Last Bond Movie You Watched

Comments

Picked up the Connery Collection Vol 2 Blu Ray set from Target yesterday. Two films: YOLT and DAF I didn't have on Blu-Ray. Needless to say, I've been very slowly upgrading and only have a few of the classic Bonds left so I was pleased to get this. I must say, what's with Blu-Ray and DVD artwork in 2016? The white background simple picture trend seems to dominate pretty much all Blu-ray/DVD covers these days.
    Anyway, I popped in DAF and watched it all the way thru.
    I must say I was very impressed with the picture this time round. The color timing looks truest to the 35mm print I saw some years back. Had the film contained the original United Artists Transamerica logo it would be perfect! I chose the mono track because, well, the newer remastered stereo DTS versions contain enough changes in sound effects, music,, etc it's like picking the 1997 Lucas Star Wars edits over the originals.
    As for the film itself, I've always enjoyed it's weird quirky vibe. One thing I noticed this time I never really acknowledged before- Connery and Charles Gray have excellent Bond/Blofeld chemistry. Even more so than with Pleasance, they really needle each other throughout. Of course Pleasance didn't really have as many scenes with Sean the way Charles Gray does. Perhaps Christoph Waltz has given me a new appreciation for Gray's Blofeld?
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    AVTAK. I've said it before, but I've loved this movie ever since I first saw it as a young boy, and regardless of where it sits in my ranking, I love it. Sure, Moore may have overstayed his welcome in the age department for this one, but it's highly entertaining with a lot of solid moments and bits of action, and the psychotic Zorin/May Day duo is great to me.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    AVTAK. I've said it before, but I've loved this movie ever since I first saw it as a young boy, and regardless of where it sits in my ranking, I love it. Sure, Moore may have overstayed his welcome in the age department for this one, but it's highly entertaining with a lot of solid moments and bits of action, and the psychotic Zorin/May Day duo is great to me.

The face lift/wrinkles are pretty evident on bluray
    The blu-ray quality doesn't help Moore out at all; it's almost better to watch it on VHS.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    It's a guilty pleasure for me, :)
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    I just got the 23 film Bluray set yesterday and its pretty funny. I remember when I first ever watched AVTAK on TBS when it was the "Superstation" back in the day, I was like "Nah, that cant be Roger Moore."
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    All the truly great ones overstay their welcome. Shame really.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    bondjames wrote: »
    All the truly great ones overstay their welcome. Shame really.

Yes, I hate to say it, but there is a trend somewhat. Even in the sports world, the Greats outlive their greatness. Ali kept boxing way past his prime, Roger Federer hasn't won a Major in 4 years, and Ronaldo is yet to score in the Euros. I think the ego that it is needed to reach the top kind of becomes their undoing in the end. Sad really.
  • edited June 2016 Posts: 15,954

............I think Roger could have done one more. He looked even better in the Happy Anniversary 007 special than in View. I'm actually very partial to all the Bonds of the 80s as I vividly remember my first time seeing them. View in particular was a lot of fun to see with an audience. I should put this next on my list to upgrade to Blu-Ray.
  • edited June 2016 Posts: 154
    Was looking for a diversion the other night and popped in the blu ray of Octopussy. Love some of the lines in that one. "You, Mr. Bond, have nasty habit of … surviving." "Well, you know what they say about the fittest." =D> Movie was a tad too long, IMO, but lots of fun. I miss the fun. Hoping the next film embraces that old 007 fun and charm, instead of siding up to the dark side. We've had our bout with that for a while.
    I watched all of AVTAK last night and I enjoyed it for the most part. But it really loses steam once it reaches San Francisco. The first half of it is one my favourite acts in the whole series. The PTS (minus Beach Boys), Ascot, Paris, the whole sequence at Zorin's chateau. But once the pump station scene ends, it just fails for me. Its like one half of a great Bond film, followed by a lazy 80's didn't make the cut Dirty Harry film.
    What I don't get is why with all the technology available do they not fix a view to a kill and before people complain seriously using CGI to deage Moore to at least how he looked in octopussy and also using cgi to hide the doubles and stunt men it wouldn't make the film brilliant but it would certainty make it less laughable.
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    That's sacrilege.
    Come on, who doesn't adore those nice large wrinkles on his face?
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    You'll open Pandora's box. If you make one change, then where does it stop? Just ask George Lucas.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    pachazo wrote: »
    You'll open Pandora's box. If you make one change, then where does it stop? Just ask George Lucas.

It stops with @Thunderfinger erasing Brosnan from GE, TND, TWINE and DAD and adding Moore in these films. ;)
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    That would maybe help those films, but it wouldn t help Roger Moore.
    Jeez fine keep old man Moore if I really wanted to open Pandora's box I would digitally put Timothy Dalton in every bond film from ohmss - die another day... So it would go

Connery Dalton Craig

Yeah that would be perfect ;)
  • I watched GoldenEye the other day. It remains top flight Bond, with some of the most fun action and most well-developed characters in series history. Some find the 90's look dated or cheap, but for me it's just part of the movie's charm. It remains firmly entrenched in the top tier of Bond.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Birdleson wrote: »
    I'm watching A VIEW TO A KILL. It seems impossible that the team of John Glen and Willy Bogner were the only ones ever capable of creating superlative ski chases, yet we've gotten shite (mediocre or "okay" qualify as shite when we're talking about this franchise's history) since 1985.
    SP would have been a perfect time for Bond to be back on skis, post-clinic. Damn wasted opportunity there. Instead we got the somewhat hackneyed plane sequence.
  • Major_BoothroydMajor_Boothroyd Republic of Isthmus
    bondjames wrote: »
    Birdleson wrote: »
    I'm watching A VIEW TO A KILL. It seems impossible that the team of John Glen and Willy Bogner were the only ones ever capable of creating superlative ski chases, yet we've gotten shite (mediocre or "okay" qualify as shite when we're talking about this franchise's history) since 1985.
    SP would have been a perfect time for Bond to be back on skis, post-clinic. Damn wasted opportunity there. Instead we got the somewhat hackneyed plane sequence.

Completely agree. I still don't quite understand the reasoning for it. Word is that Craig isn't much chop on skis - but I don't think that should influence it - I mean 90% of the pre-title sequence in AVTAK is on the slopes and Roger Moore didn't even touch snow. TLD's snow bound scenes are a good way to do a different non-skiing alpine scene. I would have thought the Bond series would be chomping at the bit to do a modern ski scene.

@chrisisall, you'll be happy to know I got up very early this morning and felt like firing up TND, and for the first time in two or three years, I really enjoyed it!
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    @Creasy47 you are the man!
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    edited June 2016 Posts: 15,423
    Watched Octopussy.

There's nothing wrong with the film and it's a good Bond adventure... But, it's not among the movies that I love to watch. Sure, I love the story, mcguffin, some of the locations (aside from Germany), save it for the circus... It does, in a way, come off as bland... However, I can't help but love Maud Adams and Kristina Wayborn overtly. Lovely Bond Girls. I just wish they both had more to do.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    @chrisisall, you'll be happy to know I got up very early this morning and felt like firing up TND, and for the first time in two or three years, I really enjoyed it!
    That's funny, at work today I suddenly had a tremendous yen to see that myself!
    chrisisall wrote: »

Perhaps we've switched, and now you'll start disliking it!
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    chrisisall wrote: »

Perhaps we've switched, and now you'll start disliking it!
    I don't see pigs flying anytime soon...
    :))
    That would be sooie-t ;)
    That would be sooie-t ;)
    Ha ha!!

I recently finished two Bond films, Skyfall and Moonraker. About Skyfall, it's one of my favorites. I know there's a big thread here about how Skyfall is one of the most overrated Bond films, and I think there are weak points in the film and threads about things that're wrong with the movie. But I think it's a very solid and entertaining entry in the series.

About Moonraker, it's always been a sentimental favorite, though I know yes it has many weaknesses. "Uneven" might describe it. A little humor might've been okay, but yes they went way over the top at least three or four time, not to mention some clunky dialogue "I never learned to read" and Bond's sexist comments about Holly Goodhead. Still, I see it as a "big" Bond picture, with a good villain and a global threat Bond has to deal with...and there are good locations, so I had a good time watching it...plus lots of good-looking babes in there.
    edited June 2016 Posts: 13,384
    I can understand @Thrasos I too have a soft spot for Moonraker,
    it's just so in your face epic, b*lls to the wall, entertainment. Yes
    most if it doesn't make sense, but it's so confident in itself, so
    assured of its place in the entertain industry. It's a great film
    to simply switch off and just go with. :)