Last Bond Movie You Watched

Comments

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Tank chase-one of the most overrated scenes in one of the most overrated films. Belongs in a Naked Gun film. If they could add some humour that is.
  • edited May 2014 Posts: 11,189
    I love the tank chase. Its OTT but really well done with some excellent second unit work. Would take it anyday over some of the tired Moore car chases.
    @Birdelson. They did delete the tank chase through Moscow...

...so they did one through St Petersburg instead. ;-)
    You mean "Pinewood" ;)
    jobo wrote:
    You mean "Pinewood" ;)

Or Leavesden? ;-)
    jobo wrote:
    You mean "Pinewood" ;)

Or Leavesden? ;-)

True, I forgot! :))
    Tank you, @WillyGalore.
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    @MayDayDiVicenzo - I would say the score is more than just a little generic.

I do love Kamen's Bond theme, though. I like how it's used in the tanker scenes.

Yeah I agree! I have no problem with his Bond theme, I just think he relies on it FAR too much. The whole film feels like it's scored by various renditions of the Bond theme. Maybe that's just a gauge of how memorable the score is? haha

If only Barry had stayed on for just one more film...
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    He could have stayed on until the day he died as far as I'm concerned!
    pachazo wrote:
    He could have stayed on until the day he died as far as I'm concerned!

Why not score Bond24 with some of his old work? Are there legalities involved that prevents it?
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    edited May 2014 Posts: 7,314
    I have no clue but it sounds like an interesting idea. I wouldn't want them to use any previously released material but if there is some unheard Barry music sitting around collecting dust somewhere then I could go for it.
    Birdleson wrote:
    @Birdelson. They did delete the tank chase through Moscow...

...so they did one through St Petersburg instead. ;-)

My mistake.

We don't want to piss off Putin any more than is necessary. ;-)
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    BAIN123 wrote:
    I might just be getting confused. I was referring to the final battles. I know Spy definitely has a vehicle flying into water but thought Twice did too. Maybe it didn't :-?

Yes, in YOLT a car is picked up with that helicopter with a magnet, but that is earlier in the film and not at the final battle.

http://caseypoma.files.wordpress.com/2012/08/you-only-live-twice-helicopter-magnet-car-sedan.png?w=853&h=480
    Who doesn't remember the car magnet? I just thought for some reason that there was a jeep falling into water during the final battle too.
  • MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.
    It was if I remember right a Mini Moke and not a jeep.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Birdleson wrote:
    As with every other time I finish going through the whole series, I feel a little blue for the next few days, not having another Bond film on tap. It's an odd come down.

I agree. Well I'm not sure you own it, but even though it's unofficial, Netflix Instant has NSNA up for viewing.
    BAIN123 wrote:
    I love the tank chase. Its OTT but really well done with some excellent second unit work. Would take it anyday over some of the tired Moore car chases.

It's quintessential Bond. Who else could just hop into a Russian tank and immediately take the measure of it? And crashing through all that Perrier? Wonderschon! Not to mention the winged statue atop the tank, Bond straightening his tie--this has a Fleming heritage--and Ouromov's taking to drink along with his "Use de bumper! That's what it's for!" It's vintage Bondian mayhem and fun at its very best.

• edited May 2014 Posts: 2,483
    Creasy47 wrote:
    Birdleson wrote:
    As with every other time I finish going through the whole series, I feel a little blue for the next few days, not having another Bond film on tap. It's an odd come down.

I agree. Well I'm not sure you own it, but even though it's unofficial, Netflix Instant has NSNA up for viewing.

I used to experience the same let-down after a Bondathon. My solution was to continually watch a different Bond film every three weeks. Problem solved.

Speaking of which...

I watched LTK last night. This film just continues to rise in my esteem. It's now up to No. 3.

The pacing of LTK is just so dam' good. There's nary a dull or even slow frame. The excitement and expense is maintained from beginning to end.

And something else that occurred to me with this viewing is that LTK is a dashedly funny Bond film. It doesn't contain a lot of thigh-slappers, but there are little chuckles galore. Sanchez is a riot; Truman-Lodge has a few good witticisms, and then there's the priceless Professor Joe, not to mention the tableside repartee in the Barrelhead Bar before the big fight. How people conclude that LTK is a grim, joyless film is beyond me. To my mind the only funnier Bond films are DAF, MR and LALD.

On another note, gawd Carey Lowell is gorgeous in this film. I'm usually not one to act all giddy over an actress, but she was a knockout supreme-deluxe. Perhaps the sexiest Bond girl of them all.

One more positive: Kamen's score is underrated. No, it's not up there with Barry's efforts, but it's pretty darned good. An important goal of film scoring is to not detract from the film--or to distract the viewer a la Arnold's bombasm in TND--and Kamen achieves this. He even manages to add to the film in a few instances.

My only problems with LTK are some dodgy acting by Grand L. Bush and Talisa Soto, and the totally inappropriate choice of Gladys Knight to do the title track (Binder's accompanying titles also are no great shakes). Otherwise, LTK is absolutely superb.

I wouldn't say Carey is the sexiest, but she is one fantastic looking woman in LTK. Definitely one of my favorites.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    LTK is my #2 Bond film... I mean, #1- no...#2... wait-!
    chrisisall wrote:
    LTK is my #2 Bond film... I mean, #1- no...#2... wait-!

How ironic that possibly the least remembered and definitely the lowest grossing Bond film is now recognized by many as one of the very best.

BAIN123 wrote:

It's quintessential Bond. Who else could just hop into a Russian tank and immediately take the measure of it? And crashing through all that Perrier? Wonderschon! Not to mention the winged statue atop the tank, Bond straightening his tie--this has a Fleming heritage--and Ouromov's taking to drink along with his "Use de bumper! That's what it's for!" It's vintage Bondian mayhem and fun at its very best.

"Quintesential, vintage Bond mayhem"? When do we ever se the character react like that in the old classic films? Mayhem, nonsensical destruction and endangering of civilians is really not something relatable to the character of James Bond (up until the Brosnan era, anyway...). Roger Moore teared down Paris and San Francisco in one film. Apart from that the tank scene is very much a product of the Brosnan era.

Feel free to enjoy it of course, I'll not argue with your opinion or general tastes, but don't talk it up to something it isn't...

edited May 2014 Posts: 40,490
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Moore wreak quite a lot of damage and mayhem during the boat chase in LALD? He also damaged quite a lot and endangered a good amount of civilians in the OP tuk-tuk chase scene. Bond also does a good deal of damage against the cops in DAF. Aren't they just pursuing him for speeding? (Can't recall, so this point might be irrelevant.) Then you also have him destroying property and endangering the lives of innocent police officers and civilians during the fire-truck chase scene in AVTAK.

So really, the tank chase scene in GE isn't any different in the fact that who else can slyly hop in a tank and chase down a single car with such a cool, calm attitude like Bond? Nobody. It is quintessential Bond.
  • edited May 2014 Posts: 7,500
    Practically all of those scenes have in common that it is the bad guys chasing Bond that does the real destruction, not Bond himself. And in those scenes Bond at least tries his best to avoid hitting and bumping into things after being forced into dangerous situations. In the tank chase on the other hand, he casually and willingly bulldozes on top of motorized cars and plows through houses. Of course there is a difference. Adding to that there is a difference between being chased and forced into dangerous situations, and Bond himself doing the chasing. And my point wasn't that vaguely similar scenes have never occurred through out the series, but that it can not really be regarded as vintage or quintessential. It's bad choice of words if anything.

And I don't think this scene qualifies as a great demonstration of Bond's skills or competence. The only thing we get to know from the scene is that somewhere along the way he learned to drive a tank. And his actions are simply not coherent with what the classic character of James Bond would do.
    Perhaps not "vintage," but I would say "quintessential" in that it's something you'd only find done so casually in a Bond film. Plus, in that scene, he's in a tank chasing them down, of course he's going to be causing destruction. If he had another choice of vehicle (say, a jeep or a car), then he would have pursued like usual and there wouldn't have been as much damage, but he plowed through that building because there was no other way around it, and he ran over those cars because he couldn't get around them with ease.

You see his talents crop up everywhere, it doesn't make the scene useless. We hear him use numerous languages throughout the series and we see him pilot many, many different types of vehicles while using tons of different weapons. I'd say it's spicing it up and adding something new rather than "Oh, by the way, he knows how to drive a tank, that's why we put this scene in the film."
    Adding something different it sure is. It's just not to my taste. Casual destruction is simply not something I'd like to be associated with Bond and his films. However I'm willing to accept that others enjoy it, it's just not for me. I know I am in the minority after all regarding this scene…

And regarding these claims:

"He's in a tank chasing them down, of course he's going to be causing destruction."

That's the point. For me it's something the character wouldn't do. And honestly, with some minor maneuvering skills he could at least have tried not to drive straight over those cars. It just seems unnecessary violent to me...

"But I would say "quintessential" in that it's something you'd only find done so casually in a Bond film."

I find this an odd statement considering that practically no scene in the series up to that point portrays Bond in a situation like that. And although I can't give you a concrete example right now, I'm pretty certain you would find similar scenes in other action flicks. By comparison, is the act of "casually" and "cooly" firing a machine gun like Brosnan does so often through his tenure, "quintessential Bond"?

But I think I will give it a rest now. This topic is not terribly important to me. Like I said I have no problem with other people loving that scene. It's just not for me, and not something I would consider a "typical Bond moment". End of story, no hard feelings! :)>-
    I suppose the bike chase in TND is in theory more believable and more in line with Bond. However I don't find it as entertaining as the tank chase as I think it goes on too long and Broz says too many one liners.

And just to point out: The main reason why I'm not warming to the Tank Scene, is not that he endangers civilians, but that you get the feeling that Bond is the only person that's in no real danger throughout. It's just the wrong way around and dilutes some of the suspense, and that is one of the reasons why I might prefer the bike chase in TND although both scenes from an objective point of view, are equally well executed…

Okay, that's it. I'm done... for now! :))
    jobo wrote:
    Adding something different it sure is. It's just not to my taste. Casual destruction is simply not something I'd like to be associated with Bond and his films. However I'm willing to accept that others enjoy it, it's just not for me. I know I am in the minority after all regarding this scene…

And regarding these claims:

"He's in a tank chasing them down, of course he's going to be causing destruction."

That's the point. For me it's something the character wouldn't do. And honestly, with some minor maneuver skills he could at least have tried not to drive straight over those car. It just seems unnecessary violent to me...

"But I would say "quintessential" in that it's something you'd only find done so casually in a Bond film."

I find this an odd statement considering that practically no scene in the series up to that point portrays Bond in a situation like that. And although I can't give you a concrete example right now, I'm pretty certain you would find similar scenes in other action flicks. By comparison, is the act of "casually" and "cooly" firing a machine gun like Brosnan does so often through his tenure, "quintessential Bond"?

But I think I will give it a rest now. This topic is not terribly important to me. Like I said I have no problem with other people loving that scene. It's just not for me, and not something I would consider a "typical Bond moment". End of story, no hard feelings! :)>-

You know what the new chap says?

"Do I look if I give a damn?"

And anytime Brosnan does it it is labeled unBond.
    SaintMark wrote:
    You know what the new chap says?

"Do I look if I give a damn?"

And anytime Brosnan does it it is labeled unBond.

If you are referring to "new twists" on Bond's character in general, as I said I'm all for it if its done well and cleverly. But I don't have to like every new idea, do I? And that goes for both Brosnan's and Craigs tenures as Bond.

If you are referring to the fact that nonsensical destruction also appear in Craig's films, I'm fully aware of that fact, and I never said I'm completely fine with all of it, did I? However I am more willing to accept him blowing up the embassy in Madagascar, because the film makes a conscious effort to point out that it was a mistake done by an inexperienced, reckless Bond, and in fact the act sets up one of the main themes of the film: Him learning to overcome his ego and boyish recklessness and realize that there is such a thing as "the big picture". The very point is that his actions were not correct, and an immature thing to do. Adding to that the sequence as a whole is more suspenseful as Bond is transparent and in real danger, not hidden away behind a heavy wall of metal.

I think him tearing down the Venetian house at the end of the film is a bit unnecessary too, and I would maybe have preferred another staging of that ending. I'm not crazy about the havoc he creates in the Bazar in Istanbul in the Syfall PTS either… But again I find those to be more thrilling sequences as he has to demonstrate some real skill, and is in some real danger. If it was Brosnan he probably would have splashed straight through the marked with his tank…

Finally, the point of this discussion was wether these actions can be labeled "quintessential", "vintage" Bond. As far as I am concerned, no. And that speaks for all the sequences I mentioned.