Star Wars (1977 - present)

Comments

• FatherValentineFatherValentine England
    Literally don't know where to start with your latest attempt to deliberately misread nearly everything someone has written on here. Have you ever wondered why you have been repeatedly accused of misinterpreting thing by multiple different members of these boards over the last 12 months?

I have said what I said. My opinions that I originally put forward are there for all to read. I mean them all, including not wanting to talk about trans issues despite your insinuations. (just to make it clear, I brought it up because it was one of the things Carano got in hot water for and is clear causing other issues with celebrities such as Graham Linehan and Jk Rowling).

I only ask that anyone reading your post goes back and sees everything I wrote in its original context.

If you don't think what happened in China, the Soviet Union, Yugoslavia, Romania, East Germany etc in the latter half of the 20th century is dystopian then I can't help you.

I felt / feel that the James Gunn and J.K. Rowling cases were / are completely overblown. It does currently seem (in the case of social media) that if you disagree with a celebrity's opinion, don't agree to disagree in your head or learn to separate the art from the artist (I feel I am mature enough to still be able to enjoy Harry Potter and the world that Rowling created regardless of whether or not I agree with her views) - just try to silence them or shut them down and destroy their careers over it, and disown whatever enjoyment you may have got from their work in the past. Yes, that's very mature of you.

The James Gunn one was odd because he was a comedy writer and was hired because he was a comedy writer. And then got fired for writing jokes.

JK Rowling clearly said or wrote nothing controversial to any sane person.

Gina Carano looks like a different case in that she was posting stuff that is more inflammatory.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I felt / feel that the James Gunn and J.K. Rowling cases were / are completely overblown. It does currently seem (in the case of social media) that if you disagree with a celebrity's opinion, don't agree to disagree in your head or learn to separate the art from the artist (I feel I am mature enough to still be able to enjoy Harry Potter and the world that Rowling created regardless of whether or not I agree with her views) - just try to silence them or shut them down and destroy their careers over it, and disown whatever enjoyment you may have got from their work in the past. Yes, that's very mature of you.

Well said. The artist is one thing, the art something else entirely. I have no trouble enjoying Rosemary's Baby, Jeepers Creepers, The Shining, Se7en, ... I'm not going to boycott these movies, refuse to watch them, pretend they even exist.

I do agree with @mtm, however, that I shouldn't overstate the issue. I get nervous when people "demand" something, but their demands rarely result in anything.

Regarding the Rowling case, I was nevertheless disappointed in some of the actors who aided in the backlash against her. I'm not saying people should be unconditionally loyal to the hand they fed them, but Radcliff, Watson and others may want to reflect just a brief while on who they are now thanks, in no small doses, to Rowling. She doesn't own them, but a little gratitude i.e. no backstabbing goes a long way.
    I'm rewatching the Star Wars films in chronological order, and I've been having a blast with it. I watched Phantom Menace, Attack of the Clones, and Revenge of the Sith with an intentional mind to understand the politics that were at play that led to the rise of the Empire. Had a lot of fun with it.
    Then went on to Rogue One, and enjoyed that more than I had the last time as well. The Scarif scenes are all really brilliant.
    One thing that I noticed more this time as I went on to A New Hope, is the beginning of that film doesn't jive too well with the end of Rogue One. Darth Vader's behaviour is very different from one film to the next, and Leia's insistence that they're on a diplomatic mission is quite bold, considering the corvette was jettisoned from the rebel command ship that received the Death Star plans and was generally involved in the battle over Scarif between what was the entirety of both the Rebellion and the Empire.
    Just some thoughts having watched both films in short succession.

I'm gonna havta disagree there. I think Vader's behavior lines up well because in ANH, he's just outright angry that of all the ships in the Rebel fleet, this one escaped him. Then he gets on board and people he knows are straight up Rebels are lying to his face. He slaughtered an entire hallway for nothing and these people were basically laughing at him.

So did you skip Solo? That's between Revenge of the Sith and Rogue One, after all.

Shame Solo didn't do as well as people hoped. Much better than a lot of the entries in the series I think.
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    I doubt she and I are on the same page politically and people who furthermore need to dive into the sewers of the Internet, into asocial media like Twitter and FB, in order to share their opinions with the world, are definitely people I have little patience with.

However... I'm tired of these film and TV bosses just firing people over something they have said in public. I understand they're trying to keep their houses clean in order not to offend their viewership, that they wish to avoid associations that can reflect badly on them, but audiences likewise have to learn to accept that we happen to live in a world in which your best friend, neighbour, sister and idol are still permitted to have views that you may not like or agree with.

What she wrote was a gross exaggeration, but so is being fired over it. Her tweet is in poor taste, but poor taste still isn't a crime. We are asked to embrace diversity but we cannot handle diversity in terms of opinions? We cannot handle a big mouth? And yes, kids watch The Mandalorian, so the whole role-model thing factors in too. Well, I guess now is the time to keep our poor, vulnerable kids away from the Bond films as well, because didn't James Bond nr. 1 give his wife a good beating every now and then and publicly talked about it with a sense of pride even? What an awkward role-model... Let's just cancel the first couple of Bond films from our TV programming then. Let's pretend they don't even exist to people under 25.

The actress did a clumsy thing for sure, but what's worse, in my opinion, is this cancel culture. The lesson we teach people is that rather than talk, debate, find consensus amidst conflicting opinions, we should just fire, throw away, "unfriend", ... And Disney is particularly good at that, even if the great Walt himself was not without his own bits of controversy.

In the end, I don't care all that much. I liked the character but I can do without it just as easily.

Yes it is a bit ironic of Disney firing someone for controversial comments when they have to put content warnings on a load of their back catalogue!
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Carano was very silly and the tweets were a bit misguided (whether or not the intention was pure), but it's very ironic of Disney to cite those reasons for her being fired after their numerous Mulan controversies just last year.
    Carano was very silly and the tweets were a bit misguided (whether or not the intention was pure), but it's very ironic of Disney to cite those reasons for her being fired after their numerous Mulan controversies just last year.

Good point.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

I don't think anyone agreed with the James Gunn thing did they? Again, I didn't follow it so I'm prepared to be wrong on that one! :)
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited February 2021 Posts: 14,930
    Literally don't know where to start with your latest attempt to deliberately misread nearly everything someone has written on here. Have you ever wondered why you have been repeatedly accused of misinterpreting thing by multiple different members of these boards over the last 12 months?

What are you saying I've misinterpreted?
    I'm not interested in getting personal just because you disagree with people.
    I have said what I said. My opinions that I originally put forward are there for all to read. I mean them all, including not wanting to talk about trans issues despite your insinuations.

Clam down on the aggression. I didn't 'insinuate' (which is word chosen to try and make it look like I was making personal accusations), I said quite clearly that you're talking about trans issues (which you wrote a whole paragraph on) rather than what Carano got fired over.
    (just to make it clear, I brought it up because it was one of the things Carano got in hot water for and is clear causing other issues with celebrities such as Graham Linehan and Jk Rowling).

Well that's fair enough, I missed her saying that.
    Stick that on the list of audience members she's annoyed then. As I said, it doesn't really matter if she's wrong or right, part of her job is not to bring the productions she's on bad publicity and to annoy people.
    If you don't think what happened in China, the Soviet Union, Yugoslavia, Romania, East Germany etc in the latter half of the 20th century is dystopian then I can't help you.

I think these comparisons are slightly crudely drawn and don't look at these matters with much depth or nuance. The crucial difference is that this isn't authoritarian but the people speaking. Carano's posts (the ones she was actually fired for and not the trans one you mention) drew weak comparisons to the persecution of the Jews.

I'm not going to reply to you any more on this as you seem to be trying to start an argument.

DarthDimi wrote: »

Well said. The artist is one thing, the art something else entirely. I have no trouble enjoying Rosemary's Baby, Jeepers Creepers, The Shining, Se7en, ... I'm not going to boycott these movies, refuse to watch them, pretend they even exist.

I do agree with @mtm, however, that I shouldn't overstate the issue. I get nervous when people "demand" something, but their demands rarely result in anything.

Regarding the Rowling case, I was nevertheless disappointed in some of the actors who aided in the backlash against her. I'm not saying people should be unconditionally loyal to the hand they fed them, but Radcliff, Watson and others may want to reflect just a brief while on who they are now thanks, in no small doses, to Rowling. She doesn't own them, but a little gratitude i.e. no backstabbing goes a long way.

I don't know if they should feel they can't speak out because they owe her if it's something they really believe in, but the small part that I followed that situation (and I decided I didn't want to know much!) was that I found it quite bizarre that Daniel Radcliffe got involved to actually mansplain what a woman is, to a woman! :D

What I do find galling is that the opinions of celebs are open to more scrutiny now, and yet our politicians seem to be able to increasingly get away with breaking any rule or law without repercussions. Break lockdown? Fine. Be found guilty of workplace bullying by the body assigned to advise on it? Don't worry about it.
  • Freedom of Speech is not equal to Freedom of Consequences. Good riddance.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Freedom of Speech is not equal to Freedom of Consequences. Good riddance.

That's very well put! :)
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator

Spot on.

And regardless of politics or how you feel in today's political climate, particularly when it comes to masks, the pandemic, etc., I do find it striking and pathetic when I see anyone seriously try to equate combatting misinformation from any side with the fate of the Jewish people in World War II.
    edited February 2021 Posts: 737

Who gets to decide? Good luck when you have to face the 'consequences' for something you have said.

Free speech is for everyone or it's for no-one. It protects people from both the state and the tyranny of the mob. Some very bad things happen when we forget those principles. One day the mob and the state are on your side and all is dandy when people get cancelled or fired. The next day you will find yourself on the opposite side to whoever is in power or whatever the prevailing critical orthodoxy of the day is. Then what?

I agree that holocaust comparisons are pathetic. Pedro Pascal also put out a Tweet which made a concentration camp comparison, a couple of years ago. He wasn't fired from anything though, and nor should he have been.

• MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    Free speech is for everyone or it's for no-one.

"Freedom of speech" simply means no one can stop you from expressing yourself. She can lose her job, but she'll still have the ability to express her right to free speech. The consequences of her speech are a separate thing

Keep in mind, firing her is also more of a business decision, because if you associate with someone like her spewing out vile, others may not want to do business with you so you're left with fewer options.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator

"Freedom of speech" simply means no one can stop you from expressing yourself. She can lose her job, but she'll still have the ability to express her right to free speech. The consequences of her speech are a separate thing

This is the main point that most seem to have issue with grasping and understanding when they argue about free speech.

Keep in mind, firing her is also more of a business decision, because if you associate with someone like her spewing out vile, others may not want to do business with you so you're left with fewer options.

I am afraid freedom of speech means a lot more than the mere ability to write or speak.

If you think that only bad people will be affected or cancelled, or face 'consequences' by a culture that allows people to lose their livelihoods based on opinions, then you need to read some history.

This path only leads to one outcome and it is very, very, very bad.

I am afraid freedom of speech means a lot more than the mere ability to write or speak.

If you think that only bad people will be affected or cancelled, or face 'consequences' by a culture that allows people to lose their livelihoods based on opinions, then you need to read some history.

No one is stopping her from freely speaking her mind.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start

To use a Star wars quote appropriate for this situation: "The ability to speak does not make you intelligent." She said stupid, unwarranted things, and just having freedom of speech does not defend repeating hateful things that have been disproven. Run into a crowded theater and shout "fire" and explain why you shouldn't be punished for causing an unwarranted panic.

To use a Star wars quote appropriate for this situation: "The ability to speak does not make you intelligent." She said stupid, unwarranted things, and just having freedom of speech does not defend repeating hateful things that have been disproven. Run into a crowded theater and shout "fire" and explain why you shouldn't be punished for causing an unwarranted panic.

What does being intelligent have to do with it?

This pathway of allowing and accepting 'consequences' of people's speech will only head in one direction.

I recommend everyone read The Gulag Archipelago by Solzhenitsyn.

Other than that, Christopher Hitchens made one of the best defences of free speech, even stupid speech, here:
    Creasy47 wrote: »

This is the main point that most seem to have issue with grasping and understanding when they argue about free speech.

No, we understand this point perfectly. It's just a really bad argument that's all.

Every society that took a cavalier attitude towards people's ability to express themselves with no consequences to their lives or livelihoods turned into very, very bad place very quickly.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    edited February 2021 Posts: 7,526

Who gets to decide? Good luck when you have to face the 'consequences' for something you have said.

Free speech is for everyone or it's for no-one. It protects people from both the state and the tyranny of the mob. Some very bad things happen when we forget those principles. One day the mob and the state are on your side and all is dandy when people get cancelled or fired. The next day you will find yourself on the opposite side to whoever is in power or whatever the prevailing critical orthodoxy of the day is. Then what?

I agree that holocaust comparisons are pathetic. Pedro Pascal also put out a Tweet which made a concentration camp comparison, a couple of years ago. He wasn't fired from anything though, and nor should he have been.

No it doesn't. It only protects people from the state. There's nothing in the first amendment about the "tyranny of the mob".

I agree with you about Solo, very fun film. Having just re-watched Return of the Jedi, I do kind of regret skipping Solo in my marathon; there's a lot of nice things in there re Solo, Lando, and the Falcon.

No it doesn't. It only protects people from the state. There's nothing in the first amendment about the "tyranny of the mob".

I agree with you about Solo, very fun film. Having just re-watched Return of the Jedi, I do kind of regret skipping Solo in my marathon; there's a lot of nice things in there re Solo, Lando, and the Falcon.

I know it doesn't. And that's the loophole people use. I think it is a cowardly argument. It allows for private corporations to do the censoring and the punishing in place of the state. This can be just as bad as if the government itself is doing the censoring and the punishing.

edited February 2021 Posts: 7,526

I know it doesn't. And that's the loophole people use. I think it is a cowardly argument. It allows for private corporations to do the censoring and the punishing in place of the state. This can be just as bad as if the government itself is doing the censoring and the punishing.

But didn't you say in the post I quoted that it did? And I thought in a free market it was good to allow corporations to do whatever they want?

I think you're making private corporations and the government to be more similar than they are / certainly than they should be. It's why these antitrust cases against Google and Facebook are so interesting because they're so large they have the power of small governments in some cases.

But didn't you say in the post I quoted that it did? And I thought in a free market it was good to allow corporations to do whatever they want?

I think you're making private corporations and the government to be more similar than they are / certainly than they should be. It's why these antitrust cases against Google and Facebook are so interesting because they're so large they have the power of small governments in some cases.

I am talking about a culture that takes a cavalier attitude to free speech, and accepts that people will lose livelihoods for private opinions. I think, in fact I know, that any society that follow this path will end very badly.

I don't agree private corporations should be able to do what they want, and a free market of ideas is totally different from an economic free market. The former is good, the latter bad.

I am not saying the answer is easy. If we allow unfettered speech (calls for violence is my line), then there clearly will be some ugly opinions expressed by certain people. But the alternative is far far worse. It has been proven the case time and time again through history.

I didn't mean to imply that YOU were being cowardly, by the way. Just they argument that you quoted.

Anyway, I am a free speech fundamentalist. I realise many people are not. But I just feel it is so important that people should consider the consequences of carrying on this path of punishing people through loss of work. It leads to a very ugly place.

Shall we get back to Star Wars? Solo reminded me of a good space adventure again, like Buck Rogers.

Free market.

Free market.

Terrible, isn't it?

I am talking about a culture that takes a cavalier attitude to free speech, and accepts that people will lose livelihoods for private opinions. I think, in fact I know, that any society that follow this path will end very badly.

Except they're not "private opinions", they were expressed very publicly for everyone to see. It's not like someone snuck into her house, illegally recorded her ill informed thoughts over the dinner table, and then posted it on social media for everyone to see.

Except they're not "private opinions", they were expressed very publicly for everyone to see. It's not like someone snuck into her house, illegally recorded her ill informed thoughts over the dinner table, and then posted it on social media for everyone to see.

Well, in my country there was an attempt to make something like this law - an actual attempt by government to pass laws that could criminalise speech in the home only this week. Thankfully it didn't pass.

All those of you who are defending private businesses firing people for what people have said, in public or not, seem to be under the impression you are immune from the 'cancellers' coming for you. You are assuming the fire you are helping to start won't consume you.

We're used to it in the USA. People got fired for dropping an f-bomb on TV (which I consider far less offensive than what Corano posted). If you drop the n-word in public, you're toast.

Well, in my country there was an attempt to make something like this law - an actual attempt by government to pass laws that could criminalise speech in the home only this week. Thankfully it didn't pass.

All those of you who are defending private businesses firing people for what people have said, in public or not, seem to be under the impression you are immune from the 'cancellers' coming for you. You are assuming the fire you are helping to start won't consume you.

Honestly, its hard to disagree here. My knee-jerk reaction is to think that I'm in no danger of being "cancelled"; to me it's no mystery why these people are facing the consequences they're facing, when you look at the things they're making public. But, to your point, who knows what the unpopular opinion will be tomorrow.

What are your thoughts regarding social media's responsibility for the current "cancel culture" climate? Without Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, etc., the world wouldn't know (or likely care) what Gina thought about anything and Dune would continue to be a part of Star Wars, to the benefit of fans of The Mandalorian.

It's been interesting reading and watching all the content coming out about the dangers of social media, and I think it's more to blame for this new culture we find ourselves in than it may seem.