How would you fix "The Man With Golden Gun" ?

124»

Comments

• RC7RC7
    I do love Bryden doing Coogan doing Partridge in A Cock and Bull Story.

Ha ha that is very good.

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Fix TMWTGG? Sack Mankiewicz and put Maibaum completely in charge. Mankiewicz was like the sorcerers apprentice. New brooms do not always sweep best.
  • How to fix TMWTGG? As this is my least favourite Bond film in it's current form, this is certainly my thread.

Part of it is Moore, but even he could have made it a serviceable film it was taken from the direction it should have been taken from. It should have been a gritty realistic film about a capable assasin wanting to kill Bond. So here's my ideas:
    Completely Remove:
    1. The Fun House
    2. Nick Nack
    3. Every Bond girl aside from Maud Adams
    4. Sheriff Pepper
    5. The Flying Car
    6. The whistle on the car jump
    7. Roger Moore (or at least make him so he wasn't sex-mad and perverted. Difficult, but it would have been worth it I think)
    8. The entire second half of the film
    Very Heavily Edit:
    1. The films' tone. Camp just wasn't for this film.
    2. Scaramanga. Make him less of a fool and more of a serious assasin. Christopher Lee easily could have pulled it off, he's a brilliant actor.
    3. The locale. Yawn.
    Add:
    1. A non-obnoxious Bond girl in Goodnight's place
    2. A non-obnoxious henchman in Nick Nack's place
    3. A new second half of the film that isn't awful.

It still would be far off my favourite, but it would elevate the film off the bottom spot, and if done well, out of the bottom 5 or even 10.

Just don't get Marc Foster to direct it, and you're fine :)
    I'd replace Roger Moore with Lazenby. I know George is a jerk, but he's a tough, cool Bond.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    #1 Remove the slide whistle sound effect.
    #2 Make the Kung-fu more 'Enter The Dragon'-like.
    #3..... ummmmm....
    Well, I guess I like the movie mostly as is. It's probably a nostalgia thing.
  • edited January 2014 Posts: 19,339
    Put this scene in it (go to 1min 20secs) and make the dual between Scaramanga and Bond longer and more suspenseful :

• edited January 2014 Posts: 11,189
    7. Roger Moore (or at least make him so he wasn't sex-mad and perverted. Difficult, but it would have been worth it I think)

Are you sure we aren't talking about DAD ;)

The last time I saw TMWTGG I cringed at the scene in the dressing room when he's kissing the dancer's chest:

"You really do have a...magnificent abdomen"

Talk about sleazy :-& :-& :-& I know he's hardly in the most angelic places but even so...I'm not sure Connery (at least in his prime) would have been as pervy as that.
    #1 - Get rid of JW Pepper. He pretty much completely ruins both LALD and TMWTGG for me. And I'm even from the south. He was just too much of a cheeseball character.

#2 - Allow Scaramanga to demonstrate more killings. Even target other 00s. He needs more credibility in this side of things.

#3 - Get rid of the hoaky, cheesefest of kung fu and replace it with one or two serious Ninja Opponents for Bond. It's just too easy for him, he obliterates those clowns. Even the girls kick their ass.

#4 - Simulate the water landing better. Roger looks so phoney when he leans forward a couple of times as he is landing. Always worth a good laugh or two.

#5 - Kill off Goodnight, and keep Andrea Anders alive as the baggable Bond Girl at the end.

#6 - Pull the stick out of M's ass and cheer him up at least one notch. He is so pissed off the entire movie. I understand what they are going for, but it just kind of ruins the character for me. Go for serious, but not mad bro.

#7 - Balance the film more with Roger's serious side(interrogating Andrea after she gets out of the shower). It's too much of a humor fest. I love some of the humor, but I think they leaned on it far too much during Roger's era.

I really loved this film when I was younger because it was so crazy, but with age it has dropped to the bottom of the barrel for me.
    Ed83 wrote:
    #1 - Get rid of JW Pepper. He pretty much completely ruins both LALD and TMWTGG for me. And I'm even from the south. He was just too much of a cheeseball character.

Totally agree with this.
  • Not the best Bond but I like this film. Any movie with Roger Moore and Chris Lee CAN'T be bad.
  • #1 Keep Clifton James involvement for a second year (Pepper was a great character), but omit the belligerent slide whistle sound effect from the somersault bridge

#2 The ending on the junk, with Villachaize attached to one of the top masts in a suitcase, needs to erased from all copies. Keep him out the way by all means, but that was just stupid

#3 The Karate school sequence mid-movie needs to be removed

#4 Bond on the structure at the Scaramanga fun house, when he loses his Walther and gets down to ground level in record time in near dark, needs to be amended, if not erased completely

#5 Another Bond girl instead of the substandard Britt Ekland

#6 Bond to have a tussle with Kra. At least give the latter something to do

#7 A little more choice of countries to take in, as events seem restricted with just the main Asia locations

#8 An extended and better showdown between Lee and Moore towards the end than what was featured. Not only for an actor the caliber of the former, but it was all over far too quickly, and left this viewer disappointed