A View to a Kill Appreciation Thread- Anybody else want to drop out?

Comments

• ForYourEyesOnlyForYourEyesOnly In the untained cradle of the heavens
    edited March 2016 Posts: 1,984
    It's not so much Moore doing action in his late 50's as it is the final scene with him and Tanya Roberts, who was about half his age if I recall correctly. And yes, he looks like a fossil. Still, Moore's very experienced at this point, so were it not for his age/looks, his portrayal as Bond would be fine.

And at the end of the day, I still have this above TMWTGG and MR. Those are probably better as guilty pleasures, but AVTAK's theme song and score trumps both (especially TMWTGG), and Walken's about on par with Lee and better than Lonsdale. Mayday isn't the best henchman but she's certainly better than MR Jaws and Nick Nack. AVTAK also doesn't suffer quite as much from painful attempts at comedy and equally painful attempts to draw in the culture of the time.

Sure, AVTAK feels a little exhausted, but the cast and score are both quite strong and prove to be more redeeming than just the "fun factor" of TMWTGG/MR and maybe one or two actors from those films.
    If he can invent snowboarding he's young enough for Stacey.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    :)) "Awesome Dude !" :D
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I think Roger Moore is one of the saving graces of the film, no matter what the age issues.
    I love AVTAK. The villain is what makes this movie for me. Walken is Gold in this film as Zorin. Moore age does not bother me at all in this film. I could care less.
    The older I get, the younger Sir Roger looks. :D
  • edited March 2016 Posts: 123
    What exactly do you take 'ageist' to mean, if not to discriminate based on age?

Ageism would be EON giving Moore his pink slip because they decided he had become "too old" to play 007.

The world around James Bond may change but the character is ageless. Once it becomes painfully clear that the man playing Bond is nearly a decade and a half removed from his mid-40s, he starts to lose credibility. Some actors can pass for a much younger age but after that facelift Moore could not. Towards the end of his era EON was basically forced to acknowledge his advancing age; look no further than the introduction of Penelope Smallbone in OP and Moneypenny's remark about how she "used to be" as attractive as the young Smallbone is now. If the characters around Bond aren't immune to the ravages of age then why would he be?

Even Sir Roger himself confessed he was far too old to be playing Bond once he learned he was older than Tanya Roberts' mother!

Moore delivered a great performance in AVTAK as he did in all of his entries in the series but for me, personally, I find it difficult to look past his age when watching this film.
    IDK Why Moore was so bothered with Tanyas age, but did not have a problem with Carole Bouquet who was 2 years younger then Tanya lol
  • fjdinardo wrote: »
    IDK Why Moore was so bothered with Tanyas age, but did not have a problem with Carole Bouquet who was 2 years younger then Tanya lol

It was Moore's age that bothered him - 57 years old and a dodgy facelift. No way he could be attractive to young women.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    People, if we can look like Moore at that age, we'd be proud.
  • DarthDimi wrote: »
    People, if we can look like Moore at that age, we'd be proud.

That's not the point. He's playing James Bond, not his dad.
    Just to point out this is an Appreciation thread. ;)

Even as a younger guy watching AVTAK, Moore's age didn't bother me as
    Roger Moore was James Bond ! ^:)^
    Just to point out this is an Appreciation thread. ;)

Even as a younger guy watching AVTAK, Moore's age didn't bother me as
    Roger Moore was James Bond ! ^:)^

See that's the problem, I don't believe him as Bond (in this film).
    We're all different folks. I grew up playing with my toys on the floor. Watching Rog as
    The Saint, so I'm a big fan. He'll always be 007 to me. :)
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    It was Moore's age that bothered him - 57 years old and a dodgy facelift. No way he could be attractive to young women.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2467042/Fiona-Fullerton-reveals-wanted-bed-Roger-Moore-steamy-hot-tub-scene.html

Here's one that found him very attractive.
    Also, Roger hadn't fully recovered from his surgery, but being the old professional that
    He is. He didn't want to hold up the production. ( which would have been very expensive).
    Sir Roger is always a team player, and does what's needed for the film. =D>
  • pachazo wrote: »

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2467042/Fiona-Fullerton-reveals-wanted-bed-Roger-Moore-steamy-hot-tub-scene.html

lol. That's not what the article says, however the mail spun it. A question: Did Roger resign or was he pushed? If he resigned, how long were they going to let him continue? Seems absurd that we could have had a Bond in his 60's if Moore had wanted it.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    pachazo wrote: »

lol. That's not what the article says, however the mail spun it. A question: Did Roger resign or was he pushed? If he resigned, how long were they going to let him continue? Seems absurd that we could have had a Bond in his 60's if Moore had wanted it.

He was in written for TLD.
    I think k AVTAK was eon's thank you to Sir Roger for totally defeating NSNA at the
    Box office with OP. As it meant He would ( most likely) always be the longest serving
    007, Keeping Sir Sean in second place. ;)
  • pachazo wrote: »

He was in written for TLD.

That level of misjudgement is bordering on delusion. Thank goodness Moore realised his age and we got a top 3 bond in TLD.
    He was basically signed on for two more after FYEO as a "safeguard" against anything McClory would try to start up. Basically, even though Octopussy handily defeated Never Say Never Again at box office, A View To A Kill was there to drive the nail in the coffin - just to make absolute certain that McClory would never be able to start up a rival franchise or even just another sequel. But it probably did double as EON's thank you to Sir Roger Moore, who valiantly defended Bond from so many threats in the 70's and 80's.
  • My understanding is that McClory could only remake thunderball.
    He owned the rights to Spectre, Blofeld and eon still didn't own CR, so plenty of chances
    of yet more court cases to get bogged down in.
    My understanding is that McClory could only remake thunderball.

Right, but he was planning a series/sequel at some point. In fact, apparently in the 90's, he wanted Timothy Dalton to star in Warhead 2000, which was basically a different take on Thunderball. Even if McClory was just throwing out different trims of the Thunderball story, it's better if there's no competition to the main Bond franchise at all. And that was the idea of the AVTAK follow-up to OP, which was to scare McClory off after OP's already greater success at the box office than NSNA. It's basically just insurance for EON's Bond franchise (you'll notice EON always plays it safe when they have two or more options).
  • My understanding is that McClory could only remake thunderball.

Right, but he was planning a series/sequel at some point. In fact, apparently in the 90's, he wanted Timothy Dalton to star in Warhead 2000, which was basically a different take on Thunderball. Even if McClory was just throwing out different trims of the Thunderball story, it's better if there's no competition to the main Bond franchise at all. And that was the idea of the AVTAK follow-up to OP, which was to scare McClory off after OP's already greater success at the box office than NSNA. It's basically just insurance for EON's Bond franchise (you'll notice EON always plays it safe when they have two or more options).

What series could he make? Endless variations on Thunderball?

I wish he had done one with Dalton. I think Dalton could have given him a few tips about what the final product should be.
    What do you mean by playing it safe by having Roger do AVTAK? Wouldn't Dalton doing it be the same thing?
    Roger was the known Bond, a new face would be a gamble. Would the audience think
    This was another rival Bond film etc ?
    Roger was the known Bond, a new face would be a gamble. Would the audience think
    This was another rival Bond film etc ?

Gotcha
    You know I also feel Moore came back for AVTAK because he didn't want fans/critics thinking he just came back for Bond in OP to beat Connery.
    I do think AVTAK was a way for Cubby to reward the loyalty of Moore, while
    getting a little pay back over Connery by having Roger as the Actor to have done
    The most Bond films.
    Now I might be totally wrong on this, but it's just my two cents on it. :)