The Underrated Thread

Comments

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    edited March 2014 Posts: 45,489
    Mary Goodnight is underrated allright,@Birdleson.She was cute and fun.
  • edited March 2014 Posts: 19,339

She was a pain in the arse more like !

Scaramanga and Nic-Nac would be around for a re-match if it wasnt for that tart getting herself,and more importantly the Solex,thrown into a car boot.

But what an arse.
    But what an arse.

Aah now that i concur...could have some fun with that !

• edited March 2014 Posts: 11,189

No no no, we were getting on so well Thunderfinger :p I can't stand her - even if she is MEANT to be comic relief. I consider her and Jinx to be the 2 worst Bond girls.

I remember Moore himself called Britt a "silly cow" when I saw him in 2008.
    Haha. Silly cow? Maybe, but I enjoyed her in the film. Her looking out of the trunk in the flying car was a highlight. Wish she could have been a regular. Pepper is the annoying one.
    Ooh now her being a regular i couldnt handle..her arse couldnt save her then,i would have to throttle her.
  • edited March 2014 Posts: 11,189
    Haha. Silly cow? Maybe, but I enjoyed her in the film. Her looking out of the trunk in the flying car was a highlight. Wish she could have been a regular. Pepper is the annoying one.

For me both are annoying. I always find myself getting angry when her voice comes over the radio and Bond hands it over to Sheriff Pepper. Dahhh!!! It's not funny.

@barry. I'm glad an older fan finds her annoying too. I thought maybe my young age means I can't appreciate her sophisticated humour of a forgotten era. ;)

Genuinely horrid scene for me. It feels like its scraping the barrel for a laugh.

I'd rather watch Christmas coming twice a year...and I'm deadly serious.
    Hahaha agreed @BAIN ....on all counts.
    Tsk tsk. You are both young and unsophisticated. ;)
    Tsk tsk. You are both young and unsophisticated. ;)

Hahaha i will give you that,you have 3 years on me..

:-\"
  • edited October 2014 Posts: 1,595
    Similar to the Overrated thread only, obviously, aspects of the Bond world you find UNDER-RATED!

I'll start it off...

Most Underrated Bond Film: Moonraker - (It's far from my favorite film but it is bottom 3 on most lists.)
    Most Underrated Title Track: Another Way To Die
    Most Underrated Title Credits: From Russia With Love - (not sure if they're underrated - but I love em)
    Most Underrated PTS: n/a
    Most Underrated Score: GoldenEye
    Most Underrated Villain: Emilio Largo
    Most Underrated Ally: J.W. Pepper (if that doesn't count - Jack Wade)
    Most Underrated Bond Girl: Kara Milovy / Octopussy
    Most Underrated Henchman: Necros (if he's not underrated - Gobinda)

edit: Apologies Mods, didn't see this thread.
    Right now...

Most Underrated Bond Film: I really don't know... (on this website I've seen love for just about every one. OHMSS was underrated for a long time before the last couple years or so. In general I would say the most underrated Bond films are Dr. No, You Only Live Twice, Live and Let Die, Licence to Kill, The World is Not Enough, and Quantum of Solace)
    Most Underrated Title Track: All Time High (not one of my all-time favorite necessarily, but I don't see it get much respect at all, and I still enjoy the song)
    Most Underrated Title Credits: Dr. No (I don't see anyone talk about it... and they're simply awesome...)
    Most Underrated PTS: For Your Eyes Only (sure it's silly at times, but I was perfectly satisfied with Blofeld being killed off, regardless of how it was done)
    Most Underrated Score: GoldenEye (I've seen this a couple times on the overrated tread, and I'm not sure why. GE's soundtrack is hit-and-miss for me, but the good songs are great, like the PTS song and the one that plays when Bond meets Alec again)
    Most Underrated Villain: Auric Goldfinger (what is with all the hate lately???)
    Most Underrated Ally: Jack Wade (just because...)
    Most Underrated Bond Girl: Domino Derval (not enough respect; Top 5 Bond girl for me)
    Most Underrated Henchman: Irma Bunt (the woman who really killed Mrs. Bond...)
    Most Underrated Bond Film: FYEO
    Most Underrated Title Track: Tomorrow never dies
    Most Underrated Title Credits: No idea
    Most Underrated PTS: AVTAK
    Most Underrated Score: FYEO
    Most Underrated Villain: Emilio Largo
    Most Underrated Ally: Columbo?
    Most Underrated Bond Girl: Kara
    Most Underrated Minor Character: Dimitrios
    Most Underrated Henchman: Necros, or is he liked?
  • edited October 2014 Posts: 7,500
    Most Underrated Bond Film: Quantum Of Solace
    Most Underrated Title Track: From Russia With Love (One of the best... but seldom mentioned)
    Most Underrated Title Credits: Dr No
    Most Underrated PTS: Moonraker
    Most Underrated Score: The Man With The Golden (This one gets hammered a lot. Don't know why...?)
    Most Underrated Villain: Dominique Greene
    Most Underrated Ally: Mathis (Yes, I know he's quite popular, but he deserves even more recognition)
    Most Underrated Bond Girl: Melina Havelock
    Most Underrated Minor Character: Kronsteen (People have called him wooden... wth?)
    Most Underrated Henchman: Prof Dent (He has the most memorable death in the series)
    Murdock wrote: »
    Bond films : TND, TWINE, OP
    Title track : Another Way to Die.
    Title credits : Quantum of Solace. I liked it. Sue me.
    PTS : For Your Eyes Only
    Score : Die Another Day
    Villain : Hugo Drax
    Ally : Valentin
    Bond Girl : Domino Derval
    Minor Character : Chuck Lee
    Henchman/henchwoman : Patrice

Interesting choice for the PTS. I would like to know why.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    edited October 2014 Posts: 17,691
    Most Underrated Bond Film: TND
    Most Underrated Title Track: TMWTGG
    Most Underrated Title Credits: DN
    Most Underrated PTS: FYEO
    Most Underrated Score: LTK
    Most Underrated Villain: Dominic Greene
    Most Underrated Ally: Q
    Most Underrated Bond Girl: Wai Lin
    Most Underrated Minor Character: R
    Most Underrated Henchman: Dent
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    edited October 2014 Posts: 5,080
    Ludovico wrote: »
    Murdock wrote: »
    Bond films : TND, TWINE, OP
    Title track : Another Way to Die.
    Title credits : Quantum of Solace. I liked it. Sue me.
    PTS : For Your Eyes Only
    Score : Die Another Day
    Villain : Hugo Drax
    Ally : Valentin
    Bond Girl : Domino Derval
    Minor Character : Chuck Lee
    Henchman/henchwoman : Patrice

Interesting choice for the PTS. I would like to know why.

Say you want about "Blofeld" and his delicatessen in stainless steel, but you cannot deny the impressive stunt work that featured in this PTS.

You also have the tribute to Tracy, which I think is wonderful. Moore is very good in this scene.

And I really dig Conti's score, particularly when the helicopter emerges from the warehouse with the wheelchair stuck to it.

Overall, a pretty good PTS and a great big "f*ck you!" to Kevin McClory.
    True. I always thought that the tribute to Tracy was one of the greatest things not only in this PTS, but in all the PTS. Post OHMSS, it was by far the greatest homage to Tracy we ever saw. It is often forgotten because of that infamous line. And however unsatisfying was the killing of Blofeld, at this point I wonder what could have been done better with him.
    It is often forgotten because of that infamous line.
    I used to hate that PTS until someone pointed out that Blofeld was now crippled, insane & broke. In that light it all makes sense to me.
  • edited October 2014 Posts: 14,831
    chrisisall wrote: »
    It is often forgotten because of that infamous line.
    I used to hate that PTS until someone pointed out that Blofeld was now crippled, insane & broke. In that light it all makes sense to me.

Yes, people want him at the top of his game, while he obviously is not anymore. He might have spent his all his retirement money on the helicopter and the remote control. What bothers me slightly more is Bond's casual way of dealing with him, but then again... Why wouldn't he be happy to dispatch Tracy's killer and humiliating him in the mean time?
  • Most Underrated Bond Film: TB
    Most Underrated Title Track: TWINE
    Most Underrated Title Credits: QoS
    Most Underrated PTS: Goldfinger
    Most Underrated Score: TND
    Most Underrated Villain: Goldfinger
    Most Underrated Ally: Mathis
    Most Underrated Bond Girl: Domino
    Most Underrated Henchman: Zao
  • I didn't know what to put as my most underrated PTS, @sirseanisbond but Goldfinger is an excellent choice. It's easily my favorite of the whole series I think. It just has it all. But then again I think most people hold it in high regard so I couldn't use it on this particular list. Maybe I'm wrong!

Also nice to see some love for Thunderball. Always welcome.
    I think FYEO is the perfect pick for most underrated PTS, but of course, I'm biased in saying that. A lot of people wanted the serious, strong Blofeld back, but I didn't mind seeing him in a more insane and weak light. He was crippled and desperate at that point, anyway, having lost to Bond on most occasions (including having his neck broken). The delicatessen line is ridiculous, yes, but I just go with it. Also, at least dropping him down the chimney stack was original; I'd rather have that than simply having Bond shoot him or have him explode or something. I don't know I just thought it was a fun scene and was content with how Blofeld was killed.
    Judging by the pts elimination game, both GF and FYEO are criminally underrated.

Most underrated writer: Chris Wood.
    FoxRox wrote: »
    I think FYEO is the perfect pick for most underrated PTS, but of course, I'm biased in saying that. A lot of people wanted the serious, strong Blofeld back, but I didn't mind seeing him in a more insane and weak light. He was crippled and desperate at that point, anyway, having lost to Bond on most occasions (including having his neck broken). The delicatessen line is ridiculous, yes, but I just go with it. Also, at least dropping him down the chimney stack was original; I'd rather have that than simply having Bond shoot him or have him explode or something. I don't know I just thought it was a fun scene and was content with how Blofeld was killed.

Something that used to irk me more than anything else maybe the only thing in fact that truly irritated me, was the way Bond seemed so darn playful about it. Then I thought about it again and although questionable, it can be defended: Blofeld is broken and insane, a pathetic, grotesque clown, why wouldn't Bond feel happy about finally killing his nemesis in a humiliating way?
  • Judging by the pts elimination game, both GF and FYEO are criminally underrated.

Most underrated writer: Chris Wood.

Could not agree more...
    I might actually start a thread about the PTS of FYEO.
    I might actually start a thread about the PTS of FYEO.
    That would no doubt be fun.

And Chris Wood rocks. Besides his work on Bond he wrote Remo Williams, directed by Guy Hamilton, a cool Bond connection if there ever was one.

• AceHoleAceHole Belgium, via Britain
    Most Underrated Bond Film: LTK
    Yes it's weak in some aspects, but Dalton & Davi are a two-punch tour de force.

Most Underrated Title Track: TLD
    Get's a lot of stick on here, but I like it - dramatic & soaring

Most Underrated Title Credits: TND
    Slick & ties in well with the villain

Most Underrated PTS: FYEO
    Guess I like it 'cos it's the first PTS I remember clearly as a kid... pure nostalgia.

Most Underrated Score: AVTAK
    It's bombastic & powerful, if a little too 80's in some places

Most Underrated Villain: Khan from OP
    The most suave Bond villain ever.

Most Underrated Ally: Saunders from TLD
    The best & most tragic sidekick of whole series, period.

Most Underrated Bond Girl: Naomi from TSWLM
    H*ttest bond babe ever imo.

Most Underrated Minor Character: See above
    She was part of one of the most iconic chases of the series ('chopper & Lotus TSWLM)

Most Underrated Henchman: Grant
    Still the best physical foe 007 has faced.