A View to a Kill Appreciation Thread- Anybody else want to drop out?

Comments

• MurdockMurdock The minus world
    In the Special Edition DVD documentary, there is on set footage of her talking about her audition and she talks about how John Glen wanted her to wear more makeup.
  • I just got done watching this (seeing the threat pop up gave me the urge to see it).

Highly underrated. Loved it as usual.
  • edited January 2014 Posts: 1,052
    AVTAK ah, I have felt kind of aplogetic in the past for liking this film but really what's the point, it has a lot going for it and does have a decent plot and quite a lot of old school spying involved.

Poor Rog though, has any other Bond been saddled with such poor threads in one film?

The tracksuit, the leather jacket, the Zorin Jacket, not suitable for a more mature fellow.
    Urgh...that leather jacket. Really didn't suit him let alone Bond.

Gave him an "old geezer" look.
    The only part i found a shame (apart from the beach-boys :-$ ) was the fact that Bond hadnt slept with Stacey throught the whole film and he was very protective,almost fatherly towards her,which i thought made the relationship stronger.

And then he ends up shagging her in the shower at the end...criminal.
  • edited January 2014 Posts: 1,405
    I'm proud to say that AVTAK is one of my favorite Bond movie. For one thing, John Barry's score is the very best of the whole franchise. The main villain is a twisted, sadistic and wholly dangerous opponent. And let's talk about Tanya Roberts. First thing, she's SMOKING HOT. Second thing, she plays a geologist. And she's credible as a normal, every-day working girl. At least she's not trying to bother us with the "Bond equal" routine that so many leading actress pretended to be. Yeah sure, like Agent Triple X, Holly Goodhead or Pam Bouvier at ANY point could pretend to be 007 equal...

Sure, Stacy Sutton shouts "James" several times while trapped in the elevator, but wouldn't ANY everyday working girl do the same? The answer is a resounding YES and that's why I say to you, distinguish member of the MI6 Community, that Tanya Roberts played her part realistically, and in so doing deserves our praise for it.

Sir Roger, even barely physically capable to fill the role of 007, still delivers a strong, solid performance. All in all AVTAK is still, after 30 years, a lot of fun for me.
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    I'm proud to say that AVTAK is one of my favorite Bond movie. For one thing, John Barry's score is the very best of the whole franchise. The main villain is a twisted, sadistic and wholly dangerous opponent. And let's talk about Tanya Roberts. First thing, she's SMOKING HOT. Second thing, she plays a geologist. And she's credible as a normal, every-day working girl. At least she's not trying to bother us with the "Bond equal" routine that so many leading actress pretended to be. Yeah sure, like Agent Triple X, Holly Goodhead or Pam Bouvier at ANY point could pretend to be 007 equal...

Sure, Stacy Sutton shouts "James" several times while trapped in the elevator, but wouldn't ANY everyday working girl do the same? The answer is a resounding YES and that's why I say to you, distinguish member of the MI6 Community, that Tanya Roberts played her part realistically, and in so doing deserves our praise for it.

Sir Roger, even barely physically capable to fill the role of 007, still delivers a strong, solid performance. All in all AVTAK is still, after 30 years, a lot of fun for me.

I agree with your view on Tanya Roberts. Her acting is in no way whatsoever ''bad'', we only have to look at a certain Catwoman to see bad acting. Not every Bond girl has to work for the CIA or have strong martial arts skills, but a NORMAL, everyday lass is just as good. Bravo to Tanya for giving it her all.
  • edited January 2014 Posts: 6,396
    The problem lies with accepting that Tanya Roberts is credible as a geologist. It's as convincing as believing Denise Richards as a nuclear physicist.

Oh wait...

:D
    edited January 2014 Posts: 5,080
    The problem lies with accepting that Tanya Roberts is credible as a geologist. It's as convincing as believing Denise Richards as a nuclear physicist.

Oh wait...

:D

http://woostergeologists.scotblogs.wooster.edu/2012/03/09/on-being-a-female-geologist/
    edited January 2014 Posts: 5,080
    Scroll to the bottom and read about those comments on young female geologists. I don't think it is entirely hard to believe that she is a geologist...
  • edited January 2014 Posts: 1,595
    Even though I just saw it last night and commented on here just how much I enjoyed the film Tanya Roberts' Sutton is, for me, one of the weaker aspects.

Now that I've seen the film more than a handful of times I no longer get annoyed or angry at her screaming "JAMES!" throughout the last 45 minutes of the film. It's excellent unintentional humor.

edit: And yes @barryt007 I always thought Bond played a more protective role in this one, as seen by some of his facial expressions at dinner when she seems to be coming onto him, him sleeping in the armchair, etc.
    I always try to think of the ending similar to Tomorrow Never Dies -- it was shoehorned in because it's a Bond film and that's what you're "supposed" to do. I don't agree with it but I can live with it.
    Difficult to accept Sutton seriously when she fails to notice a ruddy 100ft blimp approaching from behind.
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    Perhaps she is an idiot savant?
    pachazo wrote:
    Perhaps she is an idiot savant?

[-X
  • edited January 2014 Posts: 1,405
    Difficult to accept Sutton seriously when she fails to notice a ruddy 100ft blimp approaching from behind.

She failed to notice the Blimp because it was in the script.
    If she notices the Blimp, Bond doesn't try to grap the rope, and the movie could simply end then and there. I wonder how you could clearly hear and identity a Blimp, when you ever saw one in your life, after you just heared a tremendous explosion. Get real for God's sake.

When you try to blame Tanya Roberts/Stacey Sutton on something related to the script, it tells me that, finally, Tanya's acting wasn't all that bad after all.
  • edited January 2014 Posts: 6,396

She failed to notice the Blimp because it was in the script.
    If she notices the Blimp, Bond doesn't try to grap the rope, and the movie could simply end then and there. I wonder how you could clearly hear and identity a Blimp, when you ever saw one in your life, after you just heared a tremendous explosion. Get real for God's sake.

When you try to blame Tanya Roberts/Stacey Sutton on something related to the script, it tells me that, finally, Tanya's acting wasn't all that bad after all.

That's the most hilarious attempt at a defence I've ever read. I salute you.

(The part in bold is priceless).
    This is becoming a very, uhm...curious discussion. This is a similar blimp to the one in the movie (skip to 1.40): I don't think it is particularly loud, but...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPk-uBR33uc
    Yes, about as quiet as an electric car...
  • Sutton had a tendency to be irritating for sure, but not nearly so much as say Halle Berry in Die Another Day. I also found her geologist role to be more credible than Denise Richards respective part in The World Is Not Enough

All said, A View to a Kill is one bizarre movie, from actors of caliber such as Chris Walken and Patrick McNee wasted in this garbage. It's an embarrassing experience, right from the ill-advised California Girls theme in the pre credits sequence, right through to Moore attempting a Buster Keaton impression on a fire truck. The only saving graces, is a half-decent scenario at City Hall with the elevator escape (even though Roberts screams endlessly, that almost deviates away from any viewing 'enjoyment', the steeplechase contest in France, and one or two moments at the Zorin mine outside of San Francisco. With the latter, it all culminates in a disaster of a finish as Moore sails towards the Golden Grate bridge, leaving chaos and embarrassment in his wake, and thankfully soon after that - the whole sorry episode comes to a close

Easily one of the weakest entries in the entire series. If not for absolute trash such as Diamonds are Forever and Die another Day, it could feasibly of seen itself at rock bottom
    Sutton had a tendency to be irritating for sure, but not nearly so much as say Halle Berry in Die Another Day. I also found her geologist role to be more credible than Denise Richards respective part in The World Is Not Enough

All said, A View to a Kill is one bizarre movie, from actors of caliber such as Chris Walken and Patrick McNee wasted in this garbage. It's an embarrassing experience, right from the ill-advised California Girls theme in the pre credits sequence, right through to Moore attempting a Buster Keaton impression on a fire truck. The only saving graces, is a half-decent scenario at City Hall with the elevator escape (even though Roberts screams endlessly, that almost deviates away from any viewing 'enjoyment', the steeplechase contest in France, and one or two moments at the Zorin mine outside of San Francisco. With the latter, it all culminates in a disaster of a finish as Moore sails towards the Golden Grate bridge, leaving chaos and embarrassment in his wake, and thankfully soon after that - the whole sorry episode comes to a close

Easily one of the weakest entries in the entire series. If not for absolute trash such as Diamonds are Forever and Die another Day, it could feasibly of seen itself at rock bottom

What was the title of this discussion?
  • Difficult to accept Sutton seriously when she fails to notice a ruddy 100ft blimp approaching from behind.

Oh I certainly wasn't accepting her seriously. I think she's one of the worst Bond girls. And saying she's more credible in her role than Denise Richards is hardly saying anything at all.
    :-))
  • edited January 2014 Posts: 11,189

Oh I certainly wasn't accepting her seriously. I think she's one of the worst Bond girls. And saying she's more credible in her role than Denise Richards is hardly saying anything at all.

I think we're splitting hairs when discussing who is more credible between Tanya Roberts and Denise Richards. Why don't you throw Britt Eckland into that mix too?
    BAIN123 wrote:

I think we're splitting hairs when discussing who is more credible between Tanya Roberts and Denise Richards. Why don't you throw Britt Eckland into that mix too?

The Holy Trinity of Bond Bimbos ;-)
  • edited January 2014 Posts: 11,189
    BAIN123 wrote:

The Holy Trinity of Bond Bimbos ;-)

God I can't stand her. Her and Halle Berry are at the bottom of my Bond girl barrel.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CV_wn8yk9q0
    I managed to find this clip of behind the scenes of AVTAK, but there is no Grace Jones...
    Thanks!
    http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gvPNfIBnkUw
    Skip to 7.40 of this interview to never see Roger Moore in the same light again...
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    Yikes. I'm going to have to work hard to get that image out of my head now! I wish there was a reaction shot of Sir Rog's face when he saw that.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited February 2014 Posts: 13,350
    "You could have killed him. He was about 70." :D
  • I have always enjoyed AVTAK. It's not a great film, but it's a lot of fun. I'll always maintain that there are no bad James Bond films and Moore didn't look any older in this film than he did in Octopussy. Plus Zorin was great.
  • I'm proud to say that AVTAK is one of my favorite Bond movie. For one thing, John Barry's score is the very best of the whole franchise. The main villain is a twisted, sadistic and wholly dangerous opponent. And let's talk about Tanya Roberts. First thing, she's SMOKING HOT. Second thing, she plays a geologist. And she's credible as a normal, every-day working girl. At least she's not trying to bother us with the "Bond equal" routine that so many leading actress pretended to be. Yeah sure, like Agent Triple X, Holly Goodhead or Pam Bouvier at ANY point could pretend to be 007 equal...

Great points, agree 100 percent.