03. THE NETHERLANDS
    04. ESTONIA
    05. DENMARK

06. ISRAEL
    07. CROATIA
    08. AUSTRIA
    09. NORWAY
    10. HUNGARY

Let;s see if I have 10 qualifiers correct, or only 7 or 8:-).
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    You can always edit your post later.
    You can always edit your post later.

F%%% you @Thunderfinger :-). Then it becomes visible to the public that you edited it ;-).
    edited May 2017 Posts: 45,489
    Only the date by the next day. Lots of people do it, making the next poster look like an idiot sometimes.
    Only the date by the next day. Lots of people do it, making the next poster look like an idiot sometimes.

Not me.

Anyway, this is my prediction for tomorrow @Thunderfinger :
    https://songfestivalwerk.wordpress.com/2017/05/12/kiev-2017-■-top-13-voorspelling-grote-finale/
    voorspelling-top-131.jpg
    Personally I liked Hungary yesterday.
    Personally I liked Hungary yesterday.

Could very well be in the TOP 13 too. I actually liked it a lot too. But then again, there are somany favourites this year.
    Of the six preapproved, I think only France has a decent song.
  • RC7RC7
    Ok. I find myself home alone with my daughter tonight. Who do I put money on? Happy to have a flutter on a couple of options, but will defer to the more educated opinions (haven't heard a thing). If I'm going to watch this most insane of annual events I'd love it to be with the promise of a few £££.
    I think it's fair to say @RC7 , that Eurovision has been cured tonight.....by music. The victory of Portugal was absolutely stunning and breathtaking. A wonderful, gentle, cinematic, jazzy song won the contest. I am amazed.
    I see the UK did as well as usual, are they still using that ropey dual voting system?
    I expected the UK to do better. Really better. Lloved Lucie's performance. But I think UK can be proud.
    I expected the UK to do better. Really better. Lloved Lucie's performance. But I think UK can be proud.

I did not watch the show tonight though I saw a interview before with Lucie Jones I am sure I have seen her before on a reality TV show?
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    Thank you again Portugal

MV5BM2ZhOTY4MjYtMWM1My00MjA1LThlNTItZWY0NWQyNDQ0NTE3XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjE4NDM2NTE@._V1_SY1000_CR006771000_AL_.jpg
    I did not watch the show tonight though I saw a interview before with Lucie Jones I am sure I have seen her before on a reality TV show?

Sixth Season of UK's X-Factor :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucie_Jones
    M_Balje wrote: »
    Thank you again Portugal

MV5BM2ZhOTY4MjYtMWM1My00MjA1LThlNTItZWY0NWQyNDQ0NTE3XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjE4NDM2NTE@._V1_SY1000_CR006771000_AL_.jpg

People who didn't watch, missed the wonderful Portugal. Such a shame.
    First prize for loveliest girl goes to Romania.
  • GBFGBF
    I am happy with the winner but did not really see it coming. I was watching with some friends. Most of them prefered Italy, Moldova or Romania. I think Portugal deserved the victory. They wn both, the jury and the televoting. But I was still surprised, especially that Italy only became 6th in the end. I was also angry about the low jury points for Hungary. This song really represented diversity. Interestingly, the televoters gave more points to Hugary than to Sweden. But most of the juries prefered Sweden which got more than 150 points more from the juries than Hungary. Still happy that my favourites, Italy and Hungary made it in the top10.
    GBF wrote: »
    I am happy with the winner but did not really see it coming. I was watching with some friends. Most of them prefered Italy, Moldova or Romania. I think Portugal deserved the victory. They wn both, the jury and the televoting. But I was still surprised, especially that Italy only became 6th in the end. I was also angry about the low jury points for Hungary. This song really represented diversity. Interestingly, the televoters gave more points to Hugary than to Sweden. But most of the juries prefered Sweden which got more than 150 points more from the juries than Hungary. Still happy that my favourites, Italy and Hungary made it in the top10.

I think the victory of Portugal actually shows what music is all about. We should thank God that these days songs like those of Portugal can still win the contest. It seems that Eurovision is much more than crazy acts and weird stage props (Romania, Italy). It's also about sincerely touching the harts of all people.

When it comes to juries vs. televoters, we tend to measure too many times with different standards.

When Netherlands, Norway and Australia do very well with the juries, but fail to score with televoters, the the overall result is not talked about or we silently think it's OK for what it is. But when countries like Hungary and Belgium (Blanche a phenomenal singer? really...) do much better with the televote, and not so much with the juries, we start chanting "Time to get rid of the juries!".

I find it unfair. I am very happy my country got 11th place (Netherlands). If the juries were demolished, then suddenly lots of acts would suddenly be at the bottom. There's a reason Eurovision has Always been, ever since 1956, a jury sport.
  • GBFGBF
    I am not questioning the juries but for me personally it was a bit difficult to understand why Hungary which was a very original but modern song sung by a professional singer and was very well staged only received 48 jury points but 250 by the televoters.

The problem that I have with the jurys is that most of them represesnt the actual music business. In my home country Germany, these are always five singers who are currently in the charts. They usuallly tend to prefer good voices, a solid production and modern sounds. That is not a bad thing at all, but I wonder wheather this really supports diversity in the ESC. When you look at the top of the jury rankings, Portugal is actually the only song that may be regarded as being diverse from current music trends.

All in all, I am not disappointed but I wish diversity and originality was a bit more supported by the juries.
  • TokolosheTokoloshe Under your bed
    I didn't mind the winning song and it was refreshingly different, but I found the guy's patronising winning speech to be rather grating.
    @BondJasonBond006, great stunt you pulled during Jamala s performance.
  • GBFGBF
    @BondJasonBond006 wrote: "5. Belgium: City Lights QUALIFIED

Hard to believe this made it into the finals considering how truly awful Blanche is singing live. But the Juries have made up their mind that this MUST be good. Or maybe it was still better than most of disappointing acts in this semi-finals."

Blanche received much more points from the televotes compared to the jury and became 4th in the Grand Final. But it is always good to have somebody who always knows everything better than others... :-)
    Alexander Rybak has made an English language version of the winner song.
    Tokoloshe wrote: »
    I didn't mind the winning song and it was refreshingly different, but I found the guy's patronising winning speech to be rather grating.

Well, in a way he's right no?
    So cute how US citizens react to thisss :-D!
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    edited June 2017 Posts: 9,020
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia

Because this no one understands:
    Australia: tele vote 2 (two!) points, result 25th place
    Australia: Jury vote 171 points, result 9th place

This alone is proof enough that the system doesn’t work. This should not be allowed to be possible and the reactions were accordingly, because the juries have lost all grip on reality.

Did the stage invasion happen while voting lines were still open? Because that could very well explain why Australia got so few points, and perhaps even impacted negatively on the UK as well.

• BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    Red_Snow wrote: »

Because this no one understands:
    Australia: tele vote 2 (two!) points, result 25th place
    Australia: Jury vote 171 points, result 9th place

This alone is proof enough that the system doesn’t work. This should not be allowed to be possible and the reactions were accordingly, because the juries have lost all grip on reality.

Did the stage invasion happen while voting lines were still open? Because that could very well explain why Australia got so few points, and perhaps even impacted negatively on the UK as well.

Personally I liked the performance but I could see why it got little love.
    The juries feel obliged to give Australia a lot of points, they even declared Australia winner in 2016.

Don't misunderstand, I love all three entries so far from Australia. But the public clearly didn't care for poor Isaiah.

Concerning the stage invasion, I would have to check on that.