The Eurovision Song Contest Thread

Comments

• BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    edited June 2017 Posts: 9,020
    @Red_Snow

1st semi-final: Australia

21 points from the audience
    139 points from the Juries.

Isaiah wouldn't even have made the finals I'm afraid.

Finland's Norma John and Blackbird got cheated by the juries. She would have been in the finale instead of Isaiah.
    Perfect proof that the juries hate good songs.
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
    @BondJasonBond006 Norma John definitely had a much better performance in Semi #1. Isaiah very clearly and obviously stumbled a big note, and the press all asked him about it afterwards. If the press noticed it, you'd think the juries would take that into account, but seems not.

I also didn't think his staging was that memorable either, and I found his stage presence a little awkward. For a 17 year old, he certaintly has talent, but it just wasn't a performance that was worthy of a top ten finish.

I do have a feeling Australia's success and continued involvement has more to do with the EBU and SBS signing a deal to finally get the Asia-Pacific Song Contest off the ground and running ... supposedly this year, but I wont hold my breath on that one.
    @Red_Snow

A shame for Finland really. I just wish people would be better informed about the destructive force of the Juries. At least in the finals they get to experience it now.

Yes, Isaiah performed without much confidence in the semi-finals.

His performance in the finals was better though.

Overall, we can be glad that the Juries, this time around, did not destroy the contest like they did last year and the year before.

Portugal is a worthy winner and I'm so happy about it!!

I like the fact Australia is participating and I hope they will continue to do so.
    The EBU has bended their own rules so many times already, it's really nothing to let Australia be in it for good.
    @BondjamesBond007? We DO need juries. I explained that so many times to you. But it doesn't matter what result there will be, you always abuse it to force your entirely flawed reasoning about juries. I guess all the nice Skype conversations we had......in which you actually showed some understanding for it, are all forgotten. You disappoint me, and actually, you make me feel sad. Men like you are impossible to debate with. You drag the fun out of so many things and hobbies we actually both love. Every time when I read your arguments I can't help but feel a mixture of anger and sadness. I don't wish to talk with you anymore. It is better if we ignore each other from now on.
    edited June 2017 Posts: 9,020
    So good diversity and fun and great performances get rewarded by the people in 42 countries.
    Didn't care much for it on CD, but this is deservedly 5th place with the tele vote.

And this one, hated it on CD actually but again what a performance and the voting public judges only that without prejudice. So good this got to 3rd place.

Edit: well here is the actual performance...

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
  • GBFGBF
    It is just a contest. The world does not stop turning if a certain country gets more points from the juries than the public.

One can debate that forever but in the end, the system is like it is. I also don't htink that juries are corrupt or get orders from whomever. In Germany, these are just other singers or songwriters. They do not care much about Eurovision. But they might focus more on the voice and the production quality whereas the public rather cares about a good show and an entertaining staging.

• M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited July 2017 Posts: 4,438
    Mother of Europe Songcontest Dutch OG3NE past a way..

Source: Rtlnieuws.nl and http://og3ne.com/

OG3NE song ''Light of Shadows'' was written by there father and performed by them for there mother/his wife. She past a way on the age of 48 (29 March 1969 - 12 July 2017). Died from Bone cancer.

It's official, Eurovision Asia is coming!

Red_Snow wrote: »
    It's official, Eurovision Asia is coming!

No, it isn t .
    Norway s entry this year.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Boring.
    It puts me in a good mood, I am happy with it. Haven t heard any other countries entries yet.
    The french entry, Mercy, the tale of a child refugee by the duet Monsieur Madame.

I don't think it has a chnace to win, but one never knows.
    Not bad.

The Australian entry.
    That was bad. Just heard snippets of most entries, and as usual most of it is dreadful with a few exceptions.
    Jesus christ! If this is the level we should expect, it is not a good omen. I didn't think the Eurovision could get any worse, but I am probably wrong...
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    Apparently the Belgium song is partly inspired by Bond songs. So they say, anyway.

• edited March 2018 Posts: 7,500
    GoldenGun wrote: »
    Apparently the Belgium song is partly inspired by Bond songs. So they say, anyway.

It is obviously very inspired by the TND theme song. Which was a boring song to begin with... This one is even worse...
  • edited March 2018 Posts: 17,272
    None of these entries will be on my playlist, I think. Then again, Eurovision music rarely is at all.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    Quite correct, I was only pointing it out since this is a Bond forum ;)
    Sounds more like a poor man s Portishead.
  • GBFGBF
    I also listened to all songs so far. Not my kind of music but I quite enjoyed

Greece, Italy, Austria, Bulgaria, Armenia, Netherlands and Belgium...
  • GBFGBF
    France is OK too... as is Cyprus, Romania, Denmark, Latvia, Czech Republic (funny)....
    This coming around again already?!!!!
    edited March 2018 Posts: 45,489
    Swiss Lys Assia, the first Eurovision winner from 1956, just passed away. She was born in 1924.
    A shame this didn t win the Norwegian final in 14.
    On this day 44 years ago ABBA won Eurovision, which was my first Eurovision memory. I remember an older cousin babysitting, was very excited about it.