Last Bond Movie You Watched

Comments

• MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    BAIN123 wrote: »
    The M scenes were at least done with a bit of class.

I can't forgive them for allowing M to call Bond misogynistic.
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    Quite - at least call Bond at chauvinist, instead of a misogynist.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    royale65 wrote: »

I'm fine with M calling Bond sexist or chauvinist, because in most instances it is true. But misogyny implies Bond hates women, which couldn't be any further from the truth. If that wasn't enough, then we have Moneypenny... there had to be a better way to handle the "It's the 90's" attitude.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?

I'm fine with M calling Bond sexist or chauvinist, because in most instances it is true. But misogyny implies Bond hates women, which couldn't be any further from the truth.
    I've said this before but it's worth repeating. The incumbent Bond actor has referred to Bond as a misogynist in interviews around the time of SP's release. Hardly flattering to the character.
    bondjames wrote: »

I'm fine with M calling Bond sexist or chauvinist, because in most instances it is true. But misogyny implies Bond hates women, which couldn't be any further from the truth.
    I've said this before but it's worth repeating. The incumbent Bond actor has referred to Bond as a misogynist in interviews around the time of SP's release. Hardly flattering to the character.

Yes, we've talked about this before. At the risk of outing myself as anti-Craig (for want for a better term), if that is how he feels, then maybe he should back out of the role effective immediately, preferably in favour of an actor that would do their homework on Bond, and use that knowledge to defend the character when he is called out for being this or that. If that is what he truly feels, then why take the part on in the first place?

Yes, we've talked about this before. At the risk of outing myself as anti-Craig (for want for a better term), if that is how he feels, then maybe he should back out of the role effective immediately, preferably in favour of an actor that would do their homework on Bond, and use that knowledge to defend the character when he is called out for being this or that. If that is what he truly feels, then why take the part on in the first place?
    He said a few things around the time of the SP press tour that were less than complimentary, and prior to that too. I can only assume it reflected his opinion at the time and perhaps his desire to get out then (I'm quite certain he wanted out after SP).

I can assure you we won't hear a peep out of him this time around. Mark my words. They've probably given him a good talking to.

He said a few things around the time of the SP press tour that were less than complimentary, and prior to that too. I can only assume it reflected his opinion at the time and perhaps his desire to get out then (I'm quite certain he wanted out after SP).

I can assure you we won't hear a peep out of him this time around. Mark my words. They've probably given him a good talking to.

We'll see. He has terminal 'foot in mouth' disease. He reminds me of Gerald Ratner in that way.
  • edited March 2018 Posts: 684
    Remington wrote: »
    QOS, especially when watched after CR, is a masterpiece. There I said it.
    I agree that QOS is better when you watch it immediately after CR.
    I think it works the other way, too. I enjoy CR more if I watch QOS after.

I'm fine with M calling Bond sexist or chauvinist, because in most instances it is true. But misogyny implies Bond hates women, which couldn't be any further from the truth. If that wasn't enough, then we have Moneypenny... there had to be a better way to handle the "It's the 90's" attitude.
    Mislabeling aside, the thing that irks me most about that scene is the obvious way it preemptively attempts to appease criticism without offering anything more than a surface-level soundbite. "Sexist, misogynist dinosaur" is there to do exactly what it has done for twenty years—turn up quoted whenever someone's going on about Bond and changing attitudes and women. It's a easy landmark that the filmmakers could point at and say, "Hey, we're aware. Don't equate us and him," without actually offering anything deeper. CR on the other hand has depth and ends up being far less in your face. It actually invites you to examine the character.
  • edited March 2018 Posts: 11,189

Hmm...I'm not entirely sure. Misogynist defined on Google as "strongly prejudiced against women". There are times when this occurs in the books (Bond's "pots and pans" rant). Bond may not have disliked women, but I think he had certain views on their places in society. Hence he could be misogynist.

@Strog the soundbite comment is a fair point.

I would chalk those up to his sexism or chauvinism. I view misogyny as being something else entirely, more extreme.
    An example?
    edited March 2018 Posts: 13,894
    An example?

Of what? I said in another post that misogyny implies a hatred of women. Bond doesn't hate women, most of the time he just uses them to satisfy his sexual appetite, those that he doesn't develop feelings for (beyond lust).
    An example?

Of what? I said in another post that misogyny implies a hatred of women. Bond doesn't hate women, most of the time he just uses them to satisfy his sexual appetite.
    An example?

Someone who is chauvinist vs someone who is mysoginist.
    edited March 2018 Posts: 13,894
    I was editing my post when you quoted me, but by quoting my original post, you answered for me. And if they were the same, then we wouldn't have sexism and misogyny, it would be one or the other. Smacking Dink on the back side, followed by "man talk" could be chalked up to sexism. But that doesn't show Bond to have a hatred of women.
    Who says M is supposed to be right? Bond wasn't right about her being a bean counter. They've both already made their mind up about one another but once they get to size eachother up properly, they realise "hey, maybe I was wrong about him/her" and come to a mutual understanding and respect. It's a great scene imo.
    but that’s my point. Aren’t they essentially the same thing? Bond gets annoyed and angry with women on several occasions and makes it clear he doesn’t think they should work alongside men in the grown up world of espionage. Maybe not hatred but certainly “strongly prejudiced”.
    Who says M is supposed to be right? Bond wasn't right about her being a bean counter. They've both already made their mind up about one another but once they get to size eachother up properly, they realise "hey, maybe I was wrong about him/her" and come to a mutual understanding and respect. It's a great scene imo.

I’m with you on that. They size each other up but both have a respect for one another.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    but that’s my point. Aren’t they essentially the same thing? Bond gets annoyed and angry with women on several occasions and makes it clear he doesn’t think they should work alongside men in the grown up world of espionage. Maybe not hatred but certainly “strongly prejudiced”.
    That's chauvinism, not misogynous.

Misogyny is when a man is not only prejudiced but also has hatred towards women, viewing them as nothing better than objects who are not entitled to make decisions, "because they're always wrong". Misandry is the genders swapped.

Chauvinism applies for both, when a man thinks he's smarter, more intelligent and the better sex of the species, or a woman thinks that about men. Clearly, the Bond of the films is a chauvinist. The literary Bond on the other hand? Yes, he's a misogynist, at least in the first few novels, especially when he felt the hatred and rage towards Vesper when she was sent to be with him in the field.
    Just started TWINE.
    FoxRox wrote: »
    Just started TWINE.
    My condolences.
    One of those unusual cases I was just in the mood.
    Was Llewelyn planning on quitting after TWINE? It sure seemed like it with his last scene.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Was Llewelyn planning on quitting after TWINE? It sure seemed like it with his last scene.

Due to his age, he was prepared it might be his last, and asked for an assistant that could eventually take over.

I remember thinking that when I first saw the film in 1999.
    Pretty good viewing of TWINE. Sophie and Pierce really carry it. It is very flawed, but has some great things (Q’s goodbye, Elektra, the PTS, Valentin).
    Don't forget to update the BOND MOVIE METER.
    Just finished YOLT. First good viewing in ages. This one was actually my #1 back in 2011.
  • GBFGBF
    Quantum of Solace

During the last month I have watched all the Bond films together wth my girl friend. We have now finally come to watch QoS.

My opinion about QoS is probably never going to change much. I think it is a solid and generic modern action film with a relatively serious plot. However, it lacks everything that I love about the Bond films. I would even say that every Bondian element is missing here: gun barrel, Bondian song and TS, Q, Money penny, any kind of humour, witty one-liners, set pieces, well edited actions sequences, strong and memorable villains, interesting locations (what do we get to know about Bolivia?).

For a serious spy thriller I also miss any kind of plot twist. Most of the action is predictable. The characters are either entirely good or bad. The villains are uncharismatic and weak. The final scene where Greene admits that he told Bond everything he wanted to know about Quantum just shows what a fool he is. Is that how you make a deal? Tell everything and then hope the other one will let you go?

I also dislike that Bond is simply too clever and too strong compared to the villains. There is actually no scene where the villains are ahead of Bond.

I really like the down to earth plot. However, I miss the use of an impressive water supply realted set piece . As it is, the film could have easily been about oil, gold or diammonds. I also find that the film tries a bit too hard to be politically correct by showing the problems od the poor, the bad CIA, the bad capitalists. For being a clever spy thriller, this all is a bit too simple and uninventive. Then better watch films like "The Constant Gardener".

What do I like about it. Well, I guess that most actors did a fine job. The score is at least OK, and I appreciate the idea of introducing Quantum as a modern version of SPECTRE. There is some nice dialouge and I like the relationship between Matthis and Bond. On the contrary, I hate the permanent references to Vesper.
    I just started QOS!!
  • RemingtonRemington I'll do anything for a woman with a knife.
    I just started QOS!!

Well done.