Last Bond Movie You Watched

Comments

• edited March 2018 Posts: 17,333
    BAIN123 wrote: »
    My favourite bit of YOLT is probably Henderson's death and the following fight in Osato's office.

And what an office it is! Set pieces in YOLT are fantastic throughout. Those sofas, though - they must be very light?
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    bondjames wrote: »
    I love the use of the Bond theme just after Bond kills Hendersons assassin.

Jump to 3:04
    Yes me too. It's very well done. Barry was just so good at finessing it delicately while still bringing something new every time. Here it has a bit of a Japanese flavour and in DAF (after he meets MP and rides off in the hovercraft) it has a wind blown flavour which also mirrors the accompanying scene. Brilliant stuff.

When I have said in other threads that I don't care who scores the film, so long as the Bond theme is used, I make an exception for John Barry, because he truly was the master when it came to scoring a Bond film. He might have made a rare mistake by having the Bond theme loudly playing while Bond is checking his room for bugs. But that was a tiny blemish on his record.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?

Yes me too. It's very well done. Barry was just so good at finessing it delicately while still bringing something new every time. Here it has a bit of a Japanese flavour and in DAF (after he meets MP and rides off in the hovercraft) it has a wind blown flavour which also mirrors the accompanying scene. Brilliant stuff.

When I have said in other threads that I don't care who scores the film, so long as the Bond theme is used, I make an exception for John Barry, because he truly was the master when it came to scoring a Bond film. He might have made a rare mistake by having the Bond theme loudly playing while Bond is checking his room for bugs. But that was a tiny blemish on his record.
    I agree. Barry learned how to weave it in with new melodies and themes (which he was so good at creating) in later films (beginning with TB I think), and that's what made it sound so fresh each time. One of my favourite versions is in This Never Happened To The Other Feller from OHMSS, which is such a brilliant track. The one-off composers did that too, mainly because they weren't Barry (as an example, Submarine in FYEO or Bond 77 in TSWLM).

One of the reasons I think some (like myself) have issues with Arnold's tenure (apart for the overuse of drums and the lack of suspenseful melodic flourishes), is because he was unable to incorporate the Bond theme in a manner which sounded fresh and harmonic, at least imho. I'm glad he chose not to do so in last few Bond scores.
    To pay tribute to Lewis Gilbert, I had to watch one of his Bond movies yesterday. But which one to choose ? I had already watched TSWLM as a tribute to Richard Kiel, and YOLT as a tribute to Karin Dor. So all that was left was MR, and it's not one of my favourites. Too many clownish moments, I guess (double-taking pigeon, Jaws flapping his arms, or falling in love, that kind of things). But when it gets serious, it is really serious (Bond in the centrifuge -no one-liners here-, the death of Corinne, Jaws in the back alley), and with a wonderful villain (even if his plan had no chance to work in real life - somebody would have found out before the space station was operational, and glass can't protect toxins agains the heat of reentry). So, not the worst, but not the best either. IMHO, Lewis Gilbert's best Bond is still, and will always be TSWLM.
  • GBFGBF

Barry is a genious when it comes to composing. He will always be my favourite Bond composer. I think, however, that he sometimes made strange choices. It is not only the inapropriate inclusion of the Bond theme in FRWL or at the end of OHMSS (one could also add the Little Nelly scene to this list), but also his decisions to spoil one of the series' best stunts by using a slide whistle and a decent pts in AVTAK by the annoying California Girls song.
    That wasn’t Barry who put the Bond theme into FRWL
    GE

I was in the mood for something iconic. This hit the spot. Pure Bond movie making perfection in my humble view. The last film made under Cubby’s watch has his DNA imprinted within. 23 years later it’s still as impressive as it was that first night so long ago. There’s a lightness of touch here, a welcome lack of ponderousness which has characterized more recent output. Every interaction is on point. Supporting characters are lively, charismatic and inform the narrative, and the plot is tight. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it now: If Brosnan had only played Bond like this throughout his tenure, he would probably be my # three Bond behind Connery and Moore, rather than bottom of the pile. He’s restrained here and his worst impulses and tics are kept in check by Martin Campbell, who deserves a lot of credit for what he was able to achieve with this film. He smartly modernized Bond while still harking back to the classics. Michael France’s script is actually quite modern, at least in the context of #MeToo. Great viewing of this one. This is the James Bond I know and love. Stylish, smooth & insouciant while still deadly lethal. Let’s have him back soon please.
  • RemingtonRemington I'll do anything for a woman with a knife.
    GE

I was in the mood for something iconic. This hit the spot. Pure Bond movie making perfection in my humble view. The last film made under Cubby’s watch has his DNA imprinted within. 23 years later it’s still as impressive as it was that first night so long ago. There’s a lightness of touch here, a welcome lack of ponderousness which has characterized more recent output. Every interaction is on point. Supporting characters are lively, charismatic and inform the narrative, and the plot is tight. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it now: If Brosnan had only played Bond like this throughout his tenure, he would probably be my # three Bond behind Connery and Moore, rather than bottom of the pile. He’s restrained here and his worst impulses and tics are kept in check by Martin Campbell, who deserves a lot of credit for what he was able to achieve with this film. He smartly modernized Bond while still harking back to the classics. Michael France’s script is actually quite modern, at least in the context of #MeToo. Great viewing of this one. This is the James Bond I know and love. Stylish, smooth & insouciant while still deadly lethal. Let’s have him back soon please.

Seconded.
    GE

I don't believe Brossa tics and worst impulses were kept in check as you say. In fact this is where it started imho. Eyebrow raising and tie straighten in the tank chase, that hard swallow he does when Zulkovsky tells him the horrible singer ion stage is his mistress, the awful double take he does in the lift with Natalya announces sarcastically "I m fine!" And of course the infamous 'pain face' when Onnatop
    has him in her thighs!
    And "ponderous" is a word made for GE, particularly the first half!
    Mathis1 wrote: »
    GE

I don't believe Brossa tics and worst impulses were kept in check as you say. In fact this is where it started imho. Eyebrow raising and tie straighten in the tank chase, that hard swallow he does when Zulkovsky tells him the horrible singer ion stage is his mistress, the awful double take he does in the lift with Natalya announces sarcastically "I m fine!" And of course the infamous 'pain face' when Onnatop
    has him in her thighs!

I could be wrong,but I get a niggling feeling you don't like GE or Brozza ;)
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    GE

has him in her thighs!

What makes you say GE is ponderous? Can you give an example?
    barryt007 wrote: »
    GE

has him in her thighs!

Haha. Your niggling feeling is right! I don't get the love for this Bond film. It rates at the bottom with the rest of Brossa efforts.
    Re ponderous, yes I find all the early stuff at the Severanya station and Natalyas escape and all the stuff at MI6 rather boring! And the big reveal of 006 at the graveyard doesn't impress as I find the dialog rather cringey.
    barryt007 wrote: »
    GE

has him in her thighs!

Haha. Your niggling feeling is right! I don't get the love for this Bond film. It rates at the bottom with the rest of Brossa efforts.
    Re ponderous, yes I find all the early stuff at the Severanya station and Natalyas escape and all the stuff at MI6 rather boring! And the big reveal of 006 at the graveyard doesn't impress as I find the dialog rather cringey.

I must admit,even though GE is sitting pretty at #6 in my rankings,the Severnaya attack and Natalya's escape is something I find pretty boring,and I usually fast forward through it.

It's usually a bad sign when you have to fast forward a Bond film. I must admit too, that even though I'm a fan of Sean Bean, I can't stand his accent here. It really irritates!
    There is a lot of drama in that section. I like it.
    edited March 2018 Posts: 23,883
    GE

has him in her thighs!
    Surely eyebrow raising is something we expect of Bond? After all, Connery and Moore were masters of it. I'd appreciate a return of that actually. Scorupco does a fantastic eyebrow raise too.

I agree on the tie tightening though. I didn't like it here and I especially didn't like it in TWINE. Neither did I like the idiotic cuff straightening in SF for that matter.

With regards to his reactions to Zulkovksy and Natalya, I found them quite agreeable, particularly in comparison to some of the distinct and uncomfortable overacting which arrived in later installments.

RE: Pain face: I draw your attention to his reaction to Alec's supposed death in the PTS. A very restrained and believable performance from Brosnan, again compared to the antics which came later. I can forgive his reaction when stuck between Zenya's thighs, because it was appropriate for the scene (unlike when he normally shows pain face in his films).

Finally, regarding it being 'ponderous': I think GE exhibits an airy, breezy and buoyant tone from start to finish. This is something I'd really like a return to shortly, and perhaps this rumoured Hodge/Boyle film will finally deliver it again.

I quite liked the entire Severnaya sequence too. Then again, I'm a big Natalya fan, so anytime she hogs the screen I'm a happy camper.
    Oh Natalya is one of the very few good things about GE. I would add Kleinmans titles (though not the mediocre song!)Robbie Coltranes Zulkovsky character and the shootout in the book depository. Apart from that it's utter bore of a Bond film and can't see why it attracts so much positivity!
    Oh and Brossa is very wooden throughout!
    Oh Natalya is one of the very few good things about GE. I would add Kleinmans titles (though not the mediocre song!)Robbie Coltranes Zulkovsky character and the shootout in the book depository. Apart from that it's utter bore of a Bond film and can't see why it attracts so much positivity!
    Oh and Brossa is very wooden throughout!

Just out of interest,if you were forced to,what would be your rankings from 1st to 4th of the Brosnan films ?

If you were putting a gun to my head!
    1. TWINE
    2. TND/GE

4. DAD
    If you were putting a gun to my head!
    1. TWINE
    2. TND/GE

4. DAD

Haha thanks,i was just curious..have a stiff drink and you will be fine in no time. ;)

Would need more than 1 if all I had was the Brossa era to watch!! Shudder (doesn't bear thinking about!)
    TND

Motivated by a characteristically positive experience with GE the previous night, I took in a viewing of its successor. This is an entry which is often mentioned as 'peak Brosnan' by members on this forum. It's an opinion I can't agree with. In fact, on the contrary I believe this is the film where it all started to go wrong. Extremely 'by the numbers', pedestrian and predictable, this one gives off the impression of a film made by student fanboys who grew up obsessing over the Gilbert films. Certain scenes are so obviously reminiscent of the earlier entries that it's almost shameful. While Cubby and Hamilton wisely agreed with Roger Moore that they should initially avoid putting him in situations which could solicit direct comparisons with Connery (for legitimate fear of coming off unfavourably), here Babs, Spottiswoode and Brosnan unwisely (and perhaps hubristically) attempt the opposite, and imho suffer the consequences. Despite this terrible miscalculation, which was later again made on SP (will they ever learn?), there's a lot to like here. The stunts and action are very well handled (state of the art for their time imho), and the premise of a media baron manipulating headlines for his benefit seems quite prescient in an era of 'fake news'. Most notably, the PTS remains a highlight of the series, and the bike sequence is quite superb.

Where the film fails is in the characterizations, which suffer in comparison to GE. None of the players resonate for me, particularly Teri Hatcher's Paris. This is the woman the great Bond (who has bedded so many beauties in his life) fell in love with? Please.... At least cast someone like Eva Green if you want credibility. Similarly, Michelle Yeoh's Wai Lin is made out to be a serial butt kicker and yet typically has to be rescued by Bond at the end. Brosnan is good at the start of the film, but in my view he descends into affected smarminess by the time he hits Germany & it's all downhill from here. There's none of the edginess which characterized his turn in GE, although he has a good moment during the Kaufmann scene. Someone should tell these guys (Brosnan in the past, and more recently Craig) to stop trying to imitate Roger Moore. It's an unwise move.

In the end I think GE created a problem for the Brosnan era. As a series rejuvenating greatest hits formula package it was so well done that it maybe boxed them in for the immediate future and cast an air of predictability over the franchise. I think this film made the producers realize that they needed new ideas. Enter P&W for TWINE, and the rest for better or worse as they say, is history.
    Apparently Monica Belluci was considered for Paris originally. But I doubt the wonderful Monica could have saved it!
    I agree it was inspired having a media mogul as a villain but they botched it. Carvers dialogue made up of sound bites and Pryce giving a panto performance! The script was unfinished going into production. Apparently original choice for Carver, Anthony Hopkins turning it down for that reason. Dench allegedly was also annoyed at no finished screenplay.
    I don't get the love for the bike chase either. The start of Vic Armstrong action going on forever (boat chase in TWINE) without any real thrills!
    Only real highlight is the Kaufman scene.
    In fact Schiavelli steals the film!
    Apparently Monica Belluci was considered for Paris originally. But I doubt the wonderful Monica could have saved it!
    I remember reading something about her being a potential TND pick, and should have made the connection (I didn't realize she was considered for Paris). She would have been far better than Hatcher, that's for sure.
    Carvers dialogue made up of sound bites and Pryce giving a panto performance! The script was unfinished going into production. Apparently original choice for Carver, Anthony Hopkins turning it down for that reason.
    I agree on the dialogue. It's really bad in places, and most notably in the end when Carver confronts Bond just prior to his demise. I'm glad whoever came up with this crap didn't get an opportunity to work on a Bond film again. Once more it reminds me of SP. Hopkins is a smart man to have stayed away!
    Brosnan really wanted Belluci to be Paris,but it never happened...unfortunately.
    TND feels very lightweight all round despite its bigger budget to GE.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Lightweight doesn't necessarily mean bad, which members here often mistake for.
    Indeed, in fact I think that is the main asset of TND. In these days of bloated Bond movies that take themselves way to seriously, TND is a breathe of fresh air. It's a throwback to films like TMWTGG which are a breeze to watch, and not too big scale.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Indeed, in fact I think that is the main asset of TND. In these days of bloated Bond movies that take themselves way to seriously, TND is a breathe of fresh air. It's a throwback to films like TMWTGG which are a breeze to watch, and not too big scale.
    +1. Well said.

It's re-watchability factor is immense,just like DAD,QoS,TMWTGG,AVTAK & DAF.