing a car in order to reach the circus in time. It all adds to the suspense of Bond trying desperately trying to get to the bomb in time. As police chase him in cars and motorbikes he arrives at the air base.
    I've always enjoyed the line when he tries to plead with the guard on the gate that he needs the base commander urgently. On seeing the pursuing police he orders Bond out of the car. Bond drives through the gate and onto the base causing all the security to chase him. It's the line of the guard that follows that tickles me.
    "Some nut went through here in a stolen car. Wants the base commander. And he's wearing a red shirt!"
    You can almost imagine a Basil Fawlty like line to follow. "A red shirt! He's not is he?"
    As Bond once again evades capture as he still attempts to alert everyone of the impending destruction, he disguises himself as a clown to gain entry to the circus. Finding Octopussy and an US General he pleads with them that there is a bomb hidden in the circus canon. As the air force security apprehend Bond, Octopussy uses a sidearm to reveal the bomb in the canon. With seconds to spare Bond is released and disarms the bomb as it counts down to zero.
    Now some fans hate this scene. I for one love it. The use of the clown suit that Bond uses is the same as the clown suit that OO9 was killed in. The fact that they're at a circus would suggest (to me anyway) that the clown disguise would be an option to gain entry whilst Bond is evading capture. The tension as the bomb ticks down is real edge of your seat stuff, and the bomb ticks all the way to nothing as Bond removes the detonator. Even Goldfinger gave him three ticks remaining.
    Bond returns to India to bring Kamal Khan to justice, but Octopussy and her girls are seeking revenge for double crossing her and leaving them to die. Khan captures Octopussy and tries to flee in his nearby plane. As Bond pursues on horseback he leaps from the horse onto the tail of the taxing plane as it takes off. As with the train stunts, we're given some unbelievable stuntwork as Bond clings to the outside of the plane as Khan attempts to shake him off with turns and loops. Stunning photography as we see Jake Lombard double Roger Moore in this exciting finale. In one of the rare moments of good humour, Khan looks across at Gobinda and instructs him to "Go out, and get him."
    Gobinda looks horrified as he replies, "Out there!"
    The fight to the death outside the plane has an obvious result, and Gobinda falls to his death. Bond disables the planes flaps causing it to crash, not before he's rescued Octopussy, and jumped to safety as the plane crashes over a cliff, and explodes into the cliff face below, taking Kamal Khan with it.
    All that remains is for Bond and Octopussy sail off into the sunset aboard Octopussy's barge.
    As with all the previous films before, the blu-ray transfer is excellent. Bringing all the colour and detail out in this often over looked film. Yes there are silly moments. And annoyingly bad parts. But for the most part this is a thrilling Bond film, with Moore looking older. But just about convincing as an older agent.
    The cast is fantastic. I love the villains of this film. Louis Jourdan is wonderful. Likewise Steven Berkoff as Orlov and Kabir Bedi as Khans henchman Gobinda.
    Maud Adams makes a welcome return as Octopussy and shares genuine chemistry with Moore.
    I know I'm a lone Bond fan on this one, but after all these years, it's hard not to put this film right up the top.

Benny's Blu-Ray Bondathon ranking:

1. On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    2. From Russia With Love
    3. Octopussy
    4. The Spy Who Loved Me
    5. For Your Eyes Only
    6. Goldfinger
    7. Thunderball
    8. Doctor No
    9. Live And Let Die
    10. You Only Live Twice
    11. Moonraker
    12.The Man With The Golden Gun
    13. Diamonds Are Forever.

Bet you never saw that one coming. ;)
    I love OP, and will defend it till the end. But on the whole it doesn't quite have the full impact of OHMSS and FRWL.
    Still one of the best Bond films though.
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    I don't get a chance to post much anymore but I just wanted to say thank you to @Benny and @Birdleson for their recent Bondathon reviews. I have really enjoyed reading them and I wanted you to know that I very much appreciate the time and effort that you spent in writing them. Please carry on gentlemen!
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    I really like Octopussy. I could do without some of the scenes in India, but once it gets to Germany, its full steam ahead and classic Bond.
    Benny wrote: »
    I love OP, and will defend it till the end.
    Count me as a fan.
    Me three!

Thanks @Birdleson and @Benny for some thoughtful reviews. Although I don't agree one iota about TLD Birdleson. ;-)
    Not so. There were several points where Bond had long, clear shots at the torso or legs.
    Okay, his left mid-thigh to solar plexus was exposed, but to be fair, they were in shadow and his head (and the gun's shield) was the only target lit well. Yeah, he should have lowered his last few shots....
    As much as I love The Living Daylights, Bond's shoot out with Whitaker is pretty silly. I mean, skip to 2.10 in the video.

There it is.
    Yeah, I was resisting saying this, but I stand corrected. :\">
    edited October 2014 Posts: 5,080
    You may remember the Dr. No review I did a while back where I said I would continue to review each film on a regular basis.

Well, the latter part of this year has been incredibly busy for me, but I eventually got round to viewing From Russia With Love.

FROM RUSSIA WITH LOVE, (1963)

Without a doubt my favourite Connery outing. FROM RUSSIA WITH LOVE improved ten-fold on nearly every aspect of DR. NO.

I would say that, from a purely critical point of view, it is the Bond film that is the closest to perfection in terms of filmmaking (although it is not my personal favourite Bond film in terms of entertainment).

I love the trio of villains in Klebb, Grant and the unseen Blofeld. All top notch in this department, and I would say that Lotte Lenya as Klebb is the standout. The demise of both Klebb and Grant are truly classic scenes.

Daniela Bianchi as Tatiana Romanova makes for a satisfactory Bond girl, and one of the best (if I might say so) in the looks department.

The supporting cast is very good, too; Armendariz is as likeable as ever as Kerim Bey, Vladek Sheybal is quite creepy, if a bit wooden, as Kronsteen, and I really enjoy Sylvia Trench's little frolics with Bond at the start.

The one thing that I disliked about FROM RUSSIA WITH LOVE on my previous viewing has now become an asset: it's pace. I used to find it's slower pace and lack of action in the middle of the film to be quite tedious, but I now enjoy how the plot unfolds and the story taking place.

Although it is the film to first introduce the PTS, the PTS still holds up today and remains as tense as ever. Sometimes, less is more.
    The subsequent opening credits and the FROM RUSSIA WITH LOVE/Bond theme instrumental that plays over them is a delight. I have always loved the upbeat opening and ending of the instrumental.
    The first John Barry score is wonderful- "007 Takes the Lektor" and "Gypsy Fight" are outstanding pieces. I get goosebumps when "007 Takes the Lektor" plays when Bond, Tania and Kerim escape from the Russian Embassy.

The plot is relatively simple, as with DR. NO, but it is very well executed and engaging. I've always wondered if the Lektor was booby-trapped, as in the novel...

Sean Connery is at his prime in this film. Electric! No more needs to be said, here.

I really do find it hard to find a fault in FROM RUSSIA WITH LOVE. I would say, however, that I would take a few other Bond films over it on pure entertainment factor.

In summary, FROM RUSSIA WITH LOVE is an excellent release, and a film that I revisit regurlarly.

Bondathon Summer-Autumn 2014 Ranking-
    1. FROM RUSSIA WITH LOVE (1963)
    2. DR. NO (1962)
    Still not crazy about Camille, she does a fairly good job in the role, yet, I still don't find her character convincing. And Bond should always screw the main Bond girl.
    Oh man, heh heh, I was loving your review until this. You just lost a bit of cred with me. Not that you'd care or anything...
    :))
  • I hate the feeling after a Bondathon ends.
    Well done! Another top notch review, and one that echoes my thoughts precisely.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Excellent stuff, @Birdleson, and I'm glad to see some appreciation for TB. I for one don't consider the underwater stuff particularly boring or unexciting. I think these images are of a superb quality and often accompanied by great music from Barry. Maybe a little polish could have made TB even better, who knows, if Young had actually finished production or whatever, but what we got now is still a great piece of cinema.
  • DarthDimi wrote: »
    Excellent stuff, @Birdleson, and I'm glad to see some appreciation for TB. I for one don't consider the underwater stuff particularly boring or unexciting. I think these images are of a superb quality and often accompanied by great music from Barry. Maybe a little polish could have made TB even better, who knows, if Young had actually finished production or whatever, but what we got now is still a great piece of cinema.

The underwater stuff has always thrilled me. On Blu-ray it looks so fantastic. The pitch black stuff is full of thrills and Bond's "pool fight" with Largo's goon is one of the most suspenseful moments in the entire series.

Great review, btw, @Birdleson.

• MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Over the last 9 years on this forum, I have said a lot about the Moore era, most of it negative. However, over the last several viewings, I have developed an appreciation of For Your Eyes Only.
    Don't get me wrong, FYEO isn't perfect, there are aspects of the film I am not a fan of ('Make It Last All Night', Bibbi Dahl, Max the Parrot and the Maggie Thatcher cameo), but overall, I can appreciate what was attempted. After the silliness of MR, FYEO attempted to set the good ship Bond on an even keel, unfortunately, it's held back by being a Moore film, cue 'comedy hijinks' (see complaints further up).
    That said, the PTS, the car chase (does anyone else think Bouquet's laugh was real?), Bond & Melina retreiving the ATAC and the tense climb up the cliff more than make up for the silly scenes.
    Though Kara is my favourite Bond Girl overall, Melina is the most attractive. And deadly with a crossbow, too. So, to the sound of Conti's funky Bond theme, I will finish up this post with an updated ranking...

1. From Russia With Love
    2. On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    ***3. For Your Eyes Only***
    4. The Spy Who Loved Me
    5. Dr No
    6. Thunderball
    7. You Only Live Twice
    8. Live And Let Die
    9. Goldfinger
    10. The Man With The Golden Gun
    11. Moonraker
    12. Diamonds Are Forever
    Very much agreed, @Birdleson. A great entry in the series.
  • So yesterday I got a terrible cold, so I decided to take the day off and sit down for a little Bond-A-Thon. When I was about to decide wich movies I wanted to see I just thought 'Screw it' and picked four Bondfilms that are all very different from one another: FRWL, TMWTGG, FYEO and DAD. I had not seen FRWL since June so I was really in the mood of watching that one, and I had the exact same feeling of TMWTGG. It wasn't really long ago I saw FYEO, since I saw it in the cinema three weeks ago at a Bondevent but I was still really exited to re-visit now when I have actually met members of the cast and crew. DAD is shit, and I knew that before I put it on today, but I wanted to see if it was as shit as I remebered. So here's my review of my mini Bond-A-Thon!

From Russia With Love
    Well, the step between this movie and Dr.No is enormous! Don't get me wrong, it's not a bad thing. It feels like a propper spymovie and you can tell that they really put their heart and soul into this one aswell. The first thing I noticed this time around was that the plot was much easier to understand that earlier. Perhaps it's because I'm currently reading the book. This is a movie with a very conplicated plot and many characters so you do have to pay way more attention to this one than to Dr.No. The characters are really great though so there's no chance you'll mix them up. We get introduced to Blofeld, we have Klebb, Tanja, Grant, Kroonsteen and Kerim Bey. Klebb is really creepy and the Klebb from the book is really the same in the movie. Tatjana used to be one of my fave Bondgirls but I did not like her much this time. She was just to silly and so.... Drugged... Daniella is very pretty but that does't cover up for it. Robert Shawshank as Red Grant on the other hand is awsome and he is probably my fave henchman! Sean Connery is pretty much perfect as Bond here. He plays the 007 that Fleming wrote, end of story.

The Man With The Golden Gun
    When I was seven, this was the absolute best Bondmovie! Now I think it's rubbish. Roger look's very uncomfertable in the role and I honestly think it was a big waste to have Christopher Lee as a the villain in this one. They could have saven him for later installments in my opinion. I don't even like Nick-Nack. He's just strange... And don't even get me started on Britt Ekland... She's awful! Terrible! Such a 'stupid cow'. Hip is a bad ally for Bond and the story is just stupid. I feel like this film was so rushed trough development because they didn't care about it much, since they knew they would cash in on it anyway. It just feels very very lazy and childish.

For Your Eyes Only
    As I said, I did see this one not so long ago in the cinema. I love this one so much! Moore at the top of his game! Every single line he delivers just screems class! The only thing that brings it down a bit is Melina. I don't care much for her, since she is to wooden. The plot is easy to follow, the action scenes are great and I LOVE the score! Bill Conti does a fantastic job scoring the movie and the track that okays when Bond and Melina goes down in the sub is just amazing! He's version of the Bondtheme is perfect! We do really miss Lee as M but it passes by anyway. The skichase is one of my fave scenes in all of Bond actually. I feel so proud to have actually met John Glen and John Moreno and Weston!

Die Another Day
    No... Just no...

Rankings:
    1. For Your Eyes Only
    2. From Russia With Love
    3. The Man With The Golden Gun
    4. Die Another Day
  • edited October 2014 Posts: 7,500
    I love the boat chase myself. It demonstrates Bond's cool and wit, and in a way that's necessary in a film where he spends the majority being fooled and trapped. Seen as a homage to NBN, the helicopter scene works for me too... although I've always wondered why the bad guys only brought handgranates and not a machine gun or something? That would have been a bit more efficient...

As for Tanias internal conflicts near the end, I find it very realistic and natural. One has to remember that to defect from the Soviet Union is a big deal. Security and safety is not the only issue, there are many moral conflicts and loyalty issues as well. It would mean leaving your family behind, possibly forever, and also the beliefs you grew up with. She was described as a very loyal nad trustfull 'comrade' in the novel. Having second thoughts on such a decision is very natural and understandable.
  • I've always liked the boat chase for that bit of extra Bond thrill but I can understand why people have problems with it. I've personally always enjoyed it.

I've been trying to hold off on another Bondathon as well but I feel that I'll be caving and beginning one here very soon.

I should be able to hold off again until I run them up in order to 24's release next fall/winter.