Before they were Bond

edited September 2013 in Actors Posts: 12,837
I found out something interesting and I wasn't sure where to post it but it gave me a good thread idea. What it says on the tin, what were the Bond actors like/what did they do, before they became 007.

Pierce Brosnan used to be a fire eater and became one because he noticed topless women. Legend.

http://www.cracked.com/article_20610_5-hilariously-bizarre-early-careers-famous-people.html

Comments

• Connery was a coffin polisher when he was younger (and no, that's not a euphemism).
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Ok that is a GREAT way to get inspired for a job. ;)
    I am still laughing. Good old Pierce.

Sean used to be a lorry driver, I remember that, and sang in the chorus of South Pacific musical.

Will read your link in a moment; thanks for sharing.
  • Sean Connery was also a milkman for a bit and he almost played for man united.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I don't believe I ever knew that about Brosnan. What a badass, and what a great article.
  • That was a decent read. Was aware Connery was a milk man before appearing in the James Bond franchise, but not a soccer player. Certainly would not have known of Brosnan's earlier talents without that. Anything about Lazenby, Moore or Craig in earlier careers we were not aware of ? Dalton also ! can't leave him out..
    DC just doing the obvious while ttrying to get jobs - waiting tables, working in factories, trying commercials (didn't work out, he couldn't do it ;) )
    Timothy Dalton's father had served in Special Operations during World War 2, and when Dalton was in his early teen's he wanted to be an Air Cadet. When he was 16, he watched a live performance of Macbeth and he says that it changed his life. From then, he decided that he wanted to be an actor and he joined a national youth theatre group..
    Zorin61 wrote:
    Timothy Dalton's father had served in Special Operations during World War 2, and when Dalton was in his early teen's he wanted to be an Air Cadet. When he was 16, he watched a live performance of Macbeth and he says that it changed his life. From then, he decided that he wanted to be an actor and he joined a national youth theatre group..

I've always admired that he didn't even discover acting until he was 16. He mastered his craft much, much faster than most.
  • edited September 2013 Posts: 6,601
    Zorin61 wrote:

I've always admired that he didn't even discover acting until he was 16. He mastered his craft much, much faster than most.

Are you serious? You make it sound like this is old just to jump to the conclusion, that he was faster then the rest. He was young and he took his time, which is what you should do.
    Like DC, who left school when he was 16 to learn his craft in London - he went to Guildhall etc etc...
  • SzonanaSzonana Mexico
    edited October 2015 Posts: 1,130
    Loved Pierce's story.
    I knew he was a fire eater but didn't know why he would start trying it but wow it does make sense, he really likes beautiful woman and that's part of what made him such a great and suave Bond.

He's always respectful but always admiting he enjoys seing good looking woman and the only who has admited he likes love scenes so getting in that class for the topless girls is so him.
  • I knew about Connery's earliest jobs before becoming an actor, but Brosnan's fire eating job makes me respect the man even more than I already do
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Roger Moore was a model - knitwear I think?
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    edited October 2015 Posts: 9,020
    Roger Moore had the best pre-Bond phase:

The Saint - I don't think I have to comment on that, it's TV history.
    The Persuaders - just before he became Bond Moore starred in 24 episodes of this in various parts of the world totally underrated and overlooked gem of a TV Show.
    Tony Curtis plays the other main character of Danny Wilde.
    Moore's Lord Brett Sinclair is as iconic as Simon Templar or James Bond...yeah, yeah...I'm a fanboy :))

• BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    A full episode of The Persuaders from 1971 The Time And The Place
    Full of humour, action and suspense.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://youtube.com/embed/zZeYTrtAfi8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  • edited October 2015 Posts: 14,824

The Persuaders - just before he became Bond Moore starred in 24 episodes of this in various parts of the world totally underrated and overlooked gem of a TV Show.
    Moore's Lord Brett Sinclair is as iconic as Simon Templar or James Bond...yeah, yeah...I'm a fanboy :))

He also played Ivanhoe (I haven't seen it, but it re-popularized the character for a whole generation). Bond truly was for him the consecration of an already fruitful career.
  • DariusDarius UK
    Roger Moore (as he was then) began his career after leaving school as a tracer and filler-in for Publicity Picture Productions in London, and animations company. He originally wanted to be an artist of some sort.
  • SzonanaSzonana Mexico
    Ludovico wrote: »

He also played Ivanhoe (I haven't seen it, but it re-popularized the character for a whole generation). Bond truly was for him the consecration of an already fruitful career.

all this acting expirience seems like it helped him a lot, especially off screen like handling the press, being so easy to work with and not taking things personal when he had to go and leavr any begrudes on the door.

Pierce and Connery's case ended up the way they did because of their lack of expirience, pierce latter seemed like he reconciled with Barbara but more time in the buissnes could have helped him leaving in a friendlier way