The forum troll phenomenon

Comments

DarthDimi wrote:
    @Benny and @MajorDSmythe did a tremendous job and the admins finished it off. I enjoy waking up like this. ;-)

"I love the smell of troll hunting in the morning. Smells like victory!"
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Cue Wagner - and I agree! A victory over trolls. A great way to start the day (I am actually finishing my day ...)
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    edited November 2013 Posts: 13,973
    It's always a bit saddening to look at the sidebar and see so many members online wanting to converse but simply cannot because a troll or two is stomping around the site. Once again, thanks for taking out the trash, guys.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Looks like a thankfully missed all the ruckus.
  • edited November 2013 Posts: 6,396
    As it appears we're bracing ourselves for another troll attack and it's painfully obvious who these new trolls are (probably one person and not very subtle at that), please remember to IFM and not engage them in conversation. I'm sure the Mods and Admin are well aware of this problem so hopefully they'll be gone sooner rather than later.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited September 2021 Posts: 17,816
    As it appears we're bracing ourselves for another troll attack and it's painfully obvious who these new trolls are (probably one person and not very subtle at that), please remember to IFM and not engage them in conversation. I'm sure the Mods and Admin are well aware of this problem so hopefully they'll be gone sooner rather than later.

Yes, the return of @Christartos. Things really need to speed up as his trolling has left the Activity page looking like a blocked toilet and the stench is even worse.
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    Yes, we should keep IFM'ing till they/he/she/it are/is far away.
    Sandy wrote:

The only thing is he/she/it/they keep coming back like a boomerang.
  • edited November 2013 Posts: 6,396
    Dragonpol wrote:
    Sandy wrote:

Then we just continue to IFM. He/she/they will soon get bored.
    Dragonpol wrote:
    Sandy wrote:

Then we just continue to IFM. He/she/they will soon get bored.

Yes. I guess that is the best option and all we ordinary members can do.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    1377450424894.gif

We have several trolls on the radar.
    We are administering this...
    Troll_Spary_max192w.JPG?1202766315

Until it kicks in, please continue to IFM. And always remember.
    6108716_f260.jpg
    edited November 2013 Posts: 17,816
    Thanks for the update, @Benny. Good to know you guys are out there! And I agree we really shouldn't feed their already overinflated ego any further, even if it does mean they'll burst!
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    I appreciate how the mods can keep their sense of humor in the face of their never ending battle against the trolls. Thank you and well done.
    pachazo wrote:
    I appreciate how the mods can keep their sense of humor in the face of their never ending battle against the trolls. Thank you and well done.

Yes, me too. I'm sure that it can't be easy to keep your temper with these sorts of trolls who are the Devil at persistence, trying to wear us all down and throw in the towel with membership of this great community. I second @pachazo's appreciation of our wonderful mods here on MI6 Community.

• MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Anti-Troll spray! Did someone call Adam West? :) But seriously, thanks Mod's you do this place a fantastic service.
  • edited November 2013 Posts: 3,494
    These names should be at the top of the list- DeJunkanooo, Trish, MythFaithBeliefDR, body_my_body_my_life and DNA_Imbroglio. Admin needs to circumvent the rules as only they can and act quickly and decisively when the general membership requests it. Keep banning the IP and report their abuse to their internet provider.

These names should be at the top of the list- DeJunkanooo, Trish, MythFaithBeliefDR, body_my_body_my_life and DNA_Imbroglio. Admin needs to circumvent the rules as only they can and act quickly and decisively when the general membership requests it. Keep banning the IP and report their abuse to their internet provider.

Seconded. Those names are on my Black List too. I highly suspect that they are all one and the same person! And I agree wholeheartedly on the IP address point. This is how they do things on the much more ruthless CBn.
  • MrBondMrBond Station S
    Isn't @DeJunkanooo relatively normal?
    I'm not trying to get in defence for him if he's troll but from what i've seen he's made some serious posts.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited November 2013 Posts: 13,350
    Look at the Activity Page. It's clogged up with crap and for some reason, our members reply to them. We should know better by now, folks.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I think that members who leave a false first impression are either clumsy or downright up to no good. Clumsy is, of course, possible. Not everyone understands how to behave on a forum which does things in more mature a fashion than many other forums. But we do not ban instantaneously because we allow people the chance to adapt. However, our patience is very limited because abuse must be fought swiftly. The merest sign of non compliance puts a member in the 'up to no good' bin, and we like to take out the trash very quickly...
    MrBond wrote:
    Isn't @DeJunkanooo relatively normal?
    I'm not trying to get in defence for him if he's troll but from what i've seen he's made some serious posts.

You clearly haven't seen his activity page then!

Remember to IFM these clowns.
    Comment by Trish removed. Anyone who Bibles up to spill vomit inducing comments on my beloved forum, meets the great Deletor.

fullmetaljacket.jpg
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Yay!!!!! You made my day.
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    =)) Ah @DarthDimi, only you!
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    edited November 2013 Posts: 9,117
    Isnt there some way we can make a members only section or something where you only get in once youve been vetted and hit at least 100 posts?

Its a tad unfair on genuine new members but they seem to be very few and far between anyway. I'm afraid these days I treat all new members with extreme suspicion until they have proved themselves.
    edited November 2013 Posts: 23,564
    Isnt there some way we can make a members only section or something where you only get in once youve been vetted and hit at least 100 posts?

Its a tad unfair on genuine new members but they seem to be very few and far between anyway. I'm afraid these days I treat all new members with extreme suspicion until they have proved themselves.

I wish it were easier than this but perhaps the system you suggest might work, Wiz. Some sort of probation, no? Could work. Again though... sad it must happen this way.

Its a tad unfair on genuine new members but they seem to be very few and far between.

Yes, if you look at the Activity page they are certainly rare of late. What is happening to our community?
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Too much computer time in closed institutions.
  • Isnt there some way we can make a members only section or something where you only get in once youve been vetted and hit at least 100 posts?

Problem with that is that trolls build up posts quickly and it sometimes takes a while for them to get banned. I'm pretty sure Buttons had over 100 posts on at least two of his accounts. I suppose you could make the minimum higher but then that really would be unfair on new members.
    Dragonpol wrote:
    What is happening to ourr community?

Let's not get too dramatic, @Dragonpol. ;-) We have hundreds of great members. A few idiots won't make too much of a difference, unless we allow them the satisfaction of getting us worked up over it. ;-)